90 Day Report - Is Retirement Visa Exempt?

No visa / extension of stay is exempt, when your longer as 90 days in Thailand you will have to report.

Thanks Robblok.

First one is coming do next week.

I will be here 4 several years and thought I might just let it go and pay the fine when I leave.

Saw that as an option somewhere in here the other day.

I didn't know what you meant by retirement visa. People call extensions of stay, multiple entry non-o visas and OA visas retirement visas.

You have to make a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you are able to stay that long.

Immigration at an airport do not look for 90 day reports much less fine people for not doing them.

If you leave after staying longer than 90 days you would be fined for not doing the reports when you do your first report or when you have any business to do with an an immigration.office.

I didn't know what you meant by retirement visa. People call extensions of stay, multiple entry non-o visas and OA visas retirement visas.

You have to make a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you are able to stay that long.

Immigration at an airport do not look for 90 day reports much less fine people for not doing them.

If you leave after staying longer than 90 days you would be fined for not doing the reports when you do your first report or when you have any business to do with an an immigration.office.

I do not plan on traveling outside of the country.

Arrived here 25 July 2015 and applied for and received a 15 month retirement visa.

Will probably have to go back after the 15 months and reapply for another 15 month retirement visa.

Is this when they will get me?

You applied for and got a one year extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa. You will have to apply for new one before it ends.

When you go in to apply for the extension they will certainly notice that you never made a 90 day report and could fine you up to the max fine of 5000 baht and could even fine you an additional 200 baht a day.

Doing 90 day reports are not that difficult to do. You can do them in person, by mail or online.

Thanks guys,

guess I will go and do it.

Online reporting takes less than 5 minutes and you don't have to leave your home to do it. For me I get the approval the next day to print and put my passport.

Edited by KhunG

Yes, I applied for the retirement visa right away and wondered about the 15 month length of time. Thanks 4 the info.

Are you sure you have a "retirement visa" ?

I would suggest looking in the passport and noting the "extension of stay permitted up to xx/xx/xxxx" stamp likely headed by the word Retirement. You will find no mention of the word "visa".

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

Yes, I applied for the retirement visa right away and wondered about the 15 month length of time. Thanks 4 the info.

It's confusing as hell, and a lot of wrong terminology such as 'Retirement Visa' info online does not help us, but it's important you get across the detail of everything if you want to retire here, as any mistakes can be costly and extremely inconvenient to fix! Remember that this circus will happen every year until you die, so get it sorted out in your head now and save yourself aggro next year.

Also, make sure you have all the paperwork and photocopies you need and sign everything, always. If you stuff that up, and the sarge on duty is in a bad mood, it's back to the end of the long queue you go! Which usually means coming back the next day.

It's confusing as hell, and a lot of wrong terminology such as 'Retirement Visa' info online does not help us, but it's important you get across the detail of everything if you want to retire here, as any mistakes can be costly and extremely inconvenient to fix! Remember that this circus will happen every year until you die, so get it sorted out in your head now and save yourself aggro next year.

Also, make sure you have all the paperwork and photocopies you need and sign everything, always. If you stuff that up, and the sarge on duty is in a bad mood, it's back to the end of the long queue you go! Which usually means coming back the next day.

Yes it is confusing.

The passport visa page says: Retirement, dated 19 Aug. 2015.

Extension of stay permitted up to 5 Nov. 2016

Are you sure you have a "retirement visa" ?

I would suggest looking in the passport and noting the "extension of stay permitted up to xx/xx/xxxx" stamp likely headed by the word Retirement. You will find no mention of the word "visa".

You are right. No mention of the word "visa".

Yes it is confusing.

The "Retirement" stamp refers to the fact that you met the requirements for an "Extension of Stay" (not a visa) based on retirement.

If you wish to travel outside Thailand you will need to obtain a "re-entry" permit to keep the "Extension of stay" alive during its period of validity.

• Like 1

Yes it is confusing.

The "Retirement" stamp refers to the fact that you met the requirements for an "Extension of Stay" (not a visa) based on retirement.

If you wish to travel outside Thailand you will need to obtain a "re-entry" permit to keep the "Extension of stay" alive during its period of validity.

I have heard about this "re-entry" permit but don't plan on leaving the country during my stay here,

Many people like to keep a valid single re-entry permit in their passport in case of a sudden emergency which requires an urgent departure. Something like a family crisis such as sudden illness etc.

The cost of a single re-entry permit is 1000 Bht which some consider good value.

I do not plan on traveling outside of the country.

Arrived here 25 July 2015 and applied for and received a 15 month retirement visa.

Will probably have to go back after the 15 months and reapply for another 15 month retirement visa.

Is this when they will get me?

No one gets 15 months at a time, and there is no such thing as a 'Retirement Visa' it is strictly a 12 month extension on your initial Non Immigrant O Visa granted on the grounds of 'Retirement'.

The '15 months' you can see is because you have incorrectly added your initial 90 day extension of stay to the 12 month 'Retirement' extension they ultimately granted you. They are separate concessions entirely.

90 day report as already mentioned, is now online, so it's a ten minute job from home, but do always report at least a week in advance to allow for glitches, obscure govt holidays, etc. You will get a confirmation on your screen when your report is accepted (file an electronic copy of that) and an email when your report is confirmed 'legit', you need to print this out and carry it in your passport at all times.

Also, what do you mean by 'get you'? If you are always on time, and your entry is legal, no one will 'get you'. if you arrived on 25 July, you would likely have been granted your 12 months in mid/late September, so you will have your first 90 day report due around Xmas, make sure you know the date, and don't miss it or it's gonna be an expensive and cheerless festive season.

Finally, you do not have to leave Thailand to get your retirement extension renewed. You DO still have go through the whole money in the bank thing again or get your Stat dec. from the Embassy. Produce photograph, application forms, bank letter, etc etc etc. Every year.

Actually I have seen them vary in length, from 12 months, to 13 and sometimes 14 months. I am not sure why that is, but I have seen such Extensions with my own eyes.

Jimmpy:

Just to clarify for you, as it is important, what many of the posts above are saying is that you must get the terminology correct, else it all gets dangerously confusing.

• You do not have a 'Retirement Visa', there is no such thing
  • You have a '12 month Extension of Stay' based upon the fact that you are .Retired. (I say 12 months but understand your dates may give you longer)
  • I urge you to do the 90 Day reporting, it is very important. If you do online or by post, observe the time limitations for submission xx Days prior etc.

Thanks PMZ, all this info. has been extremely helpful and will do what I have to do.

I came to Thailand as it seemed safe now and ready for Renaissance.

Looking forward to the next few months and hoping the nightlife that Thailand is noted for, returns.

It appears that they are looking for short-tern, high-end tourists now but hope for the best.

Bye4Now

Yes it is confusing.

Does anyone know how Op was given 15 months extension of stay? I renew my retirement visa/extension annually and always get the same date, in my case it's July 31st 2015 - July 31st 2016. How does someone get 15 months?

A great thread and will surely help other new arrivals to Thailand.
However, I noticed that no one gave you a link to the 90 online reporting.
So-
A few possibly useful links for you.

The link to the online 90 day report.
From here you can also download a user guide:-
https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Link to download all immigration forms from the Government site:-
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Thai Immigration Application Forms in .doc format
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

Yes it is confusing.

Does anyone know how Op was given 15 months extension of stay? I renew my retirement visa/extension annually and always get the same date, in my case it's July 31st 2015 - July 31st 2016. How does someone get 15 months?

Earlier in this thread this was explained.

He gets the same as you but got confused by adding the initial 3 months to the 12 month extension of stay having met the Retirement requirements