Great beef steak restaurant at Central Shopping Center

toenail

Because of the name, Hippopotamus Restaurant, I have avoided this place at Central Shopping Center (6th floor with a sea view) thinking it was some kid- place. WRONG. It is a French chain franchise that specializes is grilled streaks (from Australia, USA, France-grain or grass fed), along with a choice of two side dishes. Burgers are also above the norm. The waiters were well trained and professional. This place is NOT a Sizzlers (with people grazing around a salad bar) and it is not a Santa Fe (with crunch meat). It is not a budget place for beef but when you need a beef-fix and want a good selection of grilled steak and a professional staff to take care of you (no frustrations) this is a place to go.

Prices please

The prices varied according to how many grams the steak was; the type of cuts (sirloin, rib eye, tenderloin, porter house, ribs) the country it was imported from (France, Europe, USA) and if it was grain or grass fed. The prices varied from 450 baht to 700 baht to ? for a larger cut. It includes two side dishes (such as au gratin potatoes, baked potato,steam vegetable, fries...) and two sauces. Salad is not included.

Because of the name, Hippopotamus Restaurant, I have avoided this place ....

It's true that the name is hugely off-putting in many ways. Do they serve hippo meat? Are all the clients large and waddling?

I wonder if the owners of this French chain have reflected on this?

In France it does have a reputation as being a quality fast-food/grill outlet, and that is in a country where food is generally good quality everywhere. I tried it there a few times and it was good. Never tried it here.

Edited by KittenKong

Prices please

The prices varied according to how many grams the steak was; the type of cuts (sirloin, rib eye, tenderloin, porter house, ribs) the country it was imported from (France, Europe, USA) and if it was grain or grass fed. The prices varied from 450 baht to 700 baht to ? for a larger cut. It includes two side dishes (such as au gratin potatoes, baked potato,steam vegetable, fries...) and two sauces. Salad is not included.

Just a quick note Europe is not a country.

Prices please

They don't have NZ, Australian or Japanese beef?

t to 700 baht to ? for a larger cut. It includes two side dishes (such as au gratin potatoes, baked potato,steam vegetable, fries...) and two sauces. Salad is not included.

700 baht for a decent steak? Man that is close to $30 AUD, I buy steak far cheaper in Australia where I am from and pay less than that in a restaurant in OZ. Personally, I think that for Thailand that is expensive. And no salad either? Way over the top.

700 baht for a decent steak? Man that is close to $30 AUD, I buy steak far cheaper in Australia where I am from and pay less than that in a restaurant in OZ. Personally, I think that for Thailand that is expensive. And no salad either? Way over the top.

It is expensive and I would not pay that here. If I wanted to pay that sort of money I would just go and eat at the Hilton. But it isnt the only place that charges such prices. Even Sizzler gets up around that level for some dishes.

Occasionally they have promos that bring the price down to something more reasonable.

Prices please

They don't have NZ, Australian or Japanese beef?

They have Aussie beef. That is what I had when I went there. I paid 350 baht. It was one of their specials at the time and it was great value.

Good imported steak is expensive in Thailand even if you buy from the supermarkets and cook at home which I usually do. It probably costs at least 200-300baht.

t to 700 baht to ? for a larger cut. It includes two side dishes (such as au gratin potatoes, baked potato,steam vegetable, fries...) and two sauces. Salad is not included.

LOL. Hello! The steak is imported. Of course you're going to pay (a lot) more for it here... then they have to cook it for you, pay the bills and if they're lucky, make some profit.

You should be happy that there are nice restaurants that provide decent steak from far off countries, rather than whinging about the prices.

(btw, 700 baht is only USD 20. Too bad the value of the AUD has fallen away so badly. It's not good for price comparisons at it's current low value)

Edited by tropo

This restaurant features beef from France but as mentioned has beef from Australia, USA, etc. I had a ribeye from USA and it was quite tasty. The price was around 700 baht with my Pattaya City Expat Club card discount (20%). I paid 1500 baht for a tenderloin at the Outback (Aussie steak chain) in Bangkok not long ago and the Hippopotamus was much better.

Goes exactly with what I have said in another thread, if you want Quality then you need to pay for it.

And I reckon that goes double for steak.

The highest quality Thai steak available at local shops is getting up in price these days. Certainly 600 - 700 baht is quite typical. I just paid 695/kg for AAA tenderloin this week.

Warning: If you like to eat rare steak which is "made in Thailand", make sure it has been frozen for a day before you cook it as you will likely end up with tapeworms if you don't. I learned this the hard way. If I'm eating out, I'll only eat imported steak rare/medium. When I buy Thai steak, it's goes straight to the freezer. It is important to know where the streak is produced when you eat rare steak at restaurants.

Goes exactly with what I have said in another thread, if you want Quality then you need to pay for it.

The highest quality Thai steak available at local shops is getting up in price these days. Certainly 600 - 700 baht is quite typical. I just paid 695/kg for AAA tenderloin this week.

Warning: If you like to eat rare steak which is "made in Thailand", make sure it has been frozen for a day before you cook it as you will likely end up with tapeworms if you don't. I learned this the hard way. If I'm eating out, I'll only eat imported steak rare/medium. When I buy Thai steak, it's goes straight to the freezer. It is important to know where the streak is produced when you eat rare steak at restaurants.

Tapeworms, bloody hell?................. I,ll stick to noodle soup then facepalm.gif

Tapeworms, bloody hell?................. I,ll stick to noodle soup then facepalm.gif

There's no need to panic - you could just follow my suggestions and freeze the meat, or cook it well.

There's no need to panic - you could just follow my suggestions and freeze the meat, or cook it well.

Panic no................I,m freeking out...............tapeworms sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Panic no................I,m freeking out...............tapeworms sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

It's an important consideration because foreigners often like to eat meat near-raw or rare.

The only problem with tapeworms is that it can take 3 - 4 months before you discover you have them. Once you know it only takes a couple of days to eliminate them.

My guess is that rare roast beef from Carrefour was the culprit but it's impossible to know for sure. Thais use de-worming drugs prophylactically, so they would never be aware if they had tapeworms or not.