Suvarnabhumi: A Traveller's Lament

svenivan

As flight TG 401 touched down at the futuristic-looking Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday night, the inefficiency of this new Bt150-billion facility took me and other passengers by surprise.

The impressive view from the outside, of architectural structures bathed in blue light, gave way to appalling design flaws and apparent mismanagement by officials.

"It's a new airport, so why did we have to board a bus [after deplaning]?" asked a fellow THAI traveller from Singapore.

Less than two minutes later we were stuck in a bottleneck at the only escalator from the ground floor up to the first floor. We wondered why more planning wasn't put into such a crucial matter.

Then after a considerable hike past a few duty-free shops, I arrived at the hi-tech immigration desk. It was speedy and convenient. But as I got through the counter and proceeded to find out where to reclaim my luggage, my eyes were dazzled by four flashing TV monitors with letters so tiny that anyone over 40 or with reading difficulties would have a hard time deciphering the messages.

After a few minutes of eye-straining search, I discovered that I had to go to carousel 18. But wait! When I got there, the overhead display said the luggage coming through belonged to flights from Siem Reap and Seoul, not Singapore!

There weren't enough luggage carts and it took me 10 minutes to get one.

So which computerised monitors should I trust?

I hung around with other passengers whom I recognised from our flight until one Westerner finally got his luggage. "Amazing," he said to me, as I asked if he was on that THAI flight from Singapore, to make sure that this was where my suitcase would emerge.

Then there was a sign on a pillar next to the conveyor belt printed on A4 paper. "Temporary toilet". The lack of enough toilets appeared to be haunting the new airport on Day Two.

But there was more travail to go through. The arrival lobby is too small. People squeeze together forming a wall so you can't see if someone came to pick you up.

Then I couldn't figure out where to hail a metered taxi. There was no sign and I ended up having to ask for information at an AOT counter. The woman there was pushing a pricey limousine service, but eventually caved in and told me to head one level down.

"But the queue down there is very long," she warned me. The taxi queue was actually twice, if not thrice, longer than those at Don Muang.

Why? Partly bad coordination and partly because this is a single-terminal airport. The taxi pick-up points must actually be fewer than at Don Muang, which has one domestic and two international terminals. And there was no proper sign telling you this is where you should wait!

While in line, two THAI passengers complained to me. One, an elderly gentleman who flew in from Brisbane, said he waited an hour and a half for his luggage to arrive. When he inquired about it with THAI ground staff, they didn't have a clue as to how long he had to wait.

"It was a long walk," he said, referring to the mega-long terminal and hall.

Another THAI passenger said the exit gate at the arrival hall was simply "miniature", which didn't make any sense.

Nobody seems to want to explain why this new gateway is not laid out better and more conveniently than the 92-year-old complex at Don Muang. I couldn't help wonder why AOT has to force thousands of travellers to undergo such a trying experience.

In the first few days they may claim that many things are not functioning properly because it's still new. But the management's attitude was self-congratulatory even though they should be profusely apologetic and do their best to meet travellers' expectations.

I couldn't see or feel a sense of excellence and a service mindset from them. Suvarnabhumi may end up becoming just another expensive airport that's better to look at than to use.

Perhaps a new management team that is more concerned and attentive to travellers' needs and satisfaction, comforts and convenience might improve things. A few executives deserve - not only to be shifted or reassigned - but fired.

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Now, with an report such as this one, will those that slated posters as anti-thai and doom merchants please recant?

It seems that all is not well and moving was somewhat premature. Not passing judgement myself, as I have not used the new airport yet. That "delight" awaits me next weekend...

I find it UNBELIEVABLE that a very large Architect company like Murphy/Jahn from Chicago-USA who are responsible for the design of the airport make so many mistakes.

Moreover since they have a long reputation with, a.o., other airports such as in Munchen and Koln/Bonn Germany as well of the airport Chicago/O'hara itself.

They are also responsible for the huge Expo centre in Shanghai.

How on earth can they be responsible for so may mistakes in design.

I'm completely puzzled.

And: WHY ON EARTH don't we read something in the papers or on the net about them and their responsibilities?

The only thing we hear is (sometimes) some Thai airport-authority.....

WHERE IS MURHPY/JAHN ? :o

http://www.murphyjahn.com/english/frameset_intro.htm

LaoPo

I do not agree.

I came back to Thailand from Singapore last Friday evening and had no problems.

The only one was having to wait a bit in the plane after it landed because it took 15 minutes to reach the gate (was occupied by another plane).

Besides that, took me a few minutes to go through the customs and overall, I was out in about 1/2 h between the time we landed and being outside.

Maybe I was lucky... :o

I find it UNBELIEVABLE that a very large Architect company like Murphy/Jahn from Chicago-USA who are responsible for the design of the airport make so many mistakes.

Moreover since they have a long reputation with, a.o., other airports such as in Munchen and Koln/Bonn Germany as well of the airport Chicago/O'hara itself.

I'm completely puzzled.

And: WHY ON EARTH don't we read something in the papers or on the net about them and their responsibilities?

LaoPo

I amd not surprised. There is a history of foreign professional's advice being squanderd on the ground by the Thais. I recall the last big infrastructure project in Bangkok - the underground system. Yes, beautifully designed, works ostensibly well, but had a major train crash in the first year of operation that was put down to "failure to operate the equipment to the manufacture's specifications and instructions." So there we have it - world class design, aesthetically pleaseing at first sight, yet still capable of a monumental balls-up.

I only hope that these words do not come to haunt me in respect of the new airport... :D

I flew in to Suvarnabhumi the day after the opening, and while immigration and baggage claim went without any major problems, to actually get out of the airport and in to the city proved to be a nightmare. The arrivals area was far too small and jammed packed with people waving signs - no fences to keep the people waiting away from the arriving passengers just wanting to get out. It was use of elbows and knees to be able to get through the throng of people blocking the way out - but where? No signs or information on where to go to get transport, no taxi signs, a few expensive limousine services touting, ended up being directed to three different shuttle buses by three different people. The shuttle bus took us to the "Public Transportation Center" where we supposedly would be able to get a taxi or a bus in to Bangkok. Total chaos. No information, no signs, just a row of buses, lots of confused travellers and no taxis. After scouting around a bit we found the taxi parking lot - hundreds of them with equally confused taxi drivers driving around in circles, a few passengers trying to flag them down but to no avail. We finally managed to catch one by the drivers' eating place, the poor driver lamenting the lack of organisation (and coming from a Thai, you can imagine how bad it must be...). He told us it would take about one and a half hours to get in to Bangkok, about half an hour was spent waiting at the toll station from the airport, where the traffic jam was, well, a very thick jam indeed. After that it went fairly smoothly. So I would say, until they get the transportation issue sorted, the new airport will be a nightmare to get to and from... :o

I'm completely puzzled.

amazing at this monumental white elephant they have created!

maybe they were hamstrung by the design brief by the very large thai comittee ! The archis are responsible to the client so the client has the final say on what goes up!

i understand japanese contractors didnt get on with the thais and the farangs didnt get on with the japanese etc etc ......but even so there are so many glaring design blunders that you wonder what was going on behind the scenes .

LaoPo

I'm completely puzzled.

maybe they were hamstrung by the design brief by the very large thai comittee ! The archis are responsible to the client so the client has the final say on what goes up!

i understand japanese contractors didnt get on with the thais and the farangs didnt get on with the japanese etc etc ......but even so there are so many glaring design blunders that you wonder what was going on behind the scenes .

LaoPo

I flew in to Suvarnabhumi the day after the opening, and while immigration and baggage claim went without any major problems, to actually get out of the airport and in to the city proved to be a nightmare.

Not easy indeed.

I went back via Bang Na while I should have taken Rama 9, I think.

And there are at least 3 gates when you go out from the customs and well, people waiting me at the wrong one...

I'm completely puzzled.

LaoPo

Intersting that such a well-known design firm would make such a serious mistake about the arrival area. Huge design flaw IMHO. Also the number of restrooms seems like it could be a problem. But other than those two problems, I wonder what are the other "so many mistakes" referred to by LaoPo? Certainly the airport had many initial problems, with several of them being on-going. But a lot of these are operational problems, lack of training/knowledge. Plus problems with new equipment which are certainly to be expected. Certainly the airport architectural design is not to blame for those problems.

As to calling Suvarnabhumi a "monumental white elephant" I think that is a huge overstatement. The restroom problem, if it is a problem, can be fixed given some time. The arrival area problem I think will prove more difficult. But the remainder of the airport seems to me to be a nicely designed airport. The interior is very drab, with lots of bare concrete, but I already was expecting that given how rushed the opening of the airport was. I imagine this will change in time. I could understand if you called the arrival area a "monumental white elephant", but not the entire arirport.

Edited by Soju

What I understand, I have not been there yet, is that after you have passed ther arrival area you must jump on a shuttle bus to "Transport center" where you will find taxi and Airport buses. (yes, I know that they have changed so you can also get a taxi outside Arrival but that was not in the planning from the beginning and that is why the que there to get a taxi is so long).

So if you arrive with a couple of suitcases and some other stuff, you have to load that into the shuttlebus, go with that one for 10-15 minutes, and then get the stuff off the bus and then find the counter to buy a ticket for the Airportbus to get to Sukhumwit.... And that after 10-15 hours travelling from Europe.

Is that a well planned airport?

I think the Limoservice will make some good money out there!

well the roof is gonna be high maintenance for the life of the airport ,the aircon probably wont be able to cope in the hot season, the toilets are not enough and its hard to see how the taxi problem can be solved due to not enough space being available in the arrivals area . and the surface finishes are not welcoming but maybe that will change in the future. Considering this is the worlds latest most modern port it should be a world leader for facilities but its definately not ,more like cobbled together.

Its quirky and futuristic but disfunctional .