Toyota 3.0L Diesel stall

kokesaat

Drove into town again today.....edging my way into a roundabout, the truck began to stall. I was able to get it through the roundabout, but hardly any power......no engine check light, but the engine does seem to rattle more when it's in this condition. After I got through the roundabout, I goosed the accelerator and got the engine running normally again. Stopped for an errand shortly afterward and the problem did not reoccur. Did another 5 stop and go errands around town without incident. Sigh!

Of course the problem could be caused by a variety of things, but one of my in-laws who drives an Isuzu 3.0L truck recently had a similar problem. After about a month of checking this and that based on friends recommendations he took it to the Isuzu dealership....they knew what the problem was right off the bat...a sticking valve in the fuel pump. He got that valve replaced along with some other minor work like replacing the diesel fuel filter, etc., ...cost him about Bt5,000 and two hours in the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% sure if the problem is solved, but here's what I've done over the past few weeks:

1. Added a can of diesel additive to a 3/4 tank of fuel.

2. Ran the truck much harder than I normally do.

3. Filled up with a tank of PTT premium diesel.

4. Just did a 700km round trip.

Lots of highway and plenty of stop and go traffic during the past few weeks. No hints of studder/stall. Is the problem fixed? Can't say for sure.......but seems to be for the time.

I'll update if I encounter the same problem again. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• 1 month later...

My truck went into lurch mode again while in town, so I went to my Toyota dealer to inquire. I told the tech there was a ghost in my truck.....explained how it only seemed to happen in town where I might be stopping/going often in traffic.

The first mechanic checked and said he couldn't duplicate the problem (I sort of figured that), but then they called the master tech......he checked and said it was the Suction Control Valve SCV.......they replaced it......and my airbag (on recall, although no one notified me). The valve cost 2830 baht.....I checked on line and that's the going price whether you go to a Toyota dealer or order online, so I don't feel bad. Getting a service bill from a dealer here........450 Baht for labor. Oh, I don't even want to think about the labor charges back in the US.

I'll call this case closed.....unless I have the problem again (dealer told me he'd guarantee the problem fixed.....so we'll see).

Thanks again for everyone's input.