Royal Enfields

jpb1963

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason for taking the delay is something I rather not discuss in public.

Today the price for the Himalayan was announced, it will be INR 155.545 (~81.000 baht) ex showroom, the price on the road in Mumbai INR 178.872 (~93.100 baht). So it is cheaper than the 500 Classic in India!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two years ago I nearly bought the Royal Enfield Classic in UK (it was then the one with the bells & whistles in the line up) retail price was £5500. It looked great and the engines are now thier own new developed units, upped CC with increased HP. The only thing that stopped me in the end was everyone who knew someone who had one said after two years they were falling apart and the metal work was really low quality so not a good combo in British climate...

I ended up paying an extra £2k and got a Triumph Bonneville T100A2 - two years later, no issues, looks as good as day it rolled out of dealers and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, this is a twin FI 865cc. The Enfields look great IMO and maybe in the Thai climate they will be a better proposition...

The Triumph is a nice bike. You made the correct decision IMO.

Are you aware that the frame and various other fabricated parts were made in Thailand?

True.

Two years ago I nearly bought the Royal Enfield Classic in UK (it was then the one with the bells & whistles in the line up) retail price was £5500. It looked great and the engines are now thier own new developed units, upped CC with increased HP. The only thing that stopped me in the end was everyone who knew someone who had one said after two years they were falling apart and the metal work was really low quality so not a good combo in British climate...

I ended up paying an extra £2k and got a Triumph Bonneville T100A2 - two years later, no issues, looks as good as day it rolled out of dealers and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, this is a twin FI 865cc. The Enfields look great IMO and maybe in the Thai climate they will be a better proposition...

Are you aware that the frame and various other fabricated parts were made in Thailand?

True.

I thought they were made in the Indian factory. Where did you hear/see that parts are made in Thailand?

True.

I thought they were made in the Indian factory. Where did you hear/see that parts are made in Thailand?

I think he is referring to the Triumph Bonneville, parts and frames are shipped over from UK to Thailand and assembled here in LOS at Triumphs factory, this is common knowledge among triumph owners clubs/forums etc, the bikes are then shipped to world markets. Enfields are all made in India period.

I thought they did a lot more than just assembly there (mainly the classics & tiger) ???

Yes - my understanding is that many of the components for the Bonneville, Street Triple, Tiger are made in Thailand and shipped to UK for assembly, but the latest development was the addition of some local assembly of full bikes which is why the price dropped (a bit).

And Enfield are now opening an R & D facility in the UK. Enfield also bought Harris, the UK frame maker, and they designed the frame of the Himalayan ... which I hope will be my next bike when/if it comes to Thailand. I hear it may need fuel injection, so perhaps a year away? But the early reviews of the Himalayan are positive (especially for the handling - so well done Harris).

• 1 month later...

will be great to see the Himalayan in THailand, great bike for adventure

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

Yes but according to the link, it's carburated which will make it difficult to pass Thai emissions controls.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan would easily pass Thai exhaust emission tests, the only reason why it’s not “yet” introduced in Thailand is that it would cost to much to introduce it on the Thai market.

Roayl Enfield has a limited amount of production capability, and important markets are served first. We probably have to wait until the demand for the Himalayan in the rest of the world starts to slowdown… Then Royal Enfield is more likely to look at countries like Thailand to introduce the bike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

A 750 twin is expected some time in the not too distant future.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Himalayan too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but the one in the video is the old one.

I watched a couple of videos on the RE and wonder if the bikes to be built in Thailand will have right foot gear-change? That will be fun going from my Lifan 5 gears down, left foot, to 1 down 4up right foot...ahhhh! Barn/line dancing was never a skill of mine.

Also will they have leccy start? I have seen the Indian's kicking them. I was a young fit man when I borrowed my mates Bonny with only kick start and it was a bit tough! Now as a coffin dodger and in this heat, I will be dead by the end of the week kicking a 1/2litre single......

On 17/10/2015 at 9:51 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I remember 2 instances when there we're arrangements to start importing them to Thailand BUT they never happened.

Strangely enough, however, I heard from a good (Thai) biker friend yesterday that there is another rumour that they are to be imported (again) at the end of the year. This info was on a thai language forum, I was told.

IF I find any facts,I'll post here. I'd love a Conti GT for ' pottering around town'

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.PNG

IMG_1444.PNG

IMG_1445.JPG

On 12/2/2016 at 2:32 PM, AllanB said:

I watched a couple of videos on the RE and wonder if the bikes to be built in Thailand will have right foot gear-change? That will be fun going from my Lifan 5 gears down, left foot, to 1 down 4up right foot...ahhhh! Barn/line dancing was never a skill of mine.

Also will they have leccy start? I have seen the Indian's kicking them. I was a young fit man when I borrowed my mates Bonny with only kick start and it was a bit tough! Now as a coffin dodger and in this heat, I will be dead by the end of the week kicking a 1/2litre single......

I am pretty sure they will have left side gear change as a proper bike should.

Yes they will also have electric start, I think the SR400 is one of the few bikes left in this world with kick start only. The RE's also sports a kick start as back-up.