Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

Extremely pleasant experience just 10 hours ago, obtaining a double entry Tourist Visa in Australia, with a very helpful and detailed explanation on how to apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa, which I asked about, wanting to go that path after the forth-coming trip!

Which city was that in Fishy?

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fact that they are scribbling stuff on the passport leads me to believe that if you want to circumvent the new rules you could just get a new passport.

Getting a new passport every 3 months might become a little tedious. :o

What if you legally hold two passports, could you use one for 3 months, then the other?

Thanks Rajah, very helpful.

The bottom line is, we'll only know on the day. I'll make sure I take my toothbrush and if I can't get back head for the nearest consulate and consider my options there.

Do not try to scam Immigration ... they are really getting quite clever these days.

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom line is, we'll only know on the day. I'll make sure I take my toothbrush and if I can't get back head for the nearest consulate and consider my options there.

Do not try to scam Immigration ... they are really getting quite clever these days.

I can think of at least one valid reason to use 2 passports. I have 2, and when one gets full (those Cambodian visas soon fill the pages), I will switch to the other one. I've done this before and never had a problem, although it was not in Thailand.

Edited by tropo

I have been away from this forum for a couple of months so forgive me if I am a bit behind.

But can anyone explain to me if it is still the policy that one can no longer stay in Thailand longer than 90 days within a 180 day period without having a work, marriage, or retirement visa?

So basically there is no long term visa to Thailand with out work, marriage, or retirement?

Is this ture?

And is this being enforced?

cheers

Yes, the law is being enforced. You need the proper visa for your reason to stay. If you get a tourist visa you are expected to be a tourist, not a resident. If you get a multiple entry “B” visa you can look for work and change your status but it can not be done with a tourist visa or a visa on arrival.

I have been away from this forum for a couple of months so forgive me if I am a bit behind.

But can anyone explain to me if it is still the policy that one can no longer stay in Thailand longer than 90 days within a 180 day period without having a work, marriage, or retirement visa?

So basically there is no long term visa to Thailand with out work, marriage, or retirement?

Is this ture?

And is this being enforced?

cheers

The currently accepted theory is that one can stay in Thailand as long as one wishes as long as one has a Tourist Visa.

90 days is all that is allowed within a 180 day period on 30-day visa exempt stamps.

The trick will be actually getting these visas back to back from neighboring countries that slowly seem to be closing the door.

Tourist visas should be no problem at all from home countries.

Yes, the law is being enforced. You need the proper visa for your reason to stay. If you get a tourist visa you are expected to be a tourist, not a resident. If you get a multiple entry “B” visa you can look for work and change your status but it can not be done with a tourist visa or a visa on arrival.

The law is 90 days on entry without visa; not visa entry. And it has not been enforced to date to our knowledge (the count started on first such entry after Oct 1).

You have been able to change your status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa if you find work and it has recently even been done from entry without visa stamps.

Thats because the read this forum :o

Yes, I've heard that theory on here a number of times i.e. that immigration reads this forum.

Who exactly reads it?...and why?

Yes, I've heard that theory on here a number of times i.e. that immigration reads this forum.

Who exactly reads it?...and why?

We dont know and I guess will never know if Thai Immigration read through here on not. But im sure they know TV exists and there are proably people who work for immigration that browse through here from time to time to see what we are saying (Sawasdee to any immigration officials reading this!) I doubt they would change any laws or rules because of what people say here, but I guess the could if they thought it was a serious matter. I dont know if immigration have the brains working there to come up with their own ideas so maybe they do read through here................

We dont know and I guess will never know if Thai Immigration read through here on not. But im sure they know TV exists and there are proably people who work for immigration that browse through here from time to time to see what we are saying (Sawasdee to any immigration officials reading this!) I doubt they would change any laws or rules because of what people say here, but I guess the could if they thought it was a serious matter. I dont know if immigration have the brains working there to come up with their own ideas so maybe they do read through here................

I really don't believe that Thai Immigration people would bother trying to read an English forum such as this one.

What better way to find out what loopholes exist, what people's future intentions to try and circumvent the rules, or which locations are not within strict compliance of their rules?

It would make perfect sense for Immigration to find out that which concerns them very directly and it would make perfect sense for them to read about it in the biggest forum existing that deals specifically with those areas.

*edit*

Excuse my manners, Immigration... "Sawatdee khrap" to the reader on duty for this shift

Edited by sriracha john

I really don't believe that Thai Immigration people would bother trying to read an English forum such as this one.

:o

And we can assume that in addition to knowledgeable people in the Immigration Police, these ThaiVisa forums are read by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and by officers at embassies and consulates.

Howdy, good people. :o

there's no reason why they should not ...........

is there ?

What better way to find out what loopholes exist, what people's future intentions to try and circumvent the rules, or which locations are not within strict compliance of their rules?

It would make perfect sense for Immigration to find out that which concerns them very directly and it would make perfect sense for them to read about it in the biggest forum existing that deals specifically with those areas.

*edit*

Excuse my manners, Immigration... "Sawatdee khrap" to the reader on duty for this shift

So they're going to find a person well schooled in English and give him a full time job to read through all the crap on here everyday. That's bs. You're exaggerating the importance of this forum which you would do as a member who averages almost 78 post a week.

Edited by tropo

Do you really think it's all that hard to find an English-literate Thai? :o:D You need to get out and meet more Thais then.

of course they wouldn't have to read all the posts... they could just trail behind your posts... :D

I'm sure they appreciate all the great leads you've given them to check into.

Do you really think it's all that hard to find an English-literate Thai? :o:D You need to get out and meet more Thais then.

of course they wouldn't have to read all the posts... they could just trail behind your posts... :D

it's a small world ,

the gf ( Thai) is still shaking her head over the Africans in Thailand thread ................................

You can find SOME intelligent English-literate Thais about I'm sure, but they would not be working for Immigration reading posts on this forum.

They'd have a hard job finding my occasional contributions amongst your massive 8,000 odd works of art, apart from the fact that they changed the regulations before I even became a member.

You should get a life outside Thaivisa...maybe get out more and visit your intellectual English-literate Thai friends.

Do you really think it's all that hard to find an English-literate Thai? :D:D You need to get out and meet more Thais then.

You can find SOME intelligent English-literate Thais about I'm sure, but they would not be working for Immigration reading posts on this forum.

They'd have a hard job finding my occasional contributions amongst your massive 8,000 odd works of art, apart from the fact that they changed the regulations before I even became a member.

You should get a life outside Thaivisa...maybe get out more and visit your intellectual English-literate Thai friends.

the difference being, of course, is that nearly none of my posts concern Immigration...

whereas you on the other hand... well, let's just say they have lots to go on and look into further from what you've thrown out there in 2 months.

but anyway... you're confident that Thaivisa is not being monitored... that's fine.

No need to worry... I'm sure they won't interfere with your visa runs... just keep believing that... :o

Edited by sriracha john

Of course. authorities are monitoring this board, just as they are monitoring all other Thailand related online forums ... and they're not only monitoring the visa forum - numerous proxies were blocked within an hour after some fool posted a link down in the IT-subforum.

Edited by Cyberstar

the difference being, of course, is that nearly none of my posts concern Immigration...

whereas you on the other hand... well, let's just say they have lots to go on and look into further from what you've thrown out there in 2 months.

but anyway... you're confident that Thaivisa is not being monitored... that's fine.

No need to worry... I'm sure they won't interfere with your visa runs... just keep believing that... :o

*sigh*...

You're so persistant Mr Sriracha. I can see how you average so many posts every week.

I don't know where you've posted most of your 8000 plus contributions, however there are numerous moderators on this forum to decide if information offered is "dangerous" or not. You appear extremely paranoid, that's for certain.

My visa runs will continue as long as they are allowed to continue, when they stop or they have been stopped by Immigration, I'll move on...that is no problem, and neither is it any concern of yours. That is my right and I'm breaking no rules Mr. Sriracha.

Edited by tropo

Thank you for expressing your persistent opinion, as well.

Your valuable posts over the past 2 months have been well worth a good read, even if only for the humor in them.

Not trying to going against your learned medical opinion, Dr. Tropo, BUT, if I was paranoid, I wouldn't have taken on the much bigger fish in my posts than the little Immigration minnows you've been trying to fry.

Still, your posts display an adept humorous angle so I look forward to reading more of them and thank you pointing out that you've not been breaking any rules...although I have no idea why you wish to state that as that was never a mentioned concern. Oh well, just a little nuance of the tropo persona, I suppose...

Anyway, Good luck and welcome to thaivisa.

My friend you don't understand much about Thais or the Thai system if you think that English speaking Thais wouldn't become immigration officers.

About 3 years ago, I was hauled into an office at Bangkok Immigration and was interviewed at length in English by a young immigration officer who spoke perfect English. He wasn't after me but was investigating some dodgy non immigrant visas that had been issued by a Uk Thai Consulate. I would say his Englsih was so good that he had almost certainly been educated overseas.

There are many English speaking Thais from rich families who will join the police force, immigration service, customs or whatever, and while they will never go to "boot camp" they do have to put in their time as lowly officers before connections and/or nepostism" thrust them up the promotion ladder.

You will find many English speaking rich Thais working in all kinds of low paid jobs - they don't need the money, so they do what they want - or what their daddy's tell them to do - normal rules don't apply in Thailand.

And last but not least, why on earth wouldn't immigration read a forum that calls itself THAI VISA?? :D

I would, if I was them :D

Do you really think it's all that hard to find an English-literate Thai? :D:D You need to get out and meet more Thais then.

My friend you don't understand much about Thais or the Thai system if you think that English speaking Thais wouldn't become immigration officers.

About 3 years ago, I was hauled into an office at Bangkok Immigration and was interviewed at length in English by a young immigration officer who spoke perfect English. He wasn't after me but was investigating some dodgy non immigrant visas that had been issued by a Uk Thai Consulate. I would say his Englsih was so good that he had almost certainly been educated overseas.

There are many English speaking Thais from rich families who will join the police force, immigration service, customs or whatever, and while they will never go to "boot camp" they do have to put in their time as lowly officers before connections and/or nepostism" thrust them up the promotion ladder.

You will find many English speaking rich Thais working in all kinds of low paid jobs - they don't need the money, so they do what they want - or what their daddy's tell them to do - normal rules don't apply in Thailand.

And last but not least, why on earth wouldn't immigration read a forum that calls itself THAI VISA?? :D

I would, if I was them :D

Absolutely correct :o

Of course. authorities are monitoring this board, just as they are monitoring all other Thailand related online forums ... and they're not only monitoring the visa forum - numerous proxies were blocked within an hour after some fool posted a link down in the IT-subforum.

Okay enough with the hysteria. The implication by some is that the Thai Immigration authorities are monitoring ThaiVisa.com so therefore be careful what you say or this and that particular visa strategy will be shutdown.

Lets take a minute and examine this theory.

What other statistical/intelligence gathering methods does Thai Immigration have at their disposal?

A computerized database of Visa records. Hmm. So at any given time they know how many VOA's, TV's, Non Imm etc's are being issued and and by what consulate, point of entry etc. There is a lot information that could be mined from such a database.

A network of Immigration Officials and employees who are reporting operational details and making reports. Consul generals, Immigration police, HR administrators, etc etc. Add to that the regular police, tourist police, and other public sector officials and employees.

I would guess they know about ThaiVisa and have occasionally visited it but when they have the ability to query relational databases and generate reports of aggregate numbers and trends then please tell me why they would care about some anecdotal reports on ThaiVisa. Surely if I was trying to make accurate decisions based on real numbers I would stick to how many Visa's are being issued, What type of Visa, where are they being issued and to who are they being issued. Then I would listen to the organization. What are the consulates and border points reporting. Why bother with Thai.Visa.com???

So my recommendation is steer clear of the paranoia and continue to post visa trip reports and share information so that others who wish to be informed can make good decisions.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie