Flying steel pipe pierces Toyota like a pig on a spit

webfact

did she get to keep the pipe? might be the only thing she gets out of all this.

no unfortunately there was only sufficient pipe to complete the order ... none spare.

In fact she may have to pay damages to the pick up driver for causing lost time from braking to quickly. whistling.gif

That is not a steel "pipe".

It is structural steel, not intended to transport liquid or gas.

That said, my wife and I saw this on the television news yesterday. We discussed the various ways this could have had a very different (worse) outcome...someone in that seat, the load-carrying truck being one meter to the right, or the Toyota being a meter left, etc etc.

It would definitely be a <deleted> moment.

To be pedantic it's actually called Box Section.
To be fair there is box section and what looks like pipe in that photo, and in a bundle like that it would be b@stard to lash securely like that unless you lashed each piece down, but it was a box section that came off Edited by Soutpeel

That said, my wife and I saw this on the television news yesterday. We discussed the various ways this could have had a very different (worse) outcome...someone in that seat, the load-carrying truck being one meter to the right, or the Toyota being a meter left, etc etc.

To be more pedantic, it's actually called RHS.

Round Hollow Section

Round Hollow Section

So whys it square then :P

Round Hollow Section

So whys it square then tongue.png

Maybe, because it isn't square..............

Photo RHS tubing

Edited by Woodsie888

Round Hollow Section

You must be looking at different photos to me then....the one protruding out the back window of that avanza aint round :P

Edited by Soutpeel

Round Hollow Section

You must be looking at different photos to me then....the one protruding out the back window of that avanza aint round

Good thing you edited your post after calling the Avanza a 'Tuna'

Admit you made an error. (on both counts)

Round Hollow Section

You must be looking at different photos to me then....the one protruding out the back window of that avanza aint round

And what if i dont going to threaten to beat me up or something....:P

Round Hollow Section

And what if i dont going to threaten to beat me up or something....tongue.png

What odd behaviour you exhibit.

Goodbye.

Round Hollow Section

And what if i dont going to threaten to beat me up or something....tongue.png

What odd behaviour you exhibit.

Goodbye.

What a strange little man....

Round Hollow Section

Sorry ol mate... but it's (SHS) square hollow section.

Round Hollow Section

Sorry ol mate... but it's (SHS) square hollow section.

You are quite right.

My mistake.

Seriously folks.....when I was 14 years old and standing at the bus stop waiting for the bus to arrive I witnessed the same kind of event.

A Volkswagen beetle with a women driver had stopped at the red light at the intersection in front of me and slightly off to the left and about 100 feet away.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a welding / metal fabrication service truck, with the over head rack, carrying full lengths of various kinds of steel coming up from behind the VW beetle.

The welding truck driver was not paying attention and had to put the brakes on a little bit hard to come to a full stop as I remember seeing the front end of the truck dip down and the rear end of the truck lifting up a little as the truck came to a somewhat sudden stop about 15 to 20 feet behind the VW Beetle.

Then, a 20 foot length of 3" x 3" x 1/4 inch Angle Iron went sliding forward and off the over head rack and sailing forward in a perfect arc and went straight through the back window of the VW Beetle and lodged itself hard into the dash board of the VW beetle while narrowly missing the woman drivers right hand shoulder by 1 or 2 inches.

The women bolted up right and looked over and froze for a second and then I could see her immediately fumbling around for something and then came up with a cigarette in hand and promptly lit the cigarette while the welding truck driver had thrown open his door and exited out of the truck like lightening and ran up to the VW beetle and grabbed open the drivers door to see if the women was hurt.

By this time she had the cigarette lit and she was furiously puffing away on the cigarette and looked over at the welding truck driver with a look of horror on her face ...wide eyed, shocked and most definitely traumatized.

The bus had not arrived so I walked over to get a closer look to see that the angle iron had not stuck in the dash of the car rather penetrated right through the dash board and it was finally stopped by the metal front door hatch of the VW ( the front located storage compartment ) leaving a slightly noticeable dent and deformation in the metal, seen from the outside.

So, there was this VW beetle parked at the red light with about 13 feet of angle iron protruding out the back of the window at about a 45 degree angle and a growing line up of motor vehicles stuck behind the whole affair.

Cheers and be aware of flying lengths of metal.

Actually it is most commonly referred to as "square tube", structural steel....or more technically known as mild steel "seam welded" square tube structural steel

If you look inside the end of the steel tube you can see the weld penetration and the interior weld bead running the length of the square tube while identifying the forming process as a seam welded configuration.

For some specialty applications there are manufacturers of square tubing that make the square tube by way of "hot ram extrusion process" the same way they make "seamless pipe" ....but the tooling required is more expensive while the whole processing affair is far more technically challenging .....but for steel pipe destined to be used for pressure vessel applications hot ram extrusion process is the required way to process pipe while seam welded pipe is not acceptable for many applications.

Cheers