Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

Please don't all jump on me from a great height, but yesterday a friend from BKK called and told me that a UK lawyer from one of the major frim there and who is connected to the British Club had stated in some publication that retirees only need 400,000 to extend their visas if they are married to a Thai. This is not a marriage visa, this is a retirement visa, but with a Thai wife.

For me, his is deja vu, as it was about 12 months ago that I too tried to renew on this basis and got myself into all kinds of Sh..t.

Has anyone else heard of this new wrinkle to the rules - or is it just a load of crap?

RULE 1 Rarely trust a lawyer ( and in this case, never trust his wrong advice )

if you were of retierment age with a thai wife, would you not be able to get a spousal visa, thus only needing 400000 in the bank?

Nope.

ok so im married to a thai and i have a non imm o spousal visa, at what age does the Thai law change and stipulate(sp) i must now be classed as retiered?

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok so im married to a thai and i have a non imm o spousal visa, at what age does the Thai law change and stipulate(sp) i must now be classed as retiered?

You can contine to obtain visa extensions on the grounds of marriage to Thai well into old age, provided you fulfill income requiremnets etc, and they don't change the rules. :D

However if you are fifty or over, you can apply for an extension on the basis oif retirement - again providing you satisfy the retirement rules - 800k in the bank etc.

Retirement extensions appear to to be much easier to get than marriage extensions, and local immigration officers have the authority to issue them as opposed to marriage extensions, which must be referred to Bangkok for final approval.

This business of reducing th retirement visa requirement to 400k if you're married was clearly off the wall, but you never know in a country where rules are changed at a moment's notice. :o

Please don't all jump on me from a great height, but yesterday a friend from BKK called and told me that a UK lawyer from one of the major frim there and who is connected to the British Club had stated in some publication that retirees only need 400,000 to extend their visas if they are married to a Thai. This is not a marriage visa, this is a retirement visa, but with a Thai wife.

For me, his is deja vu, as it was about 12 months ago that I too tried to renew on this basis and got myself into all kinds of Sh..t.

Has anyone else heard of this new wrinkle to the rules - or is it just a load of crap?

RULE 1 Rarely trust a lawyer ( and in this case, never trust his wrong advice )

if you were of retierment age with a thai wife, would you not be able to get a spousal visa, thus only needing 400000 in the bank?

Nope.

You stay on the O visa based on support forever if you wish. You never need to convert to a retirement visa unless you want to for your own reasons.

Hi

Everybody keeps refering to the Baht 800,000 deposit however if you are married to a Thai spouse it is in fact Baht 400,000 as per OP.

IMHO I think that the majority of farangs who are genuinely committed to Thailand fall into this category.

See extract...

The so called married man’s visa.

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

So in fact reduction in deposit. Apologies if this has been covered already but I have lost the will to read all the postings :o

TBWG :D

I am not married anymore so have no thai wife. I do have a my half thai daughter in school here and I live here so... I can apply for the extension based supporting a thai national on that as well but it is ONLY done in Bangkok ( as is the marriage one).

I have been here for over 22 years. part of the time on a work permit, part on marriage visa, part on tourists visas, now for 6 years on a retirement extension. You call that committed or ....

Hi Phuketrichard

I would certainly call you ultra committed, however unfortunatley no legislation can cover every scenario and this is where local decision making on individual circumstances should come into effect, however, we all know this is not a Thai strong point.

I do sympathise and wish you all the best.

Thanks TBWG. Your information is appreciated. Do you know if the married man's visa requirement of Bt400,000 can be a combination of pension and cash in the bank.

I met with the senior immigration officer at Kap Cheong yesterday and he left me in no doubt whatsoever that the BT 800,000 for a retirement visa MUST be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to applying for or renewing the visa. If the amount of Bt800,000 is a combination of pension and cash then not only must the cash portion have been in the bank for 3 months but a notarised letter from my Embassy must be presented guaranteeing that the pension is valid.

Cheers,

Bicko

Hi

Everybody keeps refering to the Baht 800,000 deposit however if you are married to a Thai spouse it is in fact Baht 400,000 as per OP.

IMHO I think that the majority of farangs who are genuinely committed to Thailand fall into this category.

See extract...

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

So in fact reduction in deposit. Apologies if this has been covered already but I have lost the will to read all the postings :o

I am not married anymore so have no thai wife. I do have a my half thai daughter in school here and I live here so... I can apply for the extension based supporting a thai national on that as well but it is ONLY done in Bangkok ( as is the marriage one).

I have been here for over 22 years. part of the time on a work permit, part on marriage visa, part on tourists visas, now for 6 years on a retirement extension. You call that committed or ....

Hi Phuketrichard

I would certainly call you ultra committed, however unfortunatley no legislation can cover every scenario and this is where local decision making on individual circumstances should come into effect, however, we all know this is not a Thai strong point.

Thanks TBWG. Your information is appreciated. Do you know if the married man's visa requirement of Bt400,000 can be a combination of pension and cash in the bank.

I met with the senior immigration officer at Kap Cheong yesterday and he left me in no doubt whatsoever that the BT 800,000 for a retirement visa MUST be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to applying for or renewing the visa. If the amount of Bt800,000 is a combination of pension and cash then not only must the cash portion have been in the bank for 3 months but a notarised letter from my Embassy must be presented guaranteeing that the pension is valid.

Cheers,

Bicko

I think you will find that the info provided by TBWG and posted on 2 Oct is now incorrect.

It is my clear understanding that there is no longer an option for married people to have 400k in the bank. Only verifiable monthly income is now accepted to extend visas for those under fifty who are married toThai nationals.

Can someone confirm my undertsanding on this? Sunbelt? Lopburi?

The only people able to use the 400k marriage support are those who were in the system prior to recent change. That option has been removed and now there is a flat 40k per month family income requirement (which can be husband/wife/joint).

The 3 month rule for retirement has not been applied to renewals as of yet as people have not been aware of the change but expect it will be in the future (when may be subject to individual situations).

Under the new law there is no written requirement (in the English translation) for money to be in bank for 3 months when using a joint 65k income/bank deposit provision that I can see. But I suspect it may be asked for.

The only people able to use the 400k marriage support are those who were in the system prior to recent change. That option has been removed and now there is a flat 40k per month family income requirement (which can be husband/wife/joint).

The 3 month rule for retirement has not been applied to renewals as of yet as people have not been aware of the change but expect it will be in the future (when may be subject to individual situations).

Under the new law there is no written requirement (in the English translation) for money to be in bank for 3 months when using a joint 65k income/bank deposit provision that I can see. But I suspect it may be asked for.

Thanks Lopburi.

I know your above statement has been posted many times before, but with 53 pages, and a lot of confusing posts (including mine :D ), it's as well to restate it now and again as people are still using out of date info.

:o

lopburi3, you seem quite knowledgable in the correct facts and proceudres. Therefore, I will address

this to you.

I will be able to retire in January of 2007 or anytime during 2007 that I choose. I have a Thai wife

that is a US citizen. She possesses a new Thai id-card and is the sole name on a tabian baan for our

Isaan home. What will WE need for attaining our goal of a retirement status for the both of us to be

in Thailand for a time-frame beyond that of VOA? Funds of what amount in an account or proof of a

monthly income for me or both? Info such as this will be greatly appreciated. I have tried contacting

two Thai consulates here in the US and neither has responded.

If you wife does not currently have a Thai passport obtain one. Use that passport when she enters Thailand. That will take care of her.

You have the option to obtain a retirement visa in the US before you travel. It is called non immigrant O-A. It requires proof of bank account in US having 800k; police check paper, and a short medical paper that you don't have 5 conditions. This should be obtain in the multi entry version which will allow you a one year permitted to stay on any entry during the one year validity of the visa (so in effect takes care of you for up to 2 years).

You also have to option to obtain a non immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage and then extend it here in Thailand. That will require bank account record of 3 months in Thailand and 800k deposit. Alternative is 65k annual income/pension and letter from Embassy confirming and supporting paperwork. To travel with this extension requires re-entry permits at 1,000 baht each of 3,800 baht per year so not really a savings over "O-A" for most people.

what level of pension do you need to negate the need for cash in bank ?

67,000 baht per month, or 800K pension income per year. For a retirement visa.

The requirement is 65k per month - there is no annual requirement unless used with bank deposit:

(3) Having evidence showing the

monthly income not less than

65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht or,

(5) Having annual income

combined with the saving

money in the Bank not less than

800,000 Baht from on the date

submitting the application.

The requirement is 65k per month - there is no annual requirement unless used with bank deposit:

I have often pondered the mathematics of that. 800,000 divided by 12 = 66,666. Why did they come out with $65,000?

If you wife does not currently have a Thai passport obtain one. Use that passport when she enters Thailand. That will take care of her.

You have the option to obtain a retirement visa in the US before you travel. It is called non immigrant O-A. It requires proof of bank account in US having 800k; police check paper, and a short medical paper that you don't have 5 conditions. This should be obtain in the multi entry version which will allow you a one year permitted to stay on any entry during the one year validity of the visa (so in effect takes care of you for up to 2 years).

You also have to option to obtain a non immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage and then extend it here in Thailand. That will require bank account record of 3 months in Thailand and 800k deposit. Alternative is 65k annual income/pension and letter from Embassy confirming and supporting paperwork. To travel with this extension requires re-entry permits at 1,000 baht each of 3,800 baht per year so not really a savings over "O-A" for most people.

Thank you for the prompt response and useful information. I will definitely file it and utilize it when we

do apply for visa(s) in 2007. Khob khun maak....chok dee....

I have often pondered the mathematics of that. 800,000 divided by 12 = 66,666. Why did they come out with $65,000?

its the number of the best plus 66

so dont go there

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, 17 days to go until we really start to find out what's going on with Tourist Visas...

I've just renewed my multi entry Non Imm 'O' visa at Hull. We go next month to retire in Thailand. I have the requirements to get an O-A there. except maybe.. I haven't organised a police record check..it will come up clean...do I need to get one..I understand its about 6 weeks to get one now..anyone know for definite if this is needed..thanks

i m just found a good explaination :D about the " new rules"

from khaosarnroad dot com

-----------------------

On Saturday night Sabah Cafe & Cinema had a semi-formal visit from Immigration Police Major Suppachai Paladech, Inspector of the Immigration Detention Centre and Secretary to the Commissioner of Immigration; technically the second in command at Immigration. The intended purpose of the visit was to clear up some rumors and ally fears that many long term 'tourist' are having regarding the implementation of updated immigration regulations on the 1st October 2006.

To avoid confusion and in the interest of clarity, questions and answers were discussed by a few before the process was repeated with an adjudicator and Police Major Suppachai Paladech addressing an audience.

-

Questions and Answers:

Question: It is obvious that the present border runners will change into visa runners to other countries. What are the Department of Immigrations thoughts on this?

Police Major Suppachai: From October 1st you can travel to the border and re-enter 3 times using the system of waiver of a visa. After that, if you get a single entry tourist visa from abroad you can stay here for 60 days, after that you can get a visa extension for 30 days, so it is already 6 months. Each time you leave the country you can come back with the visa extension again, so the tourist visa intervenes.

Question: So if we buy a tourist visa and extend it for 1 month can we leave buy another tourist visa and back, can we continue to do that?

Police Major Suppachai: Yes, you can do that. We don't want some people staying on visa extensions for ever. Some people stay for 10 years. The main thing at the moment is that now people that come to Thailand for 10 years are not getting screened. With the tourist visa the police now have a chance to check the people that are not on the blacklist. That is the main thing of this new law.

Question: When does the new rule effecting 90-day maximum wavered visas come into affect?

Police Major Suppachai: It means that the person who has been staying on visa extensions for years, you can depart. If your visa ends on the 30 September, you leave the country and come back on the 30th September, you still can use that 3 times. There was misinformation on the Internet, it doesn't count by stamps, it counts by days. This is very important, it counts by days not stamps. Yeah counts by days.

Question: This is going to effect the airlines. How is Immigration going to handle this? How does an airline know when a passenger comes to their stamp quota? The airline is responsible for their passenger?

Police Major Suppachai: Your question is a very good question. OK we know that from the first of October it counts from 90 days and the problems will come back. Many people will be stopped at the border, right. So within 90 days we will try to do something. Because we are thinking about the electronic visas. We will use that kind of visa where the airline will have to submit the name of the person to our office before to issue the ticket, similar system to the US. It needs at least 1 year.

We don't want people using that kind of system (visa waiver) to stay in our country forever, we have to use the tourist visa to intervene in that system to screen them, to screen the people who are staying in our country.

Question: We have heard that there will be a 3 month visa you can buy here in Bangkok. Is this a new rule, if so when is it in place, is it already in existence, can you explain?

Police Major Suppachai: It is not a new visa, it is a new regulation for foreigners who don't have a visa, but visa extension, it means you can apply for a non immigration type B and O at the Immigration Bureau.

Question: In Thailand right?

Police Major Suppachai: Yes. But it means that you have to have at least 3 weeks, I mean visa. It means when you come in right, you have 4 weeks. In the first week you have to contact immigration, in Bangkok in Suan Phlu and submit the papers that you want to change your visa. You have to have a visa. Before we could change the category of visa from tourist to non-immigrant, but this time we can issue the visa as well.

A summary of points that were discussed in more detail:

The reason for the new regulations are twofold:

1. Try to eliminate known foreign criminals from entering Thailand. It is desired by the authorities that those staying longer term in Thailand should be screened through a more thorough computer system available at Embassies, Consulates and Immigration offices. Hence the reasoning of forcing people into applying for longer stays after a maximum of 90 days by obtaining 3 consecutive free 30 day waivers of a visa at entry points. Border crossing checkpoints are currently limited to screening out undesirables on the 'Blacklist' and high profile undesirables.

2. Persuade foreigners that are on the incorrect visas or stamps to correct their paperwork in line with the law. By making the trip to an Embassy, Consulate or Immigration office necessary within 90 days from 1st October 2006, it is hoped that foreigners who are disrespecting Thai law rectify the situation by applying for the correct visa. To aid this, Non immigrant B and O visas will be issued inside Thailand at the Immigration Office in Bangkok. IMPORTANTLY, to apply you have to have at least 3 weeks remaining on your current stamp and obviously the correct paperwork. The visa needed to apply is yet to be clarified.

The Department of Immigration controls borders and The Department of Foreign Affairs controls Consulates and Embassies. There has been no official orders to tighten controls on issuing visas abroad. It is at the discretion of the issuing officer. It is business as usual. There is and never was a guarantee that you would be issued a single, double, etc visa. At borders the 90 day max of 'waivers of a visa' will be enforced once your 90 days FROM 1st October have been utilized within the period of 180 days.

Days in country are counted and NOT number of stamps. There is an issue here with airlines and the Department of Immigration understands this. It is their wish that a system similar to something like the US where passenger list are checked electronically before departure will be installed in the future to eliminate problems. This may take some time.

The Department of Immigration understands that their will be problems with the new regulations and will review as necessary.

-----------------

:D

That was one of the very first articles posted at the beginning of September before the Military Coup.

Since then it has proven not quite so easy to obtain Tourist Visas from some neigboring countries.

Edited by tropo

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, 17 days to go until we really start to find out what's going on with Tourist Visas...

I've just renewed my multi entry Non Imm 'O' visa at Hull. We go next month to retire in Thailand. I have the requirements to get an O-A there. except maybe.. I haven't organised a police record check..it will come up clean...do I need to get one..I understand its about 6 weeks to get one now..anyone know for definite if this is needed..thanks

After your arrival in Thailand you should open a Thai bank account as soon as possible, if you don't have one yet, then transfer the equivalent of minimum 800,000 Baht to this account. When the money has been in the account for at least 3 months, go to the local immigration office and apply for an annual extension of stay for retirement (you don't apply for O-A). You definitely don't need a police report for that. What you need, in addition to your passport and savings account book, are 2 passport photos and a letter from your bank confirming the balance.

--

Maestro

John can also use retirement pension/income as certified by his Embassy of 65k per month (baht) to obtain the extension of stay, or a lower amount can be used to offset the bank deposit 800k amount. In Bangkok only one photo is required for the TM.7 extension of stay form but if you want to buy a re entry permit have extra for that. As said not police report or medical required and only when obtained outside of Thailand is it called "O-A".

Hi

See extract...

Hi Phuketrichard

Thanks, I feel much more at home here than I do in America.

It seems now that things have been made easy for us that have been married and have kids. With the new law we can apply for a extension based on the fact we wish to LIVE with our thai child!!!

Note new wording. no longer SUPPORT (you needed 400,000 in the bank ) but to live with. Sunbelt states NO MONEY IN THE BANK>>>NO INCOME. this is ONLY issued in Bangkok.

SO they have made it easy for us. What i will do is come Jan ( well in advance of when my extension is up and most of the dust has settled comcerning the new extension), I will go with the print out to the immigration office and ask them about this.

Still gives me plenty of time to arrnage the $$ in the bank if they say no.

In phuket they have always been very helpfull and fater going to the same office for so many years.....

Another option is after 3 consecutive 1 year extensions you can apply for a residence permit!!

BE aware that everything can change when the NEW goverment comes in.

I had a friend that had spent the past year setting up to obtain his thai citizenship for himself and his Australian family, completed all the paper work, had all the interviews and the head of the correct dept was due to fly down to Phuket to finalize things. Then the coup... stopped the whole thing.

The new goverment might change everything... wait>>>>>and Jai Yen

Edited by phuketrichard

It seems now that things have been made easy for us that have been married and have kids. With the new law we can apply for a extension based on the fact we wish to LIVE with our thai child!!!

Note new wording. no longer SUPPORT (you needed 400,000 in the bank ) but to live with. Sunbelt states NO MONEY IN THE BANK>>>NO INCOME. this is ONLY issued in Bangkok.

This only applies to those over age 50 with a Thai child. Marriage or marriage with children under age 50 requires family income of 40k per month and a 3 month record prior to application.

I believe this was one of the first threads offering an explanation of the new visa regulations.

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually left Thailand permanently as a result of the current uncertainty.

Personally, I've changed my spending habits a lot since I first heard about them. I'm leasing a condo on a 6 month basis, but this month my first 6-month period at this residence has come to an end and my landlord is allowing me to rent month to month as a result of this uncertainty. My original plan was to pay 6 months up front to save some rent money.

When I first heard about the new regulations I stopped buying anything other than day to day essentials, faced with the possibility of having to move to another country next year.

It's the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what is going to happen next year that is the real problem. If I know that I have to leave next year on a certain date there would be absolutely no problems at all and I would just go ahead and plan the move.

Once again, have any of you actually left, or are planning to leave soon because of these changes?

Edited by tropo

After your arrival in Thailand you should open a Thai bank account as soon as possible, if you don't have one yet, then transfer the equivalent of minimum 800,000 Baht to this account. When the money has been in the account for at least 3 months, go to the local immigration office and apply for an annual extension of stay for retirement (you don't apply for O-A). You definitely don't need a police report for that. What you need, in addition to your passport and savings account book, are 2 passport photos and a letter from your bank confirming the balance.

--

Maestro

I wonder what this new foreign exchange regulation effective 19 Dec (see article below) is going to do to transfers of funds to Thailand by foreign individuals who need to show cash for visa purposes and to have money to live on. The regulations seem only to exclude transfers for the purchases of goods and services. Even direct investments are subject to the 30% reserve requirement until it can proved there is a genuine investment. Obviously foreign retirees and long term stayers are not having a speculative effect on the baht and the BoT is not targetting them. However, the regulations seem to have been implemented in haste and it is quite possible that this class of inflow was not even thought about and therefore included.

The Nation

Capital inflows subject to 30% withholding

Bank of Thailand to order financial institutions to withhold reserve requirement of 30 per cent of capital inflows, effective as of Tuesday to curb rising short-term inflows which push bath to a new 9-year high Monday at Baht35.09 to the US dollar.

Funds withheld from inflows for foreign direct investment can be returned as soon as evidence of the investment is provided.

Otherwise, all of the withheld funds can be returned after one year, as long as it can be documented that the initial funds remained in the country for the entire period. If the funds are withdrawn from the country in less than one year, only two-thirds of the amount withheld will be returned to investors.

--

Maestro

I wonder what this new foreign exchange regulation effective 19 Dec (see article below) is going to do to transfers of funds to Thailand by foreign individuals who need to show cash for visa purposes and to have money to live on. The regulations seem only to exclude transfers for the purchases of goods and services. Even direct investments are subject to the 30% reserve requirement until it can proved there is a genuine investment. Obviously foreign retirees and long term stayers are not having a speculative effect on the baht and the BoT is not targetting them. However, the regulations seem to have been implemented in haste and it is quite possible that this class of inflow was not even thought about and therefore included.

The Nation

Capital inflows subject to 30% withholding

Bank of Thailand to order financial institutions to withhold reserve requirement of 30 per cent of capital inflows, effective as of Tuesday to curb rising short-term inflows which push bath to a new 9-year high Monday at Baht35.09 to the US dollar.

Funds withheld from inflows for foreign direct investment can be returned as soon as evidence of the investment is provided.

Otherwise, all of the withheld funds can be returned after one year, as long as it can be documented that the initial funds remained in the country for the entire period. If the funds are withdrawn from the country in less than one year, only two-thirds of the amount withheld will be returned to investors.

However, the regulations seem to have been implemented in haste ..............

In Thailand

Never

ONE MORE WEEK! until 90 days are up since October 1.

It couldn't have come soon enough. How successful will all the tourist visa applicants be? I'm sure the queues in Penang and Laos consulates/embassies will be long.

Edited by tropo