Finding Lean Meats and Egg Whites

meer93

Beef ........ You go to any supermarket, select the cut that you like and ask them to mince it.

Eggs ........ You buy some eggs and separate the yolks from the whites, set aside the yellow bit for later use.

Yeah, no kidding, pretty easy to separate the egg yolk from the egg whites. Btw, the egg yolk isn't as bad as the 80's nutritional experts would have had you believe.

Wrt beef, I don't even bother in Thailand. If it's Thai beef, it's usually not to the standard I'd prefer...if it's imported, I'm not willing to pay the absurdly taxed premium for Aussie/New Zealand beef. As mentioned above, if you really want lean ground beef, have it ground by the meat department yourself. Otherwise, chicken and fish.

If it's Thai beef, it's usually not to the standard I'd prefer...

what about the chicken?

Tastes like chicken. tongue.png (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

IMO, Thai chicken tastes like chicken....it may not be as "plump" as the chicken to which you are accustomed but the taste/texture is similar. Thai beef, in my experience, is dry and stringy, chewy, not to my liking and lacks the flavor of the beef to which you may be accustomed (i.e., US/Australia/NZ/Argentina).

I have altered my eating habits to incorporate a lot more seafood as a dietary protein source in Thailand because it's relatively inexpensive, tastes good, and there are health benefits to increasing seafood in one's dietary intake.

I've searched for 8 years and I have found that the Rim Ping ground beef and pork is the leanest. I gave up on finding egg whites so I just separate the eggs. My puppy gets my yolks scrambled with two whole eggs. Don't have a puppy? Set out the yolks for the neighborhood cats. I love the feral cats. They eat baby snakes. I put the yolks on the outdoor spirit house and the cats climb up the ladder and eat them. Everyone wins. Another nice lean meat is the roast chicken at Tesco Lotus. I put the whole chicken, breast side down, in the fuzzy logic rice steamer with Thai brown rice. My puppy gets the rice and all the meat except the chicken breast which is lovely..,.soft, steamed, perfect. Zero fat. Why isn't it bland? Chiang Mai Pickled delivers pickles to my house and I eat the chicken breast with Spicy Mexican Carrots or one of 8 other pickles. Today was daikon and green tomato pickles accompanied by Canadian Bacon from Bangkok Meats at Makro plus egg whites.

Beef ........ You go to any supermarket, select the cut that you like and ask them to mince it.

Eggs ........ You buy some eggs and separate the yolks from the whites, set aside the yellow bit for later use.

Yeah, no kidding, pretty easy to separate the egg yolk from the egg whites.

Obviously. But if you have no immediate use for the yolk, it's both a waste and expensive to throw/give it away.

Back when I was working in a restaurant in farangland, we got egg yolks delivered in a five litre container. I can only assume a similar arrangement was possible for the missing egg whites. I'd try a bakery supply next. Perhaps YOK next to Hillkoff, not far from Chang Puak bus station would have it?

I'd be interested too, so please follow-up if you find a source.

Don't overlook pork loin. The Thai pork is very good and the loin appears to be very lean. You can easily cut off the fat around the edges.

As mentioned, eggs are so cheap here, I just separate out the yolks from the whites and give the cats a special treat. And after reading how the yolks aren't as bad as they say, I do a 3-1 ratio now. For every three eggs where I give the yolks to the cats, I toss in a whole egg for us.

I've given up on Thai beef a long time ago. Only eat it on special occasions in a restaurant and then I think it's imported from Australia.