Flash Memory Sticks

thechairman18

When I'm on holiday in Thailand, I use Internet cafes, as I don't have a Laptop.

I have a Flash memory stick, which I insert in the USB of the PC.

I do online banking, as I like to keep track of my finances.

My question is, if someone has put a keystroke logger onto the PC, will they then be able to read where I have been, or will my using the Flash stick thwart their efforts.

thechairman18

The only way you could get away from the keylogger is if you booted from the flash. But then you would need to configure the internet on whatever OS you booted from to access the banking sites. Wouldn't trust any Internet cafes with the type of info you want to use it for. Possible exceptions would be the big 5 star International Hotels, but no guarantees.

Anywhere you can run programs from a USB key, a bad guy can install his favourite rootkit/keylogger/backdoor...

Only if they have direct access to the USB flash.

Even booting from a flash drive won't prevent a hardware keylogger.

You're right silvero, funny because I started typing hardware keylogger and changed my mind. :o

To the OP, there are no guarantees when using public computers so just depend how much risk you want to take and how important this access is.

If your log-in uses drop down menu's for password letter that have to be accessed using a mouse then keyboard loggers are defeated.

If not then change bank to one that is more secure.

Unless keyboard loggers have got a lot more sophisticated?

@briley - sadly, keyloggers can now take screenshots at every mouse-click, for those who keep their passwords on the USB key there is a tool which silently copies the contents of any USB drive inserted into a computer. The only semi-safe way is to use two-factor authentication (security token/mobile phone etc) and a partial password, but even that isn't 100% by any means.

@Tywais & the OP - my post was meaning *if* you can run your browser from a USB key at a particular machine/cafe *then* a bad guy can sit at the same machine and run his programs too...Imagine what a 'bad' net cafe admin would be capable of...makes me cringe! I agree completely with your comment to the OP, one should consider what damage someone malicious could possibly do with the info you are putting into that computer and act accordingly.

I'd add one other suggestion, and that is to set a daily/weekly online withdrawal limit as low as you can handle, so that even if you get done, you can limit the damage.

One program I found today...Remora USB Disk Guard...It's free and encrypts folders or files on your usb and runs from the usb. Plus there is Portable Firefox. But I would definitely not do banking from any internet cafe. Maybe you could use an internet enabled cell phone?