Finding A United Methodist Church In Bkk

k2bikerider

My suggestion would be to make enquiries at the US Embassy. AFAIK there is no United Methodist Church, but there is, or used to be, a church in Sukhumvit Soi 19 where some Americans worship.

When my wife and I are in BKK we worship at Christ Church in Convent Road, which calls itself Episcopalian. The minister the last time we visited was an Australian Anglican.

How long are you planning on being in Bangkok? If you're not going to be in town very long then I wouldn't worry about it. Make an extra offering of service to your community in the name of your faith to make up for the time you were unable to spend in church.

You might have a little rough luck finding specialized christian churches in a country where the population is pretty decisively Buddhist and Muslim. Many christian missionaries have come to Thailand and found little luck in bringing on board converts. If you're going to be in Bangkok for awhile, practice your christian faith wherever you are able to find those who share your belief, even if they don't entirely agree with your interpritation of the teachings in the bible.

Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing that you are a family man with children. I'm also guessing that you nor your family have ever been to SE Asia. Use your time in Thailand wisely as an opportunity to teach. Traveling to SE Asia is very much like traveling to another planet. The way people view life and God is completely different from how we view these subjects in the west. There is much to learn.

My wife(Thai-Chinese) will be there for 2.5 months with our 2 children visiting her family, and I will join her for 1 month. Also I've been to Thailand and SE Asia many times for short and extended visits, so I know what to expect, I was just looking from anyone who may know of a UMC in the BKK area. If there isn't one no big deal. My wife asked me to post the question so that we may locate one if available. Thanks for your advice as we plan on joining my wifes family to the local Wat while we are there.

K2bikerider

How long are you planning on being in Bangkok? If you're not going to be in town very long then I wouldn't worry about it. Make an extra offering of service to your community in the name of your faith to make up for the time you were unable to spend in church.

You might have a little rough luck finding specialized christian churches in a country where the population is pretty decisively Buddhist and Muslim. Many christian missionaries have come to Thailand and found little luck in bringing on board converts. If you're going to be in Bangkok for awhile, practice your christian faith wherever you are able to find those who share your belief, even if they don't entirely agree with your interpritation of the teachings in the bible.

Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing that you are a family man with children. I'm also guessing that you nor your family have ever been to SE Asia. Use your time in Thailand wisely as an opportunity to teach. Traveling to SE Asia is very much like traveling to another planet. The way people view life and God is completely different from how we view these subjects in the west. There is much to learn.

I also suggest you try Christ Church on Convent Road. It is--by denomination--part of the Anglican communion, but in my opinion is more akin to Methodism in worship than it is to US Episcopal churches. Also, in my opinion, John Wesley would feel at home there.

As I understand it, there are two worship services there, one in English and one in Thai.

Edited by popshirt