How my bills in Thailand are ฿8000 baht a month or about (£150, $230)

yacobm8

You'd be shocked at how much I can afford: almost as much as you'd be shocked at how little I need.

There's a critical tipping point when homo sapiens sapiens goes from being an ape with an appetite into being a human being with a mind and a frame of reference laugh.png

If that point isn't reached men remain 15 years old and women get leading roles in Abigail's Party. thumbsup.gif

after 9 years Thaivisa there's nothing left that could shock me laugh.png

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a bread maker here. I had one in the uk and used to make my own with honey can u get the right flower here the one for bread makers

3 cups of flour (any kind or combo of). 1/4 tsp dried yeast. 1 tsp salt. 1 tsp sugar. 1 - 2 tbs oil (I like olive, which is relatively cheap here), 1 1/2 cups water (about, depending on heaviness of flour). Toss everything in a bowl, cover in clingfilm and leave overnight. Next morning, tip it all out onto floured surface. Form into 'loaf' size with extra flour/floured hands. Cover with damp loth for 1.5 - 2 hours. Chuck in pre heated oven at 450c for 30 minutes. Ta dah! YT is your friend thumbsup.gif

where do you find an oven that heats up to 450ºC? ohmy.png obviously you mean 450ºF.

Well the reason you don't find any post like that is because it is not a living but surviving, but good for you to be able to live on such a budget and happy for you to have such a wonderful understandable gf

I take it you mean understanding. Still don't understand why you would call her that. He pays the majority of the bills. I feel sorry for you if the only girls you've met are those who expect 5 star luxury but are willing to contribute nothing towards it.

Well the reason you don't find any post like that is because it is not a living but surviving, but good for you to be able to live on such a budget and happy for you to have such a wonderful understandable gf

I take it you mean understanding. Still don't understand why you would call her that. He pays the majority of the bills. I feel sorry for you if the only girls you've met are those who expect 5 star luxury but are willing to contribute nothing towards it.

A lot of western men pay their wives to sit at home and do nothing. In many cases these women don't clean the house (they employ maids) and can't even cook. These women also make zero effort to learn English.

You'll often find that men who talk a little too much about their finances are married to women like this.

Saddest of all is that these women are seldom genuinely attractive or "special" in any way.

Edited by Fabricus

A lot of western men pay their wives to sit at home and do nothing. In many cases these women don't clean the house (they employ maids) and can't even cook. These women also make zero effort to learn English.

You'll often find that men who talk a little too much about their finances are married to women like this.

Saddest of all is that these women are seldom genuinely attractive or "special" in any way.

half the fellas who are here have allready left women like that in there own country, that's why their here..

I would strongly suggest that you start looking for some accident/health insurance. There is no slack at Thai hospitals; if you don't have money, you do not get treated beyond basic stabilization. A motorbike accident with a broken leg can cost you TB200,000.

a top of the line pacemaker cum defibrillator can cost THB 1.245 million. that's what i paid two weeks ago whistling.gif

Long may your lum reek Naam! :)

Do you have a bread maker here. I had one in the uk and used to make my own with honey can u get the right flower here the one for bread makers

3 cups of flour (any kind or combo of). 1/4 tsp dried yeast. 1 tsp salt. 1 tsp sugar. 1 - 2 tbs oil (I like olive, which is relatively cheap here), 1 1/2 cups water (about, depending on heaviness of flour). Toss everything in a bowl, cover in clingfilm and leave overnight. Next morning, tip it all out onto floured surface. Form into 'loaf' size with extra flour/floured hands. Cover with damp loth for 1.5 - 2 hours. Chuck in pre heated oven at 450c for 30 minutes. Ta dah! YT is your friend thumbsup.gif

where do you find an oven that heats up to 450ºC? ohmy.png obviously you mean 450ºF.

Fletchsmile got close to one once back in the annals of time!

half the fellas who are here have allready left women like that in there own country, that's why their here..

Left, or got dumped by?

I didn't realise living here was some kind of competition the winner being the person who lives here the most cheaply or 'like a Thai'. Can I play?

I don't get it? Why would somebody desire to live like a Thai? The poor Thais live a pretty difficult life so why emulate them? Seems to me that if one has experienced poverty or living 'hand to mouth' one strives to avoid that experience in the future.

When necessity drives anyone can live cheaply and it can even be bearable if one is in the right circumstances or with someone else to share the adventure but it is not a permanent (one hopes) state of affairs.

Seriously, did someone say that foreigners cannot live cheaply because they spend all their money on beer and women and that older men have to pay more for a younger girlfriend. How long have those poster lived here to make such startlingly naive remarks???

A teenager spends only 8000 baht a month and medals are metaphorically awarded?

A simple 'why do you feel it important to share that information unprompted' would have sufficed.

Left, or got dumped by?

in my case it was dumped by, the reason being was because I had flat feet, when I asked her what she meant?she said you've allways got your fukin feet in other women's flats...

The OP is just sharing his lifestyle and finances and other people are commenting on it. I assume he is in his early 20s. No one's lifestyle is permanent at that age (if ever). He has everything he needs at this stage of his life (except health insurance).

I like reading about peoples' minimalist lifestyles and I appreciate the fact that he posted.

2000 thb for monthly rent in Phatthanakan area near the skylink line.

Room: 35 sqm with ceiling fan plus a small room for storage. Decent bathroom, no kitchen, two balconies, 3rd (top) floor.

I cycle to nearby huge Tesco around 9-10 pm almost every day. Many Thais go there at the same time to catch the late discount deals. Cheapy food prices drop from 50 to 2 (yes 2) and up to 10 bath per item regarding salads, vegetables, fish, soups, fruits, pizzas, milk, donuts etc

I don't drink alcohol. My Thai gf brings me a well cooked meal everyday since her school is 2 minutes walk...she's teaching there.

When going downtown I use the railway. 2 to 3 baht per trip to Makasan, Asoke, Phaya Thai etc.

Around 4000 to 5000 the most I believe.

48 btw.

Room: 35 sqm with ceiling fan plus a small room for storage. Decent bathroom, no kitchen, two balconies, 3rd (top) floor.

I cycle to nearby huge Tesco around 9-10 pm almost every day. Many Thais go there at the same time to catch the late discount deals. Cheapy food prices drop from 50 to 2 (yes 2) and up to 10 bath per item regarding salads, vegetables, fish, soups, fruits, pizzas, milk, donuts etc

I don't drink alcohol. My Thai gf brings me a well cooked meal everyday since her school is 2 minutes walk...she's teaching there.

When going downtown I use the railway. 2 to 3 baht per trip to Makasan, Asoke, Phaya Thai etc.

48 btw.

Just wait somebody will say... "but but but you can't get anything for less than 15,000 a month in Bangkok".. coffee1.gif

Funnily enough, I have seen places for 1200 a month in Bangkok. Wifi included in the deal. Could possibly beat them down to below a crisp 1,000 note.

2 baht? How is it even worth the time and energy to reprice let alone the cost of those waiting to buy it at 2 baht instead of 50 baht?

50 bht goes down to 10, rarely 12. I estimate around 3.75 to 8 for most goods. I often see a bunch waiting myself included sometimes. It's fun!

These types of topics have been around for a decade and the person never has health insurance.

You are correct on the latter.

I am in Thailand for around 6 months in total and so far I have visited two gov hospitals, Siriraj and Sirindhorn. Nice services and prices as well.

Now I need to find a long term stay condition and a health insurance thereafter.

Interesting one poster have a apartment here, empty for 4 months at one stretch. Cases like this, do you disconnect and connect all utilities? Given the service level.

Another post mentioned he wished he had come to Thailand in his early 20's. This to me is a no no unless you have a mega pay job here. I just out a guy who has been here for more than 10 years now has to leave in order to take care of him parents. Having worked here on local terms, virtually no savings, i wonder what sort of job he can get back in Europe, never the set skill, his job here has virtually no relevance in his home country. Then his 1 income has to feed 4, maybe his dad has pension. Wife definitely cant work there due to language issue. My forecast for this guy, in 10 to 15 years time when parents no longer around, he'll be back in a flash. Dont see how he can retire there. I guess back to los with a bit of money from the estate he'll have a more comfortable life. The wife by then would have no skill relevant. No sure 7-11 would hire a old lady.

Worst case scenario, guy might look for a younger and sweeter

48 btw.

And, do you live this lifesyle of yours out of necessity, a phase you're going thru? Not judging...just curious is all.

Interesting one poster have a apartment here, empty for 4 months at one stretch. Cases like this, do you disconnect and connect all utilities? Given the service level.

Another post mentioned he wished he had come to Thailand in his early 20's. This to me is a no no unless you have a mega pay job here. I just out a guy who has been here for more than 10 years now has to leave in order to take care of him parents. Having worked here on local terms, virtually no savings, i wonder what sort of job he can get back in Europe, never the set skill, his job here has virtually no relevance in his home country. Then his 1 income has to feed 4, maybe his dad has pension. Wife definitely cant work there due to language issue. My forecast for this guy, in 10 to 15 years time when parents no longer around, he'll be back in a flash. Dont see how he can retire there. I guess back to los with a bit of money from the estate he'll have a more comfortable life. The wife by then would have no skill relevant. No sure 7-11 would hire a old lady.

that works IF he gets some large inheritance,

if not, he has no work history and his future is pretty bleak. thats what large gaps in thailand at an early age will do to you.

that works IF he gets some large inheritance,

if not, he has no work history and his future is pretty bleak. thats what large gaps in thailand at an early age will do to you.

Yes that happen to a friend of mine was making money here with something for years, that went wrong, and now he struggling here but can't go home because he's never even had a job in the uk, but to tell the truth i don't think he is that worried better to be here then working for peanuts in the uk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

48 btw.

And, do you live this lifesyle of yours out of necessity, a phase you're going thru? Not judging...just curious is all.

I have always been low maintenance, not thrilled by fancy or luxurious things as well. Im not wealthy either.

Believe it or not, most Thais I've met are richer than me.

Edited by mpa

Good on you mate, and you do have a keeper by the sound ofit, atleast a women that isnt with you for the money which sounds like true love... good luck to you and your mrs for the future

btw did you know you seem to have a burgler in your room? :P

48 btw.

The bagged curries freeze, so if you see a load at 6.5 baht, which seemed to be a favoured pluck-from-the-air figure, by them all and freeze them!

Putting a frozen curry in a rucksack and taking a long walk, and then buying 10 baht's worth of rice just at the point where the curry is thawed and hitting 30C, is basically an art form. biggrin.png

I lived in a room much the same in Bkk, 8 or so years ago. Room started at 2,600 and was very plain. So much so that a visiting family member looked at me like a leper when he first saw the room...couldnt believe i would choose to live 'like that' when i had money and choices.

My father used to say there are a few things in life one must experience. Two of the biggies was owning a house/your own land, and owning brand new car.

To me, these things are in the same league as people holidaying in places so they can say 'ive been there'

It doesnt really mean much in the end. Ive owned a nice 4bdr brick house and owned 2 new cars but now i can live in Bangkok renting a small condo, owning no car and still be as content as i was when i had all the trappings.

Good on the OP for his minimalistic budgeting skills..with the money he saves now, he will be able to stay wherever he pleases,

and probably last out a lot longer after the "i spend 100k a month' wahnkers have all had to go home

Just to echo the above sentiments of Bamukloy, you can learn a lot about yourself by living frugally, even if you aren't forced to do so out of necessity.

It's a real confidence builder to know that if in a pinch, if you needed to, you could get by on a shoe string budget.

You can also learn to empathize with people who are less fortunate than yourself by living as they do.

It also provides a reprieve from being surrounded by material objects, and allows you to reflect on what's really important in your life.

Simple living is an effective time management tool as well: less clutter, less cleaning, less maintaining, fewer decisions, more time to focus on your personal goals.

If language study is your goal, to the extent that it encourages hanging out and being out-and-about rather than cooped up in a high rise condo all day, there's something to be said for a low budget lifestyle.

I've personally found wealth to be fairly isolating in my life. While I'm grateful I'm not forced to live on an austere budget, I do look back fondly at the periods of simple living in my life.

I think people are seriously getting ripped off and it's sad. My gf townhouse has 2 aircons. One air-con is left overnight (let's say 10 hours every night). The other one during the day is used around 6 hours a day. Let's say 15 hours of non stop air-con a day. Total monthly bill is less than thousand baht.

You didn't state how many BTU's genius. The more BTU's the more cost it will be to run them.

I didn't realise living here was some kind of competition the winner being the person who lives here the most cheaply or 'like a Thai'. Can I play? I don't get it? Why would somebody desire to live like a Thai? The poor Thais live a pretty difficult life so why emulate them? Seems to me that if one has experienced poverty or living 'hand to mouth' one strives to avoid that experience in the future. When necessity drives anyone can live cheaply and it can even be bearable if one is in the right circumstances or with someone else to share the adventure but it is not a permanent (one hopes) state of affairs. Seriously, did someone say that foreigners cannot live cheaply because they spend all their money on beer and women and that older men have to pay more for a younger girlfriend. How long have those poster lived here to make such startlingly naive remarks??? A teenager spends only 8000 baht a month and medals are metaphorically awarded? A simple 'why do you feel it important to share that information unprompted' would have sufficed.

Well, Marx said that however adequate a home is it becomes a hovel if someone builds a castle next to it. But Marx was an arrogant idiot, who also (conversely) described commodity fetishism - attributing powers to inanimate objects that they just don't have.

I think you need to draw a distinction between i) Thais living in really cramping poverty, and ii) the level of comfort, nutrition and leisure that a farang can obtain for a modest outlay. Nobody wants to be working 40 hours in terrible heat just to meet their basic needs, and that's how the poor in Thailand live. But if you can spend 10,000 baht a month on yourself without working you're off-the-scale more comfortable than this imagined poor Thai worker.

A lot of people define themselves by what they buy and what sociological category they fit into: their only idea of themselves is the idea that they think other people have to have of them given their objective circumstances. If this wasn't pathetic American Beauty wouldn't be a great movie.

It's also the case that while many farangs live on index-linked pensions, and it's hard to imagine circumstances where they could end up in the s**t, many don't. Diminishing marginal utility tells us that additional units of spending buy you progressively less in the way of happiness. A $300,000 car is better than a $30,000 car, but it isn't ten times better. An awful lot of people live in ways that mean a little nudge, a little change in their circumstances, would mean that they would go from spending freely to having damn all. I've been watching steelworkers in the UK talking about how they are now completely in the crap because they've lost their £50,000 job. Some of them have worked in the industry for decades, they knew that it was likely to be a very difficult sector in a downturn, and they never thought for two nanoseconds that the time to prepare for the high water times was when the river was low.

Every month that you spend 10,000 baht when you could spend 100,000 is another nine months that you could live equally well if your income stream stopped.

I want to quote Henry Rollins who actually was quoting some one else who I can't remember

"Money can't make you happy but it can buy you a big boat to pull up right next to it"

I think a person can be happy with very little as long as he has a roof over his head and ant hungry and has some love in his life

Some of the people on here might have 10x as much money but I bet they ant 10x as happy!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk