Hero Thai fisherman rescues Norwegian couple from sinking mud

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begs the question though...why was the Norwegian stuck in the mud in the first place?

Looks like they were only 20 metres or so from the promenade. Big lens on the camera. What birds were they taking photos of that required them to wade through the mud?

Who knows, maybe they were looking for mud crabs?

The Norwegian guy has been interviewed and tells his story , source Thailands tidende:

- What were you doing when you got trapped in the mud?
- We were taking photographs of wildlife that appears on the mud flats in the mangrove forests at low tide. It felt safe to walk slowly outward, step by step. Then I suddenly lost my footing and I was completely stuck in a sinkhole.
- How long did it take before you discovered that you were stuck? Were you afraid for your life?
- I quickly realized that it would be difficult to free myself. My wife Guo Yaxiang tried to help and got stuck as well. It felt scary that we were drawn further down the more we tried to get out. We soon realized that we had to stop trying to get out. I will have to say, we were not directly fearful for our lives. Also, in such circumstances, you try to devote your thoughts to rational solutions to the problem at hand.
- How long time did you shout for help before the rescuer came along?
- We did not call out for help immediately, but tried to get out by using the camera tripod as leverage. The rescuer came before we got to try out this plan. First he rescued the camera equipment, then he tried to pull us out. He could not, so he lay down flat on the ground so we could use him as support to get out. Before we had time to thank him, he disappeared. It was a remarkable rescue action to help strangers in this way, completely without thought for personal gain. Fortunately, we managed, in cooperation with the local press, to track him down so we could thank him correctly together with the mayor of Krabi.
- Were there other people nearby who saw what happened?
- There were not many people around, but when we were out, a lady came along with water bottles so we could get rid of most of the clay. The people are so warm and helpful here.
- Were you afraid that you would harm the rescuer by using his back as leverage?
- Yes, we had to come out one at a time, gently. He ensured us that it was OK. He obviously knew how to perform such a rescue action.
- The video has been shared many times on social media, what do you think about that? Is it fun to be "famous"?
- The beauty of this situation is that the main focus is on a good deed, very different from most of the news stories in the world today. We were going to keep a low profile, but decided we had to come forward to tell our story about this man and the great rescue he performed.
- Is the monetary amount the rescuer got a secret, or can it be revealed?
- I don't think it's right to reveal that, but donations were given both from us and several other sources. We hope this will come in handy later in life for the caring fisherman who expected nothing for his actions.
Edited by balo

I do not believe this story. I'm loyal to this forum and what it has taught me about Thai culture.

I'm calling bs. The fisherman is probably Buramese anyway.

With 14 posts it didn't take you long to become cynical ,did it?

Well done and all that stuff!

What interests me is how much attention and praise is given to this normal action. As if it's a very rare deed of humanity.

We are all so impressed by this mans actions and he is even getting international attention.

He's probably thinking himself too that the whole world has gone mad.

Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days.

We really have to ask ourselves why we are so surprised and full of praise for an otherwise very normal thing to do.

Who wouldn't help someone stuck in the mud? And if it's too dangerous for ones own life call for some help.

Perhaps it's the media brainwashing us again wink.png I'm sure TAT will send the maker of the video a nice wee surprise too. Normally they rely on the insurance companies for their promotion videos

"Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days."

In a word - Yes! Far too often the media "brainwashing" spotlight is on the negative things in life. Take for instance the case of the mentally retarded man who attacked an innocent stranger in Bangkok recently. Not one passerby stopped to help, including motorbike riders and a bus (AND the person taking the video!). And the official advice in such a situation? "Don't look them in the eye!"

I've seen American television footage of crowds of passers by ignoring an unconscious man on the ground on a crowded "sidewalk", and in England I know of an instance where a man phoned for an ambulance for a man who appeared to be having a heart attack, and he got the bill for it! I have also heard of many similar situations over here where the "Good Samaritan" gets taken advantage of, even by the police, or those involved in the incident. The official standpoint seems to be "stay out of it, or you will get punished yourself in some way". So, I'm not Thai bashing, it is a universal problem, and Thailand seems to following some examples of bad behaviour in the "civilised" world.

So, to see such a display of selflessness and humanity is rare, and worthy of praise, not cynicism.

I agree with what you say about society these days and of course this 'hero' deserves praise, but enough is enough. All the analyzing, lengthy discussions, etc. It proves my case. If we are so surprised by such a small act of kindness then we as a species have really lost our way. I understand the Thai media and that they want to advertise this positive news instead of bad news but that's it. This story is taking on Hollywood proportions. Governors, local politicians and other VIP's are actually making their way down there to meet the man in question just to get a photo with him so that they can boost their own PR. Next thing Obama is flying in on Air Force One with the Medal of Honor wink.png

While we wait for Obama, i'll give you the Medal of Humour smile.png

I do not believe this story. I'm loyal to this forum and what it has taught me about Thai culture.

I'm calling bs. The fisherman is probably Buramese anyway.

i swear that was actually my first thought, when i saw the picture of the fisherman/construction worker, i thought this guy was Burmese.

My second thought, was all this thing was staged...whistling.gif

very commendable action by a probably very honorable Thai citizen,

yet I have a feeling it is a bit much to title him a hero, as nobody in this story was at any time at risk of getting harmed.

Well done! but hero... too much

Oh Man, I would like to see your acting in a similar case ... you are very good from your armchair.

I don't have to stress over what you write.

Because I know what I have done and others thanked me already :-)

Well done and all that stuff!

What interests me is how much attention and praise is given to this normal action. As if it's a very rare deed of humanity.

We are all so impressed by this mans actions and he is even getting international attention.

He's probably thinking himself too that the whole world has gone mad.

Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days.

We really have to ask ourselves why we are so surprised and full of praise for an otherwise very normal thing to do.

Who wouldn't help someone stuck in the mud? And if it's too dangerous for ones own life call for some help.

Perhaps it's the media brainwashing us again wink.png I'm sure TAT will send the maker of the video a nice wee surprise too. Normally they rely on the insurance companies for their promotion videos

"Has the world become such a selfish and cold hearted place? When we see an act of courage we all stand in awe because it's so rare these days."

In a word - Yes! Far too often the media "brainwashing" spotlight is on the negative things in life. Take for instance the case of the mentally retarded man who attacked an innocent stranger in Bangkok recently. Not one passerby stopped to help, including motorbike riders and a bus (AND the person taking the video!). And the official advice in such a situation? "Don't look them in the eye!"

I've seen American television footage of crowds of passers by ignoring an unconscious man on the ground on a crowded "sidewalk", and in England I know of an instance where a man phoned for an ambulance for a man who appeared to be having a heart attack, and he got the bill for it! I have also heard of many similar situations over here where the "Good Samaritan" gets taken advantage of, even by the police, or those involved in the incident. The official standpoint seems to be "stay out of it, or you will get punished yourself in some way". So, I'm not Thai bashing, it is a universal problem, and Thailand seems to following some examples of bad behaviour in the "civilised" world.

So, to see such a display of selflessness and humanity is rare, and worthy of praise, not cynicism.

I agree with all you say , however I sit and watch the events on my pc from the comfort of my armchair . I would like to think that I would intervene in a situation such as the Bangkok attack by the mental retard . Problem is , I am in my late sixties and my brain hasn't told my body yet .What would you do ? jump in and risk a beating at the least . I have also witnessed some very nasty husband / wife/ b/f/ g/f fights ,one of which I shouted at the guy to stop , all the crowd who were watching the fight turned to look at me and the girl got up and ran off . I was then pulled into a shop by my g/f who told me I was in danger and not to get involved in other peoples affairs . Women / wife beating is common and almost accepted and the police do not want to know .

The main point of this post to me is to celebrate a magnificent, unselfish act by a man who probably had no idea that he was being filmed . He acted alone without help or advice from any others on pure instinct and I am sure there must have been onlookers . Having saved the couple from certain drowning , he simply walked back to his boat and off into the distance not considering what a wonderful act of humanity he had performed . He is a real hero for sure and those who doubt that need to wake up and smell the coffee . They must be reading too many comics .

He's a hero.

Tell it to the thousands of dinosaurs who got stuck in the mud and became oil.

There is a limit to the amount of time people can struggle before they start having serious physical consequences.

you could see from the vdo the couple were not really in great shape to start with, not very fit I mean and I think it is was very stupid of the Norwegians to think they could go out and take a stroll on such a terrain

This is imho the real essence of the story in a few words and sadly could not agree more:

" The beauty of this situation is that the main focus is on a good deed, very different from most of the news stories in the world today."

Heroic is hardly pulling someone out of the mud. This is cheap propaganda intended for European consumption so Thailand's fishing industry can continue and avoid a red card.

And who stole you Cheerios?

coffee1.gif

Come on dude, you really think there just happened to be a guy with a video camera just waiting to film this "random" act.

farang saved trapped thais you wouldnt be writing this.

its funny, you dont realize how close to death you can go sometimes.

being 'saved' feels good and relief at the time.

but,, if they werent saved, then its a horrible way to die, (scared and crying).

i was also rescued (in australia) when i was pushed out to sea by the strong current on a Scuba-Diving trip and i was yelling and inflating this rescue balloon, but my boat (2km away) couldnt see me.

my feet were dragging on coral and getting cut, i was so scared, and after about 15 minutes of this, i was lucky that a smaller private boat just happened to be passing and saw me wink.png

it only really just dawned on me (about 10 years later) how lucky I was).

at the time I was just happy-go-lucky and didnt realize how close I came to dying at sea that day.

Hence, I really feel happy for the Norwegian couple (and every other person) that gets saved in any incident.

Commas work wonders for parentheses. [emoji39]

At the start of the video sequence, there is a copper blowing away on a whistle like there was a Bangkok traffic jam that needed clearing, making me wonder if he saw the couple stuck, and that was the reason he was blowing his whistle. But if so, what could be the meaning? "Get out of the mud you dumb farang couple?" "Help someone needs rescuing here, but I don't want to get my shiny badge and starch pressed uniform dirty"? Or, "is that a local good samaritan going to help them, perhaps if I blow my whistle hard enough he will leave them alone and I can have more fun watch them wriggle in the mud, until I call my mates at Por Teck Tung in about half an hour to come rescue them"?

Who knows, but the fishermen did well and had good presence of mind how to get them out with minimum fuss and to do. He has probably done it quite a few times before and it was nothing heroic for him, though he deserves some thanks and perhaps a small token of appreciation from the Norwegians, who might have been there some time until the BIB did anything to help........whistling.gif

Another pathetic attempt at police bashing. How do you know the sound was a "copper" blowing his whistle, maybe it was a security guard directing traffic. Regardless of who whistled maybe they could not see the event unfolding, do you know how far away the person making the video was, and obviously the whistler was behind the photographer.

This event took place not far from the police post, or should I say police coffee shop. The Thai fisherman/contractor was a good Thai, not a description you could attach to a Thai policeman/mafia.

My wife Guo Yaxiang tried to help...

Ah, I think his wife is Chinese - imagine if she had been sucked under the mud, all because no Thais were willing to help.

Maybe TAT staged this to boost Chinese tourism? A Thai man selflessly helps to rescue a beautiful Chinese lady (and her fat gweilo husband)

(For those with no sense of humour, that last para was a joke BTW)

Edited by simon43

Kind of an over blown story.

The tourists were in no real danger. They just got stuck in the mud near the river bank. From the video you can see they weren't going to sink any deeper. It was in a heavily populated area, not in the middle of nowhere.

The local fisher man obviously knows the waterways there and knew it was no bog deal. Hence he just walked over to them, and since he is lighter he could easily do that, and helped pull the old geezers out.

It's something any normal person would do in a similar situation and entirely unremarkable.

Kind of an over blown story.

The tourists were in no real danger. They just got stuck in the mud near the river bank. From the video you can see they weren't going to sink any deeper. It was in a heavily populated area, not in the middle of nowhere.

The local fisher man obviously knows the waterways there and knew it was no bog deal. Hence he just walked over to them, and since he is lighter he could easily do that, and helped pull the old geezers out.

It's something any normal person would do in a similar situation and entirely unremarkable.

So how many times have you done this sort of thing?

I live by a dam and the Thais love to take their pickup onto dam floor. They often get stuck in the mud. The look on their faces when I get a tractor and pull them out is a picture. One guy ask how much for a farang to pull out a Thai. I said 50฿ for diesel. They generously gave me 100฿.

If you don't get off you butt and do things like this, then you are less than unremarkable.

International news? Rescued from waist-height mud? Is there a reach going on here for the purpose of..cleaning a very tarnished image? Seems like the media is in on the attempted cleansing. Sorry, just isn't going to cut it.

Edited by freedom4life

Maybe I've missed something but why this two Norvegian birdwatcher didn' call back the fisherman to thanks for his help as life has no price and the cameras are for sure more expensive than the fishermans has as yearly income.

Bravo for his actions.

See post #77.

Thanks and as I said I may missed this part, well done 10,000THB is a good tip for the fisherman. They are good Norvegian men in this case.

before tourists used to loose their fat wallet in a honest taxi

now they are sinking in mud... well done TAT.thumbsup.gif

Note to all non-native (and some native) English speakers world-wide:

If you LOSE weight, your pants will get LOOSE.

seriously, you are still on this story.... that was all staged.

I wrote a little song for our dumb TV members

I need a thai hero

I'm holding out for a issan hero 'til the end of the night

He's gotta be drunk

And he's gotta be lazy

And he's gotta be fresh from the bar

I need a thai hero

I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light

He's gotta be staged

And it's gotta be filmed

And he's gotta be larger than my wife

tututu tututu tututu tututu ahhhh ahhhhh

and i just produce this clip with my friend Bonny

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Another example of the kindness and graciousness of the Thai people. After witnessing so many times Thai's being mistreated and trying to be taken advantage of by greedy and selfish Westerners, it is a wonder there are so many Thai's that still have that amazing and endearing demeanor of friendship, good natureship, and respect for other people.

Completely agree with your praise for this selfless Thai. Now can you please list the greedy and selfish acts, committed by Farangs on Thais that you have witnessed.