Leaving for good during 7-day grace period

I am confused as all get-out. I have been up and down this forum looking for a straight answer but I'm seeing different answers everywhere.

My 90-day reporting is due October 24th. I am flying out of the country for good on October 29th. Do I still have to do 90-day reporting even though my leaving date is within the 7-day grace period?

One thread said a straight-up "YES". Another thread said "NO", that Departure Immigration at the airport won't care. I don't understand why the answer would be "YES". Seems pretty stupid to waste time doing a report if I'm leaving during the grace period and not planning on returning.

I'm also wondering because I've stayed at 2 hotels here in the past 2 weeks. Both checked my passport and the 90-day report slip inside and took note. I'm due to check into a hotel on October 26th. If that hotel sees that my 90-day report was due on the 24th, I wonder if they'll refuse to let me stay (even if they know about the 7-day grace period). But if I have a copy of my flight itinerary with me and tell them that I'm leaving, will that make my case for me?

Thanks!

I very much doubt that hotel receptionists are interested in or know anything about 90 day reports.

Strictly speaking you should make the report, there is no "grace period" just a window of time during which the report can be made.

However, if you are leaving and never intend returning there is no chance of your failure to report having any adverse outcome.

Edit.

if the 90 day report slip is not in the passport no one can see it.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 2

However, if you are leaving and never intend returning there is no chance of your failure to report having any adverse outcome.

* If you are leaving for good there is no need to report.

That seems bad advice to me. You can never say never. Imagine his friends of family decide a trip in Thailand in 10 or 20 years. Computers never forget. I am not sure it will be fun to start the trip with a visit to the airport immigration office to pay a 5'000 (?) baht fine...

Any problem would belong to the OP not the family or friends!

Is the "computer" aware of all the OP's family and friends?

• Like 2

That seems bad advice to me. You can never say never. Imagine his friends of family decide a trip in Thailand in 10 or 20 years. Computers never forget. I am not sure it will be fun to start the trip with a visit to the airport immigration office to pay a 5'000 (?) baht fine...

It is not bad advice because it was specific to the OP's question "about leaving for good".

Why would his family or friends be affected. It's nothing to do with them.

The only chance the OP has of ever being fined would be to return and visit an immigration office. And even then they would only be fined if the IO noticed the outstanding report and decided to fine. The fine for a late report would be 2,000 baht.

• Like 2

Any problem would belong to the OP not the family or friends!

Of course I was talking of the OP!

But isn't it obvious that when I wrote that message,

I meant he (the OP) would have to be part of the group too ?

even if 10 years ago he thought he would never come back...

There is also a 7 days grace period for reporting. If your dates are correct nothing has to be done.

There is no "grace period" merely a window of time during which a 90 day report can be made. 15 days prior to the due date and 7 days after.

So in realty it will be 7 days grace as the report window us as stated 15 days before 7 days after and no penalty incured

• Like 2

There is also a 7 days grace period for reporting. If your dates are correct nothing has to be done.

There is no "grace period" merely a window of time during which a 90 day report can be made. 15 days prior to the due date and 7 days after.

So in realty it will be 7 days grace as the report window us as stated 15 days before 7 days after and no penalty incured

Clearly your understand and comprehension of language is very different to mine.

If a "grace period" existed it would have to be a period of time OUTSIDE the official reporting window.

Immigration at an airport does not care about 90 day reporting.

The records for 90 day reporting are only kept on a computer at the local immigration office.

• Like 2

OP you have your answer. Just remember there is a saying "never say never" Why not do the report. Think you can do it online or by post. As one poster pointed out you may wish to return for visit one day. It's not a big deal.

• Like 1

You can do 90 days reporting 7 days late without penalty. If that explains it.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you are allowed to stay in the country for 97 days without ever reporting.

In the O/P's case it won't be a problem because he is not going to be returning to his local immigration office in future and no one else cares about it.

If he, or anyone else, left the country after staying 97 days without doing the report, and if he then later returned and needed to deal with his local immigration office, that 7 days grace period for doing the report wouldn't save him from a fine. Once he had been in country for 90 days or more and if he had not reported before exiting the country, future dealings with his local immigration office, if any, would most likely expose him to a fine.

Clearly your understand and comprehension of language is very different to mine.

If a "grace period" existed it would have to be a period of time OUTSIDE the official reporting window.

Clearly your understanding of politeness is very diffrent from mine

A grace period is the 7 days after the report date.

• Like 1

I very much doubt that hotel receptionists are interested in or know anything about 90 day reports.

Strictly speaking you should make the report, there is no "grace period" just a window of time during which the report can be made.

Edit.

I done my last 90 day report in July on the 7th day after the report was due! No Hassles or penalties in Jomtien Soi 5.

If the the slip is not in the passport, Immigration will still look at what type of visa stamp and DATE is in the passport! which wont show the 90 day reporting date, only the Visa expiry date,could possibly result in overstay charges.

• Like 1

Edit.

I done my last 90 day report in July on the 7th day after the report was due! No Hassles or penalties in Jomtien Soi 5.

If the the slip is not in the passport, Immigration will still look at what type of visa stamp and DATE is in the passport! which wont show the 90 day reporting date, only the Visa expiry date,could possibly result in overstay charges.

"Overstay " charges for what ?

Overstay cannot be generated by failing to make a 90 day reports and airport immigration officers are not interested in or involved with 90 day reports.

Dear OP ... to respond to your question and comment on the threads one saying yes and the other saying no ... well both are correct. This is Thailand. Always have a few thousand handy when you deal with Immigration.

• Like 1

Dear OP ... to respond to your question and comment on the threads one saying yes and the other saying no ... well both are correct. This is Thailand. Always have a few thousand handy when you deal with Immigration.

You suggesting BOTH are correct. Has this actually happened to you or friend, or your posting a theory?

I would prefer to listen to the experienced members for my advice. That advice has been clearly provided.

Edited by jacksam

regardless of the rhetoric, he's leaving before the 7 day window closes. No danger, no need to report.

• Like 1

regardless of the rhetoric, he's leaving before the 7 day window closes. No danger, no need to report.

• I doesn't matter if she leaves on day 91 or day 291 a report wasn't made. The 7 day window is irrelevant.
  • The "grace period" only applies to people actually reporting within 7 days late, and the "grace" is waiving the late penalty fine.
  • Like 1

You will not need report . You have up to 7 days after the 90 day report date to actually do it. You are exiting within that time. There is nothing genuinely that can be a problem. Plus at exit it is true that the 90 day report is apparently of no interest anyway.

Many times I have left Thailand with a re entry permit and the 90 report paper has never been opened....and on occasionit has been over the correct reporting date by up to 10 days.

• Like 1

Rules are rules and to be enforced at the discretion of the immigration officer(s)

In your case, when you show up at immigration they MAY make you pay a fine for non compliance and fine you what ever the fine is relative to the infraction of the immigration law...... maybe 1000 baht or up to the maximum fine of 5000 baht ( according to the posted rules and regulations for non compliance of your 90 day reporting period or periods that you did not report )....but they may very well just waive it while they will not be throwing you in jail.

Not a serious infraction of the immigration regulations.

Cheers

Edit.

Being late on a 90 day report is not an overstay simply because your extension is still valid.. so you cant be on an overstay....think your confused

Yes, but that doesn't mean you are allowed to stay in the country for 97 days without ever reporting.

So you are saying you're allowed to report on the 97th day, but you're not allowed to stay in Thailand from the 91st day onwards?

As long as the OP moves out of Thailand, forever or temporarily, before the last day he is obliged to report, which is the 97th day, he doesn't break any immigration rule.

This is of course taken in account that he has a valid visa or extension of stay.

So you are saying you're allowed to report on the 97th day, but you're not allowed to stay in Thailand from the 91st day onwards?

As long as the OP moves out of Thailand, forever or temporarily, before the last day he is obliged to report, which is the 97th day, he doesn't break any immigration rule.

This is of course taken in account that he has a valid visa or extension of stay.

You can leave the country whenever you want. But if you have a 90 day report due you need to do it before leaving after the due date. The 7 days is only to do the report.

In the OP's case he will not be doing a 90 day again since he does not plan on coming back so he would not be caught for not doing the report. If a person is going to return and do more 90 day reports they may notice the report was not done and fine you for not doing it.