What is the best approach to get a job here in Thailand?

be a slacker.

seriously, maybe show up. knock knock, handshake , some glue can work too these days. just try.

I've been trying this for almost two years now. I visit there quit a lot.

As a degree qualified "professional" in institutional investments/ banking I suggest you approach the major Thai banks.

I've been sending them my resume, but to no avail sad.png . I believe that my non-local address maybe a deterrant.

be a slacker.

seriously, maybe show up. knock knock, handshake , some glue can work too these days. just try.

As a degree qualified "professional" in institutional investments/ banking I suggest you approach the major Thai banks.

I've been sending them my resume, but to no avail sad.png . I believe that my non-local address maybe a deterrant.

Doubt that.

Maybe something to do with qualification or experience?

With a "resume" I guess you are American.

Have you had the "resume" critically examined by an independent expert ?

if a thai can do the job, you cannot do the job. with i-banking, i'm sure you need to be hired outside of thailand and then brought into BKK. i would imagine odds are less than 0.5% you get hired if you go straight to BKK without a job. However, you can teach english for peanuts.....and that is not a guarantee either. but now we are at 70%. so just call on all the big banks in London and NYC and send them your resume. you might need to have some thai language competence.

just start a hedge fund yourself outside of Thailand, put in a few millions USD by raising it locally, and then you have leverage......or daytrade and make billions.....haha....

for a job in banking you will need to work for the company in another country and get posted to Thailand, I knew some of the staff in the Thai Military Bank that were foreigners, all started in the home countries then got the chance to go to Thailand.

for a job in banking you will need to work for the company in another country and get posted to Thailand, I knew some of the staff in the Thai Military Bank that were foreigners, all started in the home countries then got the chance to go to Thailand.

This might take years. I'm 33. I want to get there while I'm young. Also, it is not so doable in Israel, as there are not many banks here with a branch in Thailand.

The job doesn't have to be in a bank or in a big investment firm. Not even with a high payment.

Any other ideas besides teaching?

Thanks guys for sharing your ideas with me thumbsup.gif

"My profession is instittutional investments/ banking"

Any degree? How many years of work experience? How good is your Thai?

in general, investment bankers who want to work abroad have a network of fellow bankers and a name / reputation and get hired without having to send out a resumee.. so better work on your experience and qualifications and build up your professional network.

plenty of people out there who claim to be investment bankers after having sold more than 10 shares...

be a slacker.

"I visit there quit [sic] a lot." "...my non-local address maybe a deterrant [sic]."

Did you use a spell checker when you prepared your résumé?

Probably best to look for an investment bank in your own country that has a presence in SE Asia and then hope for a transfer here if that's what you want. If you can't find employment in your home country and assume getting hired in Thailand would be easier, you're mistaken. Any Thai bank would expect that someone at entry level would be fluent in Thai or bring along such an overwhelming set of experience and credentials as to make them hard to turn away. Otherwise it would make more sense for them to hire a local, or at least someone with experience in this part of the world, and they would have the expectation that the training and experience the applicant gains with them will remain with them. Hiring a foreigner who is likely to cut and run at the first opportunity wouldn't make sense to them and, on the other hand, there isn't much likelihood that you would have any kind of long-term career growth here in competition with Thai nationals.

Edited by Suradit69

I run a software company here in Chiang mai. The best way to get a job is:
1. get to know the targetted company as much as possible.

2. get connected in linkedin to employees of that company.

3. get in touch with them to hear even more about that company.

4. find out what you can do, to make this company better.

Then contact HRM or the department head with your findings.

I guarantee you, Thai people will never do these actions and you will stand out.

yes, finding a job is a full time job!

Regards,

Hans

If you are 33 and a professional investment banker...you need to be hired by a major Investment banking firm. What are your credentials...if you are any good you should be able to get a job at Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs in the US. After about 3 years of getting your butt kicked ...if you have made the company money and not embarrassed your boss you should be able to post for an international job. Take anything in SE Asia that turns up...once there you can work your network to move to Thailand.

Now the problem is if at 33 in Investment banking you have no real credentials or accomplishments...if that is the case...you will not be able to do any of the above. the first step in moving forward in life is to realistically assess yourself. do it before you leap into something you might not be able to easily get out of.

in general, investment bankers who want to work abroad have a network of fellow bankers and a name / reputation and get hired without having to send out a resumee.. so better work on your experience and qualifications and build up your professional network.

plenty of people out there who claim to be investment bankers after having sold more than 10 shares...

I never said I'm an investment banker. I have a degree in economics, more than 4 years of experience. I can read and write basic Thai. Speaking is more hard for me.

You are right about the network, but unfortunately, I don't want to put that word out in public yet, as I'm still working, and it's a small market here.

Edited by LiorW

References are the key to getting a job in Thailand and you should have a good understanding of the Thai language. Focus on the European or Asian market with Singapore being a possible target and with some luck you might end up in Thailand. If you are currently employed in Israel please ask your boss to look for ways to get you posted here in Southeast Asia. It would be interested to know what you are currently doing and if you are employed or unemployed. Also the degrees would be important too that you are currently holding and from which institutions.

I never said I'm an investment banker. I have a degree in economics, more than 4 years of experience. I can read and write basic Thai. Speaking is more hard for me.

You are right about the network, but unfortunately, I don't want to put that word out in public yet, as I'm still working, and it's a small market here.

Read and write basic Thai is not that important to be honest. I know overseas Thais that returned to Thailand and they still don't have the ability to to write Thai.

If you have MS/MA in Economics I would suggest you to become a lecturer at a local university.

This might take years. I'm 33. I want to get there while I'm young. Also, it is not so doable in Israel, as there are not many banks here with a branch in Thailand.

The job doesn't have to be in a bank or in a big investment firm. Not even with a high payment.

Any other ideas besides teaching?

Thanks guys for sharing your ideas with me thumbsup.gif

Check employment with HSBC and Citibank branches in Israel. They both have branches in Bangkok and throughout Asia. If your banking skills are unique maybe you can get a transfer in a couple of years.

Read and write basic Thai is not that important to be honest. I know overseas Thais that returned to Thailand and they still don't have the ability to to write Thai.

If you have MS/MA in Economics I would suggest you to become a lecturer at a local university.

Why are you contradicting yourself.? ..in one post you say one needs a good understanding of the Thai language and in the next post you say you dont...

OP dont get caught up with the " thai language" thing....if a company is going to employ a foreigner and go through the WP process, its not because of their thai language ability... you need to have some marketable skills or experience which is needed and justifiable to hire on a foreigner....

you state the sum total of your work experience is only 4 years....although i am not in thai banking, but Engineering in Thailand, and if you were applying for an engineering position you wouldnt be considered as you would be deemed to be "too light" on experience....

typically one would be looking for 10 to 15 years experience as a foreigner would be employed into a postion of "responsibility"

It's all about who you know in Thailand as a foreigner looking for work. Most companies would not touch you as quite simply they do not have provisions to hire a foreigner. In companies that do allow foreigners - they also have certain numbers and unless one is leaving they can't replace you with them.

Its not quite simple the task fo just hiring a foreigner - companies need to show certain amounts of capital etc. It should be 1 foreigner for 4 thais. If they don't have this they cannot hire a foreigner.

I would suggest you network, get to know people in your business and be aggressive in promoting yourself.

Best of luck!

Would you consider a head hunter/employment agency? Though, you'd have to be actually present in BKK.

You can join internations.org, since I see some expats in the finance industry inquiring about talent and you can maybe get in touch with them. Not boiler room types.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

I too was looking for a job in Thailand trying to avoid traveling back and forth to my country for work. I found most of the jobs here even for a basic check out operator requires some sort of degree, which is way different from where im from. We usually hire someone based on experience not so much on the schooling as we found it didnt really equate to real skill with the higher education. The Thais usually prefer to hire someone who speaks and writes fluently and some over the top degree as this is their prerequasite before they even look at you and especially for banking with all their paperwork and possibly a security issue as well. I guess that is just the reality here. Not to discourage you, but you could fork out from banking to accounting, homeloans, setting up businesses with all the correct requirements for farangs as there are some sharks out there or the honest ones are not able to communicate the finer details. I think there is a market here for this as every tom dick and harry opens some sort of business, buys a condo etc.

Goodluck amigo!!

It's about life experience in general.

That isn't going to get you a job nor is an economics degree. You haven't got any experience so you're stuffed.

You want it easy but haven't realised that damned hard work and results are the way forward.

The degree can assist on getting you on the lower rung. Then it's up to you. You just don't appear to have even got near the lower rung. I see this all the time.