Imminently moving to Thailand, looking for a little local advice (Jomtien).

Smudge

As to the Elite Card, and if I wasn't Married or of Retirement Age, this is the way I would go. Unless you like Border Hopping and wonder if they will let you in again when it is time to return. I know many guys here are successful at this, but for the 500,000 Baht I would rather not have this hassle for 5 years.

As to insurance, I found Bupa to be okay for my needs. Different plans to choose from so you can adjust your costs to your needs. They have a office in Pattaya where you can deal with them directly and sign up. If I recall it takes a couple of months before you qualify, so carry some insurance when you come here. But best to check with them online first.

As to finding a Condo, there are many in your price range. Always negotiate for a lower price as it is a renter market out their right now. Keep in mind they will more likely screw you on your damage deposit, so best to find a place you will be happy with for a little while. Determine if you will have transportation as living close to a few places to eat, a quiet cold beer, or even a 7-11, may be more important to you if you won't have a motor bike or car. Being close to the beach may also be important than to.

Perhaps the most important part of finding this place you will call home for awhile is checking this place out at night. That huge quiet balcony that you plan to sit at night time and watch all the city lights over a quiet beer might turn out to have a Sing-a-long Bar across the street, that opens up at 7 pm. So unless you like listening to some Drunk Thai's sing Thai Songs until 4 am every morning you need to check this out first. Bars are everywhere their and all play loud music, so it is difficult to find a quiet place their and why so important to check it out at night time first..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best advise any one could or should give you is to make a short list of places go inspect

those places that look and sound good and go inspect them with your own eyes rather that to

relay on someone's else opinion, as you have the time and the means to do so,

I see many have mentioned this, so...

This was exactly my plan, apologies for not being clear, by asking for recommendations I was looking to reduce the 'short' list considerably! biggrin.png I will be in temporary accommodation till then.

Why does anyone need a ceiling fan if they have good airconditioning? I have noticed in some Pattaya guesthouses that ceiling fans are used because

the owners have fixed the AC so that very little air comes out, presumably to save on their electricity bills.

From my limited experience staying many times over the years I find a ceiling fan is entirely adequate to keep a room cool most of the time. A/C is a backup during peak hot periods. One of my 'indoor' hobbies is computer programming, PCs/Laptops generate a lot of heat A/C can help during my wired sessions which can last hours! coffee1.gif

Perhaps the most important part of finding this place you will call home for awhile is checking this place out at night. That huge quiet balcony that you plan to sit at night time and watch all the city lights over a quiet beer might turn out to have a Sing-a-long Bar across the street, that opens up at 7 pm. So unless you like listening to some Drunk Thai's sing Thai Songs until 4 am every morning you need to check this out first. Bars are everywhere their and all play loud music, so it is difficult to find a quiet place their and why so important to check it out at night time first..

This is perhaps my biggest worry, having stayed in numerous hotels/guest houses over the years and being subjected to the late night chaos I'd like to know that I could get peace and quiet when I want it. wai2.gif

I would recommend checking out the Viewtalay Condo's, 5C & 5D for accommodation.

Both are very quiet with good sized rooms with balconies, starting from 48sqm

and within your price budget. Both have good size swimming pools.

Both are in good locations which is the most important reason for most people,

Thappraya rd which is on the baht taxi route, Dong tan beach, bars, restaurants, 7/11,

are all within a few minutes walk.

Edited by sotsira

The place is absolutely swamped with empty condos for rent! No need to spend even 10,000 baht for something nice! You can get something rather nice in jomtien with swimming pool and gym for 7,000 baht a month ( if not less ) There are so many it's an easy time to snap up a bargain.

F.J wub.png x

Ok, now the big questions/comments that seem to pop up often.

Why oh why Pattaya?!?

Well, why not? Why Bangkok? Why Chang Mai? Why Phuket? Why the remotest parts of Issan? My own reason is because I know Pattaya, it's a good start point. I stay a year initially, if I find I don't like it I move to the next place. I am certainly not locking myself down. I also have friends who go there often who, due to commitments back home don't have the options I have but at least I can meet up with them when they arrive.

Why Thai Elite?!?! what a rip off!

Well, here's my situation and some of my logic. I'll start by quoting myself over a year ago where I said "Elite membership is definately out of the question" so this was not something I took lightly.

As most have ascertained I am only 40 years old, which really does limit my options.

Having been a lurker on the boards over the past year I read endless horror stories of members (sub 50) essentially 'fiddling' the system to help them stay and in many cases ending in disappointment, so yes the Thai Elite seems the easy option till I get to 50 (by that time I may not want to stay in Thailand! laugh.png )

How do I justify the Thai Elite card?

I won't divulge exact figures but I will give you an idea of what I'm getting at, I will focus only on housing the rest is trivial in my opinion. I currently live in the UK and completely disillusioned with the place, I need to get out!

Cost of rent + Council Tax: £500 pcm (approx ฿27,000) UK average is much, much higher.

Lets say for arguments sake I spend £300 pcm (approx ฿16,000) for accommodation when I am in thailand, thats a straight saving of £200 (approx฿11,000)

So...

saving £200 pcm for 12 months = £2400

over 5 years = £12,000 or approx ฿657,000

That's how I am justifying the Thai Elite card

I have not included any other costs of living like electricity, food, clothing, entertainment etc etc. because I already pay for those things in the UK and I am sure I could cut costs there too. As an example I currenly pay £700 for a golf membership in UK, although I have not researched it I'm pretty sure I would be paying nowhere near that in Thailand.

I would be interested in peoples thoughts on my logic regarding my justification of the Thai Elite card as there may be something critical I've missed. Am I being completely naive?

I have considered economic downturns and costs of living escalating, but over 5 years It shouldn't change THAT much surely? tongue.png

Thanks for all the responses thus far!

I would recommend checking out the Viewtalay Condo's, 5C & 5D for accommodation.

Both are very quiet with good sized rooms with balconies, starting from 48sqm

and within your price budget. Both have good size swimming pools.

Both are in good locations which is the most important reason for most people,

Thappraya rd which is on the baht taxi route, Dong tan beach, bars, restaurants, 7/11,

are all within a few minutes walk.

Added to my short list, they sound like they have potential.

Cheers!

Why does anyone need a ceiling fan if they have good airconditioning? I have noticed in some Pattaya guesthouses that ceiling fans are used because

the owners have fixed the AC so that very little air comes out, presumably to save on their electricity bills.

I use two ceiling fans and aircon 24/7, all on the lowest fan setting. This allows for gentle air movement everywhere in my unit (I hate sitting in a wind tunnel) and for a very even temperature everywhere also and no fan noise. Aircon is set to 27/28 degrees, which is just right for reducing humidity without growing any glaciers. Electricity consumption is low with a new inverter unit.

Very interesting post.

From my limited experience staying many times over the years I find a ceiling fan is entirely adequate to keep a room cool most of the time. A/C is a backup during peak hot periods. One of my 'indoor' hobbies is computer programming, PCs/Laptops generate a lot of heat A/C can help during my wired sessions which can last hours! coffee1.gif

That's very interesting, does a ceiling fan work better than an ordinary fan standing on the floor? I have never used a ceiling fan before.

I am staying in Park Lane and it works well for me. Looking at the windows there are lots of

places available. 10-11 k a month including internet and basic cable (in my place anyway)

Personally I love the lagoon pool. As suggested do some research on the Google, book

a hotel for a week. Drive around and stop at places/building/locations that interest you. There

is a huge amount of availability so don't worry. Stop at the buildings, check out the bulletin

boards and check with the juristic person. Lots of notices and phone numbers in the condo

windows. Arrange a viewing and make an offer. A couple of points. Beware of condos (lower

levels) next to bike parking and doorway entrances, they can be noisy. Also before committing

come back at night and stand on the side of the building of the condo you are considering.

You want to make sure there in no loud music/bars pounding out music until 4 am. (apparently

the outside condos on the north side of Park Lane have an issue from the bars of Soi Wat Boon,

on the south side I hear nothing. Good luck with your search. thumbsup.gif

That's very interesting, does a ceiling fan work better than an ordinary fan standing on the floor? I have never used a ceiling fan before.

I'm not an expert in room cooling, but, ceiling fans are generally much larger and the ones I have experienced are usually centrally located over either the bed or a lounge room. At a low setting I find them very pleasant and keep the room at a comfortable temperature.

Standing fans, in my opinion, are very weak and to gain any benefit from them you need to be standing in front of it with your shirt open making like a wind sock!

Usually When I arrive back at accommodation I would put the A/C on for 10-20 mins or so to cool me down then switch to the ceiling fans to maintain it.

Clearly there are many factors that could affect the temperature in any given home, size of rooms, does the sun flood in through the window during the day, amount of electrical appliances generating heat, time of year etc etc.

And of course one persons view of 'hot' or 'cool' is not the same as the next! wink.png

I fully endorse this post about applying for a Retirement Extension, when 50 years old. The Jomtien Immigrationn office is frequently praised here on TVF, and I would recommend this as it seems you would have little difficulty with the financial requirements.

I have recently bought Health Insurance at the Age of 69, and I will PM you the details of a company I found competetive and very helpful.

I too would like to know of insurance cover for 69 year old,especially "being very helpful" at taking the money,just wonder how good they are at giving it out to a 69 year old,unless its AIA, take in 50,000 baht pay out 50 baht

If you are genuinely interested in Health Cover for the elderly I will send you some details, if you PM me.

I am staying in Park Lane and it works well for me. Looking at the windows there are lots of

places available. 10-11 k a month including internet and basic cable (in my place anyway)

Personally I love the lagoon pool. As suggested do some research on the Google, book

a hotel for a week. Drive around and stop at places/building/locations that interest you. There

is a huge amount of availability so don't worry. Stop at the buildings, check out the bulletin

boards and check with the juristic person. Lots of notices and phone numbers in the condo

windows. Arrange a viewing and make an offer. A couple of points. Beware of condos (lower

levels) next to bike parking and doorway entrances, they can be noisy. Also before committing

come back at night and stand on the side of the building of the condo you are considering.

You want to make sure there in no loud music/bars pounding out music until 4 am. (apparently

the outside condos on the north side of Park Lane have an issue from the bars of Soi Wat Boon,

on the south side I hear nothing. Good luck with your search. thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Location and points noted.

I have been here 11 years and resided in virtually every area of Pattaya. I was impressed, primarily with developer ads re Jontiem and moved there 1

year ago. Jontiem is terrible - no cinema, no fast food places, ( none ! ),

no clinics/hospitals/Doctors, shabby,and far from Central Pattaya where

everything many people want is located & everything overpriced because it

is JONTIEM. Cost me a bundle to get in/out but it's worth it to finally be PAROLLED ! P. S. - and now they managed to screw up the beach as well !

What makes Jomtien unique...is that it is not Pattaya with all the noise and mayhem...

There is a doctor and clinic on Jomtien 2nd road just past the corner 7/11...

The 10 baht ride to Pattaya was always interesting...and one could actually walk to Pattaya as I did on more than one occasion...

View Talay 2B is behind View Talay 2A and is a little quieter has a nice pool and is convenient to most everything...should be able to get a nice condo in your price range...

Enjoy!

I like the way the ceiling fan moves all the air in the room very gently all the time, unlike the stand fans which only blow in one direction or have to be set to oscillate which I also find unpleasant.

Also the ceiling fan (on a low setting) is all but silent.

I've lived in View Talay 2 for 10 years now and it's a great location. I'm not sure where the nearest gym is though. View Talay 1, 5 & 7 and View Talay Residences are all nearby though the Residences are on Jomtien 2nd Road so not on a regular baht bus route. Many condos available for rent and you'll have no problem finding a studio within your price range. All condos should have aircon, though some of them may be quite old. There should also be ceiling fans, which cost considerably less to run all the time than aircon.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby and it's only 10 baht if you want to head into Pattaya.

Alan

Tony's gym is a 5 minute walk from VT2. Just walk down to the Monkey Monument and turn left. You'll see it on the left almost at the end of the block.

I have been here 11 years and resided in virtually every area of Pattaya. I was impressed, primarily with developer ads re Jontiem and moved there 1

is JONTIEM. Cost me a bundle to get in/out but it's worth it to finally be PAROLLED ! P. S. - and now they managed to screw up the beach as well !

What makes Jomtien unique...is that it is not Pattaya with all the noise and mayhem...

The 10 baht ride to Pattaya was always interesting...and one could actually walk to Pattaya as I did on more than one occasion...

View Talay 2B is behind View Talay 2A and is a little quieter has a nice pool and is convenient to most everything...should be able to get a nice condo in your price range...

Enjoy!

DIstances for me are not an issue, having walked the Camino de Santiago (Frances) earlier this year I enjoy a good walk. If it takes an hour to walk to the cinema I look at that as two birds with one stone, exercise and entertainment.

Can always stop for refreshments on the way! thumbsup.gif

Seems as per my initial google searches, View Talay residences seem to be a popular choice.

I have not included any other costs of living like electricity, food, clothing, entertainment etc etc. because I already pay for those things in the UK and I am sure I could cut costs there too. As an example I currenly pay £700 for a golf membership in UK, although I have not researched it I'm pretty sure I would be paying nowhere near that in Thailand.

Whilst accommodation will be cheaper here (and you wont pay council tax here), you may find that other costs are higher than you think.

For example, beer in the supermarket in the UK will probably cost you less than in a supermarket here, though if you prefer to drink out then it will probably cost you less here than there.

Any imported things like cheese or wine or tea or even decent biscuits cost a small fortune here. Most manufactured things cost more here than they do in the UK, and the choice is much more limited here. For example, I buy my t-shirts and socks in Primark in the UK because they are overpriced rubbish here. Every year I fly to the UK for a week and return with two big suitcases full of groceries and suchlike.

For golf, my friends who play here aren't members: they just pay the daily rate which is generally a package with transport (most courses are a long way out of town) and caddy and cart hire, all of which are often obligatory. With tip and a simple lunch I dont think they get much change from 2000B for a round, though I dont play myself and may be wrong.

I think that memberships can be astronomically expensive, and may disappear before your very eyes if the club gets sold.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678452-shocking-price-rises-at-phoenix-golf-club-pattaya/

Seems as per my initial google searches, View Talay residences seem to be a popular choice.

Be aware that unless it actually says "residence" it almost invariably means the high-rise View Talay buildings. They are very different things indeed.

Be aware that unless it actually says "residence" it almost invariably means the high-rise View Talay buildings. They are very different things indeed.

I only used the term residence as a description for somewhere to stay, a rental studio flat is pretty much what I'm after.

What's the Thai interpretation of residence? are you talking a house?

I'm not an expert in room cooling, but, ceiling fans are generally much larger and the ones I have experienced are usually centrally located over either the bed or a lounge room. At a low setting I find them very pleasant and keep the room at a comfortable temperature.

Standing fans, in my opinion, are very weak and to gain any benefit from them you need to be standing in front of it with your shirt open making like a wind sock!

Usually When I arrive back at accommodation I would put the A/C on for 10-20 mins or so to cool me down then switch to the ceiling fans to maintain it.

Clearly there are many factors that could affect the temperature in any given home, size of rooms, does the sun flood in through the window during the day, amount of electrical appliances generating heat, time of year etc etc.

And of course one persons view of 'hot' or 'cool' is not the same as the next! wink.png

Thanks, that's a big help.

Enjoy!

DIstances for me are not an issue, having walked the Camino de Santiago (Frances) earlier this year I enjoy a good walk. If it takes an hour to walk to the cinema I look at that as two birds with one stone, exercise and entertainment.

Starting life here eyes wide shut is good,like to have a conclusion off you in say one year when the eyes finally open,it is hard going for sure,especially if you pick up baggage along the way

There are a handful of low-rise condo buildings called "View Talay Residence 1/2/3" etc. It's just a name with no specific meaning, though they are slightly posher than the high-rises called "View Talay" without the "Residence".

Look on any Pattaya real estate site.

"View Talay" means "Sea View".

Enjoy!

Starting life here eyes wide shut is good,like to have a conclusion off you in say one year when the eyes finally open,it is hard going for sure,especially if you pick up baggage along the way

All part of the life experience, can't go through life never trying anything. If in a year I don't want to be here, I'll leave, it's that simple.

And 'eyes wide shut' is a little steep, I've been staying 2 months of the year as it stands an extra 10 months changes nothing other than the fact I won't be paying for a UK house aswell!

There are a handful of low-rise condo buildings called "View Talay Residence 1/2/3" etc. It's just a name with no specific meaning, though they are slightly posher than the high-rises called "View Talay" without the "Residence".

Look on any Pattaya real estate site.

"View Talay" means "Sea View".

Gotcha, will keep that in mind.

ta