Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

Sigh....when will thai immigration or those in charge learn to take care of foreigners so they can take their money and not make them feel unwelcome with all the unfriendly visa's and visa runs every 2 or 3 motnhs when in developed countries one can just go to police station to apply for extention after extension wih out having to travel out of the country spend one's money in a different country.

Embarrassing for thailand the visa system.

That would be when the powers that be get over their xenophobia(sp?). and the wealthy stop keeping the poor down.

I must say one thing that gets me about living here is knowing I will always be in limbo. It really isn't fair how this country treats none nationals while the home countries of the none nationals would welcome their spouses and children with open arms.

Even allowing them to become citizens.

The idea that it's best to stop none nationals owning anything here is best for the country is daft.

If they wanted to they could quite easily allow families containing none nationals to own enough land to build a house on, maybe a maximum of 1 rai, and that land would have to be used for residential only.

The general line for the refusal of such a plan is it would push up land prices. This of course is not true.

An example would be Ko Chang, most of the land there is own by wealthy thais, does this not push the price of land up or something?

For me, I live in BKK and the idea that me owning half a rai of land in the burbs could effect the land prices on sukhumvit is silly to say the least. You're right on an international stage the immigration policies of this country are an embarrasment.

Classic why would you want to buy land here when you can rent real cheap do what I am doing build it for your g/f and dont be in a rush to finish it this way she hangs around longer LOL easiest way to get rid of a girl is pay cash for her and she and the house or the car is gone LOL

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Classic why would you want to buy land here when you can rent real cheap do what I am doing build it for your g/f and dont be in a rush to finish it this way she hangs around longer LOL easiest way to get rid of a girl is pay cash for her and she and the house or the car is gone LOL

not quite sure i understand your angle??

i'm a family man, i have money, all though i'm not loaded, why would i not want to own something? rent is dead money no matter how small the amount! I'd like to have a family home that belongs to the family not just the wife, even more so if it was my money that built it. My wife is a lawyer, as it is now she would never dream of stiching me up but i have learnt once already, you never know what the future holds when it comes to relationships.

Of course i know there are ways round it all but why bother.

it's deeper than just owning a plot anyway, it's about human rights as a husband and father. it's about being recognised as both!

I don't cost anyone anything while i live here, making me leagal as in allowed to stay without reporting and extending visas isn't going to change that either.

like i said its daft, silly and stupid, before anyone says why do you live here then, the answer would be appart from the immi bull i have to put up with i like it!

Edited by classic-chassis

Sigh....when will thai immigration or those in charge learn to take care of foreigners so they can take their money and not make them feel unwelcome with all the unfriendly visa's and visa runs every 2 or 3 motnhs when in developed countries one can just go to police station to apply for extention after extension wih out having to travel out of the country spend one's money in a different country.

What countries would those be? Please tell me what developed countries one can go to without a proper visa, work or not, stay a long time, and just go to the police station and continue extending it.

Look forward to your reply.

Of course the powers that be read this, but why should that be a negative thing? It is difficult to stay here long term (legally) if you are too young and/or not working etc. But this is not our country, we don't really belong here, if we did just how many of us would still be here?? The problems at the moment are due to people staying here for years without visas and also insurgents down south. I like it here and will try to stay on as long as possible, but I know I am 'ferang'.

Please can someone help me? i have been told that they wont be issuing visas after December,(ie Jan 1st onwards), and will only be allowing border runs. This was told to me by a member of the councils office, is this true or not as i was planning to get my visa in Jan. Also which is the best country to go to?

Thanks for your help

"Thailand makes billions and billions of dollars on visa fees"

Sure it does. They've also perfected room-temperature nuclear fission, water-into-wine, lead-into-gold, and hot air into dollars. Amazing.

would be easy enough to work out ,

just tell me the number of tourists per year and the average visa fee :o

"Thailand makes billions and billions of dollars on visa fees"

Sure it does. They've also perfected room-temperature nuclear fission, water-into-wine, lead-into-gold, and hot air into dollars. Amazing.

I think we could probably guess a lot less. They don't make anything on a VOA. Under the new scheme they would make a lot more.

let's loosely suppose 10 million tourists times 2000 baht each = 2 billion baht.

I figure some of these tourists get more than one visa in a year and also extend visa's and pay overstay etc.

Any estimates? after the new rules their revenue will be a lot higher.

Maybe they are just after the money but if that's the case they could let people pay higher fees in exchange for not having to make visa runs.

Please can someone help me? i have been told that they wont be issuing visas after December,(ie Jan 1st onwards), and will only be allowing border runs. This was told to me by a member of the councils office, is this true or not as i was planning to get my visa in Jan. Also which is the best country to go to?

Thanks for your help

which councils office told you this?

Thanks for your help

My friend in BKK told me his friend in the council office told him, not solid reliable information i know but now it has me worried. i previously tried to talk to someone in the Immigration in Chiang Mai but nobody seems to speak English,(or they do and just like to pretend they dont when it comes to me asking about a visa grr...). Who shall i contact to find out what is really going on? is anybody else going in January? there most be loads of people.

Thanks for your help

My friend in BKK told me his friend in the council office told him, not solid reliable information i know but now it has me worried. i previously tried to talk to someone in the Immigration in Chiang Mai but nobody seems to speak English,(or they do and just like to pretend they dont when it comes to me asking about a visa grr...). Who shall i contact to find out what is really going on? is anybody else going in January? there most be loads of people.

I haven't read anything to corroborate that. People have posted recent Visa success in the past few days. Are you just talking about Tourist Visas? Completely contrary to anything I have heard about the new laws. I think maybe your friend has an iffy source etc.

How come you changed your story from a number of councils to a friend?

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Thanks for your help

I haven't read anything to corroborate that. People have posted recent Visa success in the past few days. Are you just talking about Tourist Visas? Completely contrary to anything I have heard about the new laws. I think maybe your friend has an iffy source etc.

Yea i am talking about tourist visas, i know people are still getting visas now i am just worried that so many people wil go in January that they will get fed up and stop issuing them or something, because i dont need to go until the 22nd of Jan but if it gets harder and harder to get a visa depending on how many people are going maybe i should go sooner? My friend in BKK is friend with the person who is a member in the councils office, i just thought id say it was my friend in the council office because its easier and less confusing to explain.

Who would be the best people/offices to speak to and ask for advice?

What countries would those be? Please tell me what developed countries one can go to without a proper visa, work or not, stay a long time, and just go to the police station and continue extending it.

Well... I am an EU citizen and my thai lady with whom I have been living since 7 years cannot even get a tourist visa. So embarrassing for thailand the visa system ? The EU sytem is just a shame.

Thanks for your help

Yea i am talking about tourist visas, i know people are still getting visas now i am just worried that so many people wil go in January that they will get fed up and stop issuing them or something, because i dont need to go until the 22nd of Jan but if it gets harder and harder to get a visa depending on how many people are going maybe i should go sooner? My friend in BKK is friend with the person who is a member in the councils office, i just thought id say it was my friend in the council office because its easier and less confusing to explain.

ThaiVisa is a great place to watch for news like that. I really doubt its true. In any case you will know well before your Jan 22

Maybe you can go back to your friend and have him refine the info a little and post back here what you find out.

Thanks for your help

ThaiVisa is a great place to watch for news like that. I really doubt its true. In any case you will know well before your Jan 22

Maybe you can go back to your friend and have him refine the info a little and post back here what you find out.

yea i am trying just that right now, unfotunately hes one of those guys who doesnt like to be questioned so we will see, i think i will get a thai person to contact an embassey or something for me, see if i can get anywhere. lets hope my friend is wrong

Thailand makes billions and billions of dollars on visa fees, they will make even the 30 VOA more regulated in oder to make more even more visa fees, that seems to be the real motive more money and more money.

They have actually lost billions of dollars by forcing people to do border runs to get additional 30 days stamps. If they had had an "in house" extension available to allow extensions of up to 90 days in a row without leaving the country, they could have made a fortune. Imagine how much money would have been made say over the last 5 years if every visa runner paid a 1,900 baht extension for each 30 days instead of spending their cash on Cambodian, Laosan and other visas while doing border runs.

It might be an idea to do your tourist visa run in late December, or even sooner as the rush for TV's in January will be huge. You'll have a tough time finding accommodation and airfares, and if you do it could be very pricy.

Some Embassies/consulates are getting tough on the issue of TV's, but there is no indication yet that TV friendly locations are going to quit issuing them.

This is one of the big unknowns where no answer will be forth coming until January.

It might be an idea to do your tourist visa run in late December, or even sooner as the rush for TV's in January will be huge. You'll have a tough time finding accommodation and airfares, and if you do it could be very pricy.

Some Embassies/consulates are getting tough on the issue of TV's, but there is no indication yet that TV friendly locations are going to quit issuing them.

This is one of the big unknowns where no answer will be forth coming until January.

Yes i was thinking along these lines too cos there are going to be so many people going in January and i dont really have a lot of money either, i can book the airfare now which isnt a problem to Malaysia its just 433bhat one way if you book now, but i think you are right about accomodation, the people,(hostel/hotel owners etc),there will probably try and take advantage of the rush in the best way they can, i figure.

Where would you recommend the best, most cost efficent place to go is. And also if i go late December doesnt that mean i am going to lose a month? I ust hope everybody is right about them not quitting issuing TVs but i really dont understand why they should.

Thanks

Well... I am an EU citizen and my thai lady with whom I have been living since 7 years cannot even get a tourist visa. So embarrassing for thailand the visa system ? The EU sytem is just a shame.

It's fairly easy get her a visa to europe so long as she has a good sponsor and has a house and doesn't look like a bargirl whore who would leave you and just become another thai whore working there. enough of them in europe already.

Yes i was thinking along these lines too cos there are going to be so many people going in January and i dont really have a lot of money either, i can book the airfare now which isnt a problem to Malaysia its just 433bhat one way if you book now, but i think you are right about accomodation, the people,(hostel/hotel owners etc),there will probably try and take advantage of the rush in the best way they can, i figure.

Where would you recommend the best, most cost efficent place to go is. And also if i go late December doesnt that mean i am going to lose a month? I ust hope everybody is right about them not quitting issuing TVs but i really dont understand why they should.

Thanks

If my visa expired on January 22, I'd be going just before the Christmas rush starts and I'd go to Penang if I could get a decent airfare. There are a number of agents there that can easily get your TV for a 200 baht fee plus the 1000 baht visa fee. Check this forum for Penang visa run threads...there are many.

The cheapest way would be going overland to Savannakhet in Laos if you live in the Bangkok region. People seem to be having no problems securing TV's there right now.

As to what will happen at these consulates/embassies in January, no one knows, but many are confident they will continue to issue at least single entry TV's.

I have been interested reading the many stories relating to obtaining various visa's. I have just renewed my yearly marriage visa for the fourth time without any problems. My advice to long term residents with Thai wives is to be friendly and get to know the people in the visa section because you have to go every three months to 'check in' and if you are nice to them they will no doubt be more accommodating to you, staff do not change that often and there is a good chance you will see the same person every year, if you are married to a thai you need to be armed with the following information:

Passport, wifes id card, photograph of you with your wife (and children if any) , marriage certificate, birth certificates of children if applicable, house registration document if applicable, bank book, a letter from the bank confirming the balance and when the account was opened ( the book is not enough) and two passport size photographs of yourself. All these documents need to be photocopied 2 copies per item and your passport needs your information page copied (2) plus the page with your arrival stamp (2) plus your arrival card (2) and any other year visa's issued (2)

Try to copy all these documents before you come because the copy facility at the visa sections is usually expensive around 5 baht per copy.

IT IS CORRECT YOU NEED TO HAVE 400000 BAHT MINIMUM in your bank account for the 1 year marriage visa , however over the last two years i have always transfered the money into my bank account 1 week before going to get my letter from the bank and renewing my visa so the 3 MONTH RULE is not hard and fast in my experience with regard to the 40000 income per month i have not explored this route yet so i can not comment.

I obtained my new 1 year visa today, total interview time once (you have all the documnets copied ) approx 10 mins.

gunnerterry post:

Be aware the information on copies applies to upcountry posts - Bangkok would be one copy.

Also be aware there is no longer a 400k option for new applicants. You must have 40k family income for a marriage extension of stay.

Please don't all jump on me from a great height, but yesterday a friend from BKK called and told me that a UK lawyer from one of the major frim there and who is connected to the British Club had stated in some publication that retirees only need 400,000 to extend their visas if they are married to a Thai. This is not a marriage visa, this is a retirement visa, but with a Thai wife.

For me, his is deja vu, as it was about 12 months ago that I too tried to renew on this basis and got myself into all kinds of Sh..t.

Has anyone else heard of this new wrinkle to the rules - or is it just a load of crap?

Please don't all jump on me from a great height, but yesterday a friend from BKK called and told me that a UK lawyer from one of the major frim there and who is connected to the British Club had stated in some publication that retirees only need 400,000 to extend their visas if they are married to a Thai. This is not a marriage visa, this is a retirement visa, but with a Thai wife.

For me, his is deja vu, as it was about 12 months ago that I too tried to renew on this basis and got myself into all kinds of Sh..t.

Has anyone else heard of this new wrinkle to the rules - or is it just a load of crap?

RULE 1 Rarely trust a lawyer ( and in this case, never trust his wrong advice )

if you were of retierment age with a thai wife, would you not be able to get a spousal visa, thus only needing 400000 in the bank?

if you were of retierment age with a thai wife, would you not be able to get a spousal visa, thus only needing 400000 in the bank?

Nope.