Is the new multi entry visa good for us offshore workers?

Namplik

For me personally it will be I guess, because I spend my time about 50/50 in Thailand/home country working. 3 weeks in the homeland and 3 weeks in Thailand. And I am under 50 and not married...

What about you guys? Positive or negative about the new multi entry 6 months tourist visa?

There have been lots of different comments about the new METV. I work in SE Asia and return to Thailand each month for about 1-2 weeks. I don't work in Thailand, not married to a Thai, and don't qualify for a retirement visa. Am I reading the information correctly that you can only get the METV from your home country? So this would mean I would have to return to Austrailia? Currently I use double entry visas.

There have been lots of different comments about the new METV. I work in SE Asia and return to Thailand each month for about 1-2 weeks. I don't work in Thailand, not married to a Thai, and don't qualify for a retirement visa. Am I reading the information correctly that you can only get the METV from your home country? So this would mean I would have to return to Austrailia? Currently I use double entry visas.

Not only would you need to return, but theres jungle drums that double (or triples but those mostly gone anyway) will not be offered any longer in SE asia / non home country.

A single being a one and done so barely useful at all, this means trips to 'home country' every 6 - 9 months depending on work cycle to stay on these.

Really if you live here the cost of the elite card just becomes the only way to 'easily' keep doing this.

Why not just have the new merv but you can obtain a new one anywhere outside of Thailand but CANNOT ENTER LOS for say 15 days after last exit on previous metv

That would make it very hard for people working los illegally.

For you yes, as you go to your home country.

Not for those who use Thailand as a base, and work in countries foreign to them.

That is indeed true.

That's why I suggested any new METV should be available at any consulate outside of Thailand , with a period in between issue of subsequent visa.

Would not cause the legit cases and problems. Off shore workers are classic example.

I am in a similar situation working in the Drilling Industry, as finally a immigration official has requested entry by visa only. After 4 years of visa exempt entry to Thailand it was noted on computer at immigration that I will be denied entry to Thailand without a visa. I don't see how this new visa will make it much easier for me as have to apply for it overseas. For all the hassles and inconvenience I have just applied for an Elite Visa.

I am in a similar situation working in the Drilling Industry, as finally a immigration official has requested entry by visa only. After 4 years of visa exempt entry to Thailand it was noted on computer at immigration that I will be denied entry to Thailand without a visa. I don't see how this new visa will make it much easier for me as have to apply for it overseas. For all the hassles and inconvenience I have just applied for an Elite Visa.

There is no legal limit on visa exempt entries.

If you arrive with a min. of 20,000 Bht cash (or equivalent) , evidence of overseas employment and , if possible, a booked flight out of the country all the boxes will be ticked.

The IO's are looking for those suspected of illegal working and those without demonstrable financial capacity.

Refusal of entry at an airport is very rare and must be in accord with the law.

I do realise that there isn't a limit on visa exempt entries. I explained this to immigration and was told that it was her decision and she being an immigration official will make her own decisions regarding this situation. It's noted on computer which I can't change and I really can't be bothered arguing or contesting this so being under 50 and not married I lucky enough to be in a situation where paying for an Elite Visa is the way to go for me.

I do realise that there isn't a limit on visa exempt entries. I explained this to immigration and was told that it was her decision and she being an immigration official will make her own decisions regarding this situation. It's noted on computer which I can't change and I really can't be bothered arguing or contesting this so being under 50 and not married I lucky enough to be in a situation where paying for an Elite Visa is the way to go for me.

In that situation I would invite the IO to deny entry. She must have legal reason to do so.

Immediate notification of appeal against an illegal refusal is possible.

Has the big "off shore worker" been scared by a lady puffing smoke ?

Once your "legitimacy" for frequent use of visa exempt entries is established it is unlikely that you would be questioned again.

In that situation I would invite the IO to deny entry. She must have legal reason to do so.

Once your "legitimacy" for frequent use of visa exempt entries is established it is unlikely that you would be questioned again.

Puff of smoke? "Big offshore worker"Seriously get a life. There are more than a few reasons why this Elite visa will work well for me which I won't go into. It's good for me and if you you were in a similar situation and want to contest it that entirely up to you. I made my decision far as I am concerned I have 5 years hassle free in Thailand if I am working or not.

Puff of smoke? "Big offshore worker"Seriously get a life. There are more than a few reasons why this Elite visa will work well for me which I won't go into. It's good for me and if you you were in a similar situation and want to contest it that entirely up to you. I made my decision far as I am concerned I have 5 years hassle free in Thailand if I am working or not.

You misunderstand !

The Elite visa is the ideal solution for those scared by lady IO's blowing smoke !

I think your missing my point. Elite visa is also convenient for those who can afford it, for people who don't want to do border runs or fly overseas to obtain a visa which includes paying for flights and hotels while your doing it and long staying in Thailand if I don't chooses to continue working offshore. With all the travelling I do, the less time I spend in an airport the happier I am. Express through customs, limousine/ fancy taxi service to my apartment all work well for me. The cost of the elite visa although quite pricey and not ideal for alot of people, the cost is no issue for me. Your opinion obviously suits your situation.

You misunderstand !

The Elite visa is the ideal solution for those scared by lady IO's blowing smoke !

There's only one respondent here blowing anything and it sure aint rideroz....

There is no legal limit on visa exempt entries.

If you arrive with a min. of 20,000 Bht cash (or equivalent) , evidence of overseas employment and , if possible, a booked flight out of the country all the boxes will be ticked.

The IO's are looking for those suspected of illegal working and those without demonstrable financial capacity.

Refusal of entry at an airport is very rare and must be in accord with the law.

I was also told at airport 4 or 5 months ago i would not be aloud back in on a visa exempt after 6 year of 4 weeks on on 4 off.have got a non o from hull now but why do you have to still fill in exempt card

It's not an 'exempt card', it's a entry/exit card and everyone has to fill them in, visa exempt and otherwise. Even Thai passport holders departing overseas have to fill them in.

I think your missing my point. Elite visa is also convenient for those who can afford it, for people who don't want to do border runs or fly overseas to obtain a visa which includes paying for flights and hotels while your doing it and long staying in Thailand if I don't chooses to continue working offshore. With all the travelling I do, the less time I spend in an airport the happier I am. Express through customs, limousine/ fancy taxi service to my apartment all work well for me. The cost of the elite visa although quite pricey and not ideal for alot of people, the cost is no issue for me. Your opinion obviously suits your situation.

I have the same 5 year visa and can highly recommend it. I should have gotten it earlier.

There is a condo project in Pattaya where you get a 5 or 20 year Elite visa together with the condo purchase, that\s a really good deal for those who plan to live in Pattaya.

• 1 month later...

whistling.gif For most shift workers there will be major problems with the METV.

1. You must obtain it in your HOME country only (or have a residence document in the issuing country as a resident of that country)
  2. Many Thai consulates ask to see a travel itinerary (including pre-booked RETURN air tickets in your name)
  3. Many Thai consulates will also ask for pre-booked hotel reservations for the period of your stay in Thailand.
  4. Many Thai consulates want proof before you will be issued a METV that you have funds to live in Thailand for a 6 month period

Some Thai consulates also require you have proof of a job in Thailand to obtain a METV which is nonsense.

I would say that the new METV is about the worst choice for a visa a shift worker could choose

At least as the requirements are right now.

whistling.gif For most shift workers there will be major problems with the METV.

1. You must obtain it in your HOME country only (or have a residence document in the issuing country as a resident of that country)
  2. Many Thai consulates ask to see a travel itinerary (including pre-booked RETURN air tickets in your name)
  3. Many Thai consulates will also ask for pre-booked hotel reservations for the period of your stay in Thailand.
  4. Many Thai consulates want proof before you will be issued a METV that you have funds to live in Thailand for a 6 month period

Some Thai consulates also require you have proof of a job in Thailand to obtain a METV which is nonsense.

I would say that the new METV is about the worst choice for a visa a shift worker could choose

At least as the requirements are right now.

Totally incorrect !! Some are asking for proof of employment in your home country, NONE are asking for proof of employment in Thailand.

Archived