Sore throat

lassebasse

Sore throat/cough are usually viral in origin.

Symptomatic treatment with either Difflam or Kamillosan-M Spray, easily found in most pharmacies, will provide effective relief if combined with paracetamol (follow the manufacturers instructions)

Seek medical advice if suffering an on going raised temperature.

whistling.gif Exactly the same as other countries.......go and see a doctor.....and let him or her diagnose your problem.

Then if he or she gives you a prescription to treat the problem follow what he or she tells you.

In which country would you go to a doctor for just a sore throat?

If it just a cold simple thing...go to 7-11 and get some Strepsils for your throat and some Fisherman's Friend for your cough

If it is bacterial that react these yellow packed antibiotica (I think it is the Strepsils, or the same in a other brand) works wonder for me. It either fixes everything in 3-5 hours or it doesn't work at all (that it might be a virus).

Fisherman's friends: carefully: if you eat 1 pack of the cherry you may sit on the toilet for a while, if you eat 2 packs you get complete cleaned out......it may make you forget the sore throat for a while, but I would avoid it.

It is some replacement for sugar....it is also printed on the back of the package.

I have never gone to any doctor just for a sore throat, a waste of monies.....unless it has lasted more than a few days, then you probably need some antibiotics....if you catch it from the start, salt gargle and Difflam will get rid of it, and cut any fried foods!

I have never gone to any doctor just for a sore throat, a waste of monies.....unless it has lasted more than a few days, then you probably need some antibiotics....if you catch it from the start, salt gargle and Difflam will get rid of it, and cut any fried foods!

The gargle is a good idea, the earlier the better, I use a few drops of iodine, I carry that tiny yellow bottle everywhere, its great for cuts on the move, esp in this climate where you want to get even a paper cut sterile, fast.

The best attack is defence. Handwashing many times a day, or if moving from a public environment back to your (hopefully cleaner) home. Many if not most upper tract respiratory infections are spread by touching filthy public utilities like shopping carts, escalator rails, door handles etc. Then touching your face, if you must scratch your nose when out and about, use your wrist or forearm.

Afook, care to elaborate on why fried foods are a no-no for this particular ailment (sore throat)?

I'm Chinese, 72, born/raised in Boston....it's something from the Chinese culture...when you have a sore throat, not to eat fried stuff...I think it aggravates the status of having a sore throat? Remember back when in China, they didn't have antibiotics, they used only herbs, and other means to cure certain ailments....such as acupuncture, etc, which the western world never heard of :-)

There is something above having a ' hot body ' when you have a sore throat, and fried food, potato chips, french fries is a nono...the elders tell you this, as a kid :-) So I have always followed this :-) Maybe, fried foods because of the oil intake into your body system isn't good? All I can say, this was instilled to me, as a child growing up, and I still follow such advice....

Iodine drops :-) Maybe that's why Chinese use salt to gargle, which has iodine in it , back when no such thing as iodine drops :-)

Iodine is added to salt isn't it? I would have thought that was a fairly recent thing, 1924 to be exact.

Sorry, not a doctor or a chemist :-)

All I can say is whenever I get a sore throat, I gargle with salt and take a few Difflam's, it works for me, and usually gone in a few days, and I don't indulge in any fried stuff :-)

I'm Chinese, 72, born/raised in Boston....it's something from the Chinese culture...when you have a sore throat, not to eat fried stuff...I think it aggravates the status of having a sore throat? Remember back when in China, they didn't have antibiotics, they used only herbs, and other means to cure certain ailments....such as acupuncture, etc, which the western world never heard of :-)

There is something above having a ' hot body ' when you have a sore throat, and fried food, potato chips, french fries is a nono...the elders tell you this, as a kid :-) So I have always followed this :-) Maybe, fried foods because of the oil intake into your body system isn't good? All I can say, this was instilled to me, as a child growing up, and I still follow such advice....

When I was a child the general teaching in Europe was hot tea hot soup, hot hot for sore throat.

Than 20 years later they changed and told cold....ice cream, cold milk, cold beer (hehehe no one told that) etc....

I don't know if anything of these helps, or if it is just a distraction and doesn't matter at all....Sure that ugly useless tea may have a strong placebo effect..

Iodine drops :-) Maybe that's why Chinese use salt to gargle, which has iodine in it , back when no such thing as iodine drops :-)

Iodine is added to salt isn't it? I would have thought that was a fairly recent thing, 1924 to be exact.

It was added to salt to prevent thyroid disorders. Way back when, iodine deficient people would get massively swollen thyroid gland (called a Goiter). In modern times with seafood a part of almost everyone's diet there is hardly ever a deficiency anymore.

Tea is good...it helps to cleanse the body...and it goes back 5000 yrs in China. They have teas and herbs for all ailments....only modern day, do we have pills'etc :-) But like many things, some work, and some don't...you either believe or not? Chinese believe that,

Bitter melon is suppose to help for cancer, I don't believe this and don't eat it, but my father-in-law eat it constantly...:-) But he died from a stroke, and not from the big C.....

"It was added to salt to prevent thyroid disorders. Way back when, iodine deficient people would get massively swollen thyroid gland (called a Goiter). In modern times with seafood a part of almost everyone's diet there is hardly ever a deficiency anymore."

I've seen this in Northern Thailand

My cure for sore throat is green tea with honey, lime juice and ginger

Zinc has been shown to shorten the duration and severity of respiratory infections. I take redoxan (vit c plus zinc, effervescent tablet. Available in most pharmacies) at first sign of a sort throat and it works wonders.

Also helpful for throat is hot ginger tea. Make it from real ginger, not those powders.

Zinc has been shown to shorten the duration and severity of respiratory infections. I take redoxan (vit c plus zinc, effervescent tablet. Available in most pharmacies) at first sign of a sort throat and it works wonders.

Also helpful for throat is hot ginger tea. Make it from real ginger, not those powders.

Not much evidence for the effectiveness of Zinc in shortening the duration of respiratory infections or sore throats but the power of placebo should not be underestimated! smile.png

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/zinc-for-colds/faq-20057769

I had a sore throat which I decided to ride out with strepsils and such. After a week I started to get a fever so I went down to the local hospital to see what they could do for me. An hour later I had been admitted and was put on an antibiotic drip with morphine shots for 3 days. Turns out that I my tonsils had ulcerated while I procrastinated about whether it was just a sore throat or something more serious. Not saying that will happen to the OP but it was one time that I can state where a sore throat wasn't just a sore throat.

I had a sore throat which I decided to ride out with strepsils and such. After a week I started to get a fever so I went down to the local hospital to see what they could do for me. An hour later I had been admitted and was put on an antibiotic drip with morphine shots for 3 days. Turns out that I my tonsils had ulcerated while I procrastinated about whether it was just a sore throat or something more serious. Not saying that will happen to the OP but it was one time that I can state where a sore throat wasn't just a sore throat.

What was the total cost of treating your ulcerated tonsils ?

if you go back to june-july there was a virus going round,i had a very bad soar throat for 10days + and a cough that lasted 8-10weeks.

i had to have steriods for 14days then browns mixture.

the posting on it has some good info.

Not much evidence for the effectiveness of Zinc in shortening the duration of respiratory infections or sore throats but the power of placebo should not be underestimated! smile.png

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/zinc-for-colds/faq-20057769

Actually there is evidence but the studies have been limited to serious respiratory infections in children in developing countries (there is grant money to study that -- no one's giving grants to study effect on common sore throat in adults!)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005978.pub2/abstract

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/119/6/1120.abstract

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/S3/S23

There are also several clinical trials underway, some already phase 3/4

http://apps.who.int/trialsearch/Trial2.aspx?trialid=IRCT201103025951N1

http://apps.who.int/trialsearch/Trial2.aspx?trialid=CTRI/2013/03/003463

http://apps.who.int/trialsearch/Trial2.aspx?trialid=CTRI/2011/07/001864

Do it natural and Thai

A big green smoothie

Put in blender and add water/ice up to your taste

- 2 bananas for the base and smoothness and vitamins

- 1 bottle of fresh namtam sot / palm juice --- Excellent for sore throat

- 1 spoon of honey --- Excellent for sore throat

- a dozen fresh green pepper --- Excellent for sore throat and for kick

- Ginger --- Excellent for sore throat and inflammation

- Bua bok / pennywort --- Excellent for sore throat

- one passion fruit ; full of vitamin C

Make a liter at least

After drinking it, you will have one last throat clearing and it will be GONE

Do it natural and Thai

A big green smoothie

Make a liter at least

Gone ?

Is that guaranteed ?

Where is the evidence ?

Do it natural and Thai

A big green smoothie

Make a liter at least

Gone ?

Is that guaranteed ?

Where is the evidence ?

Works every time for me and that's been for years

Every time I get a cold, it lasts maximum 2 days and thats a "bad one" otherwise regular sore throat is immediately cleared by my morning smoothie.

Archived