TRUE just cancelled my Son's sim card (because he didnt register)

easybullet3

my son said he took his passport to TRUE about 1 and a half years ago and they took his details, (which he assumed was the register process).

but, as it turns out, it was NOT. (it was just to get his name and details).

so he didnt think he needed to register his phone this year.

he lost his sim card last week and went to get a new one, but they are refusing to issue one, because he didnt register.

has anyone else had this? or know of a way around this?

it seems horribly unfair.

he has never recieved any SMS asking him to register from True!

I have just spend the last 20 minutes going through EVERY sms on his phone. there is NOTHING asking for registration from TRUE.

can I do anything about this ?

Edited by easybullet3

Buy a new SIM sad.png

Enough information on how to verify that your SIM is registered has been published plus an extension to the registration time.

He may still be able to transfer his existing number to the new SIM.

Assume - makes an Ass out of U and Me.

It was extensively advertised months in advance that the NBTC required sims to be registered.

However, seems that didn't happen in your son's case.

7-11 have sim cards for purchase.

The mandatory registration started on February 1, 2015, as required by the Thai government's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). At the time, there were approximately 90 million prepaid SIM cards, of which only about 6 million had been registered. One may assume that all postpaid / billed SIM cards would not require registration, but I still recommend you check by the *151# code.

After July 31, 2015, phones which are not registered will still be able to receive incoming calls but will not be able to make outgoing calls, nor use data connections, not send SMS messages to other users.

Every 7-11 in the country carries SIM cards and Top Up Credit. There are over 7,000 7-11 stores in Thailand. (That’s one store for every 9,428 people in the country.) Also any big mall is going to have phones for sale as wall as official DTAC, AIS and True Move retailers.

Buy a new SIM sad.png

Enough information on how to verify that your SIM is registered has been published plus an extension to the registration time.

It was extensively advertised months in advance that the NBTC required sims to be registered.

The mandatory registration started on February 1, 2015, as required by the Thai government's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). At the time, there were approximately 90 million prepaid SIM cards, of which only about 6 million had been registered. One may assume that all postpaid / billed SIM cards would not require registration, but I still recommend you check by the *151# code.

After July 31, 2015, phones which are not registered will still be able to receive incoming calls but will not be able to make outgoing calls, nor use data connections, not send SMS messages to other users.

Every 7-11 in the country carries SIM cards and Top Up Credit. There are over 7,000 7-11 stores in Thailand. (That’s one store for every 9,428 people in the country.) Also any big mall is going to have phones for sale as wall as official DTAC, AIS and True Move retailers.

thanks for the replies.

My son lives between me and his mum; (separated parents). He is 13 years old. (not really the age to be up-to-date with current affairs & news).

He said that when he was in the TRUE shop with his mum (about a year and a half ago) they said that he needed to register his passport with them. which he did.

he said that when he heard about everyone in thailand needing to register their phones (this year), he assumed that he had already done this... (as the woman in the shop was talking about registering his passport).

even I would have made that mistake... (as the misleading usage of the word REGISTER, the first time around).

Anyway.. thank you ('steven100') for the lovely information about 7-11 :)

he said he has about 200 contacts in his phone book. (and his phone number was an expensive Purchased one).

if he gets a new number, he has to find a way to let 200 people know his new number.

which again, seems a huge task.

his mum just told me that she has NOT registered anythig, EVER (with DTAC) and he phone is still working fine without any issues.

i might try the idea of TRANSFERING his number to another operator (if they allow me).

otherwise I can try complaining and complaining to TRUE and see how far I can go with this.

again, if any other ideas come to your mind, please let me know ;)

Thanks again ;)

if he gets a new number, he has to find a way to let 200 people know his new number.

They will transfer his number if you go in the true shop, plus dont bother registering in 7-11 I have done it twice and both times it took ages and got home to find it wasnt properly registered so had to go into the true shop anyway, save yourself the hassle,

Cheers

It's very odd that two people in the same family have, allegedly, never registered their numbers with both True and Dtac and yet have managed to keep the numbers in service after the cut off date that everyone else had to adhere to or lose the service.

dont bother registering in 7-11 I have done it twice and both times it took ages and got home to find it wasnt properly registered so had to go into the true shop anyway, save yourself the hassle,

Cheers

Considering that the registration process in a 7-11 involves nothing more than having a photo taken of your passport how come both times you tried it took ages?

Its Simple, get a new Sim as have been suggested above, from 7/11 or any IT mall.

Just avoid True, their customer service worse than suks. You will never get anywhere with they they just dont care. I have found AIS good, I have a post paid account but originally in my ex wife's name, but I have always paid the bill. I talked to AIS last year about changing the name to my name, said I need something from her. I told them she left the country (true). I pointed out that I have always paid the bill since I had the number, 14 years. So they said take along to their shop at least 6 continuous AIS receipts and a few older ones. Job done.

Ditch True.

Buy a new SIM sad.png

thanks for the replies.

My son lives between me and his mum; (separated parents). He is 13 years old. (not really the age to be up-to-date with current affairs & news).

He said that when he was in the TRUE shop with his mum (about a year and a half ago) they said that he needed to register his passport with them. which he did.

he said that when he heard about everyone in thailand needing to register their phones (this year), he assumed that he had already done this... (as the woman in the shop was talking about registering his passport).

even I would have made that mistake... (as the misleading usage of the word REGISTER, the first time around).

Anyway.. thank you ('steven100') for the lovely information about 7-11 smile.png

he said he has about 200 contacts in his phone book. (and his phone number was an expensive Purchased one).

his mum just told me that she has NOT registered anythig, EVER (with DTAC) and he phone is still working fine without any issues.

i might try the idea of TRANSFERING his number to another operator (if they allow me).

otherwise I can try complaining and complaining to TRUE and see how far I can go with this.

again, if any other ideas come to your mind, please let me know wink.png

Thanks again wink.png

Instead of sending your (then) 11 year old to register his sim card, go with him. Explain to them the situation, ask for his old number back with a smile.

Buy a new SIM sad.png

thanks for the replies.

Anyway.. thank you ('steven100') for the lovely information about 7-11 :)

again, if any other ideas come to your mind, please let me know ;)

Thanks again ;)

Not much point in complaining. Whilst I understand your frustration you seem to have missed (or are choosing to ignore) steven and crossy's points. Not only was this widely advertised but simple instructions were provided on how to check if your sim had been registered. You chose to ignore the guidance and now want to complain that the inevitable has happened.

Buy a new sim and learn from the experience.

All a bit negative but I hope you are successful in getting them to let him keep his old number. I just don't think you have a valid complaint.

Edited by MW72

Did the earlier posters not read the OP?

He said that the boy believed that he had registered it earlier.

I had a friend arrive recently from Europe with his unregistered SIM (after the deadline) and AIS or Telewiz transferred his old number to a new SIM card.

A pity if he had his contacts only stored on the old card.

Most kids' contacts are also their FB/Line contacts.

What would he have done if he lost his phone?

It's not a big issue to a teenager.

But go to the True shop ASAP, there is a chance they have not yet released the number if they use the oldest unused first.

Edited by Chicog

What your son said was correct. The Government first announced that all SIM cards must be registered about 1 1/2 years ago, and there was a 6 month deadline. I went to True with my passport and told them I had come to register and they did not know what to do so they rang their head office and then took copies of my passport and name and address. However the deadline was extended and again they urged people to register by February this year. Not wanting to get cut off and having had poor experiences of Thai staff doing their jobs properly, I went to True again and when the manager checked she said that the SIM card had not been registered at the time I had taken the SIM to be registered They had only taken my passport details and address. Once again I went through the registration process and she showed me how to check that the SIM is registered by entering a code on the phone. Had I trusted True to have actually registered my phone on the original date then I too would have been cut off.

If you complain to True you should get a new SIM with the original number (if still available) and the monetary balance on the phone plus compensation. I got my B500+ and B500 free calls as compensation. Thai phone companies are no longer able to keep your unused balances.

Edited by Estrada

Well now,, If he did not register his sim in person before the due date that has been advertised since last year than it is his own fault by not just go and ask True,, you just can't assume,you can't be lazy,you can't forget, his own bloody fault.

Well now,, If he did not register his sim in person before the due date that has been advertised since last year than it is his own fault by not just go and ask True,, you just can't assume,you can't be lazy,you can't forget, his own bloody fault.

Stupid comment.

Waste of bandwidth.

Nothing better to do with your time?

I vouch for those who said all you have to do is go to a bigger branch of True and request the old number and register properly.

If he is lucky, they still have not disposed of the phone numbers saved on the SIM card.

At most it will cost between 100 to 200 baht. Best not to complain, but request.

I vouch for those who said all you have to do is go to a bigger branch of True and request the old number and register properly.

If he is lucky, they still have not disposed of the phone numbers saved on the SIM card.

At most it will cost between 100 to 200 baht. Best not to complain, but request.

The numbers (and SMS's) will be on the SIM card even if the number has been disabled.

You can always buy a little box to read them.

I'm sure you can buy them in Thailand.

http://www.amazon.com/Insten%C2%AE-Cell-Phone-Reader-Backup/dp/B004I1IET6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444995322&sr=1-2&keywords=sim+card+reader

Its the law, and the govt are enforcing it. If you have not been shut down, i guess its just a matter of time until they purge all non attached sims

If your lucky, might be able to re animate your sim, but the number might have returned to the recycle pool. Ask them if cane recover

Contacts on SIM can be copied at many little phone shops.

The original reason I had to register my PAYG (PrePay) SIM in 2011 was to prove ownership before I could later look at any account details (including usage), or swap to a new SIM card.

Later it was a government requirement (that wasn't followed up), then yet another government requirement. My number showed as 'registered' on the providers displays, but not per the last government requirement. My guess is that AIS reused the previously registration field on their 'system' to hold the new data, creating massive confusion when there was pre-existing data there already.

Oh well. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) fixed that when they sent back lists of what numbers were actually registered, and the mobile carriers sent out SMS warning messages to those how were late registering.

So if you ignored this warning...

Luckily holdouts aren't being rounded up and jailed ... at least not this time.

He has lost his sim card....he has lost the contacts stored within it. Even a new sim card with his old number will not restore contacts from the lost card. He can easily if he has to buy a new number send a message to all contacts from his phone informing them. The lost contacts will need to be found and reinstalled....back up your sim!

Stupid comment.

Waste of bandwidth.

Nothing better to do with your time?

No such thing as waste of bandwidth....waste of data sure...not bandwidth.

What Doc said was true......too lazy or stupid....bad luck.

Amazing how young kids can spend hours texting and other things but didn't know they had to register their SIM. Been extended for those who didn't meet the first deadline. Clearly stated in both languages. Good lesson when "Mai pen lai" is invoked.

dont bother registering in 7-11 I have done it twice and both times it took ages and got home to find it wasnt properly registered so had to go into the true shop anyway, save yourself the hassle,

Cheers

Considering that the registration process in a 7-11 involves nothing more than having a photo taken of your passport how come both times you tried it took ages?

Altration is right. I have registered six sims this month. Some 7-11's are totally baffled by the procedure. Even with my Thai ID they have trouble.