Decided to get my old bread maker out again but cannot find anywhere in pattaya

n210mp

you can get low-fat milk powder as all Tesco shops. It will not make your bread taste any difference from skim milk powder, I have not been able to get skim milk powder anywhere for quite some time. So I used low fat instead.

you can get low-fat milk powder as all Tesco shops. It will not make your bread taste any difference from skim milk powder, I have not been able to get skim milk powder anywhere for quite some time. So I used low fat instead.

Is there any big difference between the two? Skimming just removes the cream on top, which is where the fat is anyway.

One other option would be to use liquid skimmed (or low-fat) milk instead of some of the water.

As for putting milk powder into bread in the first place, I believe that many American bread recipes do indeed include milk powder, and so does standard American factory-made bread. I think it does here too in some loaves.

Personally I'm a sour dough and wholemeal freak, so milk is a complete no-no.

Thanks for the info

I am not a cook or bread maker so I'm stuck with the instructions that came with the bread maker, which says to add powdered skimmed milk to the mix

I did add some milk powder which I learned after the event contained supplements , you know the kind of stuff you take when you are calcium or some vitamin deficient, it didn't work and stopped the yeast from doing its job (I think)

So another question which maybe Vogie can answer;

If I add normal milk in its liquid form do I need to lessen the amount of water added to the mix because of the added liquid in the milk?

Thanks to all those who answered in an helpful manner

Thanks for the info

I am not a cook or bread maker so I'm stuck with the instructions that came with the bread maker, which says to add powdered skimmed milk to the mix

I did add some milk powder which I learned after the event contained supplements , you know the kind of stuff you take when you are calcium or some vitamin deficient, it didn't work and stopped the yeast from doing its job (I think)

If I add normal milk in its liquid form do I need to lessen the amount of water added to the mix because of the added liquid in the milk?

OMG is not Vogie but he does fancy himself a decent home cook...so he'll chime in on this: I would reduce the water by an equal amount to the amount of milk used. If you want to fortify it with extra iron and vitamins just add a bit of powdered baby formula to the mixture.

Thanks for the info

Yes use less water, but you need to experiment. Too much water the dough will be soggy and stick to the paddle, the dough must be workable and pliable. Its not rocket science though, too wet add more flour, too dry add water. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the info

OMG is not Vogie but he does fancy himself a decent home cook...so he'll chime in on this: I would reduce the water by an equal amount to the amount of milk used. If you want to fortify it with extra iron and vitamins just add a bit of powdered baby formula to the mixture.
Why the attack? Only trying to help?

Thanks for the info

What attack...just an attempt at humor. Sorry if it offended you. ☺

Thanks for the info

Sorry didn't understand your humour, maybe someone will explain it to me one day.

Thanks for the info

Sorry didn't understand your humour, maybe someone will explain it to me one day.

If you ate not a native English speaker my post may have been confusing as I was referring to myself in the "third person " tense where one, when talking about themselves, would speak in the first person tense. The op asked you to respond further and I sorta butted in so made a joke about this.

Try a few variations. Like potato bread (one of my favourites from back in the day when I made bread). I have two very old bread-making books, one of which is a very detailed and lengthy history of breads - good reading with every conceivable recipe included. Would like to photograph it for posterity.

Try a few variations. Like potato bread (one of my favourites from back in the day when I made bread). I have two very old bread-making books, one of which is a very detailed and lengthy history of breads - good reading with every conceivable recipe included. Would like to photograph it for posterity.

yes thanks for that Wita etc

I think that I must be entering some kind of second childhood because I have also recently made my own meat and potato pies again.

I sort of remembered the recipe and the result wasn't too bad but then after with hindsight looked at Jamie Oliver's recipes for Ozzie meat and potato pie that included cheese in the making of the pastry, I certainly am going to try that recipe

According to Google I'm not crazy for being surprised about milk in bread, not been in my countless successful loaves but may be in my next.

It's an optional supplement that can add some flavour and sweetness but not essential, so if you struggle finding it just skip it and see how the bread goes.

I used to make bread weekly. I never found much improvement or difference using basic recipes with milk. I ended up with simple whole wheat flour, yeast, honey (not sugar for the yeasty boys to fed on), and decent water. Some tap water in some cities just tastes horrible. Easy peezy. When I visit home I put on my baker's hat and Mom and Sis love it. Bread making is a simple thing that the current generation just doesn't realize they miss. That smell of bread baking in the oven as you come in from the outside on a cool or rainy day. Pure comfort.