Royal Enfields

jpb1963

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am pretty sure they will have left side gear change as a proper bike should.

Yes they will also have electric start, I think the SR400 is one of the few bikes left in this world with kick start only. The RE's also sports a kick start as back-up.

Looking at the pictures yes, you can see the foot-brake on the RHS and with leccy start that's a relief.

Now to find one with almost no chrome........

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a test ride today,  I'm pretty keen on one.  Been after a vintage bike for ages.  Want a battle green but no deliveries until February which is fine by me (have many bikes).  My thoughts? 

Good,  it's like an original classic (obviously) but better so as long as you don't go in with any other expectations it's great fun to ride.  Long stroke engine has no balancer shafts so shakes like a shitting dog at higher revs.  This translates to about 100+ kmh in top so you won't be going far above that nor will you be revving it out through the gears.  But you don't buy one if these for riding like that.  It's really enjoyable kicking along on the torque and relaxing.  Build quality is pretty good,  they've been making these in India for centuries and improving their tooling so it's buttoned up pretty good.  With good tires there's no horrible surprises in the handling and disc brake up front stops OK.  Has efi so fires right up and runs sweet and also has a kick starter so you can look cool outside the pub. Just needs a rack behind the seat with an old ammo box attached to put my groceries in! Actually,  what it needs is a sidecar with a 50 cal. attached to make riding in  Chiang Mai traffic pleasant!

In Chiang Mai the dealer is Suzuki big bike shop on the 107 just next to lanna Toyota. They have a demo and the guy was more than happy to let me take it for a spin.  Web site Google royal enfield Thailand.  

Been reading,  seems next year will see new engines,  a 400 and 650 twin. They will be updated to comply with latest emissions regs.  The 400 is already in the new Himalayan and looks quite modern. I like the look and feel of the current 500. I don't know what this means for the classic and bullet but think it will be a different character than the 500 we see now.  Another reason to own one now if you want an "old school" experience of the 500 thumper? 

• 2 weeks later...

I read in the news paper which name we are not allowed to mention that Royal Enfield is expanding in Thailand:  Arun Gopal, head of international business for the Indian maker of Royal Enfield motorcycles, said the new centres will be located in Songkhla, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pattaya in Chon Buri and Chiang Mai, and are due to start operations by the first quarter of next year.

It also mentioned that they sold over 800 bikes in the first 10 month according to the Land Transportation office.

Over 100 bikes were booked at the last motor Expo ending on the 12th December.

The Himalyan will be introduced next year.

Happy days for Royal Enfield indeed and it clearly shows that not all only want HP and more HP but are happy potting around within the speed limit.

I've always said Re would be popular in Thailand,  there's a good interest in classic bikes and many good memories for a lot of this of a time before the country was flooded with scooters. 

I saw two on a trip into town the other day,  one a Thai guy was quite chuffed with his when I had a quick yak with him at the lights.  They look good! 

On 12/24/2016 at 10:50 AM, thehelmsman said:

Check out the new twins coming out way next year. Crazy looking....in a good way.

The photos I can find on-line don't looks promising at all, nothing special about them man, I really hope the final product will look completely different than that.

I love the look of the 500's but have decided against buying one myself since I am not a bike collector and only keep 1 big bike in the garage at a time and I need one with more power than 26-27hp.

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly what they are going to do.  Make retro looking bikes with bigger capacity so they can cruise at higher speeds. The current 500 is limited to around 100 kmh before it vibrates too much.  It's OK for me,  I'm buying one to just putter around town on but they can't sell bikes in major foreign markets that are limited like that.  

5 hours ago, papa al said:

Doesn't increasing displacement and horse-power in these air cooled engines

cause challenges with cooling?

Even a 20 HP burn needs to spill a lot of heat.

Well Ducati's old Monster was air-cooled, they still use that engine in the Scrambler, 800cc 70hp.

It's okay when you are on the go but when sitting at red light for too long, the engine will get hot, very hot.

Some Bangkok based Harley riders I knew when riding HD years back, had a fan fitted they switched on when sitting a red lights.

Interesting news out that 2017 500 classic and continental gt will be Euro 4 compliant engines and have disc brakes at the rear and abs.  Already on sale in the Uk and Europe in this configuration. India will get them in April when their new emissions laws come onto affect.  Thailand? No idea.  

I was worried with mine being delivered in Feb, I'm assuming it will be a drum rear.  Initially thought to wait it out to go the disc and abs but kind of like the idea of getting the older style drum brake after some thought. It's cleaner and I've no idea where the abs control unit will go,  would be a shame if visible. It will stop better but cost more too. Engines are expected to have the same power output,  new ones have air recirculation valves built into the head as well, more crap to remove. 

Edited by Bung

That's good to know.  I read the ones sold in India will be pricier,  not by much though. They've had to add air recirculation gear to the head hear the exhaust port as well,  most modern bikes do this as well but even more crazy hanging off it. Even the current model has an ugly black box on the side of the engine - the fuel evaporation canister. All able to be removed but not sure if it will affect the injection.  The drum rear brake setup allows you to remove the rear wheel leaving the brass key and chain attached to the bike which is handy.  The disc set up won't allow you to do that I think. RE have no choice but to conform to these new regs and keep adding more and more things to pass emissions until the point where they will retire the model and design new engines. Which is what they are doing.  The classic 500 range is very popular for them,  they'll want to keep selling them for as long as possible I think. 

ABS controllers usually sit under the tank,  they may trim the tank down to fit it in there. Or buried somewhere behind the engine. 

If just an Evap canister its purpose is to collect gasoline which has evaporated and return it to the engine. Also used in case of tip over. If so, can be removed no problem. Probably installed with various valves - PAIR valve for one - which can be plugged off and all the hoses removed also.

Yep.  Done it to a few of my bikes.  One thing I've found is that manufacturers set their bikes up very lean to pass emissions.  Especially air cooled bikes.  My thruxton was terrible,  Jerky fuelling,  blued pipes,  excessive heat, all exacerbated if you make any air intake and exhaust mods.  There are some ecu piggy back controllers that help,  even for the RE. There's an ejk controller, same as everyone is fitting to their crf 250,  I have a spare one,  will see if it fits (probably just different connectors) as there's a guy in town making nice mufflers for them and I'll be putting one on. 

Strange you have to wait so long time Bung for your RE, I saw them in 2 shops here in Pattaya on the shop floors, but not a proper RE dealer any of them, one is a Stallion dealer + other Chinese bikes and the other is the huge Mityon chain dealer that owns countless bike shops around Pattaya.

I did notice that ugly black box on them and asked the sales lady; what is that? She didn't knew but I had a closer look and suspected it was some kind of gasoline collecting tank.

Yes If I owned one, that will be the first to go (if possible), it completely destroys the look of the lovely engine and stick out like a red pimple on a nose, ha-ha. 

I've ordered the battle green colour,  none left until next shipment in February apparently.  Some other colours are available off the shop floor now though. I'm away working until March anyway. 

20170119_174838.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's arrived! Delivered to my house and waiting for my return early March. Will have a nice ride up towards samoeng to get a few 100 initial run in k's on it. Think this bike I will need to pay closer attention to running it in than others I've had. First oil change at 500 klm's. It's the drum rear brake version but has the uprated fuel cap (the other version got a lot of complaints) .  I wonder if the euro 4 versions will make it here or not,  probably later in the year as an update model. 

20170216_085130.jpg