Buying a House in Thailand.

And of course, a foreigner can own outright a house in Thailand, in their own name.

You paid for a house quite recently and you're a foreigner ...........

Is the house owned outright in your own name?

Irrelevant what my personal affairs are or are not, the fact is that a foreigner can own a house in Thailand, as you well know!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy a nice condo instead. It is more safe, you have lots of amenities like swimming pool, security guard, gym, etc and it will be in your name. No marriage is for ever and you never know when it end. Buying house means forget about your investment no matter if it is in his name, company name , etc

Hi Everyone

A huge thanks for the info. Well we have been married (civil partnership) for nearly 10 years so very settled and lived here and worked for 13, in that time we have ploughed 3 million into rent and have nothing to show for it. I went to Bangkok bank and they basically told me, yes he can own the land and my name can also go onto the loan, but for the building. I have rented most of my life and although it gives less worries, the property is never yours, and even if you sell it near the same value you get some back.

Also I like updating the houses we live in, but this just adds value to the owner. My idea would be to get a loan and pay it off as quick as humanly possible. Inside 10 years. if we leave Thailand in the future we would rent it out to cover some costs.

But I do hear what people are saying, and I know the horror divorce stories etc, but this specific house has my name written on it..

Can anyone who has bought a house let me know what they did after the mortgage interview. The bank mentioned it takes about 2-3 weeks including the house appraisal. They weren't interested in us having a lawyer, just sign the mortgage and that's it. There doesn't seem to be any need for land survey or structural surveys. Is this normal??

Thanks again everyone.

What mortgage interview ? And i have been through the process and as stated as a foreigner if buying a landed property you name cannot legally be on the mortgage except as a gurantor on the loan...its not your mortgage....you dont need a lawyer

And of course, a foreigner can own outright a house in Thailand, in their own name.

Irrelevant what my personal affairs are or are not, the fact is that a foreigner can own a house in Thailand, as you well know!

So you didn't, funny that ...... it might be that it's far more difficult to do than you suggest.

In fact, almost impossible, and if you spent any time investigating the matter, you would know that.

So let me clarify some of the reasons you can't.

1. You need to start with an empty plot.

2. You need to commission the build in your own name.

3. you need to get planning permission in your own name, and proceed at every step of the build in your own name.

4. If you go through all this correctly, still a risk that the man in the land office says 'no', then what you gonna do?

Once a house and land is registered as a single item with the land office, ownership of the home and land can't be split. So you can't buy a property already built.

Owning a 'knock down' wooden house on a bit of land you rent or lease, yep, that's totally doable, but few would be happy with that.

So you didn't, funny that ...... it might be that it's far more difficult to do than you suggest.

In fact, almost impossible, and if you spent any time investigating the matter, you would know that.

So let me clarify some of the reasons you can't.

3. you need to get planning permission in your own name, and proceed at every step of the build in your own name.

4. If you go through all this correctly, still a risk that the man in the land office says 'no', then what you gonna do?

Once a house and land is registered as a single item with the land office, ownership of the home and land can't be split. So you can't buy a property already built.

Owning a 'knock down' wooden house on a bit of land you rent or lease, yep, that's totally doable, but few would be happy with that.

OK, so you've agreed that a foreigner can own a house in Thailand, in their own name, cool! And with your usual negativity you've omitted that a number of property developers in Thailand will separate the land and house purchase on a new build whereby the two are registered in different names, with the house being registered to the foreigner, Supalai being one!

Snip>

<Snip

Excellent, a clear and precise list of the necessary tasks.

I have friends who line in Chiang Mai; it just so happens, that have done exactly that.

This is a good post because there is no confusion, everything is pointed out.

Cheers

how exactly please?? ( on the basis of no mortgage required )

Archived