Expert to fix Phi Phi national park

Jonathan Fairfield

Expert to fix Phi Phi national park

post-137452-0-64828900-1445062439_thumb.

PHUKET: A special adviser will set up his office within Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park to review the national treasure’s policies and developments, as the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) continues to investigate hundreds of millions of baht disappearing during the collection of national park fees over the last three years.

“The goal is reform. I don’t care about the investigation or the results that the DNP will eventually reveal,” said Thon Thamrongnawasawat, a member of the National Reform Council (NRC), who will be taking up his post in Phi Phi within the next three weeks. “The national park covers more than 200,000 rai. However, they only have four officers and two small boats, which is just unbelievable.”

Dr Thon explained that all park entrance fees collected were supposed to be sent to the DNP main office in Bangkok and then redistributed to parks. However, quality proposals have to be submitted to the DNP for development and park management projects for any funds to be allocated.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-17

When someone is mugged for maybe a few hundred or few thousand baht, or even have their mobile stolen, the Police are on the case.

Yet when a few hundred million Baht "vanish", and the Baht could be easily tracked up the line from the entrance kiosks, I wonder if the Thai Fraud Squad are on that tracking. I even wonder if Thailand has a Fraud Squad.

“The goal is reform. I don’t care about the investigation or the results that the DNP will eventually reveal,” said Thon Thamrongnawasawat, a member of the National Reform Council (NRC), who will be taking up his post in Phi Phi within the next three weeks.

Somehow I don't think anyone is going to be held responsible here...

Archived