No more double entry tourist visa - Malaysia

Somebody made an interesting comment here about just overstaying and paying the 20,000 fine. ...

And live in fear of the police every time I go out? No thanks. I came here to relax and enjoy.

If overstaying one should "fear the police" !

Once the airport has been reached and with the required cash to pay the fine "escape" is almost guaranteed smile.png

Granted, I've never been asked to present ID by police here. Only back in the home-country where they shake everyone down as if they are assumed to be criminals (unless you look like your lawyer could give them trouble).

But still, I like knowing if asked to show ID, it would not lead to a trip to jail, fine, criminal-record (even if minor), and buying a last-minute, overpriced plane-ticket to the USA . I prefer, "Ok, have a nice day" - or even a gruff, "Ok, move along."

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Not likely it would happen. With about 7 years experience in Thailand, at least 3-4 months per year for each of those years, often more, I'm pretty sure I've never had a single interaction with the police anywhere, and never been asked for ID. And I've heard even if a police asks for ID, you don't have to show him your passport as he has no rights to be playing immigration officer - that's for the immigration officers to figure out - and you could just show any other form of ID like a Thai drivers license. This is all in Samui, where police are basically non-existent and its the closest thing to anarchy or a Wild West movie as I could ever have imagined. The ONLY time police are ever seen is when they set up helmet checkpoints to squeeze some tea money from the farangs or as Johnny come lately to come write up some papers, usually as the last ones on the scene, after the many horrific traffic accidents. Otherwise it seems they're content to sit in their booths playing cards or on their phones.

• Like 1

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever one resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

They can get a multi entry non 'O' visa without any financial proof. They then just need to exit every 90 days or get a 60 day extension and exit every 5 months. Then every 15/17 months they need a new visa.

I doubt that most embassies (maybe less diffcult at honorary consulats) will give you a multiple-entry O with zero proof of funds, even if you are 50+ . A honorary consulat in my home country asks to see 10K of Euro, for example (which is of course doable)

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever one resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

They can get a multi entry non 'O' visa without any financial proof. They then just need to exit every 90 days or get a 60 day extension and exit every 5 months. Then every 15/17 months they need a new visa.

I doubt that most embassies (maybe less diffcult at honorary consulats) will give you a multiple-entry O with zero proof of funds, even if you are 50+ . A honorary consulat in my home country asks to see 10K of Euro, for example (which is of course doable)

The London embassy does and so does the consulate at Savannakhet. How many others do I don't know.

If tourist visas become too difficult to obtain for people wanting to stay longer term I hope they just go on overstay. I hope they go on overstay and simply pay the 20k fine now and again. Come back in and start again.

I really don't care what other foreigners are doing here. What I do enjoy is watching the fusty 'farangs' going ape shit over people beating the system with no consequences.

These people who go ape are the same people who say stuff like "It's their rules. None of our business. We should all be grateful guests". You're right, we are guests and it's none of our business what they do. None of our business what foreigners are doing also. That's a local problem I don't care to bother myself with.

Good luck to all those on tourists visas who want to stay in this county long term.

Speak of the devil.... read the Bangkok Post and you can see that the new overstays rules are now before the PM .....

That rat hole will be plugged very shortly with harsh fines and prison time. This has been a very well thought out plan with the METV and I think it may not be the last of the crack down. Wait till the visa friendly countries say they will not issue back to back single entry Tourists Visas and country shopping will be a thing of the past.

Seems Laos and Cambodia might be in for a business influx of longer termed Tourists....

• Like 1

If tourist visas become too difficult to obtain for people wanting to stay longer term I hope they just go on overstay. I hope they go on overstay and simply pay the 20k fine now and again. Come back in and start again.

I really don't care what other foreigners are doing here. What I do enjoy is watching the fusty 'farangs' going ape shit over people beating the system with no consequences.

These people who go ape are the same people who say stuff like "It's their rules. None of our business. We should all be grateful guests". You're right, we are guests and it's none of our business what they do. None of our business what foreigners are doing also. That's a local problem I don't care to bother myself with.

Good luck to all those on tourists visas who want to stay in this county long term.

Speak of the devil.... read the Bangkok Post and you can see that the new overstays rules are now before the PM .....

That rat hole will be plugged very shortly with harsh fines and prison time. This has been a very well thought out plan with the METV and I think it may not be the last of the crack down. Wait till the visa friendly countries say they will not issue back to back single entry Tourists Visas and country shopping will be a thing of the past.

Seems Laos and Cambodia might be in for a business influx of longer termed Tourists....

Just read that.

Watch out for the panic, the whinging and the desperate attempts to gain legal status.

Laos and Cambodia are welcome but will live to rue the day if they allow these people to enter.

And I've heard even if a police asks for ID, you don't have to show him your passport as he has no rights to be playing immigration officer - that's for the immigration officers to figure out - and you could just show any other form of ID like a Thai drivers license.

You have heard wrong, by regulations you must have your passport with you at all times, or at least a copy of it. That in practice you can do without that it's another story.

By the way, Immigration in Thailand is a branch of Thai Royal Police. Any police officer can check basic immigration issues, for anything more their Immigration colleagues are just a phone call away.

Our Visa trip to Kota Bharu on November 8th is the last trip where you can apply for a Double Entry Tourist Visa. After that, on 13th of November, new regulations will come into effect and you can only apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa on our trips.

It's interesting to note that on this forum, at least in recent years, Kot Bharu was never mentioned as possible destination for double entry tourist visa. It must have been the best kept Thai visa secret.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Goodbye Kota Bahru, Hello Bali.

Bali !

Good idea!

Bali have already "tightened" their requirements!

You will need proven financial resource derived from outside Thailand , and demonstrable, paid for, flights out of Thailand for each tourist visa entry granted.

And I've heard even if a police asks for ID, you don't have to show him your passport as he has no rights to be playing immigration officer - that's for the immigration officers to figure out - and you could just show any other form of ID like a Thai drivers license.

You have heard wrong, by regulations you must have your passport with you at all times, or at least a copy of it. That in practice you can do without that it's another story.

By the way, Immigration in Thailand is a branch of Thai Royal Police. Any police officer can check basic immigration issues, for anything more their Immigration colleagues are just a phone call away.

Several weeks ago I had a the BiB visit my home checking up on me (on a Tourist Visa). Only a few days prior, I was stopped at a check point, asked for my drivers licence and passport. I always keep them both in my car when travelling.

So, yes you can get asked for your passport. I was driving to Chiang Rai. I just produced both and was on my way a minute or so later.

• Like 1

Here in Kanchanaburi about 2 weeks ago,Immigration Police were stopping farangs walking down the main tourist street and asking for ID etc. They also filmed themselves doing so,I carry a laminated copy of my passport photo page and visa stamp on the back.

• Like 1

Just read that. Watch out for the panic, the whinging and the desperate attempts to gain legal status. Laos and Cambodia are welcome but will live to rue the day if they allow these people to enter.

For long-term, I am told that in Laos you simply pay a "service" to get you a business visa - but it's not cheap, nor is the general cost of living, as compared to Thailand. Ok place, but I can't see a reason to pay a premium.

From what I can tell, Cambodia likes having foreigners spend their incomes into the local economy in perpetuity. They even hand out Business Visas for $300 / year - multi-entry - no questions asked. I've done it - not bad - quite inexpensive to live there. While much better than most other options on the planet, it is not the same as Thailand.

You have spoken often about how awful some expats are, but I've yet to see an explanation of exactly what they "did to you," which could result in this attitude. Going on 3 years, I haven't exprerienced anything negative from other expats in Thailand. The closest thing to annoyance are the occasional loud-talking, drunk Chinese, but it's their vacation, so I hope they have fun. I don't get hard feelings, or anything like that.

Could you at least tell us where you have encountered these types whom the Cambodians would "rue the day" they, well, actually already do, let in?