Best way to get a Surface Book to Thailand?

dia1

So I'm pretty much foaming at the mouth at the new Surface Book that Microsoft just revealed and is releasing later this month. It's already available for preorder in the states, (and has sold out) and the Thailand Microsoft store doesn't even list the Surface Book yet and doesn't have an English version anymore. The English store doesn't ship to Thailand apparently.

So looks like I will either have to risk buying a severaly overpriced one from a place like MBK where I have a 50/50 shot that it will be fake, or order it from overseas.

So what's the best way to get one of these buggers once there is more stock? Am I going to have to forward it to somneone in the US and then have them send it to me? Will there be customs? I have tried researching the customs but get mixed information some saying there might be a fee and some saying there is no charge for computer products.

Suggestions?

Looks like you need to (let it) bring it from the US.

Just read an article that MS in the beginning not even intended to bring it to Europe.

They seem to have changed their mind.

Expected in Germany for Jan/Feb 2016 ("earlier" in UK).

So good luck buying it in Thailand right now.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ouch. I did some googling. Pricey.

Compared to my SP3, similarily configured, the SB runs about $1000 more. My SP3 has 8GB memory, the SB is 16GB, but memory is cheap.

So I guess the question becomes, is the keyboard dock worth $1000?

Bigger question, is the i7 in the SB dual or quad core? The SP3 is dual core.

Ouch. I did some googling. Pricey.

Compared to my SP3, similarily configured, the SB runs about $1000 more. My SP3 has 8GB memory, the SB is 16GB, but memory is cheap.

So I guess the question becomes, is the keyboard dock worth $1000?

Bigger question, is the i7 in the SB dual or quad core? The SP3 is dual core.

Pricey....

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000

Surface Book has a dedicated GPU which is the main thing that I'm excited about. Also the one negative about my surface pro is that typing is a pain even with the typset cover. Lap typing is basically out of the question. The full-form detachable keyboard will basically solve that and give me everything I want.

So it is indeed pricey, but the dGPU and keyboard will mean I'll keep it for a long long time...

Not to mention it's sexy as if not sexier than a Macbook Pro.

Surface Book has a dedicated GPU which is the main thing that I'm excited about.

From the Microsoft Surface Book link above, it appears the $1499 and $1699 models do not have a discrete GPU, so keep that in mind if that's a feature you're looking for. Only the $1899 and higher priced units indicate "dGPU" on that web page.

Edited by wpcoe

Ipad Pro is coming soon but also very pricey. How about a Sony Tap 11 i5? Great quality machine. Mini HDMI and display ports with great video on your big screen or external monitor

No dedicated GPU, no Skylake, no Windows Hello, and screen not detachable for a real "tablet" experience.

And I would never consider iPad Pro.... It runs iOs... lol that's just a kid's toy tongue.png

Edited by dia1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this and order/have it mailed to me from the US via a forwarding service.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on if there are customs on a new laptop? Thaivisa has a lot of mixed info in older threads. Many say there is no tax or customs on laptops or computer parts and other people say that there is? The model I want is the $2099 version, so if I get hit with a 20% tax or something, that's a huge amount of money and I will probably just pass on it for now.

Anyone had a new laptop sent from overseas recently?

Holy shit what a headache this has been. I spoke to Thai customs and they told me that laptops are indeed exempt from duties, however I would have to pay 7% tax.

I tried using Shipto in order to have a Surface Book sent to me, but BestBuy refuses to ship to a mail forwarded. From what I gather, Microsoft might also reject my order due to this.

It's almost beginning to seem impossible to get this thing to me...

Edited by dia1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get my Surface Book. Actually 2 of them were sent to me back to back so ended up going through customs for them both.

DHL extremely speedy and very helpful, despite all the complaints on this forum about other people getting overcharged, etc. I was charged the 7% VAT exactly and nothing more. Both computers arrived in perfect condition.

Hardest part was finding someone with a high-end unit that was not on a backorder and then further a seller that would ship to Thailand. Most stores such as BestBuy, etc will not ship to Thailand and just about every electronic store in the US has blacklisted ShipTo for frieght forwarding. Had at least 4 orders cancelled on me when they saw I was trying to ship to a ShIpiTo address. BEWARE if you plan on using ShipiTo for this purpose as they do not forewarn you that just about everywhere has blacklisted their addresses. Cancelled and demanded a refund.

Ended up going with a seller who was on Amazon. Paid a little bit of premium, but it turns out that it was a whole lot cheaper using them than trying to have stuff forwarded.

VERY pleased with the Surface Book so far. Awesome machine and so lightweight. An amazing piece of technology.

Hey dia1, I'm really into the surface book myself and would like to try what you did. Can you give some more details? Which seller did you choose in Amazon? I see some sellers already include 7% tax and shipping cost. Are you saying you need to add 7% more when the surface book arrives here? DHL delivers straight to your house right? Why the need to go to customs?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to get this machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit what a headache this has been. I spoke to Thai customs and they told me that laptops are indeed exempt from duties, however I would have to pay 7% tax.

I tried using Shipto in order to have a Surface Book sent to me, but BestBuy refuses to ship to a mail forwarded. From what I gather, Microsoft might also reject my order due to this.

It's almost beginning to seem impossible to get this thing to me...

Yes obviously you will have to pay VAT 7%, also if you buy in the shop...

One tip, always ship DHL DDP (delivery/duty paid). In that way the customsd have to deal with DHL and cant ask for "tea money". I imported some electronics before and got totally screwed by Thai post staff.... they said pay or we confiscate. no discussion. DDP means you pay what the law says, they cant screw like this with DHL.

Edited by schietkop

Hey dia1, I'm really into the surface book myself and would like to try what you did. Can you give some more details? Which seller did you choose in Amazon? I see some sellers already include 7% tax and shipping cost. Are you saying you need to add 7% more when the surface book arrives here? DHL delivers straight to your house right? Why the need to go to customs?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to get this machine.

If the goods arrive at the Thai border, you WILL have to go through customs.... if you did not ship DDP, it means DHL will contact you to pay the customs direct, yourself, and goodluck! So, ship DDP, its the best way to not get screwed. I import lots so I know. You cannot get around 7% VAT unless you are a Thai registered company, then you can claim it back.

Edited by schietkop

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

Today I have been in Tucom Pattaya. I was looking for the Surface Book it was not available only the Surface Pro 4.

Does someone know where I can get it in a local shop? Maybe Bangkok Pantip Plaza?

Thanks to all.

• 1 year later...

Apparently there are no Surface Books for sale in Bangkok.  You can order one from the Microsoft Store but I don't know about the shipping and import duty.  I'd like to buy one too.  If you order one, please post your experience.  The machines in the advert posted above are Surface Pros, not Surface Books.