Thailand Tourism & Security agencies gear up for tourist safety campaign

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand Tourism & Security agencies gear up for tourist safety campaign

BANGKOK, 17 October 2015 (NNT) – Tourism agencies, tourist police and foreign diplomats have met at a special seminar jointly held by the Royal Thai Police and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

The seminar was meant to assure related agencies of the government’s safety measures for tourists. The opening ceremony was co-chaired by National Police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda and Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul.

Deputy National Police chief Pol Gen Wut Liptapallop said the police would concentrate on crime prevention and suppression of trans-national criminal networks, illegal tour operators and tour guides, drug trafficking gangs, hooligans and influential groups.

Pol Gen Wut revealed that the campaign would start on 1 November.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-17 footer_n.gif

"Deputy National Police chief Pol Gen Wut Liptapallop said the police would concentrate on crime prevention and suppression of trans-national criminal networks, illegal tour operators and tour guides, drug trafficking gangs, hooligans and influential groups"

Not sure tourists care much about trans-national criminal networks, drug traffickers, 'hooligans' and influential groups. This is more of an issue for Thailand to worry about than the tourists. As for the 'illegal' tour guides (Chinese,Russian etc), well they exist because the tourists like using them as they speak the same language as the tourists and provide a better service than the Thais..

Now if they had said the police would concentrate on over charging and scamming (tuk tuks, jet skis, grand palace is closed, gem stones, tailors, police etc) then the tourists might be interested.

"Deputy National Police chief Pol Gen Wut Liptapallop said the police would concentrate on crime prevention and suppression ..."

of evidence in case the crime was committed by a member of an important family.

Edited by jaltsc

Plenty of talk! That is what Thais are good at.

We stayed in a 5* resort in Phuket where the nightguard was sleeping at night! clap2.gif

When you try to walk over the sidewalk guess what? There isn't any! Have to walk on the road between the cars. giggle.gif

When there is a sidewalk guess what? It's full of vendors who all call me "boss"...wai2.gif

Go to the beach and there is no lifeguard and it's full of dirty dogs.

Okay i'll stop now or Rob gets angry and tells me to go home.gigglem.gif

Good to know that they will be protected from crime so that they can be killed on the highways where the odds are far far greater that they will die. But take heart, I'm sure there will be another ineffective road safety campaign very soon, after all, TIT ! ! ! !

The last item on the list is "influential groups". Good luck on that one.

Yes, the expression ' influential groups ' wasn't the best choice of words as there are so many groups that fall into that category.

However the groups I think he was referring to are often closely linked to his own influential group so have little to worry about.

This list is a joke, please, trans national crime doesn't concern my two weeks in Thailand. How about the seemingly endless suicides we all know are murders? I would like to know where my personal safety is guaranteed by a reliable police force not one that is completely useless or in many circumstances are responsible for said misery.