Military Check Points

basjke

This weekend I did the trip from pattaya to ubon ratchatani.I noticed that between Nakon Ratchasima and Surin there was about every 30 kilometers a check point manned with several police officers and heavily armed soldiers.About 15 person per check point.This occured on both access roads,N 226 and N24/A1 and during night and daytime.Also between Surin and Sisaket there was police with radio in the hand present at almost every crossroad.However I didn't get stopped I saw that minivans were ordered aside and saw at one point that they seemed to get a paper which they had to fill in.First I thought it would be a security for a high ranked person who had to pass but it happened saturday night and on my way back sunday they were still at present.Also was I passed in Surin center by a police pick-up with sirenes on and followed by 5 military minivans.At the next check point they were parked and the soldiers in battle dress were taking pictures.Other then between Korat and Surin there were no check points.Does somebody has an idea what this was all about?

why do u "need" to know? :o

sorry,only wondering as it happened only between these 2 point and its far from bangkok.Never mentioned i NEEDED to know.

edited for spelling error

Edited by basjke

sorry,only wondering as it happened only between these 2 point and its far from bangkok.Never mentioned i NEEDED to know.

have you not seen police checkpoints before?? or are you thinking this has to do with the prime minister getting the boot, and why in the world are you sorry for?? :D

have you not seen police checkpoints before?? or are you thinking this has to do with the prime minister getting the boot, and why in the world are you sorry for?? :D

I was sorry that by reading you reply it seemed that I offended someone with my answer and yes I have seen hundreds of police ckeckpoints before but never with 10 to 15 heavily armed soldiers at present.

answer must read question

Edited by basjke

In a good mood tonight, aren't we? What's the matter, got nothing else to do but give khun Basjke a hard time?

Take a pill and calm down.

In a good mood tonight, aren't we? What's the matter, got nothing else to do but give khun Basjke a hard time?

thank you for setting me striaght i've taken that pill and now am calm :D

Good man!

CymruAmByth, who's the good man?

Guys, it's not necessary to quote everything before simple resplies. If you do need to quote something, and use the quote button, please consider "editing" the nested junk that you quote, so that your post only contains the part that you are referring to! :o

Guys, it's not necessary to quote everything before simple resplies. If you do need to quote something, and use the quote button, please consider "editing" the nested junk that you quote, so that your post only contains the part that you are referring to! :o

Jeez...another one in a bad mood!

Interestingly, I have never seen the words 'nested' and 'junk' next to each other before. Explain to us what that is please and I promise to avoid it next time so as not to irritate you so much.

Good man!

I think he means when you do this ......

Guys, it's not necessary to quote everything before simple resplies. If you do need to quote something, and use the quote button, please consider "editing" the nested junk that you quote, so that your post only contains the part that you are referring to! :D

Jeez...another one in a bad mood!

Interestingly, I have never seen the words 'nested' and 'junk' next to each other before. Explain to us what that is please and I promise to avoid it next time so as not to irritate you so much.

Thanks, jdinasia, that is exactly what I had in mind. I should have used an example, as you did.

CymruAmByth, I used the wrong emoticon, sorry. Meant to use the laughing one, not the screaming one! :o

But it does get tiresome having to scroll past unnecessarily quoted text in post after post....

The answer to the original question is there is great concern that upcountry power brokers, in the TRT's pocket, are paying the 'farmers" to form a caravan to demonstrate in Bangkok against the coup. In order to head this off, checkpoints have been established along routes into Bangkok from the North/Northeast.

This has been reported in English papers several times

TH

In the north all that I have seen is that the same checkpoints that have always been there and have been staffed with police are now being staffed by soldiers.....different uniforms...different weapons....same routine.

I would say that this is being done mostly to show that the new gov't is firmly in control and this is mostly being used as a deterent.....if disgruntles people see a strong presence then they are less likely to even think about causing problems.

Chownah

Thanks for that advice, I think it helps the OP a lot on answering his question.

Guys, it's not necessary to quote everything before simple resplies. If you do need to quote something, and use the quote button, please consider "editing" the nested junk that you quote, so that your post only contains the part that you are referring to! :D

:o

Its just the way the system works you hit reply and it creates all the nested junk.

You should post this in the support forum if you want something done about it , otherwise your going to have to teach 35,000 individuals :D

Cheers

Further to the OP, I was on the train from Nong Khai to Khon Kaen on friday 29.9.06 and armed police officers were patroling up and down the carriages all the time. They checked ID of all the Thais but did not ask for my 'farang' passport. One policeman asked my girlfriend where she was going and she told him Khon Kaen, he did not ask any further questions. I noticed that the people who were traveling on to Bangkok on the train were questioned further, two or three young 'lads' who got on the train at Udon Thani were checked several times by different officers during the journey to Khon Kaen. I would say that the "Powers that Be" are indeed aware that any trouble that may be forthcoming will be from the northeast and north of the country and they are determined to make sure that they prevent it.

I would say that this is being done mostly to show that the new gov't is firmly in control and this is mostly being used as a deterent.....if disgruntles people see a strong presence then they are less likely to even think about causing problems.

Chownah

Staying on topic, it is most likely that in addition to a deterrent, they are actively trying to minimize the movement of troublemakers. According to various news reports, there are a lot of disgruntled people skulking around.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/011006_Perspect...006_pers008.php

"In other news, five schools in three districts of Kamphaeng Phet province were torched almost simultaneously early Wednesday morning, prompting a security beef-up. Kamphaeng Phet is a political stronghold of the Thai Rak Thai party, which had captured all five House seats there. Since the coup, some former MPs have not reported themselves to the Third Army, as instructed by the CDR."

Wife tells me that is why we see a big military presence at the Phitsanulok airport. :o

I still have no idea what 'nested junk' means . . .

Possibly the military steps up it's presence in areas where there have been occurences - but let's not forget that there are still restrictions on news, so there may be a lot more happening than we read about.

The answer to the original question is there is great concern that upcountry power brokers, in the TRT's pocket, are paying the 'farmers" to form a caravan to demonstrate in Bangkok against the coup. In order to head this off, checkpoints have been established along routes into Bangkok from the North/Northeast.

This has been reported in English papers several times

TH

Thank you mate,at last 1 reply that was about the topic.

Thanks, jdinasia, that is exactly what I had in mind. I should have used an example, as you did.

CymruAmByth, I used the wrong emoticon, sorry. Meant to use the laughing one, not the screaming one! :o

But it does get tiresome having to scroll past unnecessarily quoted text in post after post....

no pompam.

I still have no idea what 'nested junk' means . . .

quote2

quote1

end of quote1

end of quote2

quote1 is nested inside of quote2 - most likely quote1 is "junk" if the reply refers to quote2. :D

Suggested reading:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...;hl=quoted+text

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...;hl=quoted+text

no pompam.

Did a search to find a definition of pompam:

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?p=3282508

POMPAM - People Owning Many Planets And Moons :o

You should post this in the support forum if you want something done about it , otherwise your going to have to teach 35,000 individuals

Good point.

Ok, no back to the topic.... :D

What needs to be said is this!!! Let the Military and Police do what they need to do, Their JOBS!!! as long as you have no problem if stopped at a checkpoint then so be it. I love how people need to know EVERYTHING. If You Like to know or NEED to know, Go ask the Soldiers and Police manning the checkpoint. I'm sure they would let you know. :o

What needs to be said is this!!! Let the Military and Police do what they need to do, Their JOBS!!! as long as you have no problem if stopped at a checkpoint then so be it. I love how people need to know EVERYTHING. If You Like to know or NEED to know, Go ask the Soldiers and Police manning the checkpoint. I'm sure they would let you know. :D

listen bub, YOU may not have stated in your question YOU needed to know, but get this you started a thread so there is some reason you want to know this info.

kinda strange if you ask me :D

and in addition to my previous message,for me there is a big difference between need to know and like to know.

There is still a NEED to KNOW, even if you like to know. How long have you been in Thailand?? I'm sure you seen the Military and Police around?? Doing their JOBS!!.

I hope you find out what you LIKE to know. Nuff Said

DL

I am in thailand for 12 years so I think I've seen a bit by the time.If you have such a problem with it if somebody aks a question about somthing unusul he has seen and is querious about what's going on then why are you reading this forum.Do you need to know something?

:D wow bit of time in thailand, unusual?? The Police and Military together at a checkpoint? I don't have a problem, obviously you have the problem. I been to Thailand 5 times and during that time i've seen some things but I didn't want to know what a country I was VISITING was doing.

I even saw one of the Royal Family at a store and the security detail told me to stop filming, I did what I was told. and didn't think twice about it. I was a VISITOR.

I live in the states and since 9/11 I do not question what this government is doing for ME, It according to some people may not be the RIGHT thing!! But I don't question it.

YOU like to know what they were doing?? Why don't you go ask

them!!! :o

DL

Does anyone have an idea what this dragonlad is after.For sure he is taking the p**s out of me by the time.Was I wrong with posting this topic?Would like,not NEED,to know some opinions from other members