Thailand expects seven million Chinese tourists in 2015

webfact

At Don Muang airport, I had to physically stop one from pushing to the front of the passport line, literally pushed others out of the way as I tried to get off the elevator, saw another be rude to the 7/11 staff (does it cost anything to say 'thank you'?) and back at the hotel enjoyed the delights of them shouting all the way through the meal.

I did not blame this on 'the media'.

Come back Russians, all is forgiven.

Didn't someone say only last week that 52 million tourists came through the airport last year. So 28 million is a 50% drop.

Shouldn't the tourist agencies get together once a week and at least agree on a figure they should all use.

The potential problem here is face as each agency will want their figure to be used but I'm sure the Minister of Tourism will insist on having the final exaggerated say.

I think what will happen if they put all of their 100 year old eggs into one basket and the place is swamped with people of PRC, then I believe people from other nations will stop coming as they have already. Hoards of people with their ill manners and lack of social awareness from the Peolples republic are no what people want to see on holiday. They will obviously do as other nationalities do and set up money making enterprises. I don't think the local folks who "Run Things"will be too impressed with that. Also I can see Ex-pats and families leaving Thailand if the hoard is as huge as they suggest and increasing. Shame really as they place is already a place of low quality and low safety which will get worse with the influence of PRC

Didn't someone say only last week that 52 million tourists came through the airport last year. So 28 million is a 50% drop.

Shouldn't the tourist agencies get together once a week and at least agree on a figure they should all use.

They count in and out so it's effectively 26m.

I thought we get plenty of Chinese in Chiang Mai already, but a couple months ago I visited Paris as a tourist for the first time and I could not have had a worse impression - it felt as if half of China was in Paris right at that moment. A major department store there was completely encircled by Chinese tour busses, inside was an utter madhouse of people shouting and pushing and definitely more than half the sales staff were ethnic Chinese obviously hired for their language skills. Yes, they DO spend, as long as you sell luxury brand name watches and handbags. All the tourist spots were overloaded with Chinese. The queue (if you could call it that) outside Versailles was chaotic and astronomical (you could see it from space). Inside was even worse, you literally could not see the mirrors in the Hall of Mirrors for all the Chinese taking selfies. After that experience I gave up plans visit the Louvre and left town for more peaceful surroundings. If this is also the future for Thailand, it's pretty grim.

Will all 7 million be spending their time standing in the middle of the road trying to get run over or just the ones who visit Chiang Mai?

No, some will stand in the entrance to 7-11 and blocking it. You then have the pleasure of physically removing them. And then you enter and push your way through the rest of them inside who are buying 15 packs of cookies and other random mind boggling stuff and paying with small change and arguing and running around and just making me very very tired.

Edited by Kaalle

Will all 7 million be spending their time standing in the middle of the road trying to get run over or just the ones who visit Chiang Mai?

No, some will stand in the entrance to 7-11 and blocking it. You then have the pleasure of physically removing them. And then you enter and push your way through the rest of them inside who are buying 15 packs of cookies and other random mind boggling stuff and paying with small change and arguing and running around and just making me very very tired.

Ive noticed in DM airport when waiting at Gates they all fill a water bottle up at the little water despensers before getting on the plane, heaven forbid you were thirsy on the flight and had to pay for something

Thats the law of the land in PRC, If a lorr hits a car its the Lorries fault if anything hits a pedestrian , its the car/lorries/motorbikes fault, thats why they all cross the road without looking and cars swerve all over the road to avoid them

A lot of jealousy on display today.

Very true , I'm full of envy sitting at the bar having a pint in Changi airport while they fill there bottles with water

And i saw sone chinese tourists buying designer bags at the Emquartier yesterday. Also saw some unwashed farangs sitting on the footpath near soi nana. So?

Very true , I'm full of envy sitting at the bar having a pint in Changi airport while they fill there bottles with water

And i saw sone chinese tourists buying designer bags at the Emquartier yesterday. Also saw some unwashed farangs sitting on the footpath near soi nana. So?

I was having a beer in DM on Sunay ate bar opposite Gate 24, where I was flying from , had a few an had a chat with the barman, just a kid bit nervous dealing with peole it looked like.Nice fella though. A late middle aged PRC couple came up and asked him for some hot water for their flask, must have had some tea leaves in their pocket. Barman told them 20 baht and they both starting shouting at him and gesticulating , he was a bit taken a back but still stood his ground. The looks of distain they gave. They'll enjoy themselves in the future if they are arguing about 20 baht, Big spenders ?