90 Day Report - Is Retirement Visa Exempt?

I didn't know what you meant by retirement visa. People call extensions of stay, multiple entry non-o visas and OA visas retirement visas.

You have to make a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you are able to stay that long.

Immigration at an airport do not look for 90 day reports much less fine people for not doing them.

If you leave after staying longer than 90 days you would be fined for not doing the reports when you do your first report or when you have any business to do with an an immigration.office.

I do not plan on traveling outside of the country.

Arrived here 25 July 2015 and applied for and received a 15 month retirement visa.

Will probably have to go back after the 15 months and reapply for another 15 month retirement visa.

Is this when they will get me?

No one gets 15 months at a time, and there is no such thing as a 'Retirement Visa' it is strictly a 12 month extension on your initial Non Immigrant O Visa granted on the grounds of 'Retirement'.

The '15 months' you can see is because you have incorrectly added your initial 90 day extension of stay to the 12 month 'Retirement' extension they ultimately granted you. They are separate concessions entirely.

90 day report as already mentioned, is now online, so it's a ten minute job from home, but do always report at least a week in advance to allow for glitches, obscure govt holidays, etc. You will get a confirmation on your screen when your report is accepted (file an electronic copy of that) and an email when your report is confirmed 'legit', you need to print this out and carry it in your passport at all times.

Also, what do you mean by 'get you'? If you are always on time, and your entry is legal, no one will 'get you'. if you arrived on 25 July, you would likely have been granted your 12 months in mid/late September, so you will have your first 90 day report due around Xmas, make sure you know the date, and don't miss it or it's gonna be an expensive and cheerless festive season.

Finally, you do not have to leave Thailand to get your retirement extension renewed. You DO still have go through the whole money in the bank thing again or get your Stat dec. from the Embassy. Produce photograph, application forms, bank letter, etc etc etc. Every year.

Actually I have seen them vary in length, from 12 months, to 13 and sometimes 14 months. I am not sure why that is, but I have seen such Extensions with my own eyes.

Jimmpy:

Just to clarify for you, as it is important, what many of the posts above are saying is that you must get the terminology correct, else it all gets dangerously confusing.

• You do not have a 'Retirement Visa', there is no such thing
  • You have a '12 month Extension of Stay' based upon the fact that you are .Retired. (I say 12 months but understand your dates may give you longer)
  • I urge you to do the 90 Day reporting, it is very important. If you do online or by post, observe the time limitations for submission xx Days prior etc.

My Non-O VISA is stamped NON "O" Retirement (words in Thai) and was issued as a visa by Chaengwattana Immigration Div 1. I then went to another desk where it was stamped "Used" and I was given a 3 month permission to stay.

Estrada

"My Non-O VISA is stamped NON "O" Retirement (words in Thai) and was issued as a visa by Chaengwattana Immigration Div 1. I then went to another desk where it was stamped "Used" and I was given a 3 month permission to stay."

Sounds as though you "converted" a visa exempt or tourist visa to non"O" entry which cost 2000 Bht.

This process can only be done in Bangkok.

If you plan to remain in Thailand you will , toward the end of the 90 day stay you were given, have to apply for a 12 month "extension of stay" (it is not a visa) based on retirement.

Sorry but isn't an O-A visa a retirement visa? It's certainly called that on the embassy websites.

An O/A visa is a completely different animal ! Which is, in fact, a "long stay visa"

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Sorry it's not a completely different animal. You need to be over 50 and not work. Hmm. Sounds a lot like retired to me. And it's advertised on many Thai embassy/consulate Web sites as a Retirement visa. Edited by swoods58

Sorry but isn't an O-A visa a retirement visa? It's certainly called that on the embassy websites.

An O/A visa is a completely different animal ! Which is, in fact, a "long stay visa"

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Sorry it's not a completely different animal. You need to be over 50 and not work. Hmm. Sounds a lot like retired to me. And it's advertised on many Thai embassy/consulate Web sites as a Retirement visa.

How many of the population of your country of origin "retire" at 50?

The MFA is the source of accurate descriptions of Thai visas.

One is not required not to work whilst holding an O/A visa.

Work can be undertaken outside Thailand .

There is no such thing as a Marriage or Retirement Visa.

I'll attempt to give basic explanation.

Visas are issued to match the purpose of the visit.

Yes, many government departments refer to a particular Visa type as a Marriage or Retirement Visa, but in my opinion that is only to make the choice of the correct Visa obvious for the visitor.

Visas are only issued by Embassies/Consulates outside Thailand borders.

What is the purpose of your visit?

I am married to a Thai and want to visit, live in Thailand.

Then you need a Non Imm O visa, single or multi entry. (Often referred to as a Marriage Visa) to match the purpose of your visit.

What is the purpose of your visit?

I want to spend some time in Thailand or possibly retire there.

Then you need the Non Imm O-A multi entry Visa. (Often referred to as a Long Stay or Retirement Visa) to match the purpose of your visit.

Foreigners are only allowed a stay of 90 days in Thailand. You must either leave Thailand or report to a local Immigration office. The conditions of the Visa will dictate which you should do.

After entering Thailand on a particular type of Visa, the local Immigration can extend the permission to stay that your Visa allowed.

A Visa has an expiry date, it cannot be extended. Only the permission to stay can be extended.

Most expats living in Thailand either extend their permission to stay by virtue of either being married to a Thai or Retirement.

An extension of stay based on Marriage.

An extension of stay based on Retirement.

You can only get these types of extension if you originally held a Non Imm O type Visa.

If you held a multiple entry Visa, then when that Visa expires, so to the right to multiple entry.

Once you get an extension of permission to stay, if you intend to leave Thailand during that period of stay, you must get a re-entry 'permit' otherwise that extension ends if you exit Thailand. Single and multi entry permits are available.

Sometimes a foreigner may enter Thailand on a Visa exempt or Tourist Visa, then decide he wants to stay longer or retire here.

It is possible to do a Visa conversion in Bangkok for this purpose (provided you meet the financial requirements).

Your current Visa is converted to a single Non Imm O and subsequently an extension, giving a total of 15 months permission to stay and 90 day reports must be made to Immigration. This is the procedure the OP undertook.

It is the exception to the rule of Visas being issued only outside of Thailand and is only done to convert a Visa type that otherwise wouldn't qualify for an extension of stay based on Marriage or Retirement.

Some foreigners enter Thailand on the wrong type of Visa and it doesn't match the purpose for their visit.

Because many find the conversion procedure complicated they quite often employ an legal agent to perform the process.

The typical cost is between 40,000 - 50,000 baht.

It is important to therefore try to understand the difference between a Visa and an Extension and the different conditions and criteria, also to try and use the correct terminology when seeking advice from others on TV.

If you don't know the cards your holding in your hand, how do you expect others to help you play the game!

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

Sorry it's not a completely different animal. You need to be over 50 and not work. Hmm. Sounds a lot like retired to me. And it's advertised on many Thai embassy/consulate Web sites as a Retirement visa.

555 well I retired at 54. And its not a requirement to be 50, just over 50.

And a Long-Stay visa ain't much use if you're working back home is it. It's a Retirement Visa.

whistling.gif No an O-A retirement visa is not exempt from the 90 day reporting rule.

If you have an O-A retirement visa the first time you enter the country with that visa you will be given a "permitted to stay" stamp for one year from your date of entry.

However, this does not exclude you from 90 day reporting if you stay continuously in Thailand without exiting the country.

In fact everyone staying in country for longer than 90 days must report their address....regardless of what visa they are on.

When you enter the country on a multi entry one year non O visa (not a O-A visa) you will only get a permitted to stay stamp of 90 days.....you must leave the country to get a second entry on such a visa.

That is why you do not need to do 90 day reporting on a non O multi entry visa, because each entry is only good for a 90 day "permitted to stay" entry.

But with an O-A visa your first entry is a one year "permitted to stay" entry, which being longer than 90 days DOES require a 90 reporting.

90 day reporting and visas are two different subjects and anyone who stays legally longer in Thailand than 90 days is required to file a 90 day resident report each 90 days of residence in Thailand.

The only exception to that rule, as far as I know, is if you become a permanent resident of Thailand.

P.S. I know what a O-A visa is......but some embassies insist on calling it a "long stay retirement visa".

Neither a Non O retirement extension or a O-A retirement Visa prohibit a person working outside of Thailand, your "retirement" is only in Thailand, so you could work legally outside of Thailand as long as you performed no work in Thailand on either of them.

That would be hard to do, however.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

And a Long-Stay visa ain't much use if you're working back home is it. It's a Retirement Visa.

It's people like you that make it even harder and more confusing for the normal TV member, by criticising certain members that have a better knowledge and understanding of Visas, extensions, and Immigration matters, who try to help by sharing there knowledge.

Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of where exactly on a Non Imm O-A Visa it states 'Retirement Visa'.

It may be the best choice of Visa for someone who intends to retire in Thailand, as it has the potential to remain in Thailand for a longer period than other Visa options (long stay) with the advantage of reporting every 90 days without leaving the Country.

Thailand does not offer Settlement, Marriage or Retirement Visas, because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time.

A Non Imm O Visa is also used by many for other purposes other than retirement that use Thailand as a hub for visiting other Asian Countries.

Some of them working not retired.

• Like 1

The simple answer is YES, you must to do the 90 days report base on your Extension. if you are planning to go out of Thailand you should apply for a re-entry permit. I always apply for my re-entry the same day I got my Extension just to be ahead of the game.

It's people like you that make it even harder and more confusing for the normal TV member, by criticising certain members that have a better knowledge and understanding of Visas, extensions, and Immigration matters, who try to help by sharing there knowledge.

Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of where exactly on a Non Imm O-A Visa it states 'Retirement Visa'.

It may be the best choice of Visa for someone who intends to retire in Thailand, as it has the potential to remain in Thailand for a longer period than other Visa options (long stay) with the advantage of reporting every 90 days without leaving the Country.

Thailand does not offer Settlement, Marriage or Retirement Visas, because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time.

A Non Imm O Visa is also used by many for other purposes other than retirement that use Thailand as a hub for visiting other Asian Countries.

Sorry but I have not criticised anyone. But you have now. I'm not the one who said it was "a completely different animal". You are. And again you post incorrect information - "because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time". O-As give 1 year permission to stay

Anyway enough said. Believe who you like. As other people have posted in this thread, O-As are generally known as Retirement visas.

Sorry but I have not criticised anyone. But you have now. I'm not the one who said it was "a completely different animal". You are. And again you post incorrect information - "because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time". O-As give 1 year permission to stay

Anyway enough said. Believe who you like. As other people have posted in this thread, O-As are generally known as Retirement visas.

Sorry, your now posting quotes from both oncearugge and myself in the same reply box.

I did not say it was 'a completely different animal'.

But to quote what I did say and your reply;

And again you post incorrect information - "because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time". O-As give 1 year permission to stay

Certain Countries offer a Retirement Visa to Immigrants.

What do you think Non Imm means on a Visa for Thailand? Non Immigrant status. In other words Thailand does not allow a foreigner to permanently live in their Country. They offer no such Visa. Your stay is always subject to and limited to the law under certain conditions.

Section 35 of the Thai Immigration Act states;

Section 35 : The Director General or the competent official deputized by the Director General shall have the authority to permit the alien , who entered to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under Section 34 , to remain in the Kingdom under any prescribed conditions. The periods of time which one is authorized to stay in the Kingdom are as Follows :

1. Not exceeding 30 days for a case under Section 34 (4) , (8) and ( 9 )

2. Not exceeding 90 days for a case under Section 34 (3)

3. Not exceeding one year for a case under Section 34 (5) , (10), (11) , (12), (13) , (14) and (15)

4. Not exceeding two years for a case under Section 34 (6)

5. As deemed necessary for a case under Section 34 (1) and (2)

6. As deemed appropriate by the Commission of Investment Promotion , for a case under Section 34 (7) If it is deemed necessary that the aliens have to stay in the Kingdom Longer than the period of time prescribed in the paragraphs (1) (2) (3) and (4) the Director General shall consider granting the aliens extension of stay for a period not exceeding one year for each time. After granting permission , the Director General shall report to the Commission for their information , with the reason , within seven days from the date of granting. Each time when applying for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom , the alien shall submit an application and pay the fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. While waiting for directives the alien may be permitted to stay.

As far as Thailand is concerned all types of Non Imm O Visas are for the purpose of Tourists under section 34 (3)

Section 34 : aliens entering into the kingdom for a temporary stay may enter for the below listed activities ;

1. Diplomatic or Consular Missions.

2. Performance of official duties.

3. Touring

4. Sporting

5. Business

6. Investing under the concurrence of the Ministries and Departments concerned.

7. Investing or other activities relating to investing subject to the provisions of the law on investment promotion.

8. Transit journey.

9. Being the person in charge of the crew of a conveyance coming to port, station , or area in the Kingdom.

10. Study or observation.

11. Mass media.

12. Missionary work under the concurrence of the Ministries and departments concerned.

13. Scientific research or training or teach in a Research Institute in the Kingdom.

14. The practice of skilled handicraft or as a specialist

15. Other activities as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations

If you didn't take my statement out of context and read my earlier post, I stated 'permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time........you then either report to a local Immigration office or leave and re-enter Thailand to reset the next 90 day permission to stay.

Sorry, your now posting quotes from both oncearugge and myself in the same reply box.

I did not say it was 'a completely different animal'.

But to quote what I did say and your reply;

And again you post incorrect information - "because permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time". O-As give 1 year permission to stay

Certain Countries offer a Retirement Visa to Immigrants.

What do you think Non Imm means on a Visa for Thailand? Non Immigrant status. In other words Thailand does not allow a foreigner to permanently live in their Country. They offer no such Visa. Your stay is always subject to and limited to the law under certain conditions.

Section 35 of the Thai Immigration Act states;

Section 35 : The Director General or the competent official deputized by the Director General shall have the authority to permit the alien , who entered to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under Section 34 , to remain in the Kingdom under any prescribed conditions. The periods of time which one is authorized to stay in the Kingdom are as Follows :

1. Not exceeding 30 days for a case under Section 34 (4) , (8) and ( 9 )

2. Not exceeding 90 days for a case under Section 34 (3)

3. Not exceeding one year for a case under Section 34 (5) , (10), (11) , (12), (13) , (14) and (15)

4. Not exceeding two years for a case under Section 34 (6)

5. As deemed necessary for a case under Section 34 (1) and (2)

6. As deemed appropriate by the Commission of Investment Promotion , for a case under Section 34 (7) If it is deemed necessary that the aliens have to stay in the Kingdom Longer than the period of time prescribed in the paragraphs (1) (2) (3) and (4) the Director General shall consider granting the aliens extension of stay for a period not exceeding one year for each time. After granting permission , the Director General shall report to the Commission for their information , with the reason , within seven days from the date of granting. Each time when applying for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom , the alien shall submit an application and pay the fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. While waiting for directives the alien may be permitted to stay.

As far as Thailand is concerned all types of Non Imm O Visas are for the purpose of Tourists under section 34 (3)

Section 34 : aliens entering into the kingdom for a temporary stay may enter for the below listed activities ;

1. Diplomatic or Consular Missions.

2. Performance of official duties.

3. Touring

4. Sporting

5. Business

6. Investing under the concurrence of the Ministries and Departments concerned.

7. Investing or other activities relating to investing subject to the provisions of the law on investment promotion.

8. Transit journey.

9. Being the person in charge of the crew of a conveyance coming to port, station , or area in the Kingdom.

10. Study or observation.

11. Mass media.

12. Missionary work under the concurrence of the Ministries and departments concerned.

13. Scientific research or training or teach in a Research Institute in the Kingdom.

14. The practice of skilled handicraft or as a specialist

15. Other activities as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations

If you didn't take my statement out of context and read my earlier post, I stated 'permission to stay in Thailand is restricted to 90 days at a time........you then either report to a local Immigration office or leave and re-enter Thailand to reset the next 90 day permission to stay.

My apologies. I thought the 2 posts were by you. I stand corrected.