German pork knuckle

CMKiwi

I read on one of these forums somewhere, that John (Of the Pun Pun) makes an incredible pork knuckle.

Armed with that information, I went to the Pun Pun last Sunday and was glad to order the knuckle.

Nice crackling on the outside with lots of meat around the knuckle/bone.

His wife also made a very nice/tasty sauerkraut as an accompliment. I'm not normally that fussed with sauerkraut but this particular version was/is amazing. I have pre-warned John that I shall buy a kilo or so on the next visit. It will go well with burgers or hotdogs methinks.

So in summary, I'd recommend the Pun Pun for their German pork knuckle to anyone who likes that type of food. Their other food is also very good and well within anyone's budget.

2 thumbs up from me.

Many thanks for the compliment CMKiwi..... The pork knuckle dinner in one of our most popular dishes, along with the Chicken Fried Steak Dinner. I think conservatively priced under 300 baht...... and thanks for not eating the second one...... guess what I snacked on after you left???

Thanks again, G

PunPun's is one of the very few western dining locations my (Thai-)wife really likes to visit, too. Not only due to the extraordinarily delicious fried garlic Tabtim/Tilapia or the excellent spring rolls she prefers over there but also - in case the kitchen wizard finds some free time - the amusing talks with John's likeable and unassuming wife Pranee.

I doubt it. If there was a vegetarian pork knuckle its sure to taste great.....NOT!

The Pun Pun we refer to is next to the Embassy Condo which is just over the Nakon Ping bridge and turn right. Or from town go over the Narawat bridge and turn left.

I doubt it. If there was a vegetarian pork knuckle its sure to taste great.....NOT!

The Pun Pun we refer to is next to the Embassy Condo which is just over the Nakon Ping bridge and turn right. Or from town go over the Narawat bridge and turn left.

The vegetarian pan pans are (1) behind Wat Suan Dok (maybe closed?) and (2) At Ratchapreuk near the entrance to the Night Safari. Nice settings, but a bit bland for me.

Thanks. I thought someone might like to know that the internet is giving so much prominence to the vegetarian Pun Pun Restaurant it is obscuring the Pun Pun most people prefer.

To try and explain, if possible, the Pun Pun confusion. This Pun Pun , the original, has been here under that banner, The Pun Pun Guest House , for about 32 years now. I have had it for now pushing 20 of those years, without any name confusion . About 5 - 6 years ago or thereabouts, they opened this vegetarian cum organic place and ....what.... they chose to name it Pun Pun. It has caused nothing but confusion since. In all Thainess, I don't think they ever gave it a thought to see if there was any others already using that name. We very often get people showing up , by tuk tuk maybe, pay the driver then come in and sit down only to be astounded when they see meat dishes on the menu, Needless to say they are a bit annoyed and upset. Some of them become meat eaters. tongue.png

I don't know why the interest all of a sudden in " Pun Pun " but there is another now having popped up on the way to Chiang Rai, soon as you pass the Doi Saket turn off and are into the mountains.

I would be very interested is some very, very astute and cunning linguist would give me their interpretation of the meaning of "Pun Pun". I have had a number of them over the years and so as not to confuse you, would like to hear yours first.

Signing off from The Pun Pun,,,,,,,,, the original one that is...... this is Gonzo , over to you

To try and explain, if possible, the Pun Pun confusion. This Pun Pun , the original, has been here under that banner, The Pun Pun Guest House , for about 32 years now. I have had it for now pushing 20 of those years, without any name confusion . About 5 - 6 years ago or thereabouts, they opened this vegetarian cum organic place and ....what.... they chose to name it Pun Pun. It has caused nothing but confusion since. In all Thainess, I don't think they ever gave it a thought to see if there was any others already using that name. We very often get people showing up , by tuk tuk maybe, pay the driver then come in and sit down only to be astounded when they see meat dishes on the menu, Needless to say they are a bit annoyed and upset. Some of them become meat eaters. tongue.png

I don't know why the interest all of a sudden in " Pun Pun " but there is another now having popped up on the way to Chiang Rai, soon as you pass the Doi Saket turn off and are into the mountains.

I would be very interested is some very, very astute and cunning linguist would give me their interpretation of the meaning of "Pun Pun". I have had a number of them over the years and so as not to confuse you, would like to hear yours first.

Signing off from The Pun Pun,,,,,,,,, the original one that is...... this is Gonzo , over to you

Perhaps a name change to "The Original Pun Pun"?

It is a problem that could hurt business. People frequently use the internet to find a business, and if your business isn't on the first page of search results you won't be found.

Edited by heybruce

I'm guessing that "pun pun" is an attempted English transliteration of the local language - either central Thai or Lanna Thai (a/k/a Northern Thai or Kam Muang). Do you know how Thais would spell it? (with that info, perhaps the intended meaning can be determined/guessed).

The vegetarian pan pans are (1) behind Wat Suan Dok (maybe closed?) and (2) At Ratchapreuk near the entrance to the Night Safari. Nice settings, but a bit bland for me.

not closed. moved to another location on the grounds on Wat Suan Dok. the large tree in the center was a bit of a headache for them as when it shed it's leaves they had to close the restaurant for 2-3 weeks each year.

I noticed Rudi at the Gecko has a special on pork knuckle and sauerkraut for 220 baht. I've been salivating about this but haven't yet been there when I have felt hungry enough to try it. I'll skip breakfast soon and go with an appetite. Then I will try the Pun Pun variety.

My fondest memories of this dish was from an Australian pub that had a Hungarian cook.

MadMac...Eisbein is boiled, not fried. Complete different thing made out of non halal sources smile.png

Yes MadMac I do know the difference between deep fried pork knuckle and Eisbein and I was only asking Gonzo.

Have you really nothing better to do MadMac than write the bleeding obvious to my question?

Nicksal37 , this is the best pic I have at the moment. I hope it can give you a good impression.

{another pic to be bak soon as I can finish eating}

I have also used a new adapted app on this photo........ if you get real close to your screen and scratch it you can actually smell it..... Known as "Scratch and sniff app " There are free downloads available. Just don't inhale too deeply til you get the hang of it.

Enjoy

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

• 4 weeks later...

Gonzo I have eaten there several times a long time ago. Can't remember if you have Thai food on the menu. Would like to take the wife but she is almost completely if it is not Thai it is not good. Not to interested in the Pork knuckle but I have a friend who is and we will be coming to see you.

I have had pork knuckle at several establishments around Chiang Mai, and the Pun Pun version is the best one I know at this time. Very tasty, lots of crunchy skin to enjoy, and the homemade sauerkraut is excellent. The Pun Pun mashed potatoes are also best of breed in Chiang Mai.

Let me address a couple of things here.

SpeakFrankly, I can honestly say I do not know you by name or who you are, but I do want to say a big thank you for your very kind words. I don't mean it in anyway cruel-ly but words like yours just may be a bit of a oddity on this forum, with a rep for not having always the kindest things said. So thank you again.

But the biggest thank you and the thing that does mean the most to me is this. Your bio sez you have been a member for more than 11 years and have a total post count of 4..... thats 4 in over than 11 years...... that you would take the time to write anything, much less such complimentary and kind words , means the most of the most to me.... THANK YOU IN BIG BUNCHES.

Gonzo

Gonzo I have eaten there several times a long time ago. Can't remember if you have Thai food on the menu. Would like to take the wife but she is almost completely if it is not Thai it is not good. Not to interested in the Pork knuckle but I have a friend who is and we will be coming to see you.

northernjohn , In answer, yes we do have Thai Food on our menu, in fact about 3 pages of Thai dishes.... and quite a good rep on them, if I have to say. In fact have some Burmese Dishes also..... Would be very happy to have you return with your family and look at the menu.....even happier if you would order something...... and happiest if you pay for it.

Look forward to seeing you and yours.

Gonzo