Sourcing Spare Parts For Chevrolet Optra

UKJASE

Hey guys,

our chevrolet optra is playing up, and sounds like a bus. the guy at the chevrolet dealer, here in hua hin, says that the power steering pump is on its way out.

the cost to replace this was quoted as 17,000 B facepalm.gif

i looked on ebay and the price of the part there is 3,500 B, except the part is located in USA

does any one know a good parts distributor i could use instead of having to rely on Chevrolet? the local garage could fit it for me i am sure.

any good spare parts dealers here in hua hin, or online that i could use, and they would post the item?

also, does anyone know what the good brands are, that can be used as alternatives to original chevrolet parts? wai.gif

Have you tried Worachak in Bangkok?

Thanks Phil2 - i had never heard of Worachak, but it sounds ideal

googling that, lead me to this thread too, which gives lots of info

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/101933-biggest-car-accessories-plaza-in-bangkok/

nobody mentions any mail order / online shops or sites though, to save a journey to the big smoke

anyone know of any postage options, for those outside of bangkok?

Hi, sorry if this isn't helpful as my experience was in Bangkok, not Hua Hin, but I used to own a Chevrolet Aveo and completely understand the high prices being quoted. In my case, the AC compressor was a 14,000 baht repair and I went through the same motions of searching online and finding much lower prices on US websites.

However, when I contacted an independent garage I trusted in Bangkok, they revealed that while the could carry out the work, they'd actually buy the parts from Chevrolet. It was weird that they were so honest about it but they pointed out that as I had a Platinum Chevrolet card with a 10% parts-discount and 15% labor discount, it would work out cheaper getting the repair work done at Chevrolet. Odd experience as I generally go through life in Thailand expecting to get ripped off but there you go.

Thanks Jadee - i am getting the same message too from the garages i have spoke to.

it seems that chevrolet parts here are very expensive, and the only way to source any parts that fit, is by going through chevrolet. our local garage told us this yesterday.

it seems strange though that there are so many chevrolets on the roads, and the parts are so expensive, yet no one is producing parts for the market at a lower price that undercuts chevrolet's original parts.