No more double entry tourist visa - Malaysia

HD Visa actually says this on their website

"Many people asked us about the new Tourist Visa regulations. Fact is, that they are not in place yet. There is a meeting planned for Mid-November where details will be agreed upon and rules are coming into effect. What we know by now is the following:

– There will be a 6 month tourist visa that you can apply to ONLY in your country of residency (not on one of our visa trips).
– There will be a single entry tourist visa that you can apply to outside of your country of residency, for instance on our visa trip
– There will be no more multiple entry tourist visa available outside of your country of residency
Nothing more is known and it makes no sense to speculate before the Immigration make it official."

A very big mistake if they take away the double entry tourist Visa. A radical loss of income because people will not travel back to their home country for an METV. Overall tourism will drop as Thailand will not be seen as tourist friendly. Why would I want to pay 5000 Baht for a multiple entry Visa when I only need 2 entries. They may think they are clever and see this as an income maker but they are wrong. Westerners think differently and they are prudent in how they spend their travel funds. What makes more sense for attracting tourism is the METV plus the double and triple entry Visas. The more flexible choices one has the better they will feel and it will generate more income. Marketing 101.

Big mistake or not they are doing it....and dont think this will have any affect on overall tourism anyway....as the ones it really affects are not really tourist to begin with...;)

But why dont you offer your marketing expertise to them and show them the error of their ways ?

• Like 2

They will start to miss the millions if people get the impression that Thailand is not really tourist friendly and there are too many hoops to jump through. Even Cambodia has an E Visa and it's Visa structure more friendly. The more choices you give a person the better it is. If Thailand is worried about people working on a tourist Visa they need to increase the enforcement of this or actually get the labor department to talk to the Immigration department to lessen the bureaucracy involved in both Visa and Work Permit. If the goal is to get rid of illegal workers- then this plan will work but it will also get rid of some normal tourist business I doubt there will be many people learning English though.

Dear Mr Southpeel- I have no intention of offering my services to the Government- Whether I am right or wrong really does not matter. I see the result of this scheme a little different than you One thing we agree on is that the rationale behind the METV has nothing to do with tourism. There are much simpler ways to stem illegal workers but I shall leave that to you imagination.

Dear Mr Southpeel- I have no intention of offering my services to the Government- Whether I am right or wrong really does not matter. I see the result of this scheme a little different than you One thing we agree on is that the rationale behind the METV has nothing to do with tourism. There are much simpler ways to stem illegal workers but I shall leave that to you imagination.

Yes but the simpler ways of dealing with illegal works...would be seen as illegal in itself

It can be even more tourist friendly by simply keeping the double and triple entry Visa. However, since the real goal has nothing to do with tourism- it will eliminate long term residents and unfortunately some of these people have wife's and children. The people who are working as bar managers and bar owners illegally will still be here doing what they do. In addition, those people with deep pockets can always find away around the Visa issue. Frankly, I think Thailand is way overcrowded with too many tourists and way over developed in so called tourist areas that it is detrimental to the country long term but that is another discussion. If it makes some people happy to see families broken up over visa issues then that is your choice. It is not mine.

• Like 1

However, since the real goal has nothing to do with tourism- it will eliminate long term residents and unfortunately some of these people have wife's and children.

I agree with you about the first part.

About the second part:

A person whose has a wife, and/or children can apply for a Non-O visa, based on marriage, or taking care of a child.

• Like 1

However, since the real goal has nothing to do with tourism- it will eliminate long term residents and unfortunately some of these people have wife's and children.

About the second part:

A person whose has a wife, and/or children can apply for a Non-O visa, based on marriage, or taking care of a child.

But not if they have problems meeting the financial requirements of an extension or they are working illegally.

In such cases a trip to Laos for a multi entry visa would at least resolve the visa issue.

It can be even more tourist friendly by simply keeping the double and triple entry Visa. However, since the real goal has nothing to do with tourism- it will eliminate long term residents and unfortunately some of these people have wife's and children. The people who are working as bar managers and bar owners illegally will still be here doing what they do. In addition, those people with deep pockets can always find away around the Visa issue. Frankly, I think Thailand is way overcrowded with too many tourists and way over developed in so called tourist areas that it is detrimental to the country long term but that is another discussion. If it makes some people happy to see families broken up over visa issues then that is your choice. It is not mine.

Why would that be? A farang married to a Thai can any way stay in Thailand by applying for the O visa. A farang that is married to a Thai should never apply for a tourist visa as he should have an O visa.

Tourist visa runs are going to be a thing of the past soon. They want it so that you apply and receive your single entry TV from your home country.

As per Thailand Immigration law you must provide the correct visa upon entry for which your intended purpose of stay.

If you are staying in Thailand for an extended period get the correct visa.

• Like 1

About the second part:

But not if they have problems meeting the financial requirements of an extension or they are working illegally.

In such cases a trip to Laos for a multi entry visa would at least resolve the visa issue.

I can't speak for others, but if i move to another part of the world to start a family, i would make sure that i have enough funds to take care of them...

• Like 1

No official limit on consecutive tourist visas has ever been set, that sort of implies Thailand doesn't mind perpetual tourists. Bit of logic there rather than assumptions.

The."limit" comes from Embassy's/Consulates who restrict the number of tourist visas they will issue back to back.

No official limit on consecutive tourist visas has ever been set, that sort of implies Thailand doesn't mind perpetual tourists. Bit of logic there rather than assumptions.

I think you're right. The problem is the genuine perpetual tourist will suffer because of the abuse of the system.

The."limit" comes from Embassy's/Consulates who restrict the number of tourist visas they will issue back to back.

Which varies, as you know, by embassy staff, and people can just try a different consulate.

No official limit in law, as much as you may like there to be one.