Haze

The South of Samui is blanketed by a thick haze since 6am with nearby mountains unable to be seen. Is this due to the Indonesian fires, if so The TMD should be measuring and publishing the particle matter measurements or is this too sensitive for tourism ?

OK so it is 2233 hrs and from our balcony high up on the pointy end of the Island we have an issue of seeing the other side of the bay to Fishermans and down the coast to the end of the Island for sure the Islands out there have gone

You can smell the bark of burning lumber in the not so clear air so sad this planet is f----d

Glad we are old and grey sorry for you young buggers but you need to fight these people who want so called progress at the expense of the existence of the world at large

We are not greens but this cannot go on if we are to continue to live on this planet

Change must come from STRONG governments and pressure from ordinary people to enable change to take plac

Hello,

I'm currently living in Hong Kong and my sister come from France to visit me. We was supposed to fly to samui yesterday but the flight was canceled. We have already booked an Hotel. Of course we can not cancel the reservation. sad.png

As you can read here : 'Worst haze in a decade' blankets southern Thailand

On top of that, the weather forecast is extremely bad ? It's going to rain every day ?

I am seriously thinking about to say good by to our money and go somewhere else anyway.

All of you are there and have a big experience about Samui. What do you think we should do ?

Were any flights cancelled or delayed today because of the haze?

check this out !

2 or 3 flights left Samui yesterday, I did not see or hear any planes coming in. The 06.00 am this morning also did not take off (probably coz there was no plane available). Haze slightly better at 07.00 am. Would expect the somewhat normal services resume today, clearing all the backlog first. Pretty messy!

Were any flights cancelled or delayed today because of the haze?

check this out !

2 or 3 flights left Samui yesterday, I did not see or hear any planes coming in.

Firefly FY3602 from Penang did two landing attempts in the afternoon after which it was diverted to Phuket for refueling and waiting for better visibility at USM.

We landed 8pm and were the only plane to be seen on the whole airport, not one single plane parked when we arrived.

We changed our toothpaste & brushes before realizing the problem ('furry teeth') was something that is outside our control.

Your post brought back memories of the sign in Mae Nam some years ago directing you to The Furry Terminal.

Flew out today, but changed to fly out on Air Asia from Surat as I had an international flight out of Don Muang same day. My wife, who was staying in Bangkok, decided to try Samui. She was put on an earlier flight with her priority wait list. Original flight was delayed 90 minutes last I looked.

Last I looked my Samui flight today was rescheduled to leave 2 hours after original departure time. If I had been on that flight would have missed my connection. Sometimes you need to think outside of the box and improvise. Haze (to get back on topic), was less in Surat than Samui but quite bad in KL.

....this is epic.....people are going to start getting sick....starting with a dry cough.....eyes watering.....allergies....then break down of the immune system....going to get worse before it gets better....might have to go on a Holiday out of here for a few months....

Disgrace that fires from Indonesia are affecting other countries in this way, it is not the first time but seems to be getting worse, what is being done or needs to be done to stop it?

Yes and already the TV Doomsayers are comparing the Indonesian fires to the annual burn offs in Northern Thailand. Nothing could be further than the truth as thousands of villages both sides of the border practice CONTROLLED burn offs every dry season by clearing the forest floor of fallen leaves thus avoiding a forest firestorm as the likes Australia experiences causing devasting loss of life to animal and human life.Think about it,the North has never experienced forest fires that can surely erupt with a lightning strike during the dry season and it is thanks to the ethnic inhabitants who understand forest control far more than the couchsurfers on TV do. Yes the act of reducing hundreds of tonnes of dead leaves to ashes does cause some discomfort for a month or so but the alternative is having to endure horrendous firestorms each year from forests that are far larger than Australia or California. Well done and good on you to the Karens and Shans of the North !

Archived