90 Day Report - Is Retirement Visa Exempt?

I think it's rather basic. The only people who do not have to do 90-day reporting are people with permanent residence.

Not sure what you mean by permanent residence. Those holding permanent residency do not have to do the 90 day reports.

Anybody on a temporary permit to stay must report if they stay in the country longer than 90 days.

Yes, I applied for the retirement visa right away and wondered about the 15 month length of time. Thanks 4 the info.

It's confusing as hell, and a lot of wrong terminology such as 'Retirement Visa' info online does not help us, but it's important you get across the detail of everything if you want to retire here, as any mistakes can be costly and extremely inconvenient to fix! Remember that this circus will happen every year until you die, so get it sorted out in your head now and save yourself aggro next year.

Also, make sure you have all the paperwork and photocopies you need and sign everything, always. If you stuff that up, and the sarge on duty is in a bad mood, it's back to the end of the long queue you go! Which usually means coming back the next day.

Yes it is confusing.

The passport visa page says: Retirement, dated 19 Aug. 2015.

Extension of stay permitted up to 5 Nov. 2016

Does anyone know how Op was given 15 months extension of stay? I renew my retirement visa/extension annually and always get the same date, in my case it's July 31st 2015 - July 31st 2016. How does someone get 15 months?

I applied for a retirement visa when I arrived and they just added my 3 permission to say months to it.

Thanks , might as well purchase it while there.

What you may know but hasn't been pointed out yet is that if you leave without a valid re-entry visa your extension to stay based on retirement becomes Null and Void.

So if you plan to come back this can become a real problem for you as you may have to re-apply for another 90 day visa first, and like you did the first time, and then go through the whole process again applying for an extension to stay based on retirement.

• Like 1

Many people like to keep a valid single re-entry permit in their passport in case of a sudden emergency which requires an urgent departure. Something like a family crisis such as sudden illness etc.
The cost of a single re-entry permit is 1000 Bht which some consider good value.

I'm not sure about the provincial airports like Utapao or Hat Yai, but the 4 main international gateway airports, BKK, DMK, CNX, HKT all have Immigration officers on hand to handle re-entry permits. Chiang Mai travellers should note that they are open for all flights regardless of the hour. In CNX and BKK I can confirm you do it AFTER you go through check in and airside security (departures level) while it won't hurt to get it done in advance, especially if you're the type who runs late for your flights, it's worth knowing that you can get it done at these airports so long as there are flights departing, no matter if it's outside office hours. The downside of getting it done too far ahead of time, or just in case is that you might not use it before your next extension date, and then you've wasted THB 1000.

Related to this, I keep a few spare mugshot photographs handy for emergencies like this, photographs that satisfy precise government dimensions and all the weird 'rules' about smiling and hats glasses, halloween masks, and not giving the finger, might be a bit harder to arrange at 11 pm or 5 am at an airport near you.

Edited by dhream

Thanks guys,

guess I will go and do it.

Yes, you should go and do this and may I recommend that the first time or two you do this in person.

This is because you will never be considered a True Farang unless you suffer at least one day at a Thai Immigration Office feeling totally lost, confused, and like a complete fool.

• Like 2

I think the OP probably arrived in Thailand on a Visa exempt.

Went to an agent who got him a 90 day Non Imm O Visa and an extension of stay based on retirement.

15 months total.

Immigration officials, Embassies and agents often refer to anything other than a Tourist Visa as a Retirement Visa or Marriage Visa.

Not being native English speakers, it's easier than saying 'an extension of stay based on............'

The American Embassy website is one of the culprits.

They offer Retirement and Marriage Visas. Then we deal with the aftermath after the hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 2

Thanks guys,

Yes, you should go and do this and may I recommend that the first time or two you do this in person.

This is because you will never be considered a True Farang unless you suffer at least one day at a Thai Immigration Office feeling totally lost, confused, and like a complete fool.

Haha goldbuggy (and I identify with your nickname totally!) I was on another 90 day thread earlier, and it seems the new online experience is designed to make you feel just as dazed and confused as the real thing without leaving home!

What they need to do now is widen the 'retirement extension' vlidity for 2 or 5 years, meaning, you get the extension less, but with the cost increasing x2 or x5 to reflect that increased extension lifespan. They would achieve the same revenue, but reduce the work for us and them by a factor of four.

The only drawback is people of limited savings would have to stump up a lot more each time, but maybe they could stay with the annual option? Either way, renewing every year, especially for retirees, is overkill for us, and expensive on a cost/benefits ratio for them.

• Like 2

Sorry but isn't an O-A visa a retirement visa? It's certainly called that on the embassy websites.

Classic example of accepting what your Government tells you as gospel. They are WRONG.

That's not a swipe at you, we've all been jerked around by our respective Governments, just be wary, and double check everything they say independently if humanly possible.

Edited by dhream

90 day reports are free. Did you use an agent? I must say for someone who has already got your extension, you don't seem to be too familiar with the whole process.

Agents are a big waste of money unless you are earning so much by the hour, or you have a year to live or something, and it's just not worth your while to show up and DIY, also, you'll know nothing about the basics, which can ultimately disadvantage you down the track, because... this is Thailand!

I think the OP probably arrived in Thailand on a Visa exempt.

Went to an agent who got him a 90 day Non Imm O Visa and an extension of stay based on retirement.

15 months total.

Immigration officials, Embassies and agents often refer to anything other than a Tourist Visa as a Retirement Visa or Marriage Visa.

Not being native English speakers, it's easier than saying 'an extension of stay based on............'

The American Embassy website is one of the culprits.

They offer Retirement and Marriage Visas. Then we deal with the aftermath after the hit-the-fan.gif

Yes, this is exactly what happened

Yes, I applied for the retirement visa right away and wondered about the 15 month length of time. Thanks 4 the info.

It's confusing as hell, and a lot of wrong terminology such as 'Retirement Visa' info online does not help us, but it's important you get across the detail of everything if you want to retire here, as any mistakes can be costly and extremely inconvenient to fix! Remember that this circus will happen every year until you die, so get it sorted out in your head now and save yourself aggro next year.

Also, make sure you have all the paperwork and photocopies you need and sign everything, always. If you stuff that up, and the sarge on duty is in a bad mood, it's back to the end of the long queue you go! Which usually means coming back the next day.

Yes it is confusing.

The passport visa page says: Retirement, dated 19 Aug. 2015.

Extension of stay permitted up to 5 Nov. 2016

The "Retirement" stamp refers to the fact that you met the requirements for an "Extension of Stay" (not a visa) based on retirement.

If you wish to travel outside Thailand you will need to obtain a "re-entry" permit to keep the "Extension of stay" alive during its period of validity.

If one obtains a multiple entry extension of stay based on retirement in their home country does one need to obtain a "re entry" permit at the airport to keep the extension of stay alive when coming and going from Thailand during that 12 months?

I think it's rather basic. The only people who do not have to do 90-day reporting are people with permanent residence.

Not sure what you mean by permanent residence. Those holding permanent residency do not have to do the 90 day reports.

Anybody on a temporary permit to stay must report if they stay in the country longer than 90 days.

He said what you said, only different, or to use Thaiglish :D Same same but different.

I understand PR here is a very rare thing, but happy to stand corrected.

I have never met, or even heard of anyone with PR in Thailand.

I may be wrong, but even for spouse of Thai this is not a given?

BTW if you're retired, and you marry a Thai, do NOT give up your retirement extension to get a Marriage extension, you will double your bureaucratic aggravation every year. The only benefit is you need to show THB 400,000 per year instead of THB 800,000 per year, which to me is counterintuitive, but maybe they're assuming your Thai wife is gonna chip in Hahaha! RIGHT!

• Like 1

90 day reports are free. Did you use an agent? I must say for someone who has already got your extension, you don't seem to be too familiar with the whole process.

Agents are a big waste of money unless you are earning so much by the hour, or you have a year to live or something, and it's just not worth your while to show up and DIY, also, you'll know nothing about the basics, which can ultimately disadvantage you down the track, because... this is Thailand!

I was in Thailand 2002 to 2005 and did it all myself.

It was such a hassle, I did not want to go through that experience again.

Whatever, I paid the agent, it was well worth it (this time around).

Back then, we didn't have to do the 90 day report so was just asking to see I could do this myself without going back to that agent.

He said what you said, only different, or to use Thaiglish biggrin.png Same same but different.

I understand PR here is a very rare thing, but happy to stand corrected.

I have never met, or even heard of anyone with PR in Thailand.

I may be wrong, but even for spouse of Thai this is not a given?

BTW if you're retired, and you marry a Thai, do NOT give up your retirement extension to get a Marriage extension, you will double your bureaucratic aggravation every year. The only benefit is you need to show THB 400,000 per year instead of THB 800,000 per year, which to me is counterintuitive, but maybe they're assuming your Thai wife is gonna chip in Hahaha! RIGHT!

Have no plans to marry during this period. One divorce was enough for me; wouldn't want to experience that again.

• Like 1

"If one obtains a multiple entry extension of stay based on retirement in their home country does one need to obtain a "re entry" permit at the airport to keep the extension of stay alive when coming and going from Thailand during that 12 months?"

I moved this quote because there are limits on how many comments one can make in in those boxy things...

No, your multiple entry is exactly that, you can come and go as you please within the 12 months. No further re-entry application is needed.

I have done both single and multiple entry stamps, so I am talking from experience. It is immaterial where the stamp was issued. So long as you are referring to a Thai Consular issued re-entry permit, and not your home country government re-entry permit, it is valid in Thailand.

• Like 1

"If one obtains a multiple entry extension of stay based on retirement in their home country does one need to obtain a "re entry" permit at the airport to keep the extension of stay alive when coming and going from Thailand during that 12 months?"

I moved this quote because there are limits on how many comments one can make in in those boxy things...

No, your multiple entry is exactly that, you can come and go as you please within the 12 months. No further re-entry application is needed.

I have done both single and multiple entry stamps, so I am talking from experience. It is immaterial where the stamp was issued. So long as you are referring to a Thai Consular issued re-entry permit, and not your home country government re-entry permit, it is valid in Thailand.

Wrong!

Re-Entry permits can only be issued by Thai Immigration Officers at Thai Immigration Offices, some Thai airports and a few Thai land borders.

A multiple entry visa does not require a re-entry permit whilst the visa remains valid. The clue is in the name!

Re - Entry permits are NEVER issued by a Thai Consulates or Embassy's.

• Like 2

Thanks guys,

Haha goldbuggy (and I identify with your nickname totally!) I was on another 90 day thread earlier, and it seems the new online experience is designed to make you feel just as dazed and confused as the real thing without leaving home!

What they need to do now is widen the 'retirement extension' vlidity for 2 or 5 years, meaning, you get the extension less, but with the cost increasing x2 or x5 to reflect that increased extension lifespan. They would achieve the same revenue, but reduce the work for us and them by a factor of four.

The only drawback is people of limited savings would have to stump up a lot more each time, but maybe they could stay with the annual option? Either way, renewing every year, especially for retirees, is overkill for us, and expensive on a cost/benefits ratio for them.

I'll have to take you word on this as my Thai Wife won't let me try this Online Experience. I have asked and asked but she just looks at me like I am crazy as she doesn't trust anything new when it come to Immigration, or anything that could make things more complicated than it already is. So last time she went to renew my 90 Day without me.

And like the Old Joke says: "You know you have been married too long when your wife wants to go someplace and you don't care where....as long as you don't have to go along with her.".

I was in Thailand 2002 to 2005 and did it all myself.

It was such a hassle, I did not want to go through that experience again.

Whatever, I paid the agent, it was well worth it (this time around).

Back then, we didn't have to do the 90 day report so was just asking to see I could do this myself without going back to that agent.

Another thing about agents, and I have touched on this above, is you remove yourself from the loop, and that is not a good thing when you're talking about your right to remain in Thailand.

I'm not one of the paranoid conspiracy theorists on this board, but I will say that if your agent is on some dodgy deal with Sgt. Bribeasy unbeknown to you, and the sarge or the agent goes down, then, lo and behold you may find your visa has been Cancelled without your knowledge, and what's worse YOU are responsible, always, not the agent, for any stuff ups, because all governments see it like that anyway. And the double whammy of that is... this is Thailand.

Another thing, you can be sure agents are not telling the older gentlemen here, that the 90 day report is now online, and in any case a lot of them can't use a computer anyway, so it's moot, but the point I'm making is that if you blindly trust an agent, and never keep across the visa situation (which has already changed dramatically under the junta) then you could be charged for stuff you might soon be able to do online for free. Or worse, fall foul of some new law that the agent does not know, or care about.

Some have valid reasons for using an agent. But if simply 'avoiding the hassle' is the main reason, and you are not time-pressed, and of sound mind and body, then you are throwing significant sums of money away IMO.

Wrong!

Re-Entry permits can only be issued by Thai Immigration Officers at Thai Immigration Offices, some Thai airports and a few Thai land borders.

A multiple entry visa does not require a re-entry permit whilst the visa remains valid. The clue is in the name!

I am wrong only in terms of terminology, I used 'permit' and not 'visa'. My advice above concurs with your second sentence.

Given the bureaucratic minefield Thai immigration is, even a stickler for detail like me is going to go astray at times. Visas, extensions, permits, yada yada. The bottom line in this particular instance, is if the stamp was a Thai Government ISSUED multiple-entry stamp/visa/permit/whatever and NOT a foreign stamp then he was good to go! Or come back, for that matter.

And perhaps not at his whim, but every 90 days -minimum, there is no stated maximum. However that was not the question. He asked if he needed a re-entry permit, he doesn't.

Here is the explanation of the difference from Thai Legal site:

The 1-Year Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant Thai visa is issued to foreigners who wish to obtain a long term visa stay to Thailand. The issuance of this visa mainly depends on the purpose of the application. This type of visa is valid for use within one year from the date of issue and can be extended to 3 months on or before the visa expiration date.

However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel.

So by definition, as underlined it IS a re-entry visa that 'permits' re-entry. But thanks for pointing that out, I tend to be a stickler for the correct terminology myself.

Edited by dhream

Wrong!

I am wrong only in terms of terminology, I used 'permit' and not 'visa'. My advice above concurs with your second sentence.

Given the bureaucratic minefield Thai immigration is, even a stickler for detail like me is going to go astray at times. Visas, extensions, permits, yada yada. The bottom line in this particular instance, is if the stamp was a Thai Government ISSUED multiple-entry stamp/visa/permit/whatever and NOT a foreign stamp then he was good to go! Or come back, for that matter.

Here is the explanation of the difference from Thai Legal site:

The 1-Year Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant Thai visa is issued to foreigners who wish to obtain a long term visa stay to Thailand. The issuance of this visa mainly depends on the purpose of the application. This type of visa is valid for use within one year from the date of issue and can be extended to 3 months on or before the visa expiration date.

However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel.

So by definition, as underlined it IS a re-entry visa that 'permits' re-entry. But thanks for pointing that out, I tend to be a stickler for the correct terminology myself.

Relying on commercial websites for accurate information is a very bad idea! Even that extract contains a glaring error!

There is no such thing as a "Re-Entry Visa" which is not even mentioned in that extract from the c*ap commercial web site referred to.

"Foreign" stamps are of no use when attempting to enter Thailand. Only genuine visas issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate anywhere in the world are recognised as being valid. Non of these genuine visas include a "re-entry permit"

And perhaps not at his whim, but every 90 days -minimum, there is no stated maximum. However that was not the question. He asked if he needed a re-entry permit, he doesn't.

Brilliant!

That makes it as clear as mud for everyone then.

Have you considered becoming a politician?

Edited by Faz

"You DO still have go through the whole money in the bank thing again or get your Stat dec. from the Embassy. Produce photograph, application forms, bank letter, etc etc etc. "

What does "get your Stat dec. from the Embassy" mean?