Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

The so called married man’s visa.

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

In reality, 400K in the bank no longer qualifies you, unless you have been exempted before Oct 1st 2006 as this is the Immigration officer’s interpretation in BKK today...

As the new regulation reads...

National Police Office Order No. 606/2006 clause 7. 17 (6)

In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife. Then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

. According to the Criterion No. 6, the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account, or evidences of personal income of either party or both that shows the total income of both parties not less than 40,000 Baht per month, such as the evidence of the personal income tax filing and the receipt, evidence of being a pensioner, credentials of receiving the interest of the saving money, or the evidences of having other income from other related organizations.

Example: You work on a oil rig outside Thailand, you can show" A letter of employment and salary" from that company that you get a salary more than 40,000 Baht per month.

Example: Your Thai wife makes more than 40,000 Baht per month. If she can show proof, you as a foreigner do not need to show proof of income in Thailand or outside Thailand.

Example: You work inside Thailand and make 20,000 Baht and your wife makes 20,000 Baht. You must show a copy of your work permit and proof of income along with your wife income.

Example: You do not work and neither does your wife. You must show proof of pension, from a letter of such from your Embassy that you get more than 40,000 Baht per month.

Example: You now for the first time apply for the so called married man's visa. You cannot just show just 400,000 Baht in the bank account to qualify. You need to show you and your wife gets a personal income not less than 40,000 Baht per month. If your income is inside Thailand, you need a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THERE ARE A LOT OF COUNTRYS OFFER MORE

MORE SECURITY,MORE CLEANBEACHES,STREETS WHO ARE SAVE !!! AND AND AND

BUT FACT IS

1. THAIPEOPLE ARE VERY FRIENDLY

2. LIVING COSTS ARE CHEAP, 2000 Us $ GIVE YOU AN EASY LIVE, WHAT IN EUROPE OR US COST YOU 6000

3. CROUDED STREETS INSTEAD OF DEADSTREETS

4. THE LOVELY GIRLS AND NIGHTLIFE

5. GOOD INFRASTRUCTURE OF FOREIGN SHOPS AND FOOD ( MADE by illeagal worker and people investing in buissenes under very unfriendly conditions from goverment and competition)

or you think somebody want to saty longtime here and only eat somtam and fired rice

no we stay BEAUSE OF THE GOOD INFRASTRUCTURE BUILD UP BY MANY FOREIGGNERS FOR FOREIGNERS.........................................

and dont forget that we can learn englsih amd spelt goon too

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

In reality, 400K in the bank no longer qualifies you, unless you have been exempted before Oct 1st 2006 as this is the Immigration officer’s interpretation in BKK today...

In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife. Then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

. According to the Criterion No. 6, the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account, or evidences of personal income of either party or both that shows the total income of both parties not less than 40,000 Baht per month, such as the evidence of the personal income tax filing and the receipt, evidence of being a pensioner, credentials of receiving the interest of the saving money, or the evidences of having other income from other related organizations.

Example: You work on a oil rig outside Thailand, you can show" A letter of employment and salary" from that company that you get a salary more than 40,000 Baht per month.

Example: Your Thai wife makes more than 40,000 Baht per month. If she can show proof, you as a foreigner do not need to show proof of income in Thailand or outside Thailand.

Example: You work inside Thailand and make 20,000 Baht and your wife makes 20,000 Baht. You must show a copy of your work permit and proof of income along with your wife income.

Example: You do not work and neither does your wife. You must show proof of pension, from a letter of such from your Embassy that you get more than 40,000 Baht per month.

Example: You now for the first time apply for the so called married man's visa. You cannot just show just 400,000 Baht in the bank account to qualify. You need to show you and your wife gets a personal income not less than 40,000 Baht per month. If your income is inside Thailand, you need a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but....

Then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.
the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account

the two above quotes imply that the one below is not correct.

Cheers

what i dont understand is i have a retirement visa and so must show 65k per month whereas if i married i only have to show 40K

Q1, so when i get married do i dump the retirement visa for a marrage visa?

part 2

my retire visa is due for renewal in Jan so this does not give me 3 months lead time to meet these new requirements.

Q2. If i get married then Thai wife can show this income for the past 12 months so will that suffice?

Thailands a great place until you have to do something!!!

Edited by BlackJack

Thankyou, Tropo for your help..

So its between Phnom Penh and Penang for a 90 day visa... Been to Penang before and it wasnt too bad but fancied Phnom Penh this time..... Wheres best?

I've never been to Phnom Penh. I've only done the visa runs to Penang and the Cambodia border towns.

Maybe some knowledgeable members could give us an idea of alternatives and what they're like. I too was considering giving Phnom Penh a try in the future and KL.

ok see if anyone can help me out with this. i got a triple entry tourist visa (60 days per entry) from penang on august 6th or so. it seems like as of october 1 this would be changed to 90 days per entry and would eliminate the necessity for the extension. but since i got my visa before october 1, this friday (the 6th) my first 60 days is up, and i was planning to go to samui and extend that for the usual 30 days at the immigration office. can i still get this extension? (do i need it?) if i can not get the extension, i will probably need to leave the country and come back in... will probably go to ranong or poipet. i have lots of cambodian stamps in my passport, but they are just the border runs to renew another entry of 60 days (for past multi- entry visas) for the past year or two. will they be likely to let me back in for my 2nd set of 60 (or 90?) days? or will i need to return to my home country? ack! i am not in a position to run back to the US right now...

ok maybe i will put this in the form of a simpler question. if you have a multi-entry tourist visa which you got before october 1st, and need to go to extend the first 60 day entry on friday, what is likely to happen? i have been living on back to back multi-entry tourist visas for a couple of years, as my employer is in the US, but i do not need to be there to work.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.
the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account

Cheers

Sunbelt apologies if those examples are from the immigration department and not yours.

Is it correct that those seeking to change to retirement visas will have to show that they have had 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 3 months already? (or alternatively that their income is at least 65,000 baht per month).

Whilst I imagine most intending retirees would have those funds, it does seem an unfair provision that they should have had the funds in a bank for 3 months already. In view of current Thai interest rates on savings accounts it seems especially unreasonable. Ditto term deposits: better interest can be had offshore.

These so called major changes, just make life harder, but with no real improvment in the system, unless you count the tourist visa not needing to be extended. It would also seem that even if you are geuinely married, you could end up with a 7 days red stamp in your passport, and not real explaination given, and no form of legal redress. I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife! Make the most of Thailand whilst you can, doesn't look like there may be so many of us around in the future! And those of you with money, don't bring it here!

what utter bullshit! "I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife! "

In the UK spouses are rejected for no reason to have visas and lawyers have tried to use human rights violations to argue a man/woman have the right to their families and it was rejected on the basis that the "british citizen" can effectively "<deleted> ck off to the partners country!!!"

I ought to know as have been battling British imi for a year with lawyers (have finally won it seems but on a technicallity NOT human rights)

No one gives a <deleted> if you married in Thiland or UK

ok maybe i will put this in the form of a simpler question. if you have a multi-entry tourist visa which you got before october 1st, and need to go to extend the first 60 day entry on friday, what is likely to happen? i have been living on back to back multi-entry tourist visas for a couple of years, as my employer is in the US, but i do not need to be there to work.

That's a very good question you brought up there. I'm in exactly the same position as you are except I got my 3-entry tourist visa (Penang) on August 23 so I have a few more weeks to consider that question.

I first read about the change from 60 days to 90 days today, and I'm sure there would be no one able to answer that question just yet. My best guess would be that you will get a 30 day extension on October 6 and when you do a visa run a month later, you'll get the 90-day stamp. I guess they'll start the 90 day stamping on new entries after October 1.

I'd be very interested to find out what happens on October 6 when you apply for an extension. Could it be free?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Cheers

As I said this is how they are stating today with the warning" No more just showing money in a bank account" I can see your point because at first that would be the logic but read it like one long sentence with no periods (Thai language does not use periods or commas) and that is how they are stating it means...

In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

They then state, if you qualify for the $ in the bank, this is the criteria. But I agree the way it is written, why have the list of documents " the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account, or

Only can report from the front line, how they are calling it today. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

They then state, if you qualify for the $ in the bank, this is the criteria. But I agree the way it is written, why have the list of documents " the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account, or

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Its so refreshing to have a profesional of any persuasion say , you know you might be right.

It will all come out in the wash as they say.

Cheers SB

I am fed up with Thailand . I was told when I first came here in 1966 that the only good things were the Thai girls for F..king.

Thailand should remember that in 1942 they declared war on Britain and America and supported our enemies throughtout. Thailand did not protest about what happened on the Burma Death Railway. They were very fortunate that in August 1945 they did not have an atomic Bomb dropped on them --it was only because of the mercy of Britain and America that did not happen. It was originally proposed that Thailand became a British colony in 1945 and 211 Sqdn RAF was stationed in Bangkok. Thailand gave shelter to the Communist we fought in the Emergency in Malaya.

Thailand should also remember that Britain is one of the biggest if not the biggest investors in Thailand.

WHAT are the British embassy doing -- sitting on their Asses as usual .

I have been supporting a Thai wife and family here for Three years -- but I don't think I want to stay any longer and I doubt if I can get visa's for her and her Five children to go to UK.

By the way -- I get interest on my money in UK banks and only bring it here to satisfy immigration then back to UK -- Thai banks don't give interest and so we are robbed even more.

Sorry but I have to respond to this.

I presume your log in name is your service number. Your review of Thai history is simplistic, myopic and colonial (read bigoted) as is your point of view. Do you know how many Thais died building the death railway. The fascist m******* (self-censorship) government of Plaek (full name self-censored) capitulated to the Japanese with the promise of large parts of French Colonial indo-china (Cambodia). Many in the Thai military and government were opposed to this and assisted the allied government covertly. The declaration of war imposed by the Japanese was never delivered by the Thai Ambassador in the US for precisely this reason. The Thai royal family was also in exile in europe and the US. Your beloved Lords Mountbatten and Denning tried to colonise Thailand as a war "reparations" but were stopped by Truman. Instead they settled for punitive rice levies for many years. Allied POW's were aided by civilian thais at great personal risk, though of course there was profiteering by certain elements as in all theatres of war.

Communists from malaysia found refuge in South Thailand from the British government but also from the Thai government.

Incidentally today they are called Islamic terrorists. Only the titles change-they are seperatists.

I am fed up with Thailand . I was told when I first came here in 1966 that the only good things were the Thai girls for F..king.

What kind of statement is that? Why did you make it and what does it say about you? I would be ashamed of myself.

They were very fortunate that in August 1945 they did not have an atomic Bomb dropped on them --it was only because of the mercy of Britain and America that did not happen.

can you quote a reference book for that? "The thoughts of Chairman Alf" perhaps?

As a fellow Englishman myself you shame me also. :o

In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.
So is that actually saying that now a forigener can be supported by his Thai wife if she can show 40,000 bhat a month income. If so any idea if they would let you change over even if you qualified for the 400,000 in the bank bit previously

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Its so refreshing to have a profesional of any persuasion say , you know you might be right.

It will all come out in the wash as they say.

Cheers SB

It’s easy to be persuaded in this case, as we were on the same page this morning. The bottom line, we are not the ones that stamp the passport so we go with the flow, when they give warnings with “This is what it means" :D

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ernest Hemingway stayed in Cuba and Spain for extended periods - With visa hassles he would have gone elsewhere. The Buddha himself surely wouldn't be allowed to stay in present-day Thailand. Current rules would have booted the Indian/Nepali out as a vagrant from the get-go. Seriously though, there are all types who want to stay in Thailand. To show preference for richer folks who can afford back and forth jet trips to their far-away countries is bad for the ozone, with all those jets ripping giant seams in it. Yea, I'm a low income tree-hugger who wants to live on my humble farmstead in northernmost Thailand. I support two Thai families and don't even buy newspapers to save baht. The immigration authorities are doing more harm to Thailand than good, and they won't realize it for years.

I stay in thailand but i work overseas on a 28 -28 day rotation,so that would make me in the country for 84 days and away for 84 in a 180 day period,so how would the 90 day(30+30+30)visa on arrival new law affect me,as they way i read it,it would not affect me at all as i am away for 90 days overall,can anyone tell me if this would be the case.Thanks

So is that actually saying that now a forigener can be supported by his Thai wife if she can show 40,000 bhat a month income. If so any idea if they would let you change over even if you qualified for the 400,000 in the bank bit previously

Yes you can change over to income from your wife. They are quite clear on that point, it is allowed.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

RETIREMENT VISA EXTENSION BASED ON BANK ACCOUNT:

This change impacts alot of people RIGHT NOW.

Scenario 1:

People who have been already getting the one year extensions, and their extension comes up soon, making it IMPOSSIPLE to have the 800K in the bank 3 months prior if they didn't have it already.

Scenario 2:

Coming to Thailand with a single entry Non immigrant O visa and then applying for an extension based on retirement using the bank account balance SOON. Again, IMPOSSIBLE to have the 800K in the bank 3 months prior if they didn't have it already.

Please, someone with contacts to immigration, can there be a clarification about whether there will be a GRACE PERIOD after Oct 1 for the above two scenarios?

I would like to know why all the people living in thailand on a so called permanent basis do not become a citizen of Thailand and saves themselve the hazzle of forever obtaining vizas

Joking I hope, there are hundreds of thousands of people born in Thailand who do not qualify for Thai citizenship, they are called Karens, Akha, Lisu, Lahu etc. Their families may have lived here for 50 yearss but they are not THAI and neither is a farang. Welcome to the reality.

I am curious about that too. especially considering the number of chinese immigrants who now have thai surnames and high social anfd political rank. Considering how the chinese were ostracised and victimised int he 30's and 40's. When did the "Thais" start looking the other way?

...and whilst we are on the subject here's a new thread - What defines a Thai? Surname or something more?

My mother in laws family is Lao, my father in law is Thai/chinese, my wife and her parents are Thai (according to thier ID cards) My son is therefore genetically Lao/Chinese/Thai/English. Is he Thai?

...and what is English? I believe I am of mixed Roman-Angle-Saxon-norman descent. but I haven't had a DNA check!

Do the rules of Thainess change? Historically it seems so. The chinese immigrants have certainly learnt how to make the rules flexible. I do think that members of the vested economic elite today have selfish reasons for controlling immigration. They dont want competition or a level playing field and the political structure is a wall of protection for them. Of course protectionism and its obedient idiot child racism are present in all nations to a greater or lesser degree. However I do appreciate HRH's concern to maintain "Thainess" in all its beauty despite all the worldy commercial pressures bought upon him.

I hope my son is Thai after all, and that all children here will grow to become and retain not only their Thainess but become world citizens in a truer sense in our rapidly shrinking world.

My apologies to the moderators if I went off topic. feel free to post to a new thread! :o

I am astonished than any one person would consider another a cheat on the basis of shifting funds to enable succesful application to stay; if that person is then able to support themselves, eat out, rent a room, pay for mediacal care, suport a family or a whore in an essentially 3rd world nation, where one would expext gratitude for any form of spending providing a respect for this beautiful but painfully floored , ill educated, abused nation is maintained .(general response not just to chap above ,im sorry you just beacme the portal)

I agree entirely, I was with a nursing student from a nice family for 4 years, we got engaged, she graduated, our families met and were happy, it was almost a "normal" farang style relationship, we were ready to invest in a house together and then one day she up and left! I still dont know why despite her occaisional phone calls to see how I am 2 years on, I have never seen her since that day.

I thought I had met the only "real" Thai girl in Thailand and my relationship was "different" than everyone elses! but in fact in was jsut the same, no matter you're with the bar-girl, the High-so girl, the VERY average "middle class" girl,...

you have very little legal redress in Thailand so don't ever think "my relationship is different!" its not! Thailand is Thailand and Thai girls will be Thai girls and you will always be a farang.

Keep YOUR money safe.

Interesting to hear about Malaysia, I prefer Thailand too but things are starting to get me down here like the corrupt police system and farang are always wrong... my insurance premium just went up because of Thais hitting my car and corrupt or incompetent police resting the blame on my shoulders for being parked in the wrong place (of which there was no proof such as signs, lines, etc) only the police new that a long time ago they decided that you couldn't park there (in what seemed a perfectly good and safe parking spot that I had seen Thais use as parking before)... Justice system is scary with regards to farang!

I like others will be sticking it out, I have a pretty secure working visa and job but even that s a nightmare for my school! Such things as it takes 2 months to get a teachers licence but they would only give a 1 month visa extension! :o

plus a whole host of other irregularities... certainly dont make it easy!

I agree with Lapamita that Malaysia seems to have much friendlier enviroment for inviting foreigners in. I presume that Thailand have found that they have reached a point where they will be more selective.

I still prefer to live in Thailand though.

Marquess; valid point. I do not think that many considered the investment visa when looking for apartment in Thailand. Most foreigners either have job in Thailand already, have job abroad and only plan to use for visits or plan to retire here (obtaining retirement visa).

Therefore there are still many foreigner groups that could be interested in buying a condo.

In addition you seem to mistakenly believe that Thais do not like condos..? That is certainly NOT the case - in fact, as you probably know no apartment building can have more than 49% foreign ownership, so who do you think own the rest? (here we are talking the fancier/foreigner style ones - there are many more buildings with 100% Thai ownership - why would there be if they do not like condos?).

Cheers!

I agree that there are a great many Thais who own apartments / condominiums. Having said that I believe that there are many Thais (female) who form relationships with expatriates and they do try to steer one towards a house on a plot of land.

This was the case from my personal experience and my wife would have dearly preferred a house because she was well aware that I could not own it and she could.

I was as deep in with this lady as anyone who marries a Thai but I still had some hesitation in putting my money into a house. We ended up with an apartment in my name.

I would say to her (taking out the possibility of separating / divorcing) but just where would I be if she were hit by a car. Where would this leave me. (if we purchased a house)

I wasn't familiar with ufastructs at that time.

The long and short of it was that we separated some time back and I am still in my apartment.

what level of pension do you need to negate the need for cash in bank ?

65000 Baht/mth

I need some clarification... (hopefully by someone who knows what they are talking about) :o

...The 65000 Baht, does it have to be strictly "Pension" income, or can it also be investment income as long as you get it every month? Reason I am asking is, I have some rental income and two mortgage incomes from Canada, which add up to a lot more, but they are not Pensions.

Kurt

Like I really want to fly to the USA just to get

my workpermit visa extended!!!

Ridiculous.

I did just do my 1 year renewal last run,

so I guess I have no worries for the moment.

But I think I am listed as consultant...

But we do have a working company,

and it isn't just some guy getting

a work permit for his house's company.

And then not working.

Consulting bassplayer?

Consulting engineer, I guess will work, I am that.

And how do they define "Pension".

I have more than enough income,

but it ain't called a pension by any means.

As if the US Embassy can really vouche for your pension...

The lamest part is the apparent worry about supporting farangs.

it is patently the opposite!

Farangs are suporting Thailand, in no small way,

and in particular many Thai families via the farang's Thai wife.

This will destitute many a small family here...

Putting MULTIPLE Thai's on the dole...

But

As my friend here for 17 years said.

"It is a budhist country, everything changes.

When I start worrying, then you can worry."

Edited by animatic

On the subject of Retirement Visa:

Can we just confirm that a letter of Guarantee for the pension from the Embassey and the fact that it meets or is above the 65000 bht criteria will suffice ie money not needed in Thai Bank Account as mine is paid into a UK bank and I draw as I need it ?

Secondly each year I get a new letter of guarantee from the British Consulate even though my Pension is index linked and the Gross is different each year.

Why is original letter of guarantee not excepted each year

macb

Yes the letter from the embassy will suffice, you do not need the money in a Thai bank account as well as this letter of confirmation. You can also use a combination. For example my pension like probably most pensions is a little less than 800K pa BUT i have capital too so I can for example have a pension of 650K Baht per year and then have 150K Baht in a Thai bank account. In the past I have not kept 150K baht here as I earn more interest in the eh UK and also worry about the volatile nature of the Thai Baht, looks like now I may have to keep at least 150K Baht here almost permanently.

I used to get a new letter each year form the UK embassy showing them my new index linked increased pension. Th ePAttaya immigration office said that I only need the original letter if I am content to leave the pension figure as it was last year. So definitely NO need to get a letter each year and anyway the UK embassy charge a huge sum of 1600 Baht for the letter, way over the top IMHO. In a few years my state pension kicks in then I will be well over the 800K per year and make life a lot easier.

I feel sorry for those guys under 50 who want to stay retired here having made their money. Seems wrong that they should not get to stay here the same as an over 50 as after all it is excellent for the Thai economy and creates Thai jobs too. Very screwed up rule and bad for Thailand removing the means of these self sufficient and honest under 50's to stay here long term.