21 square meters,18000 btu daikin inverter smile

Plenty of power. Probably overkill. But, that will save you money in the long run. Inverter is the way to go. I used an 18,000 in a 30 meter room, and it worked well.

you mean overkill?how about 15000 btu?

15,000 would be adequate. Depends on your exposure, during the day but you say you want to use mostly at night, so not an issue.

The 'classic' Thai guesstimate for aircon sizing is 600-700 BTU per m2,

So your 21m2 room would need 12,600-14,700 BTU.

For a bedroom / night use the lower figure would be adequate unless you are a penguin.

Totally overkill - I use 9k for 26 sq meters and it keeps temp comfortable 24 hours a day year-round - so unless you are a lot more active than most at night believe 12k would be plenty - even if you want to have a covering.

Totally overkill - I use 9k for 26 sq meters and it keeps temp comfortable 24 hours a day year-round - so unless you are a lot more active than most at night believe 12k would be plenty - even if you want to have a covering.

Yea, my computer/office room in my house is real close to 26 sq meters also...it has a 8.4K BTU A/C in it. Turn that A/C on even in the hottest months and within 10 minutes the room is cooled down nicely and maintains the temp very nicely.

18K BTU is overkill for the OP's area. He should consider a 9 to 12K BTU A/C which should be more than enough. And actually an A/C that is way too big for an area can result in less comfortable cooling due to the nature in how the A/C will cycle on and off. Plus, a person just wasted money on a more expensive & oversized A/C.

Not going t comment on BTU - too many cooks in the kitchen there already :)

I will say this though: consider spending the extra 2K Baht or so for the Smart series inverters, which are significantly more energy efficient the the Smile series.

So I can go with 12000 btu should be fine right?

Yea, my computer/office room in my house is real close to 26 sq meters also...it has a 8.4K BTU A/C in it. Turn that A/C on even in the hottest months and within 10 minutes the room is cooled down nicely and maintains the temp very nicely.

18K BTU is overkill for the OP's area. He should consider a 9 to 12K BTU A/C which should be more than enough. And actually an A/C that is way too big for an area can result in less comfortable cooling due to the nature in how the A/C will cycle on and off. Plus, a person just wasted money on a more expensive & oversized A/C.

Smart worth for extra 2k?

Not going t comment on BTU - too many cooks in the kitchen there already :)

I will say this though: consider spending the extra 2K Baht or so for the Smart series inverters, which are significantly more energy efficient the the Smile series.

Not going t comment on BTU - too many cooks in the kitchen there already smile.png

Well, you say it's for a bedroom, where presumably it'll get more than just occasional use? If so, then yes, the energy savings are worth the extra 2K up front.

I would think so based on the OP's description of his area.

Alright, then I will go for smart series, thanks

Not going t comment on BTU - too many cooks in the kitchen there already smile.png

Well, you say it's for a bedroom, where presumably it'll get more than just occasional use? If so, then yes, the energy savings are worth the extra 2K up front.

Alright, then I will go for 12000 btu

I would think so based on the OP's description of his area.

And actually an A/C that is way too big for an area can result in less comfortable cooling due to the nature in how the A/C will cycle on and off. Plus, a person just wasted money on a more expensive & oversized A/C.

If he gets an inverter model, they don't cycle on/off they operate linearly. I have 9k, conventional AC, in 2 bedrooms about that size and works well. I have 18k in the master bedroom/office which is 55sqm and is marginal in the hottest time of year. But that is on the 2nd floor where all the hot air from downstairs comes up and congregates. smile.png 12k should easily satisfy the requirements.

I see, then now I am no worries to get daikin 12000 inverter btu, thanks

And actually an A/C that is way too big for an area can result in less comfortable cooling due to the nature in how the A/C will cycle on and off. Plus, a person just wasted money on a more expensive & oversized A/C.

If he gets an inverter model, they don't cycle on/off they operate linearly. I have 9k, conventional AC, in 2 bedrooms about that size and works well. I have 18k in the master bedroom/office which is 55sqm and is marginal in the hottest time of year. But that is on the 2nd floor where all the hot air from downstairs comes up and congregates. smile.png 12k should easily satisfy the requirements.

If it helps, I have a Daikin Smart Inverter 12,000 BTU cooling an ~19 sqm bedroom, with 5.5M high ceilings, and it does the job just fine - at night :)

There's generally not many heat sources in a bedroom, and they're generally only on during night time when there's no sunlight issues either. If it will be needed during the day, or you have, say, a 500 watt plasma TV that's on for hours, you might want to consider going larger though.

If it helps, I have a Daikin Smart Inverter 12,000 BTU cooling an ~19 sqm bedroom, with 5.5M high ceilings, and it does the job just fine - at night :)

There's generally not many heat sources in a bedroom, and they're generally only on during night time when there's no sunlight issues either. If it will be needed during the day, or you have, say, a 500 watt plasma TV that's on for hours, you might want to consider going larger though.

I like the 'at night' clause...

A hot weekend afternoon would have a different outcome...

If it helps, I have a Daikin Smart Inverter 12,000 BTU cooling an ~19 sqm bedroom, with 5.5M high ceilings, and it does the job just fine - at night smile.png

Correct... I have one room in my house (small family room), 30sqm, 3.5M ceilings, North facing (no windows to the South, one door to the West), where 24,000 BTU is woefully inadequate during the day. I wonder what all the experts here suggesting ultra low BTU's have to say about that wink.png

BTW: it's right next to the bedroom I posted about above too.

I have another bedroom, 24sqm, South facing glass (using Solartag plus with blockout curtains, Gyroc thermaline ceilings, and double brick cavity walls), where 24,000 BTU is only just enough during the daytime (it can take 30+ mins to reach 25c at 35-37c ambient). And that's 1,000 BTU/sqm (!) At night time it's fine though - less than 10 mins to achieve 25c.

Edited by IMHO

If it helps, I have a Daikin Smart Inverter 12,000 BTU cooling an ~19 sqm bedroom, with 5.5M high ceilings, and it does the job just fine - at night smile.png

Correct... I have one room in my house (small family room), 30sqm, 3.5M ceilings, North facing (no windows to the South, one door to the West), where 24,000 BTU is woefully inadequate during the day. I wonder what all the experts here suggesting ultra low BTU's have to say about that ;)

A layer of Viva board on 2-inch studs and hollow at bottom and top to insulate the West facing brick wall from the afternoon sun would help your air-con.

Correct... I have one room in my house (small family room), 30sqm, 3.5M ceilings, North facing (no windows to the South, one door to the West), where 24,000 BTU is woefully inadequate during the day. I wonder what all the experts here suggesting ultra low BTU's have to say about that wink.png

A layer of Viva board on 2-inch studs and hollow at bottom and top to insulate the West facing brick wall from the afternoon sun would help your air-con.

You replied quicker than I could edit smile.png

The house in question uses double brick walls, with cladding on the outside, all ceilings are Gyproc Thermaline, there's foil under the CPAC Monier roof tiles, and all glass that catches the sun is solartag+

The family room has a few heat sources: 65" TV, Home Theatre System, IPTV box, Truevsions box, PS4, a WiFi router and a 21q fridge. These are what make the difference... Once the cool season is over, I'll be replacing the living room unit with a 36,000 BTU Inverter - I'm tired of having only marginal cooling when I need it the most.

Edited by IMHO

My ceiling is 3.5 m , no computer or tv in bedroom.

Edited by tommyuk77

i am interesting in buy this unit. Is it quite? Can i ask you how much you pay for it?

at the moment i am thinking to buy the daikin smart inverter or the mitsubishi MSY-GK13VA

thanks in advance

i am interesting in buy this unit. Is it quite? Can i ask you how much you pay for it?

at the moment i am thinking to buy the daikin smart inverter or the mitsubishi MSY-GK13VA

thanks in advance

My friend just installed this Daikin Smart inverter unit, 11,900 BTU last week for Bt27,000.