My Project - House and Garden

I have a bungalow design with a high roof that helps keep the hour cooler. Orientation is the most important thing in having a cool house. You want the sun to traverse the long axis of the house (e.g. mainly shining on the roof) rather than striking the walls (apart from early morning and late evening).

post-239512-0-97440900-1465098781_thumb.

post-239512-0-66892300-1465098822_thumb.

post-239512-0-18451000-1465098919_thumb.

House Concept Plan.docx

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite an impressive size Stevemercer,

I really don't want to go that big but the roof high and a huge overstand will do the same effect.

I see you also got a bit of land around (my plot is in total 5.5 rai) and I want to make this winter the surrounding wall first.

I have been looking for all alternatives but it seems nothing can beat the price of a conctete wall, as I need about 400m of it.

My other choice were these 3x8 (or so) red Bricks. I thought it makes it looking a bit more posh but on 400m it looks not good at all.

I have seen a brick wall that size in south Thailand and sure concrete is looking "cleaner".

Rockswalls are the top but the price to pay, pfft!

Evtl some concrete rocks but I haven't found a supplier last time at home. Also a quarry that produces these square blocks from natural rocks I was looking for.

We have 4.8 rai, with a well built concrete fence. It is 2 metres high where we have neighbours and 1 metre (plus 1 metre barbed wire) where we neighbour rice paddies. Remember you can get it rendered and painted (maybe two toned) to blend in more. I've planted saplings around the boundary which, over time, will help make the boundary look more natural. But it is a lot of work with constant watering in the dry season and battling the insects all year round.

Growing trees is one of the few ways you can improve the value and desirability of your land in a rural setting. A block with some nice shade trees can always be sold at a fair price.

To 'rocketboybkk', I'm not sure if your question is directed to the OP or me (re the photos above). Our land (4.8 Rai) was 1 million Baht nearly 3 years ago. The location is in the township of Kosum Phisai, near Mahasarakham/Khon Kaen in Isan (domestic power, water, optic fibre internet etc), . The house cost 2.1 million Baht inclusive with 'A spec' materials, including granite floors, all fittings, garage, driveway, concrete parking areas etc. The house is about 200 square metres, plus 80 square metres covered front veranda.

Rocketboybkk

I case you mean my turf,

it is 5.5 rai, I digged a 3000sqm pond, creek and and small 500sqm pond into it.

It is in Tapong near ban Phe right in the Mountain.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.6541411,101.4099176,206m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=de

But that area ain't for sale anymore.

I bought it from the uncle of my wife for 300k per rai 2015 and the last offer is 2.2 mil per rai last month (as people noticed a farang moved there many buyers came.)

But the entire plot of 20 rai will be shared by my wife and me, 2 brothers and one sister and 12 rai are planned for an aquaponic farm as family business.

The uncle has about 500 rai everywhere from Pattaya to Korat and is not in need to sell.

All offers from land speculants have been nicely thrown off..

In Ban Phe itself the land owner/sellers are going menthal and asking from 7.5 mill to 20 mill per rai depends how close to the beach...

They're both great

I had a house build in pattaya but sold it as my tenant was a pain

I'm interested to buy & build again

Not interested in heavily priced land because thia people think they can swindle farang!

I'm in no rush as I'm only early 40's

Still got to work in UK for future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are still spots that are fair price but all areas at the beach or close to it... just forget that Thailand 15 Yars ago.

I left Pattaya after 13 Years, nothing is the same there anymore. Too many scumbacks Thai as Farangs came.

Many Farangs moaning about the new Military Government as they are not anymore welcoming these Farangs with a "bribe your way to wealth" thinking.

Who comes with good income into the country, sticks to the rules is still welcome.

From my Point of view, the Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-o-cha does an exellent cleaning job for Thailand, but it is also a very hard Job as too long the Crime, Corruption has been eating the Charm of Thailand. (Just Compare what happen to the weak Governments in Europe, the countries getting overrun by scums!)

I am now since 13 years here and it is delightening to see the work of General Chan-o-cha, even the Land prices exploding.

It is a bit of his success that now only the wealthy Farangs can effort to live in Thailand, and in mind Thailand for the Thais, why the Land owner should not have a slice of the cake from the rich man that marries a Thai woman and wants a life with her?

The Farang benefits from the new Government as they provide more safety, slowly, but as the saying "Rome hasn't been built in one day."

Forget Pattaya and check out the life in real Thailand, Pattaya is not Thailand anymore and if you are a nice bloke the Thais will be nice to you and offer you a good turf for living to a fair price.

The lake and dirt movement my uncle made

and he was working hard for many weeks, I have no work permit and was feeling ashamed that I could not give him a hand.

But all he did was making my and my wife's dream come through and brought us as family much more closer together.

good luck mate, you will find a nice spot without getting ripped off.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

after a few month on this ship with lots of weather days I had time to draw plans and delete, listen to the wishes of my wife, which includes a Rainforest, with edible plants (of cause), hearing feng shui doubts of my wifes autie and granny and scrolled through the forums.. The whole drawing is getting more detailed and the house has moved for the sake of luck and ghosts.

The August weather here in the North Sea puts me some greenies in my nose and I smell even through them, that is not the final decision. 

Struggles coming still up with the 420m wall.

I think about concrete and to make it looking more natural I am thinking of glue/nail some 1 - 1.5" twigs to get some kinda rockshape in the mold and so make the concrete wall looking natural and urban.. 

Any suggestions. Is brick cheaper or is it concrete where the wall puts an 800k Baht in the expense books? 

Sweety's Paradise with Description.png

Go for a 2 metre high concrete block wall near the house area or where privacy is a concern. Go for one metre high wall (with 2 metre concrete piles and barbed wire for the top metre) for the rest of the property. A properly constructed concrete wall will last for decades with minimum or no maintenance needed.

The price should include rendering and painting in the colours of your choice. You can choose a colour to help blend in the wall. Over time, trees and shrubs will grow near, and over, the wall so it will eventually 'disappear'.

It's a big upfront capital expense, but for the sort of plans you have I don't think you should stint. We have a two metre high concrete block wall (painted a muted earth tone) just 3 or 4 metres from our house along one side. It looks quite nice with the lawn, shrubs and trees between the house and wall providing a cozy nook. Beyond the fence is a wilderness of grass, shrubs and chickens which is blocked from view.

Archived