Which car to buy?

username1

Mazda and Ford are the same just with different badges.

You are prepared to spend nearly 1 mil on a Ford Focus but only 500,000 on a Toyota.

Do a lot of research on vehicles built in Thailand before you commit.

He's not looking for a truck. No current Mazda saloon car made here is based on a Ford.
You must be a Ford owner. Sorry to hear that.

Hows the after sales care? Ford looking after you?

Didnt think so.

Very well actually. Ford HO have made an effort to get in touch and see that we're happy, the saleman at the dealership is always responsive and has done good job to make sure I got and continue to get good deals. I guess he must have been poached from Dullota.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are prepared to spend nearly 1 mil on a Ford Focus but only 500,000 on a Toyota.

He's not looking for a truck. No current Mazda saloon car made here is based on a Ford.
Still both Ford and Mazda are built with the same low quality parts.
I know. It's amazing that 3 out of their 5 vehicles lead their classes (4 when the new Focus becomes available) considering they're built from such poor quality parts. Edited by JaseTheBass

Yaris should be sufficient and you never go wrong with a Toyota, parts, reliability and resale....the latest Yaris looks quite nice. My friend is happy with his and being a passenger it seemed like a spacious and comfortable enough car for your needs. Honda Jazz is another popular one. As mentioned the tax brackets are changing in he new year but on smaller cars you may save 10k or so. 2nd hand values do not hold anymore as they used to so no point in spending more than needed. Visit the showrooms and have test drives if possible.

The new style Yaris looks a wee stunner, in thr right colour. We currently have a Mazda 2 which has been an excellent runner, both in town,on the motorway and in the soi, never had a problem with it. I am 6' tall and can get in and out without a problem, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

If money no object, I would also consider the Mazda 3 which looks very stylish.

Off topic and might need a new thread for this, but one question came in to my mind regarding BMW/Benz or any other expensive car in Thailand. Would you consider it dangerous to show you have money to buy a car like that?

Edited by username1

Didnt think so.

I had a Ford once. Enough said.

1st choice should be Japanese if you can't afford Merc and BMW, so the 2 Fords are out, any of the 3 others would be a good solid buy...me id go the 3 town or country no problem and use that bit more space for a growing family.

The budget is flexible, but is there a reason to stretch it to 2-3M just to get a MB / BMW? I'm unsure what benefits these offer other than the status of owning a more expensive brand...

I can't believe some members here... the guy wants to buy a car for his family and members spew ridiculous advice like take Uber (is it even legal <deleted>), walk, and even get a bike... did you muppets forget your meds this week?? <deleted>???!!

I'd suggest to get the car with the highest possible seating position so you have plenty of visibility all around.

Mazda makes great cars, but I've noticed the Mazda 3 has a super long nose, which may be an issue for you in regards to navigation

Haha, there's some great advice in the thread! That's true regarding Mazda 3 nose, I'd say that the highest seating position would be in HR-V suggested.

Bmw are just better made spend less on repairs if you keep it long time, I've owned 2 I know what I'm talking abour

I know. It's amazing that 3 out of their 5 vehicles lead their classes (4 when the new Focus becomes available) considering they're built from such poor quality parts.

It's the power of advertising. How do you think Microsoft has been selling an absolutely crap operating system for years?

I'd go with a Toyota or Honda. Best at keeping the value for reselling when you want to replace the car. Had a civic 1.8 L for 2and a half years, lost less than 200K in value when sold it (about 20%). Have a Ford now, wanted to replace but after less than 2 years lost over 40% of the buying value...

I'd go with a Toyota or Honda. Best at keeping the value for reselling when you want to replace the car. Had a civic 1.8 L for 2and a half years, lost less than 200K in value when sold it (about 20%). Have a Ford now, wanted to replace but after less than 2 years lost over 40% of the buying value...

Times have changed though - good luck getting only 20% depreciation on any 2yo car now...

I know. It's amazing that 3 out of their 5 vehicles lead their classes (4 when the new Focus becomes available) considering they're built from such poor quality parts.

You should have given up at "Mazda and Ford are the same just with different badges" smile.png

It's clear Phil is still living in the 80's tongue.png

Edit: oh wow, my bad! Yesterday was Back to the Future day - so I guess Phil just arrived from 1985 in his Delorean biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

Ah, memories.The first Ford Laser built in Australia was so gutless it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. The shape change in the same model introduced windscreen cracking after 1000 km or so due to an assembly glitch. And who can forget the Australian Grand Prix that sent Ford sales and marketing personnel into shock - two F1 Fords lined up on the starting grid after the warmup lap, bursting into flames within 30 seconds of one another? Moving right along, a used Ford Territory. No need to check for rust in the engine bay, Ford had already installed it during manufacture.

And now Ford is going out of manufacturing in Australia ( Sob ) . Damn those Australians for not wanting to buy dinosaur designs.

Not so amazing. Brand leaders are established by marketing, motoring journalists and the sheep that follow. Thailand is not the only place for corruption. You're a motoring writer who is wined, dined and whatever else deemed necessary during a product launch. You know very well the invitations will dry up if you write a review which tells it like it is. So what do you do?

A good example of this was in 2004, Australian Large Car of the Year Award. Four competitors - Holden Commodore, Mitsubishi Magna, Ford Falcon, Toyota Avalon. As one braver writer said, you had to be a corpse before you qualified to drive an Avalon. The COTY was won by the Commodore.

In terms of cost, you could buy a Magna AWD for the same price as a Commodore, and it wasn't even considered. Mitsubishi marketed it so poorly it went out of production a couple of years later. It was streets ahead of its competitors in terms of handling and safety, and years ahead in terms of technical excellence. It later became the used car bargain of the decade with depreciation.

Just keep on with your Ford fixation, everybody is entitled to a delusion. However, do me a favour please. As the bits drop off on the roads, please pick them up so I don't damage my Michelins. Or is that another motoring thread?

Around 600K the best buy will be a 2015 Honda Jazz or City 1.5 for a small car, roomy and powerful.

Good resale value and many good used ones on the market.

The 2015 Ford Fiesta sedan 4 doors automatic 1.5 still selling for under 500K. But service and resale value are not very good.

The 2015 Nissan Almera 1.2 for about 500K may be a good buy for the money, but resale value in Nissan is not so good like Honda and Toyota.

The Toyota Yaris 1.2 for about 550K is a nice car, but is not competition to the Honda Jazz, in space and power.

Over 750K there are a lot of good options, if you wants to spend that kind of money.

Be away of imported cars if you wants to be free of service troubles, and to pay more expensive insurance....but...sometimes... taking a risk in an imported second hand car can be very exciting experience..... if lucky. Even a 15 years old Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW, easy to find for under 400K, can beat easily a top of the line 2015 Honda or Toyota in every aspect.

I still missing my 2000 Mercedes Benz 300 CD diesel station wagon I had in the US.....and very difficult to find here.

Nobody will sell a good one. I sold mine for $8,000 in 2010...to move here.

post-183983-0-18121000-1445501913_thumb.

If you find one..let me know.

Edited by umbanda

Didnt think so.

Very well actually. Ford HO have made an effort to get in touch and see that we're happy, the saleman at the dealership is always responsive and has done good job to make sure I got and continue to get good deals. I guess he must have been poached from Dullota.

He probably used to work for Toyota.

I work with these vehicles everyday.

Here's a Ford / Mazda part from my parts department.

post-82234-0-41756400-1445539529_thumb.j

Around 600K the best buy will be a 2015 Honda Jazz or City 1.5 for a small car, roomy and powerful.

The 2015 Ford Fiesta sedan 4 doors automatic 1.5 still selling for under 500K. But service and resale value are not very good.

The 2015 Nissan Almera 1.2 for about 500K may be a good buy for the money, but resale value in Nissan is not so good like Honda and Toyota.

The Toyota Yaris 1.2 for about 550K is a nice car, but is not competition to the Honda Jazz, in space and power.

Over 750K there are a lot of good options, if you wants to spend that kind of money.

Be away of imported cars if you wants to be free of service troubles, and to pay more expensive insurance....but...sometimes... taking a risk in an imported second hand car can be very exciting experience..... if lucky. Even a 15 years old Mercedes Benz, Audi, or BMW, easy to find for under 400K, can beat easily a top of the line 2015 Honda or Toyota in every aspect.

I still missing my 2000 Mercedes Benz 300 CD diesel station wagon I had in the US.....and very difficult to find here.

attachicon.gifmercedes2.jpg

Great answer thanks. What options you would choose from the 800k-1X00k range? After some thinking I've come to decision to buy safer car even if it costs more. The fact is that driving in Thailand is quite dangerous and extra safety might be worth it. Since the Mazda 2/3 are stripped down models in Thailand, those are out of the question.

Ah, memories.The first Ford Laser built in Australia was so gutless it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. The shape change in the same model introduced windscreen cracking after 1000 km or so due to an assembly glitch. And who can forget the Australian Grand Prix that sent Ford sales and marketing personnel into shock - two F1 Fords lined up on the starting grid after the warmup lap, bursting into flames within 30 seconds of one another? Moving right along, a used Ford Territory. No need to check for rust in the engine bay, Ford had already installed it during manufacture.

And now Ford is going out of manufacturing in Australia ( Sob ) . Damn those Australians for not wanting to buy dinosaur designs.

Not so amazing. Brand leaders are established by marketing, motoring journalists and the sheep that follow. Thailand is not the only place for corruption. You're a motoring writer who is wined, dined and whatever else deemed necessary during a product launch. You know very well the invitations will dry up if you write a review which tells it like it is. So what do you do?

A good example of this was in 2004, Australian Large Car of the Year Award. Four competitors - Holden Commodore, Mitsubishi Magna, Ford Falcon, Toyota Avalon. As one braver writer said, you had to be a corpse before you qualified to drive an Avalon. The COTY was won by the Commodore.

In terms of cost, you could buy a Magna AWD for the same price as a Commodore, and it wasn't even considered. Mitsubishi marketed it so poorly it went out of production a couple of years later. It was streets ahead of its competitors in terms of handling and safety, and years ahead in terms of technical excellence. It later became the used car bargain of the decade with depreciation.

Just keep on with your Ford fixation, everybody is entitled to a delusion. However, do me a favour please. As the bits drop off on the roads, please pick them up so I don't damage my Michelins. Or is that another motoring thread?

No offence intended, but everything you've just said pertains to a few different Australian made cars, the first one dating back to the 80's which was a actually a Mazda design made under license, the others being Aussie made models that were so good they resulted in the end of Aussie manufacturing. Ditto Nissan, ditto Mitsubishi, ditto Holden (GM), ditto Toyota.. With that kind of track record, it's hardly surprising if there's some ill sentiment towards Aussie made cars.

No arguments at all in regards to what you say about journalism though.. Especially "launch reviews" where journos are often flown around the country/world, put up in 5 star accom, given a few days of dusk-to-dawn brand evangelism, while embarking on very carefully planned and managed test drives & routes that highlight the vehicles strong points and if necessary, hide the weak. Beyond that, no motoring journalist actually owns a car anymore - they have a selection of long term media cars to choose from each time they walk out to their driveway, that might be one or two base models, or several luxury and sport models, depending on how well their reviews are liked by each manufacturer. Go from having a BMW M, an AMG and a RR in the driveway to a Mirage and a base spec D-Max, and you'll probably notice it ;)

I work with these vehicles everyday.

Here's a Ford / Mazda part from my parts department.

Not a current part judging from the date. I thought you would be less ignorant about these things seeing as you're apparently in the trade. Only the BT50/Ranger is a shared model currently made by both Ford and Mazda.

I rather admire IMHO having a Ford here,at least he wont heap it with praise just because hes bought one like most do .Im very unpopular with some Tuna Owners for listing all its weak spots from years ago.

Happy to be the forum guinea pig smile.png

Right now, the EV is in the hands of some relatives doing a few thousand K's of road trip up North. A few days ago they even took it around some muddy mountain tracks with 9 people (squeezed) on board. If something is going to break in the first 10,000KM, it'll be now tongue.png If nothing else, I guess we'll see just how "durable" those hard surfaces I dislike so much are, hehe.

As for Ford's after sales service, we've even had the selling dealer (100's of KM away) personally visit us at home with a gift pack and banter over a month after taking delivery. At this stage I'm predicting uneventful routine services, but time will tell smile.png

Edited by IMHO

I rather admire IMHO having a Ford here,at least he wont heap it with praise just because hes bought one like most do .Im very unpopular with some Tuna Owners for listing all its weak spots from years ago.

Right now, the EV is in the hands of some relatives doing a few thousand K's of road trip up North. A few days ago they even took it around some muddy mountain tracks with 9 people (squeezed) on board. If something is going to break in the first 10,000KM, it'll be now tongue.png If nothing else, I guess we'll see just how "durable" those hard surfaces I dislike so much are, hehe.

As for Ford's after sales service, we've even had the selling dealer (100's of KM away) personally visit us at home with a gift pack and banter over a month after taking delivery. At this stage I'm predicting uneventful routine services, but time will tell smile.png

Haha, IMHO the forum guinea pig. In all honesty, not wishing to cast aspersions (as I am also a Ford owner in TH), the reason the dealer is sucking up to you might be because of business development and PR reasons rather than the type of service a normal person would receive. wink.png

Haha, IMHO the forum guinea pig. In all honesty, not wishing to cast aspersions (as I am also a Ford owner in TH), the reason the dealer is sucking up to you might be because of business development and PR reasons rather than the type of service a normal person would receive. wink.png

Quite possible, yes - but we've had all that from HO - the dealer visit seemed more SOP, and less like a JD Power Survey.

Not a current part judging from the date. I thought you would be less ignorant about these things seeing as you're apparently in the trade. Only the BT50/Ranger is a shared model currently made by both Ford and Mazda.

To me it's a good thing. As Ford dealers tend to not be as plentiful as Toyota and Isuzu, it's really nice that there are also Mazda dealers with the same expertise and parts that can do work on many Ford models. Often cheaper, too.

For Mazda I like the passenger car designs, a lot, but not really the BT-50 truck. That vehicle looks a lot better in Ford styling.

I wish Ford/Mazda did something in the Camry size actually.

To me it's a good thing. As Ford dealers tend to not be as plentiful as Toyota and Isuzu, it's really nice that there are also Mazda dealers with the same expertise and parts that can do work on many Ford models. Often cheaper, too.

For Mazda I like the passenger car designs, a lot, but not really the BT-50 truck. That vehicle looks a lot better in Ford styling.

I wish Ford/Mazda did something in the Camry size actually.

I totally agree. It would also mean the new Mazda 2 would be as much fun to drive as the previous version.

I actually tried to get a price to service my previous Ranger at Mazda. They told me that they weren't happy to do it and the warranty would be invalidated. That seemed odd as in proper countries any qualified mechanic is allowed to work on a car and not invalidate a warranty.

No offence intended, but everything you've just said pertains to a few different Australian made cars, the first one dating back to the 80's which was a actually a Mazda design made under license, the others being Aussie made models that were so good they resulted in the end of Aussie manufacturing. Ditto Nissan, ditto Mitsubishi, ditto Holden (GM), ditto Toyota.. With that kind of track record, it's hardly surprising if there's some ill sentiment towards Aussie made cars.

No arguments at all in regards to what you say about journalism though.. Especially "launch reviews" where journos are often flown around the country/world, put up in 5 star accom, given a few days of dusk-to-dawn brand evangelism, while embarking on very carefully planned and managed test drives & routes that highlight the vehicles strong points and if necessary, hide the weak. Beyond that, no motoring journalist actually owns a car anymore - they have a selection of long term media cars to choose from each time they walk out to their driveway, that might be one or two base models, or several luxury and sport models, depending on how well their reviews are liked by each manufacturer. Go from having a BMW M, an AMG and a RR in the driveway to a Mirage and a base spec D-Max, and you'll probably notice it wink.png

No offence taken. There were actually some very good cars produced in Australia. Nissan Pulsar, Holden Monaro ( if you like muscle cars ), and the Magna AWD. The real problem was 5 vehicle manufacturers competing in a country with a population of 20 million people, and doing it with high labour costs. Economy of scale just wasn't there.

When you compare Thailand's tariff of 100% on imported vehicles with Australia's zero tariff, fairly obvious what's going to happen

The optimal solution would have been just one vehicle manufacturer ( definitely not Ford based on past performance ) in Australia. The economic dries have won the day, so in 3-5 years time I'm predicting a lot more coffee shops and door to door salespeople.

attachicon.gifmercedes2.jpg

Great answer thanks. What options you would choose from the 800k-1X00k range? After some thinking I've come to decision to buy safer car even if it costs more. The fact is that driving in Thailand is quite dangerous and extra safety might be worth it. Since the Mazda 2/3 are stripped down models in Thailand, those are out of the question.

I'm interested to know why you say that the Mazda are stripped down models in Thailand.

From the little information I have and AFIK the CX 3 will have up to 6 airbags, depending on the version.

Which other safety features have been taken out?

I don't know, and as we will be getting something in the future I am very interested in this subject.