Have I got the right stamp on Non O/A

I'm British, age 64 and have an Non Immigrant O/A M visa

I obtained this Visa in the UK on 4 Dec 2013 and it included an enter before date of 3 Dec 2014.

I entered Thailand for one trip and then came back and entered on 1 Dec 2014. At that point I got an "admitted until" stamp to 30 Nov 2015.

I did one 90 day report and then bought a re entry permit and departed on 16 May 2015.

When I returned to Thailand on 1 Sep 2015 I got an entry stamp with an admitted to date of 31 Aug 2016.

I was not expecting this. I thought I would only get one extra year on my original visa and that I would have to convert this to a retirement visa before 30 Nov 2015. I am worried that immigration have given me the wrong stamp and next time I present myself they will correct it to my disadvantage.

Can anybody tell me if I got the correct stamp and if so what happens on 31 Aug 2016.

Thank you in advance.

• I agree that you should have been given until Nov 30th 2015.

You've been given 1 year in error. If you go to immigration they will amend it.

No idea what happens if you don't confess the mistake.

Edited by elviajero

• I agree that you should have been given until Nov 30th 2015.
  • You've been given 1 year in error. If you go to immigration they will amend it.
  • No idea what happens if you keep don't confess the mistake.

Bad idea not to have it changed.

The OP is responsible for what is in his passport and if he "keeps" the erroneous date he could land in a world of overstay trouble.

• Like 1

OP - what you need to do any time after 1st November is to apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement (assuming, of course, that you can meet the relevant financial requirements). Indeed, even sooner if your immigration office is one of those which will entertain applications 45 days in advance.

But, first and foremost, you definitely need to make a separate visit to your immigration office at the earliest opportunity to get the latest "Admitted To" date in your passport corrected to 30th November.

Edited by OJAS

A learning moment for others.

Know what's in your passport.

Know what date to expect on the stamp when you return to Thailand.

Inspect the stamp as soon as you get it.

If they date is wrong, get it fixed right away, at the same entry point.

Question did the OP:

On your landing form did you put the visa number of of O-A visa or did you (as you should have) put the number of reentry permit?

Heard of these mistakes before. The stories are usually about not getting stamped in as long as your due rather than the opposite!

I'm pretty sure their error rate is low.

But not zero.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If you were planning to do an extension of stay based on retirement in November it's probably best to stick to that plan. When you go to immigration they will adjust anything that's needed.

I suppose you could but those are two separate things ... fixing the stamp and the new application.

If it was me, I would take care of that right away unless it was very inconvenient to do so.

• Like 1

Just a question for my own curiosity :

Is not the rule that whatever immigration stamps into your passport is valid?

Even if "wrong".

Immigration is staffed by human beings who deal with thousands (millions?) of passports every day. Very occasionally one of these human Immigration Officers will make an unintended error when stamping a passport.

It is the passport holder's responsibility to ensure they have received the stamp they were expecting.

A stamp made in error may or may not be "valid"

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 2

Even if "wrong".

No. For some things it might go unnoticed, but it is your responsibility to check dates, etc and request a correction be made. Of course quite often the passport holder thinks there's an error when there isn't and comes racing to TV to announce that immigrations made a mistake, when they didn't, but in this case it does appear an error was made. And if it is an error, whether you would gain or lose by it, you're expected to report it. It's not like winning the lottery.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Even if "wrong".

Immigration is staffed by human beings who deal with thousands (millions?) of passports every day. Very occasionally one of these human Immigration Officers will make an unintended error when stamping a passport.

It is the passport holder's responsibility to ensure they have received the stamp they were expecting.

No. For some things it might go unnoticed, but it is your responsibility to check dates, etc and request a correction be made. Of course quite often the passport holder thinks there's an error when there isn't and comes racing to TV to announce that immigrations made a mistake, when they didn't, but in this case it does appear an error was made. And if it is an error, whether you would gain or lose by it, you're expected to report it. It's not like winning the lottery.

A genuine question....

You both seem adamant that it's the responsibility of the foreigner to report/fix the problem. Where do get that information from?

It seems to me that it's the IO's responsibility to get it right in the first place and if IO makes an error the foreigner will gain or lose out accordingly. Surely if an IO stamps a passport with a given stay that person has the right to stay for the given time.

Even if "wrong".

A genuine question....

You both seem adamant that it's the responsibility of the foreigner to report/fix the problem. Where do get that information from?

It seems to me that it's the IO's responsibility to get it right in the first place and if IO makes an error the foreigner will gain or lose out accordingly. Surely if an IO stamps a passport with a given stay that person has the right to stay for the given time.

Sorry I disagree.

What you are attempting to argue is that someone with a single entry tourist visa which allows a 60 day stay would be "entitled" to remain longer if the IO made an error and stamped an entry for one year ie instead of xxx2015 the stamp read xxx2016.

I think that person, in failing to take any personal responsibility for what was in the passport, would get a very nasty 20,000 Bht shock when they eventually decided to leave.

This is not something "exclusive" to Thailand and when I last visited Australia I received an erroneous stamp but being a responsible person I checked my passport before leaving the vicinity of Immigration and the error was immediately corrected.

• Like 1

A genuine question....

Most governents operate on the notion that ignorance of the law is not a defense.

There are numerous reports on TV of people who have not checked and who acted on the incorrect entries. Such as...

They made a mistake on my extension -- but only by three days. I did not notice, and when I came back for the renewal right on the "due date," they discovered their error. They told me that the law was the law and an error did not change the law. As far as they were concerned, it was my responsibility to discover and report their error.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/591864-thai-immigration-stamp-error-6-year-stay/

Why not just wait a few more days, then you'll be in the 45-day window and can just apply for a one-year extension and get your permitted to stay stamp adjusted all in one trip.

Thanks for all the replies. It does confirm the stamp is wrong. I think I will go this week to get the stamp corrected and wait until November to get my annual extension of stay. Although that will require 2 trips it might end up being easier.

If it's me, I would go on Monday October19.

That's 43 days until November 30.

Start asking to get fixed the date for permission to stay.

Next do your extension based on retirement.

That is, if you have a valid income statement OR (/AND plus, if needed totalling ฿800,000 additional) money in the bank for at least three months with a bank statement made in the morning (30/11).

From an academic POV, now I'm curious, though not suggesting it.

Suppose in a case like the OP's he acts like he doesn't know it's an error, doesn't leave Thailand for awhile avoiding the need to apply for a reentry permit, and then applies for an annual retirement extension 30 days before his current (in error) permission to stay ends. Suppose at that time, the error isn't caught or is overlooked. If that happened (how likely would it not be caught?) then it seems to me with a new correct stamp, it might become ancient history as he'd have a new VALID stamp and no compelling reason to dig up the past again. Hmm.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

@ oncearugge and @ Suradit69

Thanks. I agree that someone should get any errors corrected and that ignorance isn't an excuse but I am wondering what the written law/regulation says about it. I assume it would say it's the foreigners responsibility.

Given the lack of knowledge some people have about visas and extensions of stay it is perfectly feasible that the foreigner doesn't know a mistake has been made. Obviously someone getting 1 year for a 60 day tourist visa should know/spot the mistake. But if you take someone in the OP's situation they entered twice and each time were given 1 year. They enter a third time and get another year. Assuming they don't know the rules as we do it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to think the year was correct.