Japanese tug-of-war over the fate of Okinawa US air base

webfact

Japanese tug-of-war over the fate of Okinawa US air base

606x341_315123.jpg

OKINAWA: -- The governor of Japan’s southern Okinawa prefecture has revoked a permit allowing the move of a US military base farther away from residents upset about its presence.

The permit, granted by his predecessor in 2013, allowed a more remote coastal area to be reclaimed for the Futenma air base relocation.

Governor Takeshi Onaga revoked it on Tuesday (October 13) on the grounds of “legal defects.” Elected last year on a pledge to fight the move, Onaga would like to see the air base and the U.S. troops leave the island altogether.

But Tokyo was not pleased with the U-turn and said it planned to proceed with the relocation anyway. “We were already given a favourable decision from the former governor on this issue and I don’t see any legal defect in the approval,” said Japanese Chief Cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga.

It’s the latest episode in a tug-of-war opposing the central government and local authorities, and the stalemate is now likely to end up in court.

Local residents have long complained about the US military presence, which dates back to World War II.

Okinawa today houses more than half of the 50,000 U.S. troops stationed in Japan.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-14

The PI went thru a phase where they could not wait to get rid of the US Military...now they are begging for a US military presence to back up their claim for waters that China is annexing in the South China Sea...

The Japanese are not stupid...they recognize the need for a US presence in their theatre of influence...to keep China in check...

Truly doubt that their economy will crumble, they are Japanese they will make out just fine. I always wondered why the Japanese put up with this base for so long. They don't need it and don't want and it is their country. They can get along without the US nonsense there just fine. I wish them God speed on moving the base out. Now if we can just work on removing the other 999 US bases worldwide that would be great. The poor US taxpayer needs a break and could use the money on a lot more really useful stuff.

Few realize this backlash is from a small group of US servicemen who raped Japanese girls in Okinawa awhile back.

Unlike Americans, whose news memories seem almost to be a case of two weeks and then amnesia, most cultures do not forget such things. Do Americans really think that just because the US media stopped talking about it, that the Iraq slaughter is forgotten? Or the Shah of Iran? Or the 1969 bombing of the Plain of Jars in Laos and Cambodia? Or.... The list would take up more pages than a Steven King novel.

Foreign policy has been a dismal failure altogether, even with our allies. Japan is just one case in point. Dragging Britain into Iraq is another. There are dozens more of these failures on record.

How is anyone supposed to feel about their government when their government does such things? Most people in America are nice, decent people, but none of them ever get elected.

Patriotism is good. Nationalism is mindless mobs following leaders who let them down on a daily basis. The first is healthy. The second is brain death.

bah.gif

Few realize this backlash is from a small group of US servicemen who raped Japanese girls in Okinawa awhile back.

Unlike Americans, whose news memories seem almost to be a case of two weeks and then amnesia, most cultures do not forget such things. Do Americans really think that just because the US media stopped talking about it, that the Iraq slaughter is forgotten? Or the Shah of Iran? Or the 1969 bombing of the Plain of Jars in Laos and Cambodia? Or.... The list would take up more pages than a Steven King novel.

Foreign policy has been a dismal failure altogether, even with our allies. Japan is just one case in point. Dragging Britain into Iraq is another. There are dozens more of these failures on record.

How is anyone supposed to feel about their government when their government does such things? Most people in America are nice, decent people, but none of them ever get elected.

Patriotism is good. Nationalism is mindless mobs following leaders who let them down on a daily basis. The first is healthy. The second is brain death.

bah.gif

Yes, well, the Japanese people (who are some of the most racist people in the world even today) kind of got what they deserved after the war. need I remind YOU, with your own short memory, of the Bataan Death March, the genocide/rape of Nanjing, Nazi-style medical experiments, and much more? Now they get to relax under the umbrella of US security.

I day move them all out immediately and watch their economy crumble. Even worse than it already has. Then China can clean up the pieces. ?

Yes American bases is what makes Japanese economy , haha.

Priceless

At least the Americans leave when they are asked to. Unlike the Russians, who still occupy some Japanese islands that they invaded in the last month of World War II, when the Soviets unilaterally broke the peace treaty they had with Japan.

The Americans always poison everything they touch ... no news there. What has that got to do with a base in Japan? All of Asia is either on its knees welcoming the Chinese (well their money at least) or see the inevitability of military conflict. The Japanese government knows that they stand alone without the Americans. Can't blame them for wanting to keep some US skin in the game.

Truly doubt that their economy will crumble, they are Japanese they will make out just fine. I always wondered why the Japanese put up with this base for so long. They don't need it and don't want and it is their country. They can get along without the US nonsense there just fine. I wish them God speed on moving the base out. Now if we can just work on removing the other 999 US bases worldwide that would be great. The poor US taxpayer needs a break and could use the money on a lot more really useful stuff.

The bases in Japan(like the numerous bases the US and other NATO countries once had in Germany) was also an deterrent to those two countries.They wasn`t asked,righfully enough they had to accept it.

The bases in Japan(like the numerous bases the US and other NATO countries once had in Germany) was also an deterrent to those two countries.They wasn`t asked,righfully enough they had to accept it.

The existence of the bases on foreign territory is by mutual agreements. If one side wishes to change that agreement, the bases will be removed. They do not fall under the same regulations as an embassy. The land belongs to Japan and they can ask that they be removed, moved, reduced etc..

With those changes will go changes to the agreement for protection. In the case of Japan it is the locals who are a dominant force in not wanting the bases. The Japanese gov't seems a lot less likely to want them removed.

Japan has some unfriendly neighbors, including Japan and Russia, but hey, if they don't mind being under the control of either or both, it will have only a minor affect on the US.

you need to look at what happened when the philipines kicked the yanks out of clarke airbase. was not long before they begged them to come back in. bases in japan will be no different.

bah.gif

Yes, well, the Japanese people (who are some of the most racist people in the world even today) kind of got what they deserved after the war. need I remind YOU, with your own short memory, of the Bataan Death March, the genocide/rape of Nanjing, Nazi-style medical experiments, and much more? Now they get to relax under the umbrella of US security.

Oh, OK so because of the crimes of their forefathers it's ok then is it to go and rape Japanese school girls? They have got what they deserve have they? How long must we persecute grand children and great grand children who were never even there because of war crimes committed 75 years ago. Perhaps the USA's and UK citizens should all be persecuted and raped because of the crimes of their forefathers with Indigenous populations in North America, Australia and Canada etc etc, just how far back qualifies to be fair game for retribution for you?

May I also remind you that the Nazi and Japanese 'Doctors' who tortured , maimed and experimented on thousands of wretched souls were all given amnesty by the US in return for all their research. Many went on to be 'employed' in the US and given new identities as a reward for their collaboration.

On a more practical note can you actually imagine how many dollars go into the local economy from 25 000 servicemen each month. If the USA pulled out of the Island the local economy would plummet along with all associated Jobs and businesses.

Just a few nights ago I saw a sort-of documentary on Okinawa (Anthony Bourdain's show). There seems to be a plan ready to be put in place that if the US military packs up and leaves then they will begin developing as a vacation spot for Chinese tourists. They didn't mention how this would work in light of the testy relationship between China and Japan.

Spoken like a true visionary....................almost.coffee1.gif

The Japs LOST the war and surrendered UNCONDITIONALLY to the allies. They had no right to anything the Americans didn't want to give them. If the Americans wanted the whole of Okinawa, they could have had it.

Having said that, it is probably time the US stopped being the world's policeman and went home, leaving sovereign countries to do their own military protection. Too many countries rely on the American taxpayer to protect them. That many would be soon conquered by a certain country is no reason to force the American citizen to pay taxes to protect them.

bah.gif

Oh, OK so because of the crimes of their forefathers it's ok then is it to go and rape Japanese school girls? They have got what they deserve have they? How long must we persecute grand children and great grand children who were never even there because of war crimes committed 75 years ago. Perhaps the USA's and UK citizens should all be persecuted and raped because of the crimes of their forefathers with Indigenous populations in North America, Australia and Canada etc etc, just how far back qualifies to be fair game for retribution for you?

May I also remind you that the Nazi and Japanese 'Doctors' who tortured , maimed and experimented on thousands of wretched souls were all given amnesty by the US in return for all their research. Many went on to be 'employed' in the US and given new identities as a reward for their collaboration.

On a more practical note can you actually imagine how many dollars go into the local economy from 25 000 servicemen each month. If the USA pulled out of the Island the local economy would plummet along with all associated Jobs and businesses.

Rape wasn't legal in the US military during the war, and it still isn't. Ergo, it's NOT OK.

you need to look at what happened when the philipines kicked the yanks out of clarke airbase. was not long before they begged them to come back in. bases in japan will be no different.

I think there was a volcano involved in leaving Clark AB. But after the Vietnam War we left the bases and airfields in Thailand when they asked us to leave.

I was in Okinawa in 1966 and returned again for a few weeks in '67 after an expense paid vacation in sunny SE Asia courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. We were told then there were specific areas we could not go, and especially if you were black. How soon the Okinawan people forgot, it was the US that liberated them from Japanese oppression. Well, on the other hand, many died during our "liberation". It was then mostly a warm and welcoming place and people. The bar my platoon hung out in in Kim Village outside Camp Hansen kept a kimono and pallet, forgive the loss of memory as to what they are called, in the back room specifically for me. They fed me, took care of me. I liked Okinawa, the best duty I had. Politically incorrect these days, but "land of sliding doors and two dollar whores". If I'm not mistaken rapes had already occurred in those areas we were told were off limits. I stopped a rape one night in Kim Village, with the help of Okinawa men-I was losing to nun chucks. Hey, busted lip but the lady took me home. I've never understood why with so many women available did troops want to rape? Power? I'm sorry the relationship has gotten so bad. Of course the years of denial about poisoning much of the land with Agent Orange etc. really hasn't helped much. Mainland Japan needs the US base in Okinawa to thwart the threat from China, they will probably overrule the Okinawan governor.

I think there was a volcano involved in leaving Clark AB. But after the Vietnam War we left the bases and airfields in Thailand when they asked us to leave.

No, the decision to leave the base was made before the volcanic eruption. It was unfortunate for the Filipinos because they got left with a big mess, but the volcanic eruption affected much more than just the base.

The existence of the bases on foreign territory is by mutual agreements. If one side wishes to change that agreement, the bases will be removed. They do not fall under the same regulations as an embassy. The land belongs to Japan and they can ask that they be removed, moved, reduced etc..

With those changes will go changes to the agreement for protection. In the case of Japan it is the locals who are a dominant force in not wanting the bases. The Japanese gov't seems a lot less likely to want them removed.

Japan has some unfriendly neighbors, including Japan and Russia, but hey, if they don't mind being under the control of either or both, it will have only a minor affect on the US.

That "agreement" didn`t have any possibility for the host land to terminate the contract until after the Cold War ended and the US and NATO didn`t have that much need for them.