Why stay in Thailand if everything is bad (according to some)

robblok

I don't get it why people stay in Thailand if its so bad. You hear people moan about almost everything but at the same time the Visa advice part of this forum is full of people desperately finding ways to stay in Thailand.

So obviously its better as back home otherwise people would all leave.

I moan about the country at times too but I do know this I would rather live here as back in The Netherlands.

So that means its better here as back home.

But some people are super negative.. what keeps them here ?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful temples, commercial sex, nice climate, commercial sex,low cost of living, commercial sex,... I could continue, but probably you get the idea. Just a little more seriously, I have often asked myself the same question, and can't come up with a better answer.

I think those people just forgot to remember why they moved and be honest with themselves that they love it here more as back home. Or they are just not logical because if its not better here as where you came from going back is easy.

Maybe some are the kind that need to put people down to feel better. I have known people like that back in the Netherlands They loved putting people down to feel better about not having done much in life themselves.

Edited by robblok

As you get older it becomes harder to relocate somewhere new. guys come here in there 50's or 60's have a great time for 10 or more years then find, life has changed they can no longer just up and go and start over They are in a rut.. Some may have thought Thailand was cheap to buy things like houses. Bought invested and now find if they want to leave the equity in the house stays here,maybe they cannot afford to loss that. But I feel most of the unhappy ones may have had little experience outside of their home country or even city. They show up here expecting everything is the same except beer and women are cheaper, when the reality that it is way different registers then they whine because they made a stupid uninformed life choice..

I think that some get trapped financially. For example, if you don't have a pretty decent nest egg, it would be challenging to start over again in the US, if all you had was monthly income and needed to secure a car, a home, stuff to fill the home etc.

I think those people just forgot to remember why they moved and be honest with themselves that they love it here more as back home. Or they are just not logical because if its not better here as where you came from going back is easy.

Maybe some are the kind that need to put people down to feel better. I have known people like that back in the Netherlands They loved putting people down to feel better about not having done much in life themselves.

It's not as if you've made a success of it!

Who knows, but at least I don't have to put people down to feel better. I am happy with what I have.

I do know that I prefer to be here in the sun then in the dark and cold back in the Netherlands.

Beautiful temples, commercial sex, nice climate, commercial sex,low cost of living, commercial sex,... I could continue, but probably you get the idea. Just a little more seriously, I have often asked myself the same question, and can't come up with a better answer.

What he says, we're here for the cheap girls and warm climate. (you can keep the temples)

If there were no cheap girls, I would be living in France or Spain .....

Maybe some are the kind that need to put people down to feel better.

Looked to me like your whole topic was an excuse for putting the rest of us down ........

Putting who down ? just an observation about extremely negative people. Do you consider yourself extremely negative about Thailand and Thais and still trying to stay here ? If so then I was talking about you. But not putting you down just questioning your logic of staying somewhere that you hate unless of course the good outweighs the bad.

And how successful I am, whatever I say about that is stupid because there is no way to check if i am telling the truth. Remarks like that are just pointless I could say I was a top robotics designer and trump up some fake stuff, you could do the same. So no point.

What he says, we're here for the cheap girls and warm climate. (you can keep the temples)

If there were no cheap girls, I would be living in France or Spain .....

So the good outweighs the bad that the point, and you never made a secret about your intentions had not expected a different reply from you. So for you all the bad is secondary to your love of the cheap girls. So it can't be that bad here .

Do you consider yourself extremely negative about Thailand and Thais and still trying to stay here ? If so then I was talking about you. But not putting you down just questioning your logic of staying somewhere that you hate unless of course the good outweighs the bad.

Not much positive to say about the country or people, everything is about GREED.

My logic for coming, cheap women.

My logic for staying, cheap women.

But wait, didn't you have one of those, now she's gone why are you staying?

How about you telling us your logic for staying?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Same reason people continue to use recreational drugs despite the fact that they're usually bad for your health. They're chasing the dragon that is their first six to twelve months in LOS. Also, knowing in the back of your head that you can get laid anytime you want for as little as $15 puts one's mind at ease a bit.

- Living back home would be even worse

- It's fun to let off steam and complain anonymously

- Not much point in giving praise to things that are good already

- Addressing problems with 'tough love' criticism can often mean you care more than someone would just pretends everything is great

- Makes sentences too long to add in caveats like 'the good outweighs the bad, and I still like living here, however I do wish that...' at the start

- Thailand is a curious country where the authorities / ruling elite / police / government etc. are worthy of disdain, but the average person on the street is really nice, quite a contrast

- I think you'll find many Thais complain just as much as us about the same things we do, if not more

Edited by jspill

I am not sure if the OP is hoping for real answers, or is he just ranting?

- some people are financially or emotionally stuck here.

- some people prefer the known devil (here) over the unknown devil (going back).

- winters in Farangland are cold, rainy, dark, windy, while winters in Polynesia etc are unaffordable.

- sex for losers

- some ( incl me) have found a nice place to live, where they are not too much disturbed by Thais or Farangs.

- some compare the Europe of their younger days to the Thailand of their old age, so of course Europe wins and Thailand sucks!

- and finally: of course we complain a lot... if I get extorted once a month, I will complain about it, if I don't get extorted the other 30 days I will not post about that.

PS My wife always says: Thailand has everything more good than Europe, but Europe has good government. Something to think about!

Do you consider yourself extremely negative about Thailand and Thais and still trying to stay here ? If so then I was talking about you. But not putting you down just questioning your logic of staying somewhere that you hate unless of course the good outweighs the bad.

Not much positive to say about the country or people, everything is about GREED.

My logic for coming, cheap women.

My logic for staying, cheap women.

But wait, didn't you have one of those, now she's gone why are you staying?

How about you telling us your logic for staying?

The greed is why you have your cheap woman they want money and you want a woman.

I had a girl that paid her way in the relation and we broke up without drama or me having to pay her loads of money or even loosing the house. No greed there.. hard to believe for you probably.

Why I am staying because i love it here, I love the freedom I have here, love to travel here love that hotels are not expensive and i can easily go to some beach. Love the diving, love riding my motorbike here, love fishing here.

- Living back home would be even worse

- It's fun to let off steam and complain anonymously

- Not much point in giving praise to things that are good already

- More efficient to address problems rather than spend time talking about positives

- Makes sentences too long to add in caveats like 'the good outweighs the bad, and I still like living here, however I do wish that...' at the start

- Thailand is a curious country where the authorities / ruling elite / police / government etc. are worthy of disdain, but the average person on the street is really nice, quite a contrast

- I think you'll find many Thais complain just as much as us about the same things we do, if not more

Just get bored with the guys constantly putting all Thais down acting like they are so superior. You see it a lot The worst guy I met that did that was.. suprise suprise not from the UK but Dutch.

I am not sure if the OP is hoping for real answers, or is he just ranting?

- some people are financially or emotionally stuck here.

- some people prefer the known devil (here) over the unknown devil (going back).

- winters in Farangland are cold, rainy, dark, windy, while winters in Polynesia etc are unaffordable.

- sex for losers

- some ( incl me) have found a nice place to live, where they are not too much disturbed by Thais or Farangs.

- some compare the Europe of their younger days to the Thailand of their old age, so of course Europe wins and Thailand sucks!

- and finally: of course we complain a lot... if I get extorted once a month, I will complain about it, if I don't get extorted the other 30 days I will not post about that.

PS My wife always says: Thailand has everything more good than Europe, but Europe has good government. Something to think about!

Point is the good outweighs the bad for many people but if you read here how negative people are its amazing. People tend to forget the good things.

I had a girl that paid her way in the relation and we broke up without drama or me having to pay her loads of money or even loosing the house. No greed there.. hard to believe for you probably.

Can't see any point in fighting over a rented house.

Especially if you can't afford the rent on your own wage.

No rented house bought for house that we both paid into.. now I got it.. paid her her share back. (now i got control of it and its safe) wont bother you with the details as this wont work for everyone.

But you're a foreigner, and can't own a house?

I foresee trouble ahead.

As long as people are speaking the truth I see no problem with them speaking out. Why sit back and suck it up all the time.... Call a spade a spade and move on.... Get it off your chest.... Release some stress ....

Many of us came here young and worked in real jobs made money, invested and planted roots. Things change and we don't like it and complain, so what, this is our home even though we are not Thai. We have homes, cars, wives or girlfriend, friends etc .... We have the right to complain when things are wrong.

People who bend over and take it all the time are the ones who bother me not the ones who speak up again the wrongs of the world.

People who come here on long holidays and think this is the greatest land in the world are blind and can't see anything as they have not had time. They don't read the papers, experience the corruption, or experience being robbed or raped. Be here awhile and you will see.... Sure it happens everywhere and people in those places complain also.

And what gives someone the right to say " if you don't like it go back to your own country" if they don't like what I say then don't listen.

People have the ability to block or skip people or posts they don't like. Stop complaining about people complaining !

Worry about yourself more and stop worrying about what other people do. Live and let live..... Have a nice day :)

Can't see any point in fighting over a rented house.

Especially if you can't afford the rent on your own wage.

No rented house bought for house that we both paid into.. now I got it.. paid her her share back. (now i got control of it and its safe) wont bother you with the details as this wont work for everyone.

But you're a foreigner, and can't own a house?

I foresee trouble ahead.

You can forsee all you want, told you there are things about me that you don't know. I said the house was safe did not say it was on my name. But i got control of it in a secure way, by using a Thai that i raised in my home country and who still lives there and a bit of Dutch law. Would not work with a Thai living here or someone you totally don't trust.

Wife and ability to grow many trees I like, dont like Thais much especially selfish cultural traits of "me first" and happy to say so.

Almost all the trees which can be grown in Thailand can also be grown in Mexico. Just something you might want to consider.

As long as people are speaking the truth I see no problem with them speaking out. Why sit back and suck it up all the time.... Call a spade a spade and move on.... Get it off your chest.... Release some stress ....

Many of us came here young and worked in real jobs made money, invested and planted roots. Things change and we don't like it and complain, so what, this is our home even though we are not Thai. We have homes, cars, wives or girlfriend, friends etc .... We have the right to complain when things are wrong.

People who bend over and take it all the time are the ones who bother me not the ones who speak up again the wrongs of the world.

People who come here on long holidays and think this is the greatest land in the world are blind and can't see anything as they have not had time. They don't read the papers, experience the corruption, or experience being robbed or raped. Be here awhile and you will see.... Sure it happens everywhere and people in those places complain also.

And what gives someone the right to say " if you don't like it go back to your own country" if they don't like what I say then don't listen.

People have the ability to block or skip people or posts they don't like. Stop complaining about people complaining !

Worry about yourself more and stop worrying about what other people do. Live and let live..... Have a nice day smile.png

You could take your own advice too biggrin.png

Edited by robblok

MaeJoMTB stirs the port well & truly.

Thank you, I enjoy the reactions.

All i see is a sexpat with an axe to grind approaching stalker status.

As for Thaivisa, its a retirment community. the moaning your read here is simply the complaints of those on the very back end of the downward ark.

doesnt matter where they live, it isn't getting any better, and no amount of ugly little houses and cold chang in the middle of nowhere is gong to fix that.

ta.

Edited by HooHaa

@ttthailand,

You are right of course.. I don't mind the complaining because of course there are things wrong here. Its more the putting down of the locals all the time that gets to me.

There are plenty of valid complaints, but acting like the locals are all dumb greedy and so on.. just not true.

Worry about yourself more and stop worrying about what other people do. Live and let live..... Have a nice day smile.png

You could take your own advice too biggrin.png

Big difference in what you and I complain about.

Now suck it up and bend over and be a good quiet little sheep....