Where To Sell Silver American Eagle Coins in BK?

Hi everyone

Where is the best place to sell silver American Eagle coins in BK? I did a search here and there is the area around Wong Wian Yai and another area would be at Silo/Charoem Krung Rd.

Just wondering if anyone might know of any shops that would buy Silver American Eagles but it a fair price, not at scrap silver prices. Im looking to let go 20-40 Silver American Eagles. Thanks

You are seeking numismatic value that depends on rarity such as low mintage and quality such as cameo proof.

You might find someone interested through the Numismatic Association of Thailand Facebook.

Thanks for the reply, but Im actually just selling silver pretty much for melt value. Silver American Eagles are not rare coins though they do come with a small premium. Im just interested to sell for around the spot price of silver. I need to go back to Chinatown but in general what I saw was that the merchants deal in bulk (kgs worth) and 92.5% silver.

In the states I could take my silver eagles and get close to or right under spot value for American Eagles. My hunch is that Ill get even less than what I usually get in the states (but perhaps someone knows of a place that might be more reasonable.)

You are seeking numismatic value that depends on rarity such as low mintage and quality such as cameo proof.

You might find someone interested through the Numismatic Association of Thailand Facebook.

Thanks for the reply, but Im actually just selling silver pretty much for melt value. Silver American Eagles are not rare coins though they do come with a small premium. Im just interested to sell for around the spot price of silver. I need to go back to Chinatown but in general what I saw was that the merchants deal in bulk (kgs worth) and 92.5% silver.

In the states I could take my silver eagles and get close to or right under spot value for American Eagles. My hunch is that Ill get even less than what I usually get in the states (but perhaps someone knows of a place that might be more reasonable.)

"any shops that would buy Silver American Eagles but it a fair price, not at scrap silver prices"

"Thanks for the reply, but Im actually just selling silver pretty much for melt value."

Not sure which it is. Are you selling them as American Eagles or are you selling them just for their silver content?

You'd probably be better off trying to sell them for their numismatic value even if there isn't much of a premium. There are coin dealers at Chatuchak market, but even there I doubt you'll find much enthusiasm for coins that have no collectible value. Since they only date back to 1986 at the earliest, they would need to be in excellent uncirculated condition and even then you'd be very lucky to get an offer of Baht 500 per coin. If they were certified and slabbed, maybe Baht 750 to 1000.

At a recent auction someone sold 100 x 1921 Morgan dollars in decent but uncertified condition and they only fetched Baht 64000, or Baht 640 per coin so I doubt you should expect to do better than that.

post-145917-0-67940600-1445364375_thumb.

basic clowns will offer about $16 for each, and that's probably not the worst for MOST of them...

but there will be like 5-10 that have a few more dollars of value there...

i would list them all here, with pictures......i have sold enough silver to have a clue....and more gold.

unfortunately, you will get screwed for a few dollars no matter where you sell them, but i'm talking $40 less than ideal.....and that is after you do your homework.

i sold when silver was at 22, so i wasn't a genius on when to get out.....but i might be able to help you a little bit

like this post so i know to come back to the thread..

Hello everyone thanks for your replies. Sorry for the belated post but Ive been awfully busy lately as Im making a few transitions. I'll perhaps take some pics of silver (I also have other semi-numismatic coins( like 2000 Perth Minth Lunar Dragons, Gilded 2008 Kookaburras, etc) but the ones Im willing to let go will be the Eagles.

I will send PMs as well. Much thanks for everyone's help here.

smile.png

Update:

Went to about a dozen shops on the somewhat infamous area on Charoen Krung and Silom where you will find a bunch of shops selling 'wholesale' silver.

Not to any surprise, the bulk of these shops are wholesale shops that sell to outlets that will sell to people (unless Im wrong and please correct me).

Hence,,,,,

90% of these shops dont have any interest at all to buy silver..as their focus is mainly selling. I did stumble upon two shops that had some interest. One asked a bit too low (Im willing to sell my silver coins at a good price but I dont want to give them away either) and the other shop was too much of a hassle (owners daughter wanted to see, had to wait for her in a few days....the guy was interested but not enough for me to pursue further).

Another shop wanted the silver in 'silver balls', not coins, and I could sorta feel that that they used that excuse as a polite way of saying 'no' to buying my silver.

I also talked to a Thai lady who knows the circuit for selling. She sold silver jewelry and a gold bracelet at a fair price and told me 'Chinatown' was the place to be if want to sell.

If anyone wants to take them off my hands for a good price, PM me your interest and price. The bulk of my silver are Silver America Eagle coins that are mixed dates. Really good condition. Also have Austrian Philharmonics that are also in excellent condition.

Here are some pics:

Sorry for the low quality shots-I put the coins on my bed (I guess my dream of becoming a Photographer shall never come true)

post-81546-0-17650100-1446570430_thumb.j

post-81546-0-52337600-1446570495_thumb.j

Edited by Plate

The spot price when you first posted was $15.80. Now it's $15.13. If you look at the charts in the last 5 years the silver price has slowly declined. Nobody knows the future, but the trend doesn't look like it's going up any time soon.

The problem you (and potential buyers) have is that the coins aren't particularly desirable in Asia, and they are difficult to sell at the spot price.

Your best market would be to an American or perhaps a European who could take them home and sell them. However they are only going to do this if they can make a profit, or it's not going to be worth their time and the risk.

At the minute a price of 450 baht a coin gives them $2.50 profit a coin, so for 20 coins they might make $50... but they have to meet you, spend time checking the coins (these coins are frequently counterfeited), take them to another country, sell them and hope the spot price doesn't follow the trend and drop in the meantime.