Registering 2nd hand bike imported

jpb1963

Hi all

Looking at a bike 1200cc imported from HK and not yet licensed in Thailand

He reckons that the import duty has been paid and has receipts for that and all it needs is emission test, 2 or 3% tax to be paid and it can be licensed. Loks like he brought in the frame and engine/gearbox separately.

does that sound right or wishful thinking?

Cheers.

I'm not sure about that particular bike, but from what I know, you're in for a lot of hassle and much more money than you think (and the seller wants to make you think). And then you still won't be sure to get it registered.

I would say, it's just not worth it. Better to buy a bike here that's already registered.

Just my 2 cents.

If it's just a little emissions test and small amount of tax, tell him to do that and after everything is finished and he got a green book, you'll buy it from him.

Like said before, there is a reason he didn't and wont do that.

yeah kind of obvious I guess, he saying he got a sore back blah blah but I think your all correct as well, age old saying if its too good to be true it probably is lol, registered if would be a 500k bike and he only wants 80k for it..... probably stole it from someone in HK thought he could off load here easy peesy but I didn't come down in the last rain shower haha

Even if all paperwork is 100% correct, the exhaust emission test will be a pain in the butt. A standard BMW 1200cc boxer engine doesn’t pass the Thai emission test.

In Thailand the BMW’s get a special fuel map loaded, this allows them to pass the emission test. With a grey / parallel imported BMW motorcycle you not have access to this special “Thai” fuel map as you get absolutely no help from BMW Thailand if you own a grey/parallel imported motorcycle…. Of course BMW Thailand is more than willing to sell you another ECU… but they’re not cheap.

Alternative route is to install a Dynojet Power Commander V and do the setup for low exhaust emission, which will mean you have to do several dyno runs to get the emission standard correct. You can ask for prices and setup advice for this route at Dirt Shop Bangkok

Edited by Richard-BKK

Even if all paperwork is 100% correct, the exhaust emission test will be a pain in the butt. A standard BMW 1200cc boxer engine doesn’t pass the Thai emission test.

In Thailand the BMW’s get a special fuel map loaded, this allows them to pass the emission test. With a grey / parallel imported BMW motorcycle you not have access to this special “Thai” fuel map as you get absolutely no help from BMW Thailand if you own a grey/parallel imported motorcycle…. Of course BMW Thailand is more than willing to sell you another ECU… but they’re not cheap.

Alternative route is to install a Dynojet Power Commander V and do the setup for low exhaust emission, which will mean you have to do several dyno runs to get the emission standard correct. You can ask for prices and setup advice for this route at Dirt Shop Bangkok

All good advice but I seem to recall (from a couple of years ago) that no second hand bike registrations were being issued any more?

Hi all

Looking at a bike 1200cc imported from HK and not yet licensed in Thailand

He reckons that the import duty has been paid and has receipts for that and all it needs is emission test, 2 or 3% tax to be paid and it can be licensed. Loks like he brought in the frame and engine/gearbox separately.

does that sound right or wishful thinking?

Cheers.

Buddy,I will say that its probably best way to stay away from that bike,big possibility it is stolen and even stolen bikes of this category coming down from HK are more expensive than he ask for.

It could be maybe from Malaysia but anyways stay away from it.

If he insists that bike is legal and he do know how to do whole process,tell him that you will like to have green book and you will pay for all necessary fees but he will get money for bike once bike book is been issued.

Quite usual procedure for cases like this in Thailand,I reckon that he will be not surprise with your proposal.

If he wants,make it whole deal on paper written on THAI LANGUAGE two photocopy of it signed with 3 witnesses (they will have to supply signed photocopies of theirs ID).

If you get bike papers done even if is costing another 100k you have get very good deal.

Good luck with it !

P.S.

I have forget most important thing of all,you will need to go with him at all the time,do not live him to do paperwork on his way,be there and make it sure that is done properly and legal!

Edited by faranginthailandonly

All good advice but I seem to recall (from a couple of years ago) that no second hand bike registrations were being issued any more?

It's still possible to register a motorcycle imported under the previous rules. Of course you need all documents, if the motorcycle (or frame / chassis) was imported without the needed import permit from the Thai Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce and a permit from the Thai Industrial Standard Institute. Of course it's currently impossible to get both permits, therefore making it impossible to import a secondhand / used motorcycle.

The need for the import permits was always a document you needed, but in the old days, people who imported used motorcycles often ignored the requirement for the import permits as the fine for not having a import permit was only 1,000 THB and getting a official import permit could take sometimes up to a month or even longer…

Now-a-day, if you try to register a imported used motorcycle that was imported under the old rules, I was told that all documents need to be 100% what include the need for the import permits. No import permits no registration… But please check that with your local office of the Department of Road Transport...

Ah now that you mention that I recall reading something about that as well - wont be going anywhere near it cheers for feedback everyone

Correct registration (and importation) of used frames into grey import bikes stopped being legal in 2012 IIRC.. I have the thai language police order for frame details at that time somewhere (I had a frame confiscated by customs).

New frames still can be, at a far higher tax rate than used was, and manufacturers can of course do homogenization of a single model.

If it's really really cheap for that bike, 4hen go for it. It may be worth riding it for a few years until it finally gets confiscated. I've been riding bikes here for years and only once was asked to show the tax for one of my cheaper bikes, happened in bkk too. If youre not based in bkk then the chances are you won't ever get asked to show bike's paperwork.

Like papa said - go for it!

Unless its fuel injected with all standard parts attached it wont pass the emissions test.

Yes, the KLR 650 would just suit me. Made in Thailand (song there somewhere). But because it doesn't pass Thai emission test, I can't have one. But I can buy a dirty old truck that's hidden by a cloud of black smoke. As everyone else has said, no green book, no buy.

yeah i thought about that but i do not want to compromise my ability to stay as a guest in thailand by blatantly flouting the rules, too old for that now lol, shame cuz it would be an awesome bike for touring on which is what i am currently looking for

Remember that Thailand is a very "green" country, dedicated to saving the planet. It does not go up in flames once or twice a year raining black ash as the farmers burn off stubble. All vehicles on the road comply with the most stringent EU, and even Californian emission tests, and the police enforce the regulations. Thailand leads the world in greenness. If you doubt me, ask the good general.

Unless its fuel injected with all standard parts attached it wont pass the emissions test.

Yes, the KLR 650 would just suit me. Made in Thailand (song there somewhere). But because it doesn't pass Thai emission test, I can't have one. But I can buy a dirty old truck that's hidden by a cloud of black smoke. As everyone else has said, no green book, no buy.

The Thai made 2016 Kawasaki KLR650, even like the 2015 model would actually have not a problem to meet Thai exhaust emission regulations, as you can find on an article on my own website, Kawasaki Thailand loves to tell people in Thailand it’s too dirty… While independent motorcycle dealers like RedBaron sells them 100% legal and plates for some time…

The real reason, which I hear for a few years is – the introduction of a single-650 will influence the sales numbers of the ER6 models… and as Kawasaki has no BIO (Thai Board Investment Board) deal for the local/domestic market it will just cost too much.

The answer is in the statement

firstly,,,Looking at a bike

''Looking at a bike 1200cc imported from HK''

secondly,,,brought in the frame and engine/gearbox

''Looks like he brought in the frame and engine/gearbox separately.''

When you go to register the bike for the first time?

Where is green book,,,,not have

Where is import paperwork for bike,,,,,,not have

What you have,,,,,import paperwork for parts

You have no bike,,, you have parts