No more double entry tourist visa - Malaysia

Tourist visa runs are going to be a thing of the past soon.

They want it so that you apply and receive your single entry TV from your home country.

As per Thailand Immigration law you must provide the correct visa upon entry for which your intended purpose of stay.

If you are staying in Thailand for an extended period get the correct visa.

Tourist visa runs are going to be a thing of the past soon.

They want it so that you apply and receive your single entry TV from your home country.

As per Thailand Immigration law you must provide the correct visa upon entry for which your intended purpose of stay.

If you are staying in Thailand for an extended period get the correct visa.

Posting your assumptions twice doesn't give them more weight :)

It'll still be a visa run just back home not to Laos. Fine by me to have clear guidelines for getting the visa - as long as you have a nominal amount of cash, you get it.

And where does it say in immigration law that X amount of time on a tourist visa is incorrect? Nowhere.

• Like 1

Yet then there are long term people like myself that have a Thai partner but gender has determined the fact I cannot stay as I have no visa at all for my situation but the expensive PE. I have several other friends in the same situation; being under 50 an with a Trans-gender partner. My relationship has been perfect for the last 8 years as I have watched so many others relationships (male/female) die horrible deaths around us. So, being a perpetual tourist has been the only way forward for us over the last 8 years.

You all say it is so easy to be legal but in my case, it is not black an white. If I was to leave my partner over visa issues today, I would be destorying the best thing that has happened to me an hurting someone (my partner) that has done nothing wrong apart from being Thai an on the wrong side of the fence.

• Like 1

Yet then there are long term people like myself that have a Thai partner but gender has determined the fact I cannot stay as I have no visa at all for my situation but the expensive PE. I have several other friends in the same situation; being under 50 an with a Trans-gender partner. My relationship has been perfect for the last 8 years as I have watched so many others relationships (male/female) die horrible deaths around us. So, being a perpetual tourist has been the only way forward for us over the last 8 years.

You all say it is so easy to be legal but in my case, it is not black an white. If I was to leave my partner over visa issues today, I would be destorying the best thing that has happened to me an hurting someone (my partner) that has done nothing wrong apart from being Thai an on the wrong side of the fence.

I am sorry to hear about your situation but you might need to serious consider the Thailand Elite visa at 500k for 5 years which is just 10k a month, I have no idea if you are financially retired or are still working or what your current income is but 8 years on a tourist visa is just not visible any more. Their are young chaps that have a GF but no children and they too will be effected. I think 10k a month would be a good option to still allow you to stay in the country but you the only problem would be that you have to cough up 500k in advance. Maybe you can both share the funds to make your stay legal for the next 5 years if you don't have 500k.

I hope the best for you.

???? hassle ?

but are you really a tourist if you stay more than 6 months in a foreign country ? wink.png

Yes, tourist visas for tourists. What a radical concept. If you want to stay here long-term, do it with the appropriate visa or extension.

Can't meet the qualifications, feel free to opt for another country. Chad or Haiti are lovely this time of the year.

alien-economic-refugees.png

You are very smug and precious aren't you

There are a lot of people out there who work out of the country and have wives and families who are Thai and who they support, who need this sort of visa.

I suppose you recommend they abandon their family and find another country.

There aren't countries bad enough to have to suffer people like you.

If they have wives and families they have no issue, this new visa will not cause any families to be split up in the least....people with families and wives are not tourists so struggling to see how your making the connections you have

• Like 1

???? hassle ?

but are you really a tourist if you stay more than 6 months in a foreign country ? wink.png

Yes, tourist visas for tourists. What a radical concept. If you want to stay here long-term, do it with the appropriate visa or extension.

Can't meet the qualifications, feel free to opt for another country. Chad or Haiti are lovely this time of the year.

There are a lot of people out there who work out of the country and have wives and families who are Thai and who they support, who need this sort of visa.

If they have wives and families they have no issue, this new visa will not cause any families to be split up in the least....people with families and wives are not tourists so struggling to see how your making the connections you have

Those with wives and families also have easily obtained visa options available. They are as you say not "long term tourists"

• Like 1

???? hassle ?

It looks like a lot of people just don't get it. If you have a child and are married you still can apply a None-O-M because anyone that has a child in Thailand but don't submit any marriage certificate. Their is always an option for a farang that is either married and have a child in Thailand to be legally in Thailand as the last thing the Thai government wants is to cut the flow of funds to the Thai family. If anyone is married to a Thai and has no children then they have to cough up 400k. As long anyone has his name recorded in the birth certificate he will get the one year visa O-M without any question asked and as long the Mrs doesn't carry the name of the farang of course.

In regards of There are a lot of people out there who work, it means they are working overseas which means they can cough up the 400k so the farangs with family in Thailand are always covered.

Edited by MobileContent

u

I am sorry to hear about your situation but you might need to serious consider the Thailand Elite visa at 500k for 5 years which is just 10k a month, I have no idea if you are financially retired or are still working or what your current income is but 8 years on a tourist visa is just not visible any more. Their are young chaps that have a GF but no children and they too will be effected. I think 10k a month would be a good option to still allow you to stay in the country but you the only problem would be that you have to cough up 500k in advance. Maybe you can both share the funds to make your stay legal for the next 5 years if you don't have 500k.

I hope the best for you.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have the cash. That is no problems. My partner has even offered to buy a PE for me as 8 years ago I gave her the start up cash for her current business an it is very running well.

Hardest part is I only have 4 years to go till I am 50 an 500K would go a long way towards my Retirement Visa in costs. I am independent financially an it just irks me to cough up 500K when I am so close to the finish line. There are many of my gay friends now with this problem but 500K is just too much for them.

This is not isolated an is going to effect a lot of very good people. Most my gay friends are not trailer trash or bar goers. Good people that are genuine with long term partners.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 2

So with the METV the farther away your home country is the greater the expense and hassle. Kinda blows if you are from the Americas. Oh well, round and round we go.

???? hassle ?

My dictionary defines a tourist as "someone who travels for pleasure".

If I have some means to support myself I could be a tourist for as long as I wanted.

• Like 2

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever one resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1

To the poster who indicated most farangs on retirement visas are dead beat- I would like an explanation on how you have the ability to know everyone's financial status and personal information. Please do enlighten us and give us the same ability to scrutinize these people so we too can be enlightened.

• Like 1

u

I hope the best for you.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have the cash. That is no problems. My partner has even offered to buy a PE for me as 8 years ago I gave her the start up cash for her current business an it is very running well.

Hardest part is I only have 4 years to go till I am 50 an 500K would go a long way towards my Retirement Visa in costs. I am independent financially an it just irks me to cough up 500K when I am so close to the finish line. There are many of my gay friends now with this problem but 500K is just too much for them.

This is not isolated an is going to effect a lot of very good people. Most my gay friends are not trailer trash or bar goers. Good people that are genuine with long term partners.

I think the best short-term solution would be to just try get the funds in for the PE visa to keep you legal until you are 51 so you both can be together and not get split up. Another solution would be to get a 2 month Tourist visa and extend it for one more month at a local immigration office or fly down to your country and get a METV which gives you up to 8 months if I am not mistaken.

I hope you and your partner can figure out what is the best solution. I have many gay friends in our office and I am seeing many of their partners to have been together for a very long time. All the best and good luck.

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever on resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

If someone has no cash and cannot demonstrate or prove a monthly income how do they, exactly, support a wife and children ?

• Like 1

There are still many options for under 50 year old.

1. Apply for METV in home country and stay up to 9 month then apply for single entry TV in laos. So you have 1 year. After fly back homr for a week and do the same again.

2. Get an confirmation letter from an thai language school that you will learn thai for a year. Apply in your home country for an 1 year ED visa with multiple entrys. But dont go to school when you arrive thailand(nobody cares) youve got the visa already - 15 month stay. Then go back and do the same with a differrent school at a different

consulate.

3. Setting up a small business in your home country and write yourself an invitation letter to Thailand for possible business investments. Apply for 1 year Non-B visa. 15 month stay.

And there are some more options......

• Like 2

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever on resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

There are no income requirements to be issued a WP, your talking about an extension of stay, which is an immigration requirement not a WP requirement, and teachers are exempt from the minimum salaries...

Trust me having worked in many countries under WP/ work visa's Thailand has one of the quickest, easiest, and cheapest systems there is, you obviously have no clue what your talking about

Thailand has some of the most varied, accomdating, ease of use and cheapest visa's on the planet, finanical requirements for longer term visas/extensions are very fair indeed...

• Like 2

Yes the PE Visa is an option for some- but will they accept 10K per month as payment for the Visa. I understand they want the 500K up front.. Then there is the marriage visa 40K per month or 400K in the bank. Then there is retirement 65 K per month of 800 K in the bank. Not everyone has these kind of funds and many stay in Thailand supporting wife and children on less but cannot come up with the requirement of cash or proof that they have the monthly income. The METV visa is a start to allegedly improve things. A better visa for those employed would be a Non B and an automatic work permit without all the income levels and bureaucracy attached to it. That would show me the government actually cares about families. In addition there are partners who are not allowed to marry. They also should be allowed o have some happiness.Unfortunately the West is worse than Thailand with all its rigid bureaucracy and arbitrary laws . Being able to live with someone you love should not be dictated by government edict wherever one resides. Personally, I find most governments as useless.

The issue is you have to pay upfront to get a 5 year visa (PE). Any foreigner that is married to a Thai can just proof that they get 40k+ a month which is just 1000 Euros and any foreigner that is married to a Thai and possible has a child should be able to proof that they have that kind of funds.

I feel a bid sad for the foreign Gay community that have a long term relationship with their local Thai partner but their will be always minorities that will loose in the system but I believe strongly Thailand try to close their loopholes.

To the poster who indicated most farangs on retirement visas are dead beat- I would like an explanation on how you have the ability to know everyone's financial status and personal information. Please do enlighten us and give us the same ability to scrutinize these people so we too can be enlightened.

Nobody indicated that...go back and read what he wrote, he said "full of" not " most"

• Like 1

There are many people working in Thailand as teachers who earn 30K per month that are married and have children and are quite happy and take care of their family quite nicely. Their schools never put in the proper paperwork and the teacher is forced to work on a tourist visa and no work permit.It doesn't matter whether we agree with it or not- or whether we believe that that person is making the correct decision or not. This is a personal decision. There are too many governments in the World who just don't care about what their policies do to people. Thailand is not the worst. I could tell you horror stories about what American Immigration does to split up families.

Teachers are some how tolerated to go under the radar because Thailand needs English teachers but if a farang teacher is illegal in Thailand working on a tiurist visa but has a child why he just don't apply a None Immi-O-M if he has a Thai child.

We can complain about the governments around the world but Thailand will always give you an option to come back with the correct visa and I don't want Thailand ends up such as my home country in Germany where everyone is let in without even border controls. As for the US I can't say that much as I don't have much experience, except some bar girls in Sakon Nakhon that married a US citizen and they have green cards now and are waiting for their US hubby to expire.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

They can get a multi entry non 'O' visa without any financial proof. They then just need to exit every 90 days or get a 60 day extension and exit every 5 months. Then every 15/17 months they need a new visa.

Edited by elviajero

You are correct re financial requirements for extensions of stay. And as I said Thailand is not complicated compared to the United State which I know well. You state the income requirements are fair for Thailand. I can meet them and you can meet them but maybe, just maybe not everyone is as well off as you and me. You might want to consider other people's feelings and situations and not base you opinion on your situation. Possibly a little humility and compassion from some of the posters on this board is in order. Your life can change in an instant and you might be the one who needs some compassion.The arrogance of some of you is beyond my understanding.

If anyone has a family and child in Thailand they must have the resources to fund their new family. It is just impossible that they decide to marry and possible have children and have not even 10,000 Euros to finance their visa stay. The government doesn't want that money and it needs to be in the account for just two months. I can show passion when the Thai immigration would ask for everyone over 60 years to show a valid health insurance but the Thai goverment just ask for 40k+ in the account for income per month and everyone should be able to show the minimum amount. Many embassies actually will just certify that amount (another loophole) without actually showing proof. The last option would be to bring his wife and child to their home country and work back and save for his retirement by working.

I try not to be rude and show some compassion but Thailand has always options to return.

I guess the general consensus is I got mine and I really don't care about you. Go find a way to get yours. These are the sentiments I find so disturbing not only for this issue but so many others. The World has become a very selfish place. You are all entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I believe in compassion . Maybe someday you will join in.

Yes, I am compassionate as well an after reading so much over the last week, I cannot believe how some delight in such changes. I have seen my share of shit farang here an they certainly do not come was a certain age description. The younger generation seem pretty switched on an I have seen a few successful unions between the youngsters.

Things are not the same as 20 years ago but I think the ones that take pleasure in this must have a pretty poor view of life or that life does not get past a bar fine as that is all the true love they can get an that is very sad.

• Like 2

This is going to make it impossible for most Thai schools to employ foreign English teachers. Double entry tourist visas were a necessity even for people that intend to work legally, in order to cover time while waiting for paperwork or changing jobs. Schools recruit people on tourist visas and then they transition to non B. I imagine the majority of schools will soon find it impossible to employ foreigners now, the hassle and expense will just drive people to better paying jobs in China.

• Like 1

I have a friend that is German and very poor. He is married and pays the immigration and police off in Pattaya to get his extension of stay. He is currently very sick and survives on 400 Euros per month and the wife just waits for him to expire so she can grab a nice house. I am sure he will pass away in the next 3 months as his health is in very bad shape and I do give him some time some money to get by. Damn it this guy would get a big payout early next year as he finally reaches his pension.

Another farang a French guy was just diagnosed with stomach cancer, the inusrance only covers up to 150,000 Baht per month and he was just transferred from a first class private hospital to a government hospital. He should be returning to the home this weekend as he run out of money and the wife refuses to sell the house in Udon Thani (top location) as she wants to have the house too (No children involved).

The mistake both did was that they burned funds on Sinsood, Cars and house and on the end they have nothing,

I was quoting "dead beat" from a previous respondent. I wasn't quoting the term as a reference to financial status per say. It was more a reference to the typical embarrassing white male residing in Thailand who views the entire country through the myopic goggles of the sex industry, and who are - naturally - now all experts on Thailand and S.E Asia in general. These people are not exclusive to any visa status but span the entire range. It's a pity they're even issued with passports.

Edited by stephen tracy

Well you sorta knew this issue might eventually manifest itself when you initiated the relationship.