Hero Thai fisherman rescues Norwegian couple from sinking mud

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I've missed something but why this two Norvegian birdwatcher didn' call back the fisherman to thanks for his help as life has no price and the cameras are for sure more expensive than the fishermans has as yearly income.

Bravo for his actions.

Maybe I've missed something but why this two Norvegian birdwatcher didn' call back the fisherman to thanks for his help as life has no price and the cameras are for sure more expensive than the fishermans has as yearly income.

Bravo for his actions.

See post #77.

...hope they gave him more than some flowers in a vase as was seen in one photo....

You can rest easy, the Norwegian and his wife went to the residence of Mr Chat and rewarded him with a cash gift of B10,000.

That is a kind gesture in return for his efforts. This story has gone worldwide and will bring the rescuer much good karma.

"The Norwegian pair however did reward him for his chivalry and traveled to his house to deliver a cash prize later." Coconuts

Am I seeing the same video as everyone else? A 200+ pound man is stuck in the mud. A 130 or so pound man lies on his belly allowing the big man to use his vertebrae to leverage not only the 200+ pounds but the additional suction resistance that the bigger man with - more muscular power - could not overcome. Risk? Damned right there was risk. Furthermore, how much longer could the Norwegian have endured the physical and emotional stress before he or his wife had a heart attack. Oh, yeah. And how much longer before the tide came in?

People will never want anyone else to be called heroes when they are aware that they themselves will never have the courage to do anything heroic.

I come from a country where people count as heroes military men who sit at a monitor in a bunker far from combat and play video games with drones while wiping out whole families. That's not heroism, that's government propaganda. What happened here the government had nothing to do with.

'I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "hero"'

Yes, that's the important thing to take away from the story ... whether or not the semantics meet your approval,

" ...people like him who still give me hope for this country. "

How patronizing and egocentric.

And here comes Suradit69 yet again, to add his usual brand of negativity to this feel-good news story.

May I ask you why you choose to post on this forum, Suradit? You seem to have nothing but contempt for the people who post here.

Perhaps that's because so many of the comments warrant contempt?

You may not have meant to, but you support my point perfectly. If Suradit dislikes the comments here so much, why has he spent so much of his own time making thousands of posts on this forum?

Bravo for his actions.

Apparently they went and looked him up a few days later, wife has been following it on the Thai news.

Man saves 2 Norwegian bird watchers sinking in Thailand mud

BANGKOK (AP) — A construction worker on a fishing trip dramatically rescued two Norwegian bird watchers who were sinking into a mudflat in southern Thailand, lying down in the mud to allow the pair to use his body to pry themselves to safety.
The incident Friday morning in Krabi province was caught on camera by an amateur photographer from Bangkok, who posted the video on his Facebook page. The posting got at least 1.6 million views, with many showering the rescuer with praise.
The Norwegian pair, whose names were not released, had taken their cameras to a river estuary at first light Friday, but the mudflats proved to be far less firm than they had thought. Very quickly, they found themselves sinking.
A local construction worker, identified by Thai media as Chat Ubonchinda, was heading home from his fishing trip by boat when he spotted them.
First, he tried to pull the two out, but the mud was too thick.
After taking their belongings to firmer ground, Chat lay down in the mud and let the two lift themselves up by pulling against his body. One of them even crawled across his back on the way to safety.
"All Thais are proud of what you did, it's great and no more words need to be explained," Somchai Ouansakul wrote in a Facebook comment. "I wish all Thais would have such a big heart like this."
aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-18

Well done! Nothing more to say. wai.gif

Great to read and see this pic. I have been helped by the Thai people many times. Most of the Thais are good people but just like in any other country you still have a few bad people!

This was the second report of Thai bravery in the last week. My wife saw an item on the Thai news that a banana boat driver at Bang Saen died helping children that had fallen off the banana.

Bravo for his actions.

Guess, still under kind of a shock.

Stunned first by their misdadventure leading to a no way out experience followed by the absolute selfless acting by an unkown human being and him obviously considering his doing the most usual thing in the world.

Isn't altruism like a needle in a haystack in modern times? rolleyes.gif

Hero ? I am not sure. A role model yes and a great example of helpfulness.

I don't want to show off, but I helped people out of life endangering situation by jumping in the Atlantics cold waters at New Years Eve.

Imposssible to just stop and look. Never considered myself as a hero. It was a normal action and it should be normal for everyone

to be brave and helpful.

Don't get me wrong, the action of this Thai man was great and deserves a good reward and recognition.

Good to spread the news on Youtube but don't put it as if it was something rare and abnormal.

Well done and all that stuff!

What interests me is how much attention and praise is given to this normal action. As if it's a very rare deed of humanity.

We are all so impressed by this mans actions and he is even getting international attention.

He's probably thinking himself too that the whole world has gone mad.

Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days.

We really have to ask ourselves why we are so surprised and full of praise for an otherwise very normal thing to do.

Who wouldn't help someone stuck in the mud? And if it's too dangerous for ones own life call for some help.

Perhaps it's the media brainwashing us again wink.png I'm sure TAT will send the maker of the video a nice wee surprise too. Normally they rely on the insurance companies for their promotion videos

"Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days."

In a word - Yes! Far too often the media "brainwashing" spotlight is on the negative things in life. Take for instance the case of the mentally retarded man who attacked an innocent stranger in Bangkok recently. Not one passerby stopped to help, including motorbike riders and a bus (AND the person taking the video!). And the official advice in such a situation? "Don't look them in the eye!"

I've seen American television footage of crowds of passers by ignoring an unconscious man on the ground on a crowded "sidewalk", and in England I know of an instance where a man phoned for an ambulance for a man who appeared to be having a heart attack, and he got the bill for it! I have also heard of many similar situations over here where the "Good Samaritan" gets taken advantage of, even by the police, or those involved in the incident. The official standpoint seems to be "stay out of it, or you will get punished yourself in some way". So, I'm not Thai bashing, it is a universal problem, and Thailand seems to following some examples of bad behaviour in the "civilised" world.

So, to see such a display of selflessness and humanity is rare, and worthy of praise, not cynicism.

Despite all the crap we read on here on a daily basis, mostly from Phukett and Pataya, there actually are a lot of good Thai people out there. A couple of years back I was going from Pai to Phayao and got run off the road by some jerk in a pick up. Wasn't hurt, but no way was I getting my CBR back up on the road alone. Pick up truck full of Thai saw me struggling and stopped to help. It took 5 of them to get the bike back up on the road, and pull the weeds out. Then checked me out and kept saying "Ok? Ok?" I assured them I was fine and they finally left. Another time just east of Den Chai I got caught in a serious thunderstorm. Pulled off to the side of the road under a large tree to put on my rain gear. A few minutes later an old man with an umbrella came out. He motioned for me to pull my bike into his yard and under a canopy, then motioned for me to come into the house. Him, his wife, and about 4 kids were all excited to have a falang in their house. They brought me food and encouraged me to eat. When it appeared as if the rain wasn't going to let up, they brought blankets and a pillow for me to sleep on the "living room" floor. I woke up around 5 am, folded the blankets, put the pillow on top, then put 1,000 baht note on the pillow before quietly leaving. Just as I straddled the bike, the old man came out and gave me a wai, with a big smile.

None of those people had to help me, but they did. And they didn't do it for "compensation". They did it out of kindness. Personally, I love the average Thai person.

Riding solo, almost the same scenario happened to me before, in the Trang-Phattalung stretch. It was raining so heavily that it would be too dangerous to continue riding. I pulled into a home by the roadside and a man came out with big smile. .. the family made me a cup of tea while I waited nearly 2 hours for the rain to stop and continue my journey. They refused my token of appreciation, and returned my Wai...

Another biker friend ran out of gas at Phangha, and while pushing his bike in the dark, 2 guys came along and between chicken to duck talk, they realised my friend's problem...they rode off and after a long while came back with 2 bottles of gasoline....they handed the bottles over and just rode off, without giving my buddy time to repay their kindness nor the cost oft he gasoline ...

Hero ? I am not sure. A role model yes and a great example of helpfulness.

I don't want to show off, but I helped people out of life endangering situation by jumping in the Atlantics cold waters at New Years Eve.

Imposssible to just stop and look. Never considered myself as a hero. It was a normal action and it should be normal for everyone

to be brave and helpful.

Don't get me wrong, the action of this Thai man was great and deserves a good reward and recognition.

Good to spread the news on Youtube but don't put it as if it was something rare and abnormal.

The thing is, it was something rare and abnormal! A poor Thai fisherman helping someone in need without thought of monetary favour.

Going by recent events, if the police had been involved there would have been a huge reward given (to themselves!)

Edited by sambum

Begs the question though...why was the Norwegian stuck in the mud in the first place?

Looks like they were only 20 metres or so from the promenade. Big lens on the camera. What birds were they taking photos of that required them to wade through the mud?

Begs the question though...why was the Norwegian stuck in the mud in the first place?

Looks like they were only 20 metres or so from the promenade. Big lens on the camera. What birds were they taking photos of that required them to wade through the mud?

Maybe "Mudcrabs"? (OK they're not "birds" but some "birds" seem to like 'em!

Edited by sambum

Whether he is a hero or not is subjective.

In my opinion he is .

To say all he has done is pull someone out of some mud is to display the same ignorance of the risks as the couple who got stuck.

The risk here is that the ANYONE stuck in that mud is unable to move as tide rushes in and would probably drown , a horrible death.

That fisherman had a skill set and knowledge of how to manoeuvre himself in a hazardous environment.

As a inner city firefighter in a city with a tidal large river running through it , ive attended several incidents where people have become trapped in the mud. we send 9 firefighters , use inflatable rafts and mud lances to free people this guy did it ALONE with just perseverance and experience and for NO PAY.

If he had become stuck ( a vacuum is a vacuum no matter your nationality) he risked drowning too.

He is a hero in my book .

The Thai government should be making a national hero of him , he should be plastered all over TV. Id love to see him used as a role model for young thai men.

A construction worker knows materials and statics by experience, he instinctively calculate the ratio between his weight and the ground supporting power per area unit. If you knew international construction industry you will know that Thai workers are sought for their innate ability, look at bamboo scaffolding system for instance.

It's just a human helping another human , It's called humanity , But becasue Thailand the land of money, Money number 1. people always think the worst of people, But a good deed hope he gets his just reward in life.

Edited by Thongkorn

The video taken on this whole scene raises some questions with me. Seems professional.

The operator was more interested in the shot than giving a hand,

In case it is a true story kodos to the fisherman.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I know this guy is Norwegian and it is not staged .

Please stop the Thai bashing and read the published articles .

The Norwegian gave the fisherman 10000 baht , first he refused but they insisted he should keep it , the latest story is here:

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/532927

The couple seems to be in trouble and the photographers' interested in making the video iso helping out.

Thai bashing? Forgive me for the unreasobale feeling of cinics, and why would I be disappointed? Stop bashing farang !

Well, a big Thank you is ok. But I also think a nice sum of money would give this, probably poor guy, a happy day.

Well, just to bring you up to date, since you did not read previous posts, see post #125. All's well that ends well.

Another mud splattered happy ending.

very commendable action by a probably very honorable Thai citizen,

yet I have a feeling it is a bit much to title him a hero, as nobody in this story was at any time at risk of getting harmed.

Well done! but hero... too much

Oh Man, I would like to see your acting in a similar case ... you are very good from your armchair.

Well done and all that stuff!

What interests me is how much attention and praise is given to this normal action. As if it's a very rare deed of humanity.

We are all so impressed by this mans actions and he is even getting international attention.

He's probably thinking himself too that the whole world has gone mad.

Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days.

We really have to ask ourselves why we are so surprised and full of praise for an otherwise very normal thing to do.

Who wouldn't help someone stuck in the mud? And if it's too dangerous for ones own life call for some help.

Perhaps it's the media brainwashing us again wink.png I'm sure TAT will send the maker of the video a nice wee surprise too. Normally they rely on the insurance companies for their promotion videos

"Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days."

In a word - Yes! Far too often the media "brainwashing" spotlight is on the negative things in life. Take for instance the case of the mentally retarded man who attacked an innocent stranger in Bangkok recently. Not one passerby stopped to help, including motorbike riders and a bus (AND the person taking the video!). And the official advice in such a situation? "Don't look them in the eye!"

I've seen American television footage of crowds of passers by ignoring an unconscious man on the ground on a crowded "sidewalk", and in England I know of an instance where a man phoned for an ambulance for a man who appeared to be having a heart attack, and he got the bill for it! I have also heard of many similar situations over here where the "Good Samaritan" gets taken advantage of, even by the police, or those involved in the incident. The official standpoint seems to be "stay out of it, or you will get punished yourself in some way". So, I'm not Thai bashing, it is a universal problem, and Thailand seems to following some examples of bad behaviour in the "civilised" world.

So, to see such a display of selflessness and humanity is rare, and worthy of praise, not cynicism.

I agree with what you say about society these days and of course this 'hero' deserves praise, but enough is enough. All the analyzing, lengthy discussions, etc. It proves my case. If we are so surprised by such a small act of kindness then we as a species have really lost our way. I understand the Thai media and that they want to advertise this positive news instead of bad news but that's it. This story is taking on Hollywood proportions. Governors, local politicians and other VIP's are actually making their way down there to meet the man in question just to get a photo with him so that they can boost their own PR. Next thing Obama is flying in on Air Force One with the Medal of Honor wink.png

Edited by DaveinAsia

Whether he is a hero or not is subjective.

In my opinion he is .

To say all he has done is pull someone out of some mud is to display the same ignorance of the risks as the couple who got stuck.

The risk here is that the ANYONE stuck in that mud is unable to move as tide rushes in and would probably drown , a horrible death.

That fisherman had a skill set and knowledge of how to manoeuvre himself in a hazardous environment.

As a inner city firefighter in a city with a tidal large river running through it , ive attended several incidents where people have become trapped in the mud. we send 9 firefighters , use inflatable rafts and mud lances to free people this guy did it ALONE with just perseverance and experience and for NO PAY.

If he had become stuck ( a vacuum is a vacuum no matter your nationality) he risked drowning too.

He is a hero in my book .

The Thai government should be making a national hero of him , he should be plastered all over TV. Id love to see him used as a role model for young thai men.

I agree with this statement. This man should be made a national hero. wai.gif