Cold temperatures hit Chiang Mai, hospitals see rash of pneumonia patients

webfact

Cold temperatures hit Chiang Mai, hospitals see rash of pneumonia patients

CHIANG MAI, 12 October 2015 (NNT) - The Public Health Office in Chiang Mai province has warned locals of falling temperatures and continuous rain.

Several areas in the province have experienced continuous rain as the region enters the winter season. This morning, Chiang Mai recorded lows of 20 degrees Celsius and Mueang district saw temperatures fall between 1 and 4 degrees Celsius from the same time yesterday.

The Public Health Office has issued health warnings, after a number of people were hospitalized with respiratory illnesses. Many suffered from cold or pneumonia, which are both caused by viruses that thrive in cold conditions.

Cold patients usually require a week to recover, but complications can arise, resulting pneumonia. Pneumonia symptoms include high fever, excessive coughing, hyperventilation, and discolored phlegm. Officials advise those exhibiting these symptoms to seek immediate medical attention.

Meanwhile in Bueng Kan province, morning temperatures held at 20 degrees Celsius. Local fishing operators suffered from poor visibility due to fog on the Mekong River.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-12 footer_n.gif

It is a complete myth that cold weather causes cold and infections, and it is a sign of rather shoddy "expertise" that these kind of warnings are given. See Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center website (and the vast majority of all reliable scientific evidence.)

"Evidence Against the Health Claim
It is clear that viruses and bacteria, not cold or wet weather, cause infections. Viruses and bacteria are often transmitted from person-to-person by inhaling them in the form of air droplets (from a sneeze or cough) or touching contaminated skin or surfaces and then touching the eyes or nose.
There is no evidence that humans can get a cold or other infection from exposure to cold weather, or from getting chilled or overheated. When scientists placed cold viruses directly into the noses of study participants before either exposing them to cold temperatures or not, they failed to find any connection between cold exposure and susceptibility to infection with common cold viruses. And a review in the December 2002 issue of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise concluded that there is no scientific support for the concept that exposure to moderately cold temperatures depresses immune function in humans."

- See more at: http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/Holistic-Health/Health-Myths-Center.aspx?ChunkID=156976#sthash.Ob0uKv4g.dpuf

Edited by partington

Yup, had to close the windows in the condo today and get out the cat sweaters to lure the cats out from under the table lamps when it got light enough in the morning that we wanted to turn off the lamps. The kitten (now nearly grown) had never worn a cat sweater and had her doubts, but when she saw the enthusiastic response of the big guy, she decided she'd stop trying wriggle out of it.

Right now Hubby is taking his pre-dinner nap and both cats are under the covers, capturing body his body heat.

It sure is rough on the pets when it gets below 22 deg C!

Edited by NancyL

Yup, had to close the windows in the condo today and get out the cat sweaters to lure the cats out from under the table lamps when it got light enough in the morning that we wanted to turn off the lamps. The kitten (now nearly grown) had never worn a cat sweater and had her doubts, but when she saw the enthusiastic response of the big guy, she decided she'd stop trying wriggle out of it.

Right now Hubby is taking his pre-dinner nap and both cats are under the covers, capturing body his body heat.

I doubt your cats suffer. They just curl the tail around and snooze.

Why is it that whenever the temperature changes a bit in thailand, everyone gets sick ? !!

I'm not talking about old people that are weaker and get sick easy.

I'M TALKING ABOUT 20 and 30 year old PEOPLE (mostly its girls).

almost every time the weather changes, they get sick.. (they need medicine, sometimes a intravenous-drip) !!

honestly.. if the people of this country ate their VEGETABLES and more FRUIT... and stop eating CAKE, Sweets, Popcorn, junk, candy, sweetened products, mayonnaise, cream, coke, pepsi, nestle products etc... and binging on over-perscribed medicines, then MAYBE the country wouldnt get sick every time the weather changes!!

old people have an excuse to get sick when the weather changes... but the youth of the country have no excuse!!

they honestly think that drinking a chicken broth (Brands Chicken essense) will actually make them healthy!!! honestly,, its laughable. if you know any people that get sick when the weather changes, then GET TOUGHER on them and TEACH THEM about FRUIT and VEGETABLES.. and to cut back on all the junk.. adn build up their immune system.

Why is it that whenever the temperature changes a bit in thailand, everyone gets sick ? !!

almost every time the weather changes, they get sick.. (they need medicine, sometimes a intravenous-drip) !!

honestly.. if the people of this country ate their VEGETABLES and more FRUIT... and stop eating CAKE, Sweets, Popcorn, junk, candy, sweetened products, mayonnaise, cream, coke, pepsi, nestle products etc... and binging on over-perscribed medicines, then MAYBE the country wouldnt get sick every time the weather changes!!

old people have an excuse to get sick when the weather changes... but the youth of the country have no excuse!!

they honestly think that drinking a chicken broth (Brands Chicken essense) will actually make them healthy!!! honestly,, its laughable. if you know any people that get sick when the weather changes, then GET TOUGHER on them and TEACH THEM about FRUIT and VEGETABLES.. and to cut back on all the junk.. adn build up their immune system.

Thai people don't eat fruit and vegetables.

Your in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

All the Thais I know when sick with cold and flu eat Khao Tom rice soup.

Maybe your knocking around with the wrong people.

Cats have fur coats. 20 .c. is a pleasant temperature for a cat. £0 c. is far too hot. In uk i have never seen a cat in a jacket. What a load of nonsense .

O M G! You have a heater???

Was taken by surprise by this sudden cold snap also. The car heater kicked in. biggrin.png

Based on past topics/posts guess I'm not surprised that others find it odd. There are rare times in Chiang Mai that I am glad to have it, probably a few days a year. Even has a defogger selection for the front window which also has been used when the glass mists up badly. For the curious, it is a Civic 2.0 and came standard with it. No need to select it, it is digital climate control and kept set at 27 C all the time so heater or AC kicks in automatically.

It's nice to see cool weather. Winter is approaching soon. It's been raining off and on since yesterday. I need info on medical coverage.

I came to Thailand last month. Since, I am 70+ years, I was told that no medical coverage for person after age 70. Is it possible to get medical coverage?

It's nice to see cool weather. Winter is approaching soon. It's been raining off and on since yesterday. I need info on medical coverage.

I came to Thailand last month. Since, I am 70+ years, I was told that no medical coverage for person after age 70. Is it possible to get medical coverage?

Only if you pay or are insured, Plenty of threads about insurance for the over 60s or lack of it.

For every day stuff I go to my local clinic 100 baht to see the doc an absolute bargain.Meds cheap as well two months supply of blood pressure tabs 120 in total 140 baht.

Best to ask here - Insurance in Thailand

I believe there are ways but it won't be cheap.

There's cold weather, and there's cold weather. As far as I am aware, however, the cold weather might reduce resistance, but otherwise has little to do with the viral, bacterial or fungal causes of pneumonia. Otherwise, the germs would have a fine old time in the Arctic and the Antarctic. When I suffered a bout in April, the hospital said it was a common occurrence, invariably due to dust in the air. That I can believe.

"hospitals see rash of pneumonia patients"

I love that use of the collective noun. What would they use to describe the situation if the subject was eczema ?

BWAAA lol. Best thing I could read after 2 hours reading about the B2 and KT. I will now sing in response " Freezer jolly good fellow "

Thai people don't eat fruit and vegetables.

Your in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

All the Thais I know when sick with cold and flu eat Khao Tom rice soup.

Maybe your knocking around with the wrong people.

Are you taking the pss Stoneyboy?

Don't really understand what you are trying to say.

But, for what it is worth...steamed rice has hardly any vitamins and this is what Thai eat.

There is an abundance of vegetables and fruits, but Thai prefer their prik sauce with rice and deep fried stuff, but little fruit and vegetables.

Count this up with excessive use of sugar and big lack of sleep and you can wait for the consequences.

Cats have fur coats. 20 .c. is a pleasant temperature for a cat. £0 c. is far too hot. In uk i have never seen a cat in a jacket. What a load of nonsense .

But these are thai cats, very rare and special breed.

Circusman -- you obviously haven't been in Thailand very much. The Thai people are considerate and know their animals are acclimated to the climate, just as they are, so they purchase little coats and sweaters for their pets and put them on when when they put on their own puffy parkas.

This morning I woke to find Hubby and the cats huddled around the toaster oven for warmth. Not making toast or anything, just standing around the oven and watching TV. The cats were relieved when I put on their little kitty tee shirts and I reminded Hubby where he keeps his jacket. He mumbled something how he didn't get his jacket out of the bedroom closet because he didn't want to disturb my slumbers. No excuse for the cats, however. I'd left their kitty clothes in easy reach and he had to admit they'd been sitting on them earlier, probably trying to send him kitty brain waves.

Now that the toaster over is off, one cat is sitting on top of it, enjoying the residual warmth. The other is on top of the Truevisions box -- always a favorite spot because it's warm. If 20 deg is a "pleasant temp" for cats, then how come that Truevisions box is always contested by the cats?

Edited by NancyL