Phuket party town bouncer conduct to be reviewed after brutal beating

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Weerawit agreed with the decision for the staffers to continue working as security on Phuket’s busiest party street.

Again, this goes to the heart of the problem: the clubs aren't held financially accountable for employing bouncers with a propensity for violence. Where clubs are held accountable in court, they can't employ bouncers who have previously engaged in violence. It's a huge risk for liability, because it makes the clubs liable for the criminal conduct, and associated punitive damages, for their security staff. Basically, they are employing someone who they know is likely to bash someone's skull. You just can't do that if a court is going to hold you liable for the damages resulting from that recklessness. In Thailand, mai bpen rai, no criminal charges, no lawsuit, back to business as usual. All I can say, is that if these bouncers beat up another patron, I hope the patron brings a criminal complaint against the directors for the company that owns this club. I doubt it would happen, but it would scare them quite a bit knowing that they could go to prison for the actions of their employee.

Edited by zaphod reborn

One of the RTP volunteers is thought to have been assaulted by one of the same security people. Is this fellow included or excepted?

No allowance for the broader consensus being that despite the Australians having to go home, the film is just too damning to allow those security people back. ....

Thailand lives in a self repeating vortex.

And the five security guards still have their jobs at this point since no charges has been filed against them. The Aussie tourists have left the country without filing a complaint against the guards or the nightclub, he said.

Says it all - White Box declares security people sacked .... just all BS.

Off course the Aussie left very fast ... did not want to risk being jailed and missing their flight ... wise decison.

This is what kills tourism Thais need to understand social media , or forget the tourism industry but as time and time again they will continue down the wrong path.

Social media and TV is tackling things on the late side of the phenomena. But as you suggest there is a massive gap there.

Younger TV posters will keep joining and make the site a force down the track, causing instant impacts on these kinda 'bs' decisions, but at the moment TV's base is elderly and so too social networking skills. Can be agenda changing, though.

It is the future for the site and i am sure they know it. Can you imagine some solidarity/connectedness with the 3000 online TV members present atm on one issue? That'll change the capacity of those operators to be so wreckless with these decisions in the future, esp with govt authorities looking over their shoulders. .

Edit:

6020 users are online (in the past 60 minutes)

Edited by optad

I think anyone on the planet accept Thais would understand. Beating up your customers under any circumstance. Is very very bad business......

I wish that was the case but I saw one farang guy that owned several of the gogo's at Nana sucker punch many of his customers on multiple occasions.

I have also seen the bouncers at many bars and clubs in Bkk beat their customers senseless.

For some reasons none of these assaults in Bkk ever seem to make it to the news. Only the events in Pattaya and Phuket.

Anyone have an idea why that is? Sincere question, I am really curious about that.

“They have been warned about their behaviour, so there is no reason to take away their jobs,” he said.

I wonder if they would care to use that same absurd rationale with Koh Tao case, Thaksin, Ying Luck, Suthep et al.

No one in police/power structure seems to have the courage to point out that violent criminal assault took place? Dear PM, this stinks to high nirvana of corruption. Care to step in it?

The White Room nightclub on Bangla Rd, Patong, will reopen on Saturday (Oct 17) after serving a seven-day closure for its security staff being caught on video viciously beating Australian tourists

...because they were caught on Video...

says it all

When people refuse to pay a bar bill it is usually because the bill is loaded. If the bar does not put a ticket in the pot on each order then that is the time to ask questions.

AND I check the tickets myself as some bars cannot add up.

Of course if you are pi**ed and not in control then !!!!!!!!!!!

Two days, huh ?

If the bouncers actually manage to kill a tourist, will that frightful punishment be extended to 3 days ? And will they be ... what's that term they use in the Army and the Police ... relocated ?

“They have been warned about their behaviour, so there is no reason to take away their jobs,” he said.

Hang on I thought they were immediately sacked as they were on video carrying out the attacks. Sorry a warning won't cut it. It's obvious they will do the same again, probably just taking care not to be on camera. The club should be on a foreigners black list. Don't give places your money that hold these standards.

Maybe thats exactly what needs to be done a website naming and shaming overcharging, bad service, violent behaviour etc. Money talks and they will be out of business if people don't give it to them.

This is what kills tourism Thais need to understand social media , or forget the tourism industry but as time and time again they will continue down the wrong path.

Social media and TV is tackling things on the late side of the phenomena. But as you suggest there is a massive gap there.

Younger TV posters will keep joining and make the site a force down the track, causing instant impacts on these kinda 'bs' decisions, but at the moment TV's base is elderly and so too social networking skills. Can be agenda changing, though.

It is the future for the site and i am sure they know it. Can you imagine some solidarity/connectedness with the 3000 online TV members present atm on one issue? That'll change the capacity of those operators to be so wreckless with these decisions in the future, esp with govt authorities looking over their shoulders. .

Edit:

Hear ! hear !

3000 online TV members would indeed be a force, if only 2800 of them weren't busy wasting that energy bickering with one another, calling eachother names, lecturing and antagonizing other posters after reading only their first 2 lines, bashing Thailand and the Thais under every possible pretext, looking down on every nationality which is not their own, and making definitive statements about politics, science, or whatever subject they don't know much about.

Why do I stay on this Forum ? Because I enjoy what the other 200 are writing, and I've found some real pearls. Thank you guys !

“They have been warned about their behaviour, so there is no reason to take away their jobs,” he said .[Entertainment Business Association President Weerawit Kurasombat].

Weerrawit is presenting the certificate on the left of the recipient, pledging to support the installation of CCTv's in 2012. I hope everyone is reassured.

28875.jpg

In England we vote with our feet smile.png If I was ever in the vicinity of The White Room I would keep walking, and I would advise everyone else to do the same smile.png

absolutely…one day someone who's been bashed is going to set up a Facebook page with all the clubs that mistreat customers (with the videos hopefully)….boycotting this place is the only way to go.

After Lucifers closing in pattaya, you should see it now….i walked in there a few weeks back and there was not one person inside at 1am. Just a ghost town.

SErves the feckers right. Aussie media needs to keep this up and demand people stop going there as retribution till a pubic apology is made by the owners and the bouncers…..Japanese style.

Edit:

Hear ! hear !

3000 online TV members would indeed be a force, if only 2800 of them weren't busy wasting that energy bickering with one another, calling eachother names, lecturing and antagonizing other posters after reading only their first 2 lines, bashing Thailand and the Thais under every possible pretext, looking down on every nationality which is not their own, and making definitive statements about politics, science, or whatever subject they don't know much about.

Why do I stay on this Forum ? Because I enjoy what the other 200 are writing, and I've found some real pearls. Thank you guys !

Sixty plus yann?

Hey, I am getting there myself but you proved a point i made earlier. Your and my generation is just not able to use the media as i suggested. TV will explore its base potentate and it will be about hits and yesterdays numbers to make the future Yann [read paterns], not the most recent argument about the best height of the bar stools in Soi cowboy.

They like to fight when its 5 to 1. There cowards otherwise. No wonder their woman run from them to foreigners. Their times up tho. Not any westerners going to clubs much anymore. Accept during the three months of high season....?....

DO NOT VISIT THE WHITE ROOM is the only answer to this, and the bigmouth President of the Entertainment Association should be ashamed of himself.

This is a typical THAI solution -again!!!

Stay away from Phuket is even better.

Edit:

Hear ! hear !

Sixty plus yann?

Hey, I am getting there myself but you proved a point i made earlier. Your and my generation is just not able to use the media as i suggested. TV will explore its base potentate and it will be about hits and yesterdays numbers to make the future Yann [read paterns], not the most recent argument about the best height of the bar stools in Soi cowboy.

Well, Sir, I'm glad if i could help you prove your point.

The somewhat cryptic and aggressive tone of your reply somewhat proves mine ...

Have a lovely evening.

You can bet I will not go to that establishment for any reason. The bouncers are not the type of people I would want to be around And on top of that anyone that visits me from the West I will be sure to tell them about the incident and that fact that that establishment did not fire them.

I am certain more will do the same . Is the owner playing with a full deck. Just because the victims did not file charges does not mean its OK,

If someone from my staff did something that forced me to close my business for a week I would have given them the the door. For those of you that do not understand It means

FIRED

'Mr Weerawit agreed with the decision for the staffers to continue working ... “They have been warned about their behaviour, so there is no reason to take away their jobs ...' What complete bull c . . p! I doubt too many Thais will accept that, and it's a certainty potential foreign customers won't.

Ensure these clubs put up a "bond" of 500K baht. If they violate it, then you have the money in hand and close their doors. They want to open again, the bond doubles. The bond fund could be used to pay for the cost of emergency services responding, enforcement, compliance, medical bills, etc.

I have been in Thailand for 15 years plus, owned clubs etc. Will tell anyone, the Thai guys in general hate us. I have saved a few falungs on the ground getting kicked. Once you are on the ground any Thai nearby ( 50 yds ) will try and kick you in the head for all the times a falung has taken his girl for a good time simply because she needs the money.

THIS IDEA HERE LOOKS VERY WORKABLE. STILL HARD FOR THE BAR OWNER TO ENFORCE ONCE THE DOORMAN ARE HIGH/DRUNK.

Thai security guys will take zero lip from falungs, and no matter how small they are will have a go because they know they will have plenty of helpers.

This only seems to happen in the farang ghettos of Pattaya and Phuket.The rest of Thailand is generally free of this,including Bangkok.

'Security guards told officials that the fight started when the men refused to pay their bill and one of the tourists started fighting with a guard.' Well, they would, wouldn't they? But I have indirect personal experience of certain clubs and their billing policies, which have included inflating the bill by the addition of items never ordered.

When will people ever learn,pay as you go,no probs then.I hear mai pen rai many times but i still pay as i go.