Friend's daughters expired Thai passport stamped at immigration on entry

Hi, A friend of mine's Thai wife and dual nationality daughter arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport last Thursday morning. At immigration the officer stamped the entry on the out of date Thai passport (even though there was a in date British passport there too). The holiday was booked using the British passport of the daughter, so my question is do you think she can leave the country by presenting the British passport? (bearing in mind there is no entry stamp in it) or can she still show the out of date Thai passport with the stamp?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I would check with immigration to avoid any last minute snafu's.

If they notice she's trying to travel on an out of date passport they might refuse to let her go.

And I doubt she'll be about to exit the country on a foreign passport with no entry stamp.

Either (1) maybe they can transfer the entry to the British passport, or (2) maybe you have to get a new Thai one.

But why wait until the last minute to find out?

• Like 1

we have a mutual friend in bkk he is going to take them to the british embassy to see what can be done, regarding getting a new one It's not going to happen in 2 weeks bc my friend is disabled and so hasn't gone to Thai with his wife and daughter. His wife has already tried to re new the old passport but they said both parents need to be there....so a new Thai passport isn't going to happen anyway. Ok thanks for the suggestions hopefully they will get it sorted soon :)

1) She should get a new Thai passport!

Takes no more than a week (I hope she has a valid Thai ID card, otherwise this is step 0 at the district office).

Where does she stay currently?

In case of need, in Bangkok (Chaengwattana) she can get the passport in one day for quite a price (3000?).

2) When leaving she should show her UK passport at the airline check-in counter.

The airline does not check for Thai stamps/visa on exiting, Just has to check that she can enter UK.

If questions arise she should show old and new Thai passport.

3) At Thai immigration (exit) she should show her new Thai passport.

The expired passport should be at hand just in case (though I think its not relevant).

Don't show the foreign passport without being requested.

1) and 2) is no problem to be expected.

3): as fas as I know the the immigration officer will not check for a UK visa in her Thai passport. Not his business.

Responsibility of the airline.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hi thanks for the replies....@ KhunBENQ can my friends wife get her daughters passport with only herself being there? She got the impression that her husband or at least his passport was needed (his passport expired too) She along with the immigration at entry have got her in a right mess lol...no time to enjoy their holiday yet. Also don't you think the immigration should take some responsibility as they stamped an out of date passport in the first place. They are currently staying in BKK but they want to go up country to see family as soon as :)

I will pass this info on to her anyway

Many thanks

Nick

Also don't you think the immigration should take some responsibility as they stamped an out of date passport in the first place.

No, Thais can ENTER Thailand also on an expired passport. So no one to blame on that.

What would surprise me, if she could LEAVE Thailand on an expired passport.

@ KhunBENQ can my friends wife get her daughters passport with only herself being there? She got the impression that her husband or at least his passport was needed (his passport expired too)

This I can not answer for sure.

Just now realize that the daughter seems to be a minor (not 20 years old)?

Maybe a letter of attorney (translated) could work?

If I find something I will post here,

Is the daughter 15 years or older?

See here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/516878-renewal-of-thai-passport-for-daughter/#entry4893898

Complicated matter.

I can only guess that it will work with the mother only.

This thread should be moved!

Edited by KhunBENQ

The real issue behind is, and so far nobody pointed that out, you can have passports from 2 countries but you can't legally have dual citizenship as a Thai (adult). Thus the basic rule when you have 2 or more passports, use always the one from the country you are entering or leaving. Thailand - Thai passport, UK - British passport. Never mix!

In this case it is a good thing that she entered on the Thai passport. Apply for a new one and all is solved. And as written already, for the airline show the British one, otherwise they require a visa.

Edited by MadMac

In this case it is a good thing that she entered on the Thai passport. Apply for a new one and all is solved.

As I and others already stated.

But now this seems complicated by the fact that the daughter is a minor and not both parents are with her.

I was required to be present at all 3 of my sons passport applications, that is both parents present. That was at HK consulate.

edit ~ he is a minor

Was this for first time application? or renewal as the rules may be less for a renewal.

This is not an issue for Thai immigration as she is not an immigrant, she is a Thai Citizen.

Best get down to the Thai passport office and sort out what you need.

Hi yes she is a minor (9 years old) and yes you can have dual citizenship, The sticking point is they are only on holiday for 3 weeks of which one week is almost up already. I personally phoned the Thai Embassy in London and what they told me wouldn't get done in 6 weeks never mind 2 weeks. They said her husband would have to get a doctors note stating why he cant be there....also he would have to sign a statement (written in Thai) stating that he was happy to let his daughter go to Thailand with her mum only.......this would then have to be signed by a solicitor and then sent off to another place (I forget where now)...they would then have to sign it to say all is good.....then they send it back to the husband.......who would then have to take it to the Thai embassy in london for them to verify it and send it away to Thailand (he is bed bound so impossible for him to take it anyway.So you can see what a simple error has so far ruined a holiday and my mates rest bite. We are hoping that immigration can do something for her as it was they who stamped the passport. I await more news from them.

Oh I forgot to say ...he would need to renew his passport too and send this along with the other docs.

Edited by nickynalack

I was required to be present at all 3 of my sons passport applications, that is both parents present. That was at HK consulate.

edit ~ he is a minor

Was this for first time application? or renewal as the rules may be less for a renewal.

This is not an issue for Thai immigration as she is not an immigrant, she is a Thai Citizen.

Best get down to the Thai passport office and sort out what you need.

It was first time application and the second and third renewal . They only issue a 5 year passport to minors. We have had the same officer in all cases. They also coduct a bit of an interview with questions about school and so on . On the last application my wife went alone with my passport but they would not accept that and I had to take a day off from work to be present.

Hi yes she is a minor (9 years old) and yes you can have dual citizenship, The sticking point is they are only on holiday for 3 weeks of which one week is almost up already. I personally phoned the Thai Embassy in London and what they told me wouldn't get done in 6 weeks never mind 2 weeks. They said her husband would have to get a doctors note stating why he cant be there....also he would have to sign a statement (written in Thai) stating that he was happy to let his daughter go to Thailand with her mum only.......this would then have to be signed by a solicitor and then sent off to another place (I forget where now)...they would then have to sign it to say all is good.....then they send it back to the husband.......who would then have to take it to the Thai embassy in london for them to verify it and send it away to Thailand (he is bed bound so impossible for him to take it anyway.So you can see what a simple error has so far ruined a holiday and my mates rest bite. We are hoping that immigration can do something for her as it was they who stamped the passport. I await more news from them.

Oh I forgot to say ...he would need to renew his passport too and send this along with the other docs.

That passports can be issued in Thailand in 3 days and takes about 20 minutes to process at the registereed passport offices. No appointments necessary.

Standard passport costs 1000 baht plus 60 baht for express post. My wife and daughter applied for theirs last Thursday and it was delivered by express mail on the Saturday morning.

Dunno why you are calling london - Thai passports are issued here.

As said, you just need both parents to be present unless one has sole custody.

• Like 2

I am 99% sure that as she entered Thailand on a Thai passport, she has to leave on a Thai passport. If she tries to leave on her British on then immigration will want to know why there is no entry stamp in it. Could take a long time satisfying them.

Your friend should have done one of two things:

1. Renewed her Thai passport in the UK before the trip; or
  2. Used her British passport to enter Thailand, keeping the expired Thai one out of sight. This is perfectly acceptable, but she would be treated as British rather than Thai for Thai immigration purposes.

Wont help him, but might be useful for others reading this.

As others have said, obtaining a new Thai passport for her is simple and quick.

The RTE in London may have told him up to 6 weeks, but that is if one applies there; applications are sent to Thailand and the new passports then sent to the embassy for collection/forwarding.

But they're not in the UK, she's not applying in London. They're in Thailand, where the whole process is a lot quicker.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

That passports can be issued in Thailand in 3 days and takes about 20 minutes to process at the registereed passport offices. No appointments necessary.

Standard passport costs 1000 baht plus 60 baht for express post. My wife and daughter applied for theirs last Thursday and it was delivered by express mail on the Saturday morning.

Both parents aren't there, this is why it is complicated. His wife already tried to re-new the passport the day after they arrived and they said both parents need to be there. She is meeting our mutual friend tomorrow who is taking her to meet a legal advisor who he has used before so we have to wait and see what the outcome is :)

...also he would have to sign a statement (written in Thai) stating that he was happy to let his daughter go to Thailand with her mum only...

It did occur to me that it might be quicker to claim rather that his daughter had been abducted! However, such an illegal claim would cause further trouble in the long term.

The RTE in London may have told him up to 6 weeks, but that is if one applies there; applications are sent to Thailand and the new passports then sent to the embassy for collection/forwarding.

But they're not in the UK, she's not applying in London. They're in Thailand, where the whole process is a lot quicker.

Please explain what is simple and quick about getting the passportless bed-ridden father or a suitable paper substitute from Britain to Thailand in order to make the passport application.

Both parents aren't there, this is why it is complicated. His wife already tried to re-new the passport the day after they arrived and they said both parents need to be there. She is meeting our mutual friend tomorrow who is taking her to meet a legal advisor who he has used before so we have to wait and see what the outcome is :)

Power of attorney forms in Thailand are pretty common. The passport office should be able to provide the forms and the proceedure to get the permission of a parent who can't attend. But you will need his signature, short of a court order stating the mum has sole custody or verification he is unable to sign.

Suspect it will be similar to the process the embassy in London describes, without the need to actually involve the embassy themselves. It shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

we have a mutual friend in bkk he is going to take them to the british embassy to see what can be done, regarding getting a new one It's not going to happen in 2 weeks bc my friend is disabled and so hasn't gone to Thai with his wife and daughter. His wife has already tried to re new the old passport but they said both parents need to be there....so a new Thai passport isn't going to happen anyway. Ok thanks for the suggestions hopefully they will get it sorted soon smile.png

seems two posters on here are wrong

If one parent can not be there a notarized letter will do .

Applicants under the age of 15

• Rules for applicants under the age of 15
    • Applicants under the age of 15 must be accompanied by parents or a legal guardian.

If parents cannot appear, at least one parent must accompany the child when

applying for an e- passport.

• IN BANGKOK
  • - Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent must accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport. The other parent can appear and sign the parental consent form when he/she picks-up the e-Passport.

or

- One parent must accompany the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

OUTSIDE BANGKOK

Passport applications submitted outside of Bangkok

- Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent accompanies the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

Applicants between the ages of 15-20

• Rules for applicants between the ages of 15-20
    • Applicants between the ages of 15-20 are not required to be accompanied by their parents

when applying for an e-Passport. However, both parents are required to sign the parental

consent from in front of the Passport Office’s authorized personnel otherwise the applicant

has to submit a notarized parental consent letter signed by parents or a legal guardian.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

So have the parent back in the UK send the letter FAST

takes less than a week and it will only require one visit to the passport office an than it will be ems;'d to you

If she entered on thai passport, she needs get a new one an exit on that one.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

Please explain what is simple and quick about getting the passportless bed-ridden father or a suitable paper substitute from Britain to Thailand in order to make the passport application.

Read what I posted again.

I was commenting on the time differences between renewing a Thai passport via the RTE in London and renewing one in Thailand. I said it would be quicker to renew a Thai passport in Thailand than in London; which it is. I didn't use the word 'simple' at all!

Those who know far more about this than I, and probably you, have already advised; such as the post above.

The real issue behind is, and so far nobody pointed that out, you can have passports from 2 countries but you can't legally have dual citizenship as a Thai (adult). Thus the basic rule when you have 2 or more passports, use always the one from the country you are entering or leaving. Thailand - Thai passport, UK - British passport. Never mix!

In this case it is a good thing that she entered on the Thai passport. Apply for a new one and all is solved. And as written already, for the airline show the British one, otherwise they require a visa.

... you can't legally have dual citizenship as a Thai (adult).

This is incorrect. Thailand does allow dual citizenship.

we have a mutual friend in bkk he is going to take them to the british embassy to see what can be done, regarding getting a new one It's not going to happen in 2 weeks bc my friend is disabled and so hasn't gone to Thai with his wife and daughter. His wife has already tried to re new the old passport but they said both parents need to be there....so a new Thai passport isn't going to happen anyway. Ok thanks for the suggestions hopefully they will get it sorted soon smile.png

seems two posters on here are wrong

If one parent can not be there a notarized letter will do .

Applicants under the age of 15

• Rules for applicants under the age of 15
    • Applicants under the age of 15 must be accompanied by parents or a legal guardian.

If parents cannot appear, at least one parent must accompany the child when

applying for an e- passport.

• IN BANGKOK
  • - Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent must accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport. The other parent can appear and sign the parental consent form when he/she picks-up the e-Passport.

or

- One parent must accompany the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

OUTSIDE BANGKOK

Passport applications submitted outside of Bangkok

- Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent accompanies the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

Applicants between the ages of 15-20

• Rules for applicants between the ages of 15-20
    • Applicants between the ages of 15-20 are not required to be accompanied by their parents

when applying for an e-Passport. However, both parents are required to sign the parental

consent from in front of the Passport Office’s authorized personnel otherwise the applicant

has to submit a notarized parental consent letter signed by parents or a legal guardian.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

So have the parent back in the UK send the letter FAST

takes less than a week and it will only require one visit to the passport office an than it will be ems;'d to you

If she entered on thai passport, she needs get a new one an exit on that one.

Thanks for the valuable info phucketrichard, my wife showed me the consent form in Thai on the internet, so I will print it out , fill in the gaps with relevant name and get my mate to sign it when I go to visit him on Saturday morning. So in your opinion this is all that will be needed?...as long as he signs it this will be ok? no other documents needed?

Thanks

Nick