Thai university gets first 'mobile phone lane' for smartphone junkies

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geez... the university is feeding a bad habit... only will cause them to do it constantly "outside of the mobile lane" mayhem... then if people on the sidewalks get a lane, then cars will want their own mobile phone lane... can you imagine all the traffic and foot traffic that is going to happen... probably this will make Thailand the first congested foot traffic lane in the world too..

Thailand is that allready. In every mall you have to wait for people standing in the walkways busy with their phones. They won't go stand at the side because they are too important for that.

Kasetsart uni has nice sidewalks with a roof above them but they raised the pavement lately and now the roof is too low.....Soo Thai gigglem.gif

Yet again this is a exclusively a Thai phenomenon?

I think a better idea would be to issue all university teachers with large plastic boxes. Students would have to put their phones in these boxes at the start of the lesson and then get them back at the end. This way students would actually concentrate on their classes.

Some professors already do things like this.

Some of the older tough Thai professors (mostly female) confiscate any phone that rings and hold it until the end of semester and the students cannot ask for their SIM card or an opportunity to copy their contacts list.

I love it when they keep walking - into the moat here at Chiang Mai! But motorists do it too.

Next step is to see that these higher education aspirants actually wear their helmets as they swarm out of the campus like wasps. After all, it's only a law, and T.I.T.!

A truly world class stupid idea.

I don't disagree. But I salute the students for recognizing the problem and trying something...anything.

I'm sure there's an entire Youtube section on stupid university ideas from around the world. Like that social media thing, what's it called? They can't all be winners, but one sure way to guaranty a failure is to do nothing.

Edited by impulse

What a great BS and waste of time and money!!!

Instead of banning the use of mobile phone while walking they encourage it!

If I bump into someone staring at their phone, I don't care.

If their phone falls down, I either don't care.

Only one who profits from that is Toyota with their advertisements.

I'd love to see the results of this experiment when they are published. Can they really get Thais to obey a sign? Pretty amazing if anyone takes notice of this. The problem with tech is that in theory it's incredible for education, it's just that students don't use it for that.

The sign, "Please notice the lane" is obviously in English. We can assume all, or most, students comprehend this message?

Kasetsart students speak pretty decent English. I've met plenty around the Ladprao area and they can say more than most Thais.

The most popular courses: tourism, marketing, business, all have heavy english elements to them.

Add to this that English phrases are seen as 'cool' to young people, and yeah I think it makes sense.

Maybe 1 out of 20 Kasetsart students can speak english, most of them run away when they see me coming.

Also i don't understand why they need this lane, they are university students and even them can't behave in public?

That's just because you're a scary <deleted>. :)

The sign, "Please notice the lane" is obviously in English. We can assume all, or most, students comprehend this message?

this story is more made up bulls#it to give us bored expats living in Thailand something more to get annoyed at. more laws, more rules, still no one following them and no enforcement. nothing changes. on and on, on and on.

Just one more sad sign of the times.

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

- Alber Einstein

...................."a generation of idiots.".......................

They are here ! clap2.gif

Twisting the reality, once again...inventing the absurd. Thailand just might be the Capital of Funk.

Wish it was!smile.png

Tired of Luktoong.biggrin.png

Any way wheres the 'pretty girl in short skirt' lane? Whoops that would be 1 in the samelaugh.png

Edited by kaorop

Just one more sad sign of the times.

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

- Alber Einstein

...................."a generation of idiots.".......................

They are here ! clap2.gif

Yes, and they are here in skinny jeans, listening to "EDM" and watching "The Voice" or some shit, the gits.

Poor old "Alber" will be spinning in his grave.

Edited by Rykbanlor

what a waste of funding money and brain power, not only that I thought Toyota Thailand would support better projects. Essentially they are promoting the use of cell phones on the sidewalk, but asking folks to walk on the "cell phone" lane only.

Perhaps the money is better spent at simply painting arrows on the sidewalk so people know which side to walk on, for a more "Efficient" side walk and better flow of traffic.

In the Mall, I make my elbow stays hard in position. If the walk or run into my, well, it isn't my fault.

Its the fault of the addiction misbehavior.

Is that your life? Don't like a certain trait so you wish to be more obnoxious than the perpetrators?

Geez... the university is feeding a bad habit... only will cause them to do it constantly "outside of the mobile lane" mayhem... then if people on the sidewalks get a lane, then cars will want their own mobile phone lane... can you imagine all the traffic and foot traffic that is going to happen... probably this will make Thailand the first congested foot traffic lane in the world too..

Plenty of cities in the West have this kind of thing too, fast walking lanes. Guess it doesn't fit into the 'Thais are so stupid' paradigm though :)

what a waste of funding money and brain power, not only that I thought Toyota Thailand would support better projects. Essentially they are promoting the use of cell phones on the sidewalk, but asking folks to walk on the "cell phone" lane only.

Perhaps the money is better spent at simply painting arrows on the sidewalk so people know which side to walk on, for a more "Efficient" side walk and better flow of traffic.

mmmm hyperbole, nothing like it

God forbid people use their mobile phones when walking, how dare they! The outrage!

TVF - getting your panties in a twist about the stupidest things, never fails to entertain

Edited by English_M_in_Bkk